PDA

View Full Version : Moving PCs to another Campaign

Jingo
August 23rd, 2006, 05:41
Our PCs are nearing the completion of the free adventure "The Wizard's Amulet". I've purchased the PDF for The Crucible of Freya and have been converting that into a new FG adventure for our group to play.

My question: how do I import the player characters from the other campaign to this new one? There's probably an easy way to do this, but not exactly sure. It looks like they're all house inside the db.xml file. I suppose I can just copy and paste from there into the new db.xml.

But there's a lot of room for human error toying around with all those xml tags. Is there an easier way to do this? Some free tool that someone has come up with? Any tips or hints?

devinnight
August 23rd, 2006, 07:25
I'm no expert in XML, so this is what I did a while back when I started the 2nd part of my campaign. I had my existing players all log in to the new campaign and creat a character. No stats or anything just the name.
This created the right node in the new campaign database file.

Then I had them email their characters file from the previous campaign folder.
You can then copy the info from the older file into the new node in the new DB file. Make sure the node is started and ended correctly.

Thats how i did it anyway.
-D

PS I used the XIN xml editor it is color coded and worked for a noob like me.

Griogre
August 23rd, 2006, 08:11
My question: how do I import the player characters from the other campaign to this new one? There's probably an easy way to do this, but not exactly sure. It looks like they're all house inside the db.xml file. I suppose I can just copy and paste from there into the new db.xml.

But there's a lot of room for human error toying around with all those xml tags. Is there an easier way to do this? Some free tool that someone has come up with? Any tips or hints?
You can copy and paste them into the new db.xml file. Make sure you back up the old and new files in case of accidents. :(

I would suggest that instead of just trying to move your characters from campaign to campaign to campaign, in the future keep them in just one campaign - Call it something like Jingos Campaign. Then cut and paste the PCs into this campaign. The only thing in this campaign would be the PCs.

Continue to make you new campaign in a seperate campaign. When you are finished/ready export it as a module. Then activate the module in the Jingo Campaign and all the material in the module will be included into Jingos campaign. When you are finished with that one all you do is uncheck the module and the Freya stuff no longer displays in Jingos Campaign but player info stays. For the next adventure, do the same thing. You won't ever have to move the PCs again and you can get rid of the old module data.

Some people recommend you make your modules in one place and then delete the "sandbox" campaign. I disagree, because hard drive space is cheap - I just leave the campaigns I make into modules. Then if I want to add or change some thing quick in a module I do so in the module campaign and then quickly re-export it for use in the main campaign.

Toadwart
August 23rd, 2006, 09:27
I agree with Griogre.
I have a single 'primary' campaign and use modules to temporarily bring in stuff related to the current adventure. I also have a separate module for miscellaneous/generic maps and another for unidentified magical items (which I update before or after a session and re-export for use in the next session)

Creating and using modules can be a bit confusing at first so play around with them a bit to get a feel for how they work.
The main thing to remember is that once the campaign is exported to a module you can only make changes to that module by editing the original campaign that it came from and re-exporting. So it pays to keep the original campaign somewhere. (note: if you ever do lose the original campaign you can actually just change the module extension from .mod to .zip and extract the files from it)

also beware: after activating a module in your 'primary' campaign it will look like you can add/edit that module - by adding new story/item/npc elements or editing existing ones. However, some of those modifications (the edits only I think? or possibly all modifications?) will be lost when you de-activate the module.