PDA

View Full Version : New Masks of Nyarlathotep

ransolot
February 25th, 2019, 18:25
Hello all.

Do we know if the newest release of Masks of Nyarlathotep is currently being worked on for Fantasy Grounds store release?

Trenloe
February 25th, 2019, 18:43
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45375-Masks-of-Nyarlathotep-7e-I-m-considering-porting-to-FGII&p=409390&viewfull=1#post409390

ransolot
March 2nd, 2019, 03:49
Nice!

MadBeardMan
March 10th, 2019, 15:11
Greetings All,

Been working on this for a number of months. It's a monster of a conversion.

There's regular news on my FG stuff on my Twitter feed.

So far I've converted the main text, still doing layout changes and sorting the fantastic number of images out. I'm upto Chapter 3 on that. I hope to complete the layout things in April, then it's a matter of adding in the vast number of NPC's and building the story elements.

A huge job but it's in hand. I use MoN as a 'calm down' whilst working on the Traveller ruleset and helping script the Vampire: The Masquerade ruleset.

Here's a screen dump of my MoN desktop, please note there's also going to be a theme to go along with the module.

Cheers,
MBM

ransolot
March 10th, 2019, 16:36
Awesome! Looking forward to it!

i3ullseye
March 11th, 2019, 16:13
Well, I know it is in work. And I am not sure if any input here at all will impact the final product. But let me chime in....

This is an immediately 'within the first hour' buy for me. And many others it would seem.

Will this campaign have items pre-set on the game Calendar with the GM fields populated? I know that some items dates can shift, but having that framework already set up would be fantastic.

Is each chapter, or even each side mission, going to be it's own loadable or unloadable Mod? Having a core Mod for all the underlying details, and then the ability to turn off or on different sections to conserve memory (and sanity) would be amazing.

Unlike the main books, any chance that some of the harder to read hand outs will also have text that is draggable to the chat screen?

Really can't wait for this one.....

Valyar
March 11th, 2019, 21:24
The theme should have extension for increased fonts size. This edition of Masks has so much text that the default font size is not easy on the eyes.

Zar
March 30th, 2019, 09:31
Greetings All,

So far I've converted the main text, still doing layout changes and sorting the fantastic number of images out. I'm upto Chapter 3 on that. I hope to complete the layout things in April, then it's a matter of adding in the vast number of NPC's and building the story elements.

A huge job but it's in hand. I use MoN as a 'calm down' whilst working on the Traveller ruleset and helping script the Vampire: The Masquerade ruleset.

Here's a screen dump of my MoN desktop, please note there's also going to be a theme to go along with the module.

Cheers,
MBM

Awesome!
Very interested.

Hector Trelane
March 30th, 2019, 10:37
And to add to the fun there’s this: https://www.syrinscape.com/store/?q=masks&order=featured&game-system=call-of-cthulhu&type=everything?fromcallofcthulhulanding

Haven’t listened yet to avoid spoilers on the off chance don’t have a chance to play!

Zar
March 30th, 2019, 11:35
And to add to the fun there’s this: https://www.syrinscape.com/store/?q=masks&order=featured&game-system=call-of-cthulhu&type=everything?fromcallofcthulhulanding

Haven’t listened yet to avoid spoilers on the off chance don’t have a chance to play!

-30 euros from my wallet

Hector Trelane
March 30th, 2019, 16:15
Wouldn’t it be sweet if MadBeardMan could integrate those sound links directly into the Story entries (and maps)?

There’s a couple ways for people to do that themselves, yes, but it’d be very sharp since the sounds are custom-built in this case.

Raz_Kabooz
March 30th, 2019, 20:17
Wouldn’t it be sweet if MadBeardMan could integrate those sound links directly into the Story entries (and maps)?

There’s a couple ways for people to do that themselves, yes, but it’d be very sharp since the sounds are custom-built in this case.

Hi Hector, if you can get the sounds set up, it will be great if you can run it!

ransolot
April 1st, 2019, 04:25
Greetings All,

Cheers,
MBM

Hey dude, do you have an approximate date that you think this may release?

lgozalvez
April 3rd, 2019, 18:38
Yes!, when this is going to be released? Eager...

