PDA

View Full Version : Combat Tracker and attacks of opportunity

Wellness
March 1st, 2019, 22:18
I did a search of the forums but could not find a good answer so I will ask it here.

What is the best way to manage an attack of opportunity from a character when it is not his turn? So basically, a NPC, on his turn, tries to run away, generating an attack of opportunity from a PC. What is the best way to manage this in the combat tracker. Thanks in advance

Zacchaeus
March 1st, 2019, 22:34
Do you mean how do you signify that the PC has used their reaction or do you mean how should the PC make the attack?

If the former tick the React? box in the combat action part of the CT to signify that the PC has used their reaction.

If the latter have the PC drag and drop the attack and damage rolls (and saves and anything else) from their character sheet onto the NPC on the CT or onto the token on the map.

Trenloe
March 1st, 2019, 22:48
Or just use normal targeting - target the NPC, roll attack and then roll damage if it's a hit.

Wellness
March 2nd, 2019, 00:31
Do you mean how do you signify that the PC has used their reaction or do you mean how should the PC make the attack?

If the former tick the React? box in the combat action part of the CT to signify that the PC has used their reaction.

If the latter have the PC drag and drop the attack and damage rolls (and saves and anything else) from their character sheet onto the NPC on the CT or onto the token on the map.

Thank you. I meant the latter. This is the solution I was looking for

Wellness
March 2nd, 2019, 00:33
Or just use normal targeting - target the NPC, roll attack and then roll damage if it's a hit.

But if it's not the turn (in the combat tracker) of the PC making the attack?

Zacchaeus
March 2nd, 2019, 00:41
But if it's not the turn (in the combat tracker) of the PC making the attack?
That doesn’t matter, they can still target and attack as normal. Such things are not determined by whose turn it is on the CT.

Wellness
March 2nd, 2019, 00:49
I might be not understanding something. Let's take a simple situation. A PC is fighting a Goblin. Here a 2 scenarios:

1) It's the PC turn and the goal is to attack the Goblin. I could CTRL-Left Click the Goblin (to target), and roll attack + Damage. This I understand.
2) It's the Goblins turn and it wants to run away and the PC will have an attack of opportunity. If I CTRL-Left click to target, won't it be the Goblin (it's its turn) trying to target self?

LordEntrails
March 2nd, 2019, 02:04
I might be not understanding something. Let's take a simple situation. A PC is fighting a Goblin. Here a 2 scenarios:

1) It's the PC turn and the goal is to attack the Goblin. I could CTRL-Left Click the Goblin (to target), and roll attack + Damage. This I understand.
2) It's the Goblins turn and it wants to run away and the PC will have an attack of opportunity. If I CTRL-Left click to target, won't it be the Goblin (it's its turn) trying to target self?
#2, nope, you are the player right? The CT does not effect when a player can or can not make an attack, cast a spell or perform an action.

If you are the GM, then you will need to change things up slightly, but not much. I use drag and drop, but you can also set the PCs target via the CT and then roll/attack.

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2019, 03:10
If you're the GM left-click on the PC token on the map to select the token, then CTRL+left-click on the target token. This works for PCs (GM and players) and NPCs (GM).

Targeting is described here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Targeting

Wellness
March 2nd, 2019, 11:04
Ok, thanks to all of you. I just realised what was getting me confused. I am doing some play tests managing 3 PCs from the GM side. I did not think that there would be some differences from the Player client.

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2019, 15:16
For seeing what the players see, start a second instance of FG on the same computer as the GM instance and join game using a server address of localhost

This is invaluable when learning FG functionality and checking the difference between what the GM sees and what the player see.

Eriwan
October 7th, 2020, 18:36

Is there a way for the PC to tick a box when they themselves used their reaction? Both to unburden the DM and to let the players know who's out of reaction.

Zacchaeus
October 7th, 2020, 19:03
Is there a way for the PC to tick a box when they themselves used their reaction? Both to unburden the DM and to let the players know who's out of reaction.

No, only the DM has the reaction tick box. I find that players remember when they have used their reaction without needing to do anything.