PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used the Univ.Mod.ext for RotRl > 5e yet?

connivingsumo
February 26th, 2019, 21:32
Hello,

I did a quasi-quick search of the forums here to see if anyone here has converted Rise of the Runelords to 5e yet, but I didn't find anything. My search did produce the Universal Module extension thread, which I have downloaded. So I'm curious if anyone has used it for RotRl specifically?

My in-person game group plays once a month; we rarely miss a month but it does happen on occasion. We also tend to get sidetracked and joke around a bunch, too. So we started RotRl about 2 years ago, and mid 2018 I converted it from Pathfinder to D&D5e. One of my hopes for my FG Ultimate License is to have players that live far away be able to remote connect on bad weather/scheduling days so we don't have to miss game months. It would be great if I could purchase RotRl and use the uniModext to pull it into the 5e ruleset.

I know it won't work perfectly, I get that. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it with this campaign and what their experience was, lessons learned, etc.

Moon Wizard
February 26th, 2019, 21:42
If you own the FG module for RotRL and you use the Universal Module community extension, you should be able to load the module in a 5E campaign. The main consideration will be that you won't be able to view/use any of the item/encounter/NPC entries without getting errors (since those record formats are completely different between Pathfinder and 5E D&D); but you will be able to view/use the image/tokens/story/tables/manual entries without any issues.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
February 26th, 2019, 21:46
Specifics for RotRL itself? No, not really. But the issues will be pretty much the same for any PFRPG module being used in 5E - the RPG system specific data (NPCs, Spells, Items, etc.) will open with missing fields and raising errors - be prepared to essentially remake all of these things in 5E if you want to have everything from the PFRPG version in 5E.

But, you don't really have to have everything converted - use similar/equivalent NPCs, spells and items from 5E. Remake special items that you think the PCs will find and use.

The main data that is common across both rulesets, but is the interface to RPG specific in-game data, are the encounter and parcels records. Here you can unlock them and replace the links to PF NPCs with 5E NPCs (for encounters) and item link (for parcels). You may need to also change some links in tables.

connivingsumo
February 26th, 2019, 22:11
If you own the FG module for RotRL and you use the Universal Module community extension, you should be able to load the module in a 5E campaign. The main consideration will be that you won't be able to view/use any of the item/encounter/NPC entries without getting errors (since those record formats are completely different between Pathfinder and 5E D&D); but you will be able to view/use the image/tokens/story/tables/manual entries without any issues.

Regards,
JPG
This is what I was hoping for. I think having the images, tokens, and story is the bulk of what we'd need on FG. I'll have to buy it and the MM, but it seems like it wouldn't take much prep work to convert the encounters and NPCs.

Specifics for RotRL itself? No, not really. But the issues will be pretty much the same for any PFRPG module being used in 5E - the RPG system specific data (NPCs, Spells, Items, etc.) will open with missing fields and raising errors - be prepared to essentially remake all of these things in 5E if you want to have everything from the PFRPG version in 5E.

But, you don't really have to have everything converted - use similar/equivalent NPCs, spells and items from 5E. Remake special items that you think the PCs will find and use.

The main data that is common across both rulesets, but is the interface to RPG specific in-game data, are the encounter and parcels records. Here you can unlock them and replace the links to PF NPCs with 5E NPCs (for encounters) and item link (for parcels). You may need to also change some links in tables.
Based on what I was reading in the Universal Module ext. forum I expected the calculations on those things to malfunction, but being able to import the bulk of the maps, tokens, and story pieces is significant. I don't think it would be too difficult to do as you suggestion and remake some of the loot and NPCs/encounters.