KillerRabbit
June 30th, 2019, 10:18
Bump

Valyar
June 30th, 2019, 16:17
I like this bump. But I wonder on the price... :)

nKey
July 13th, 2019, 16:07
Man, I really want to play this campaign on FG. Any updates on the progress?

maugrim8866
August 22nd, 2019, 01:56
Any Update?

MadBeardMan
August 25th, 2019, 02:18
Any Update?

Back on it soon, finished the Traveller2E ruleset and some adventures, just waiting to find out what's left for VTM. Been converting Terror Australis recently as it's a lot lot lot smaller that'll be done next month (September) then it's full speed ahead, all text is converted upto and including Chapter 5, the long dull data entry will come soon.

Thinking aloud (and this was discussed for HotOE), would you like to see it released in chapters? not sure how that would work out for pricing, or just wait the extra time for it all?

Cheers,
MBM

maugrim8866
August 25th, 2019, 02:46
Back on it soon, finished the Traveller2E ruleset and some adventures, just waiting to find out what's left for VTM. Been converting Terror Australis recently as it's a lot lot lot smaller that'll be done next month (September) then it's full speed ahead, all text is converted upto and including Chapter 5, the long dull data entry will come soon.

Thinking aloud (and this was discussed for HotOE), would you like to see it released in chapters? not sure how that would work out for pricing, or just wait the extra time for it all?

Cheers,
MBM

Nice, Thank you for the update!
I would be okay with a chapter release, as long as when it is done the chapters work together.
Maybe a separate large .mod after it is all done?

Thanks again.

Cearlan
August 26th, 2019, 00:29
Personally I would have no issues with 'chapter releases' .... but, what if your group decide to miss chapter 3 out (trying to avoid too many spoilers here - though I think everyone who reading this at the very least is aware that the way it is written is fairly linear). After all players will do the least expected things for the least expected reasons.

MadBeardMan
August 26th, 2019, 00:35
Personally I would have no issues with 'chapter releases' .... but, what if your group decide to miss chapter 3 out (trying to avoid too many spoilers here - though I think everyone who reading this at the very least is aware that the way it is written is fairly linear). After all players will do the least expected things for the least expected reasons.

Ah yes a very good point @Cearlan.

You people would think I'm mad though, I own my own business and only get paid when I work, but I'm taking at least another 3 weeks off before returning to contract work to catch up on things. So I'm hoping to get back to MoN pretty sharpish as I want to run it over Winter, which is a few short months away. Can't think of anything cosier!

So what I think I'll do is complete it all in one go, but look out for updates when/if people find mistakes, though it'd be ace to get someone to beta it....

Cheers,
MBM

garrion_sw
August 26th, 2019, 20:57
I'm running MoN now and we are in London. I'm using the old 6e version with the 7e ruleset. Everything is working out fairly well. Of course there is the new Peru chapter and a few NPCs have changed, but I've loaded the new handouts and NPC portraits and just included them in the "Story" text right next to the old version. I'll certainly support you and buy the new one.

I think it would be best to release at once and not by chapter. Although written in a linear fashion based on the most likely order, each chapter stands alone and can be pursued in any order depending on the clues that have been found.

Zar
September 6th, 2019, 08:08
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=CHA23118FG2

It is not for the seventh. Why?

MadBeardMan
September 6th, 2019, 11:04

It is not for the seventh. Why?

It's old, it was released in 2011, it's for 6E. It's on sale at the moment.

I'm running MoN now and we are in London. I'm using the old 6e version with the 7e ruleset. Everything is working out fairly well. Of course there is the new Peru chapter and a few NPCs have changed, but I've loaded the new handouts and NPC portraits and just included them in the "Story" text right next to the old version. I'll certainly support you and buy the new one.

I think it would be best to release at once and not by chapter. Although written in a linear fashion based on the most likely order, each chapter stands alone and can be pursued in any order depending on the clues that have been found.

Thanks for your answer. I'm going to release it at once with all chapters etc. Back on it in 2 weeks.

Cheers,
MBM

Doomface
September 14th, 2019, 00:48
I've been outlining MoN for notes in my home group game. It's taken a disgusting amount of hours. I can barely conceive of how much you need to do. Thank you for taking this on.

MadBeardMan
September 14th, 2019, 13:50
I've been outlining MoN for notes in my home group game. It's taken a disgusting amount of hours. I can barely conceive of how much you need to do. Thank you for taking this on.

Nice, it's one huge campaign, 80% of the text is all converted, the hard work is to be done soon. Creating the NPCs etc and applying them into encounters and so on, in other words - making the fun stuff!

