PDA

View Full Version : Permanent damage resistances

darklajid
March 6th, 2019, 06:07
Hi there.

Our PF group has two characters who have natural (permanent) damage resistances. For myself that'd be 5 vs acid, cold, electricity.

We're able to add this as an ongoing effect, by say adding an action for it and clicking on "I have resistances, dammit" whenever these accidentally get cleared. But that's.. less than optimal.

Is there any way to make this an ongoing (ideally: intrinsic, unchangeable) static property of a character?

I even dove a bit into the sources (I'm clueless, merely dangerous..) and ended up in EffectManager.getEffectsByType being called in the damage handling path .. but that seems to only look at active effects in the combat tracker, not permanent character properties (unless I miss something)?

Is there a way to do this?

Zacchaeus
March 6th, 2019, 08:43
When you create the effect set the duration to zero so that it never expends.

darklajid
March 6th, 2019, 08:49
When you create the effect set the duration to zero so that it never expends.

Thanks, I know how to do that, this is what I currently, manually, do. Maybe I was expressing my question weirdly: I'd love to see a way to

1) have automatic effects, without - say - clicking on my "Add Aasimar resistances" action. It's a permanent thing, having me triggering it to add it to the list of "currently active effects" feels weird.

2) have effects that are permanent if possible, to avoid accidentally clearing them when - say - removing something else that absolutely can go away (temp effects)

Is either of those things possible?

Moon Wizard
March 6th, 2019, 17:33
There is a Clear Expiring Effects option in the combat tracker menu to specifically clear effects with a duration, but leave non-expiring effects untouched.

In my games, we typically leave the PCs in the combat tracker, so we rarely need to re-add "permanent" effects. For my personal characters, I do as you are saying and create a Racial Traits section in my PC Actions tab to store these effects in case I need to re-apply as well.

There's no functionality for effects outside of the combat tracker.

Regards,
JPG

swbuza
March 10th, 2019, 08:16
Same. I never take the party out of combat tracker, so none of those things disappear.