PDA

View Full Version : Quick Poll - Do you use HEX Grid Maps?

Blackfoot
February 26th, 2019, 17:16
HEX maps are available but largely unsupported on FG.
(I don't think I'm out of line in stating this.. Doug and MW have said this in the past)

How many folks have an interest in HEX maps?
Obviously since this is a post to the forums it only represents a small percentage of actual FG users.. but hopefully it will give an idea of whether people are out there who are interested in HEX maps (besides myself of course).

Blackfoot
February 26th, 2019, 17:27
If you ARE interested in HEX maps... here are some of Moon Wizard's projects that you can vote for:

Pointers - Hex grid shapes (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40923)
Maps - Improved Hex Map Support (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=76540)
Maps - Space and Reach on Hex Maps (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=76539)

Trenloe
February 26th, 2019, 17:40
Why no "I don't use Hex maps" option? This seems like a pretty loaded poll - or are you just looking for a count of people who use them or like to use them? Not a representation of percentage of users who use them?

LordEntrails
February 26th, 2019, 18:25
Yes or yes :)

I voted yes. Not that I have a need to use them at this time, but I'm sure somewhere in the future I would want them for hexploration, spaceships, or something.

Blackfoot
February 26th, 2019, 19:15
Why no "I don't use Hex maps" option? This seems like a pretty loaded poll - or are you just looking for a count of people who use them or like to use them? Not a representation of percentage of users who use them?
The idea is to get a sense if there are a number of folks interested in using HEX maps... other options aren't relevant to the question.. if you want another option.. not voting is the, unwritten and yet universal, 3rd option. :)

epithet
February 27th, 2019, 00:41
I would rather use a hex grid for any outdoor area and many natural caves. I've been kvetching about the unsupported and jagged-lined hex grids in Fantasy Grounds for quite a while.

seycyrus
February 27th, 2019, 01:06
Hex maps are the Trebuchet of grid systems!

celestian
February 27th, 2019, 02:22

As the most bad *** Jaffa (https://i.pinimg.com/236x/e2/e9/de/e2e9de3fa15597183c21f888890070ed--stargate-universe-stargate-sg-.jpg) (Teal'c) has said many times.... "Indeed."

esmdev
February 27th, 2019, 03:41
I don't use hex maps but I would like too. The only thing holding me back from using them is no Champions ruleset to use them with. :)

Bidmaron
February 27th, 2019, 18:56
Pathfinder uses them for outdoor and travel. All encounters done in square grids

Xemit
February 27th, 2019, 20:23
Use them in some board games, but not in a RPG yet. So, no for FG.

Ampersandrew
February 27th, 2019, 20:26
c) none of the above

consider this a write in.

Valyar
February 28th, 2019, 16:59
I use hex grids and I would like better support. Equal to the square one.

Azaran
March 1st, 2019, 06:18
Hex mapping is the basis of most vehicle combat so enhancements to the core grid and hex system will only help future developments :)

dulux-oz
March 1st, 2019, 07:15
My "default" for new RPGs (that I develop) these days are Hexmaps - even for 10'-wide corridors. I was most disappointed when FG "reduced" some of the Hexmap functionality in an update a few years ago. I personally would love to see Hexmaps get the same level of functionality that Square grids get now in FG (and yes, I fully understand the coding challenges that that entails :) ).

epithet
March 1st, 2019, 17:53
Why was hex grid functionality removed or reduced? That seems like a poor choice.

Valyar
March 1st, 2019, 18:20
Why was hex grid functionality removed or reduced? That seems like a poor choice.
Probably because huge portion of the revenue comes from D&D based games where the grid is square. Development and support efforts probably went into that direction as expected. For the rest - if time allows. Quite sad. My 2c

epithet
March 1st, 2019, 18:31
Probably because huge portion of the revenue comes from D&D based games where the grid is square. Development and support efforts probably went into that direction as expected. For the rest - if time allows. Quite sad. My 2c
D&D uses hex grids, too.

I just think removing functionality is a damn shame.

LordEntrails
March 1st, 2019, 18:36
I just think removing functionality is a damn shame.
I suspect any functionality would only be removed if it was causing problems or wasn't working as desired and it was determined that fixing it was not worth the effort.

I would rather the SW team work on FGU, and not something that works well enough to get by.

Trenloe
March 1st, 2019, 18:36
The only thing to do with hexes that I can remember that was changed in the last 5 years (in 2013) was this (from the FG release notes): "Changed hex grid snap to snap to center only, instead of vertices and center" because of lots of issues snapping to vertices.

Blackfoot
March 1st, 2019, 18:56
Why was hex grid functionality removed or reduced? That seems like a poor choice.I don't think this is accurate.
I've been using the HEX maps pretty consistently.. and they seem about the same as they have been.

The snap issue that Trenloe mentioned is a pretty minor thing and I've added it back in to my stuff.

More the issue is the features that have never been a part of it.. space/reach/pointer coloring.. stuff like that.

Valyar
March 1st, 2019, 22:32
Pointers are also inferior, as Blackfoot said.