I've got the finishing touches to Terror Australis to get out of the way, then it's non-stop MoN!

Cheers,
MBM

BlackCultist
September 17th, 2019, 15:02
Nice, it's one huge campaign, 80% of the text is all converted, the hard work is to be done soon. Creating the NPCs etc and applying them into encounters and so on, in other words - making the fun stuff!

I've got the finishing touches to Terror Australis to get out of the way, then it's non-stop MoN!

Cheers,
MBM

Hi MBM, it's great to see all these projects being done, but I'm curious to know your thoughts on working on, what appears to be, quite a few 'biggies' at the same time? I'm a beginner dev (on my third now) but I find it takes me long enough just focussing on one at a time! :)

DireLlama
January 21st, 2020, 14:51

Is there any update on this? I'll be wrapping up my current campaign in about two months, and I'd love to be able to dive right into MoN... :)

Zar
March 12th, 2020, 18:23
Hello! Any good new from the Space?

John Bull
March 19th, 2020, 18:12
New Masks of Nyarlathotep for 7e is great and starts with nice little prelude in Peru.
Would happily join a group of investigators online

topekk
March 26th, 2020, 13:43
Is this project dead? It seems that @MadBeardMan is working on other stuff (which is fine it's his time) but it would be good to update the thread.

MadBeardMan
March 26th, 2020, 13:47
Is this project dead? It seems that @MadBeardMan is working on other stuff (which is fine it's his time) but it would be good to update the thread.

See my posts in a few weeks, the plan was to pickup MoN at Easter which is rapidly approaching. This virus thing happening which has us in lockdown may mean I can start sooner, my MGT2E update is happening very soon, which allows me to finish a book for Traveller, so that's my backlog cleared for MoN.

Cheers,
MBM

topekk
March 26th, 2020, 13:58
See my posts in a few weeks, the plan was to pickup MoN at Easter which is rapidly approaching. This virus thing happening which has us in lockdown may mean I can start sooner, my MGT2E update is happening very soon, which allows me to finish a book for Traveller, so that's my backlog cleared for MoN.

Cheers,
MBM

Thanks for the update. Your time is valuable and I'm glad you are allocating some to this project.

marqueA2
March 26th, 2020, 13:59
Ia! Ia! I just got MoN for Fantasy Grounds, hoping to start running it in a couple weeks after we wind up Flotsam & Jetsam. Too awesome!! However, I have noticed several images missing. For example, the 'Symbol of the Bloody Tongue'. There is a square 'image' there, but it is apparently blank. Is this a known issue? Did something go wonky with my download? Please advise!

MadBeardMan
March 26th, 2020, 14:20
Ia! Ia! I just got MoN for Fantasy Grounds, hoping to start running it in a couple weeks after we wind up Flotsam & Jetsam. Too awesome!! However, I have noticed several images missing. For example, the 'Symbol of the Bloody Tongue'. There is a square 'image' there, but it is apparently blank. Is this a known issue? Did something go wonky with my download? Please advise!

That's an issue with the older version of MoN. I'd email support and send them screen examples, that way they can get the dev on that to fix them hopefully!

Cheers,
MBM

DireLlama
March 26th, 2020, 14:39
Just chiming in - thanks for keeping us updated! Looking forward to get my hands on the module!

MadBeardMan
March 26th, 2020, 14:57
Just chiming in - thanks for keeping us updated! Looking forward get my hands on the module!

Heading back to work now (ie moving desktops!) have finished my v1.1 changes so that'll be sent over tonight, could be back on MoN the end of next week.

Huzzah
MBM

marqueA2
March 26th, 2020, 15:14
That's an issue with the older version of MoN. I'd email support and send them screen examples, that way they can get the dev on that to fix them hopefully!

Cheers,
MBM

Oh! Okay, I'll do that! Thanks!

Zar
March 28th, 2020, 10:49
Heading back to work now (ie moving desktops!) have finished my v1.1 changes so that'll be sent over tonight, could be back on MoN the end of next week.

Huzzah
MBM

That's a very good news!!

MadBeardMan
March 29th, 2020, 00:45
That's a very good news!!

Hello,

Just to keep you more posted as the date is closer to when I restart.

