PDA

View Full Version : Looking for players [Stars Without Number][MST] Firefly-esque sci fi game

Dave
March 3rd, 2019, 16:41
FG License: Ultimate. Don't worry about buying a license.
Game System: Stars Without Number

Time Zone: MST (Arizona time - we don't observe daylight savings time).
Day of week and time: Sunday, 1 PM until 4 PM
If new game, planned start date: Character Creation / Session 0 on 3/17
Planned Duration & Frequency: Weekly, barring family or life issues.
Term: Until cancelled by Fox.

Text or Voice: Voice
Voice software used: Discord
Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? Doubtful.

Roleplay & Combat mix: Heavier on the Roleplay - OSR games can have a high lethality.
Number of Players in game & needed: Looking for six players total, would like to bring new blood into an established group.
Character starting level & equipment: Level 1.
Character restrictions: Prefer not having full psychics (partial psychic adventurer is OK).

Details of your scenario:

I'm looking to start up a new RPG campaign. It's set in the universe of Firefly, but let's rewind the clock 25 or so years. Whatever caused the Unification War is simmering, waiting to boil over. It's still where the PCs must "find a crew, find a job and keep flying." Like most of my games, this will be a sandbox-heavy campaign. We'll start off with the party having a ship and accepting a job to ferry refugees and arms from one planet to another.

Things to know about the game:

Weekly game on Sundays at 1 PM Phoenix time. Games typically run for three hours plus or minus 30 minutes. We don't observe daylight savings time, be prepared for a time change of the game if you aren't in Arizona.

Shooting to have the character creation session on 3/17 - I'll only be five Guinnesses in at that point. Then weekly sessions thereafter.

We'll be using Fantasy Grounds for this one. I have the Ultimate license, you just need the demo. Using Discord for audio and nerdy chat in between games.

Rule set is Stars Without Number, Revised Edition. There's a free players version available here (https://www.rpgnow.com/product/230009/Stars-Without-Number-Revised-Edition-Free-Version)!

I'm looking for six players to start off with. Reflecting on some of my more recent campaigns, I think we've had some personality clashes between players that have made the games less fun. I'll be deliberately trying to find a group that meshes well with each other.

Keeping the above in mind, I need the team to actively work together. Obviously, Firefly is a scripted show, so the audience "knows" Mal won't kick the Tams off of the ship (unless its dramatically appropriate), but in a game there isn't that certainty. Work together and try to make the inevitable disagreements fun.

It's an OSR game where the typical 1st level PC has 4 hit points. A semi automatic pistol does 1d6+1 damage. You'll want to avoid fights, unless you can make them unfair.

XP is going to be given out as follows: 1 point for attending a session, 1 point for contributing something to the campaign (a session recap, a piece of art work, bit of code, etc.) and 1+ points for accomplishing a character goal. It takes 3 xp to make 2nd level and 6 to make 3rd so leveling isnt onerous.

Hit me up on the Cortex (Firefly slang for the internet) if you have questions or want to sign on. I'd like to know who's going to be playing by the 10th.