PDA

View Full Version : Items Tab crashes my game

Davinci522
February 28th, 2019, 23:18
I have been running a 5e game for awhile now on my mac. About once a session when I try to open/search through the items tab fantasy grounds will crash. I am using the wine download but have also tested it on steam and it does the same thing. Is this something that is common for mac users? Is there any way I can troubleshoot this? I have turned off extensions and it still happens.

Moon Wizard
February 28th, 2019, 23:34
I haven't heard any other reports of this issue. How many modules do you have loaded in your campaign? How many pages of items reported for the list? You can try unloading content you aren't currently using.

I'm guessing that the Mac Wineskin probably runs 32-bit, which will limit memory usage to 1.7GB or so. Not sure if there's a way to check memory usage on Mac, or whether it's running 32-bit or 64-bit. Not a Mac user at all.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
February 28th, 2019, 23:52
I believe you can find the process memory on a Mac from something like: Utilities > Activity Monitor > System Memory.

Davinci522
March 1st, 2019, 00:08
I’ll have to check when I get home. I have turned off modules that I don’t use but I am still left with about 44 pages of items. It also doesn’t happen unless players are connected. I’m guessing that it’s trying to load it for them and taking too much memory. I do have a module of hombrew items. I can’t remember if it is shared with players or not but if I make it for DM only would that cut down on the memory usage?

Moon Wizard
March 1st, 2019, 02:20
No, the memory usage on the GM side would remain the same. The sharing won’t affect that.

Regards,
JPG

Davinci522
March 1st, 2019, 21:06
Yes. It is using 1.17GB of memory. I have 32 GB of memory on my Mac so there shouldn’t be a memory shortage.

Moon Wizard
March 1st, 2019, 21:13
Process memory (memory allowed to each program) is different than total memory (memory physically installed in your machine). 32-bit programs are limited to 2GB of memory, and part of it is reserved. Thus, the 1.7GB limit I asked about.

For this scenario, 1.2GB seems like it should still be in a good range.

Are you running the Mac build installed from the web site, or the one from Steam?

Regards,
JPG

Davinci522
March 1st, 2019, 21:24
The one from the website. I started with the one from steam and it still happened but recently it hasn’t even been launching so I just downloaded from the website and have been using that.

It happens about once a game. It’s not a big issue but is definitely an annoyance as it takes about 10-15 min to start it back up and get everyone connected.