I sent the Traveller update tonight, I hope there's not much that comes back needing fixing. I also sent an adventure, and I've re-picked up the next book required, that's 80% complete and in the coming week I should be clear on that.

So I've already started to remind myself where I was, all of the text is in ref manuals, it needs laying out and images adding etc. The task post this is the data stuff, NPC's and making encounters, plus adding Story Entries to mirror the adventure itself.

I've got someone to beta it, so that's ace news!

Cheers,
MBM

HiHo
April 23rd, 2020, 11:07
Thanks MadBeardMan.
Just to let you know. Waiting anxiously for the NMoN, as are my players.
:D

Illian
April 29th, 2020, 23:12
Same here, very much looking forward to running this. Grabbed the ruleset when I saw that this was being worked on actively again. Glorious.

coltrain5041
May 1st, 2020, 12:47
Looking forward to seeing this come out. Players are excited as well!

amanwing
May 3rd, 2020, 07:29
Same here.

MadBeardMan
May 6th, 2020, 23:31
Evening,

Chapters 0 and 1 are about done, off to get tested at the weekend.

Posted a sneek-peek of it on my Twitter.

Onto Chapter 2-3 over the next few weeks.

Huzzah.
Cheers,
MBM

coltrain5041
May 6th, 2020, 23:34
Awesome, thank you for the update. Really excited to see this when its finished.

amanwing
May 22nd, 2020, 10:43
I guess the egypt chapter takes more time? Can we buy it chapter by chapter or do we need to wait until everyting is complete?
Would be very happy if I can get the egypt part as soon as possible.

MadBeardMan
May 22nd, 2020, 10:55
I guess the egypt chapter takes more time? Can we buy it chapter by chapter or do we need to wait until everyting is complete?
Would be very happy if I can get the egypt part as soon as possible.

Hi,

Interesting idea there.

Egypt is Chapter 4, technically 5 with the prologue and I'm finishing up the first few chapters (0, 1 and 2).

Not sure how you price things though either, as some chapters are far bigger than others, and you need the base book content for the NPC details and motivations.

Let me look again this weekend with a thought on when it can be released, Chapters 0, 1 and 2 are almost done (that's text converted, layout done, images added, npc's created, reference manual finished and the story entries added).

I did speak to my theme guy (Luthbel - who did VtM), he's doing a theme for this, but he's busy for at least the next month.

Cheers,
MBM

amanwing
May 22nd, 2020, 11:14
My mistake. I thought Egypt is 3 since we played intro, 1 USA, 2 England and now Egypt. But don't get me wrong I would buy the whole pack and pay upfront but would be happy for a partial release of the modules.

HiHo
May 23rd, 2020, 04:20
I'd be happy to just have Peru released to tide me over. :)
Looking forward to the release.

Heilemann
May 24th, 2020, 04:48
Super excited for this.

Blacthorn
June 7th, 2020, 14:03
If it's even possible to do, I would gladly pay for the whole adventure up front, and get chapters as they come out. Looking forward to this, such an insane(pun intended) adventure.

SAVeira
June 10th, 2020, 21:51
I look forward to this.

Framses
June 11th, 2020, 08:39
My group played the prelude two years ago, now we will begin New York. Looking foward to any news about MoN 7th for FG :)

Detroitus
June 11th, 2020, 14:41
Saw this in the store this morning...

SAVeira
June 11th, 2020, 14:44
Saw this in the store this morning...

That is an early edition. Missing the expansions of the 7E version like the prologue adventure in Peru.

Detroitus
June 11th, 2020, 14:47
Ah... I see. I didn't look that closely at it. Thanks.

Heilemann
June 28th, 2020, 12:49
Is there an eta on this?

smogzy
July 2nd, 2020, 00:13
Would also like to get a status update on this when you get the time. I have a group of itching to play this but we are holding off until its released so would be a day 1 purchase for me too.

MadBeardMan
July 14th, 2020, 18:24
Would also like to get a status update on this when you get the time. I have a group of itching to play this but we are holding off until its released so would be a day 1 purchase for me too.

Hi Folks,

Smonzy has sent me a PM, so here's what's happening.

Terror Australis will be sent to FG later this week, I just need to go through it again and check all is good.

MoN, just after I send TA I'll send the Intro/Peru, Chapter 1 and the Appendices to FG. Then if all goes well, Chapter 2-3 a month* later, then 4-5 the next month* and finally 6-8 after another month*(. I've been told I'll be WFH until next year and I tried a pub at the weekend and won't be back for a while, so I'll be doing more MoN. I'm back on MoN tonight.

