PDA

View Full Version : Extension to alter SWADE Core skills

March 4th, 2019, 03:42
In the new SWADE rule-set the core skill are added to the character sheet by default. I'd like to make an extension that removes Athletics and makes a change to Notice to better fit my house rules. Pretty easy to just do when making a character but I'd like it to just be done by the extension.

I was hoping SkillManager.unregisterSkill("Athletics") would do the trick but I must be misunderstanding the syntax or it just doesn't work that way.

esmdev
March 4th, 2019, 03:53
It would be nice if the SWADE ruleset had an option to configure default skills individually, as some settings might call for alternative defaults.

edem
March 4th, 2019, 11:21
It would be nice if the SWADE ruleset had an option to configure default skills individually, as some settings might call for alternative defaults.

Even better would be a configuration option to disable skills - in a medieval setting, I don't want Electronics or Hacking to appear on the list at all, and right now I cannot simply hide it from my players. Yes, I can constantly tell them to ignore that, but having the option to just remove / hide skills from the list would be something I need to do once, not couple of times per player (especially if they are new to the setting or system). Even the option to add an "ignored" to the name would be nice.

Valyar
March 4th, 2019, 12:25
There should be switch in the options to control this, similar to the way the Era sets the skill set in Call of Cthulhu 7e ruleset.

Ikael
March 4th, 2019, 15:51
There is support to define own set of core skills. Dig little bit deeper or wait until I have time to showcase it.

March 4th, 2019, 20:55
Okay I found the initializeCoreSkills() and see you're pulling it from aCoreSkills in manage_gamesystem.lua. But my fu is too weak to make the connection how to override the array in my extension... I'll mess around with it more when my boss isn't popping his head in every 10 minutes :) But I may just have to wait. However, I can see that it's going to be easy to have your own set of Core skills once I understand the probably not so secret sauce. Really nice work. Thank you

Ikael
March 4th, 2019, 21:04
Here is the Bar that you can combine with your Fu

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="3.0">
<properties>
<name>Core Skill Sampler</name>
<version>1.0</version>
<author>Aki Heikkinen (Ikael)</author>
<description>Changes Core Skills</description>
<ruleset>
<name>SavageWorlds</name>
</ruleset>
</properties>
<announcement text="Core Skill Sampler v1.0" font="emotefont" icon="wildcard" />
<base>
<script name="CoreSkillDemo">
function onInit()
GameSystem.aCoreSkills = {
{
sName = "Common Knowledge",
sRecord = "reference.skills.commonknowledge@SWADE Player Guide",
sTrait = "d4"
},
{
sName = "Notice",
sRecord = "reference.skills.notice@SWADE Player Guide",
sTrait = "d6"
},
{
sName = "Persuasion",
sRecord = "reference.skills.persuasion@SWADE Player Guide",
sTrait = "d4"
},
{
sName = "Stealth",
sRecord = "reference.skills.stealth@SWADE Player Guide",
sTrait = "d4"
}
}
end
</script>
</base>
</root>

Ikael
March 4th, 2019, 21:08
Even better would be a configuration option to disable skills - in a medieval setting, I don't want Electronics or Hacking to appear on the list at all, and right now I cannot simply hide it from my players. Yes, I can constantly tell them to ignore that, but having the option to just remove / hide skills from the list would be something I need to do once, not couple of times per player (especially if they are new to the setting or system). Even the option to add an "ignored" to the name would be nice.

I do have plans to allow GM filter records in the campaign. For instance, filter what Skills, Edges, Hindrances and Gear (and more) are available. However it is not that simple feature to implement and will take some time to figure it out.

March 4th, 2019, 21:10
Ha got mine working right before I read this. (helps to use the full name of the array if you're going to redefine it) but your example there is much cleaner and should help everyone else out far more than my chicken scratches. Thanks again for the help.

edem
March 6th, 2019, 09:12
I do have plans to allow GM filter records in the campaign. For instance, filter what Skills, Edges, Hindrances and Gear (and more) are available. However it is not that simple feature to implement and will take some time to figure it out.

Cheers, looking forward to that. And even if I don't sound like that, I truly appreciate the work you put into this.