PDA

View Full Version : Help with Backpack filled with Tons of Gear and Gold

Old Man
March 7th, 2019, 11:10
Hey Community,

preparing a new Campaign. One Part will be Inventory Management. My Player loves Backpacks filled with Tons of Gear and Gold. Is there any Extension that help the Player see if Backpack or other container is full!

Thanks for Your help!

Old Man

Zacchaeus
March 7th, 2019, 13:58
Not that I'm aware of. You can add things to a container in the inventory by typing the container name into the location column, but that doesn't filter out the weight just for that item. The weight is calculated over all items carried.

You could potentially create a PC for use as a container to auto-calculate the weight but that seems overkill.

Old Man
March 7th, 2019, 14:16
Not that I'm aware of. You can add things to a container in the inventory by typing the container name into the location column, but that doesn't filter out the weight just for that item. The weight is calculated over all items carried.

You could potentially create a PC for use as a container to auto-calculate the weight but that seems overkill.

Yes, as I handle it bevor. But I like to bring the PC into the Situation do decide wath to leave in the Dungeon. And if they uses Mules to mange there burdon on the same Character...

As far as I know there ist a Coin Wight Calculation Extension witch work very well. I hope to find somthing that shows the total weight of all items stored into the container...

Zacchaeus
March 7th, 2019, 15:28
There is a coin weight extension here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41109-The-weight-of-the-coins&p=387476&viewfull=1#post387476

LordNova2
March 7th, 2019, 18:18
In some cases it might be wise for your players to set a minimal value on what to pick up, like if it is not worth at least 5gp per pound then it is not worth carrying around.
To make things interesting they can asses the values of the items themselves to determine if it is worth picking up.
Allot of this can be determined by their level. Like for early level players it might b worth it to pick up even the broken equipment to resell as scrap in town for that extra 10gp.

Otherwise the best way to figure out what each bag weighs would be to make each container its own NPC.

Alternatively, while it is more work, you could also use a spreadsheet to enter in the data to figure out what each container weighs.
You might be able to salvage bits of this spreadsheet (https://drive.google.com/open?id=11-TJ8ZRbrH4BkJKVMCCgsA09zBVPgmd0NXOhFx8ijFw), I made back in the dark-ages with Roll20. Keep in mind it was made for the Emerald Spire adventure in Pathfinder, so there is some campaign specific as well as system specific info/mechanics on it. Nothing like watching the players squirm when they have to pay a 30% tax on their new loot to the Helknights :)

LordEntrails
March 8th, 2019, 02:56
If you put things in a container on the PC inventory list, you can toggle the item from carried/equipped/uncarried. The total weight will change and you can do the math to figure out how much is in that container.

lostsanityreturned
March 8th, 2019, 16:47
I manually change it by putting the container into a container and labling it xx/30 lbs.

This has two benefits, A) containers will always be up the top of the inventory B) full containers will move down.

This is still a stopgap method and one can only hope that Smiteworks builds some functionality in when unity rolls around, as doing it through the ruleset system as is... messy. At least from the playing around I have been doing.
That along with if a player "unequips" their container that all of the items in the container also unequip, that would be nice.

Another alternative would be to port over the Pathfinder 2e bulk system to 5e, it is probably my favourite encumbrance system in any game of this type and the porting of it is my current personal project.

damned
March 9th, 2019, 00:24
Nothing in a backpack should be equipped...

lostsanityreturned
March 9th, 2019, 06:59
Nothing in a backpack should be equipped...

Dropped, nolonger held, the empty circle icon.