MoN will be a full Ref Manual covering the entire book(s). Each Chapter will have it's own Module with the 'Story' elements, plus any NPC's etc taken from the Ref Manual Module. It's a lot of work, but getting there.

I've asked if we can release MoN as Chapters, but got told 'No'. I think the reason is that there are some books part-released, because the Dev has maybe not got the time, etc.

So that's the current plan, my Traveller stuff is pretty complete for the moment, so I have more time for CoC over the next 6-8 weeks.

Cheers,
MBM

smogzy
July 14th, 2020, 18:54
That's great new and thanks again for all the work you do providing content for the Call of Cthulhu and Traveller communities.

monkeyboy_9000
July 14th, 2020, 19:23
Excellent news MBM (apart from the lack of pub)

coltrain5041
July 14th, 2020, 20:14
Excellent news! Super excited to get to play!

MadBeardMan
July 19th, 2020, 02:11
Folks,

Just to keep you updated. In the past week, I've finished the large Traveller Book (Behind the Claw) that I was working on, that's gone to FG for testing. I've tonight, well 2am so it's morning, sent Terror Australis. This has cleared up my conversion backlog. It means that I'm back on MoN as Number 1 book. I shall endeavour to get the first chapters out to i3ullseye for testing later in the week, sadly I'm back at work and thus bored to death during the day!

Here's what's on my desktop atm, sorry for the large picture, it's not the width of my monitor as I need to have the PDF/Images open to the side. Been looking at a 49" beast but I think that's too big!

@Luthbel, the genius behind Vampire the Masquerade who also did the theme for Mongoose 2nd Ed Traveller for FG is a fan of MoN, so he's going to allow me to release a special theme he's building.

Cheers,
MBM

coltrain5041
July 19th, 2020, 15:39
Super excited.

MadBeardMan
July 19th, 2020, 17:39
Super excited.

Been working on the NPC's for Peru, they're all done as 'data', need to work on Tokens now.

Food time here though.

Cheers,
MBM

MadBeardMan
July 19th, 2020, 21:00
Been slowly working on the tokens, quite happy with this version, these are for the Introduction chapter, where it lists all the major NPC's. The NPC Token will have a neutral border, so players can't guess which side they're on.

Cheers,
MBM

Heilemann
July 25th, 2020, 01:51
Looking like this will be the release for FG. Going to have to find some way to tide use over after finishing Beyond the Mountains of Madness last week (well, I'm going to surprise them with The Black Rat next week, but we're running out of rail here! ��)

MadBeardMan
July 25th, 2020, 14:13
Looking like this will be the release for FG. Going to have to find some way to tide use over after finishing Beyond the Mountains of Madness last week (well, I'm going to surprise them with The Black Rat next week, but we're running out of rail here! ��)

Should get the finished MoN inspired Theme this weekend. Should finish Chapter 2 tomorrow.

Busy transferring things from old PC to new PC.

Cheers
MBM

siasrs
August 3rd, 2020, 20:18
I'm here just to voice my excitement for this release, as i am currently following the progress over twitter and reading the book.
I plan to run it over Fantasy Grounds Unity later this year.
Will sure be using the oficial Syrinscape soundset over discord to set the mood, i guess me and my friends will have a blast going through this campaing!

Grivenger
August 7th, 2020, 18:53
Thank you for taking the effort to get the new Masks of Nyarlhatotep ready for Fantasy Grounds. I'm awaiting the progress with eager anticipation

vegaserik
September 12th, 2020, 09:08
Any update to this?

esmdev
September 12th, 2020, 14:51
Any update to this?

Based on information that I've gleaned over time from a variety of sources, I would not expect it to be available until next year, at the least. It is something I'd love to have along with Orient Express, but they are huge and conversion is slow, and both are being done as side projects by community developers who aren't paid, so can only expect so much.

Coragem
September 13th, 2020, 13:46
Based on information that I've gleaned over time from a variety of sources, I would not expect it to be available until next year, at the least. It is something I'd love to have along with Orient Express, but they are huge and conversion is slow, and both are being done as side projects by community developers who aren't paid, so can only expect so much.

Developed by people who aren't paid? And somehow we'll have to pay a lot for it?