PDA

View Full Version : Backgrounds with standard license

Tabatha
February 24th, 2019, 14:21
Hi,

I'm new to fantasy grounds and still trying to figure things out. I bought the standard license and I noticed that I have only one background available if I make a character.
Did I forget to load something, or do I need to buy rule books to get different backgrounds?

GunnarGreybeard
February 24th, 2019, 14:32
With a Standard or Ultimate license you get the 5E Basic Rules and the 5e SRD (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32987-What-do-I-need-to-play-5e&p=277706&viewfull=1#post277706).

Tabatha
February 24th, 2019, 14:49
Yeah, I know - but I do not find a listing what is/isn't included in the basic rules.

For example, do I have only the Entertainer available if I buy the PHB - and the Faction Agent only when I own the SCAG? And in the Basic rules only the Acolyte is available, because that's the only one that I have listed.

Zacchaeus
February 24th, 2019, 14:56
Yeah, I know - but I do not find a listing what is/isn't included in the basic rules.

For example, do I have only the Entertainer available if I buy the PHB - and the Faction Agent only when I own the SCAG? And in the Basic rules only the Acolyte is available, because that's the only one that I have listed.

What's included in the Basic rules and what is in the SRD is what you will find in those modules.

The other modules such as the PHB, SCAG etc include other backgrounds, archetypes etc and are only found in those modules.

So, yes. You will only find the Entertainer if you own the PHB and the Faction Agent if you own SCAG (or your DM shares those resources with you).

Tabatha
February 24th, 2019, 14:59
Ok, I get it now.

Thank you for your help, you guys are really fast and nice! :)

Nylanfs
February 25th, 2019, 14:13
The 5e SRD is essentially a style guide for publishers as opposed to essentially everything and the kitchen sink that the 3e, 35e SRD is.

damned
February 25th, 2019, 21:49
The 5e SRD is essentially a style guide for publishers as opposed to essentially everything and the kitchen sink that the 3e, 35e SRD is.

It is a confusing position as well. There is also the Basic Rules which contain a lot more information but less Class/Race info. The Basic Rules are meant to be completely playable thru to Level 20. They dont get used as often as the SRD these days as there is a wider selection of Class and Race - though both still have only one background - than in the Basic Rules.