PDA

View Full Version : Sharing modules with players should use opt-in approach

mac40k
February 22nd, 2019, 14:39
When starting a new campaign, everything in my module library is set to share with players as default. This forces me to drag and drop the "block player load" token onto each module I do not want shared with the players, basically an opt-out approach to module sharing. As the amount of content I have continues to rise, the list has gotten to the point where this is no longer a trivial task.

I would prefer the default setting be "block player load." This will allow me to quickly drag and drop the "allow player load" icon onto just those modules that I will need to share for the particular campaign I am setting up; an opt-in approach to sharing in other words. This would not only be faster, but just seems to make more sense, especially if one has multiple rulesets with lots of additional add-on content for each and self-made modules on top of that.

I just put this on the wish list, so please vote if you agree.

https://savagefgii.idea.informer.com/proj/savagefgii?ia=124263

Andraax
February 22nd, 2019, 15:15
GM modules now have "do not share" set by default. It's just that older modules have not all been updated yet.

Talyn
February 22nd, 2019, 16:40
Even better would be a list of which GM Modules are showing up as 'shared' on a clean, fresh campaign so they can be updated, if necessary.

Player Modules are shared by default, and that's not much of a problem, really. It's up to you (or the Setting) to determine which resources are allowed. If players load more than they need, they're just wasting their own memory (less of a concern since v3.3.6 finally).

mac40k
February 22nd, 2019, 22:05
Not all players are well versed in FG though. I don't need them loading 5e modules when I'm running Savage Worlds or vice versa and all modules I create myself, regardless of ruleset or campaign they are created for show up as "allow player load" as well. I would prefer not to have players looking through other modules during a game rather than paying attention. I can't control whether or not they surf the web or do something else, but I don't want to dangle stuff out there that potentially causes a distraction either.

Zacchaeus
February 22nd, 2019, 22:27
If you are playing Savage Worlds players (just like the DM) will only see Savage Worlds modules - they won't see modules for any other ruleset and will only see modules that are set as player modules by default for Savage Worlds. Player modules now default to being viewable by players which saved the need previously of having to go through all your modules and making them available to players which is a much better solution. All you need to do is to remove any that you don't want them to be able to use, which will be a lot less I suspect that you want them to use.

Trenloe
February 22nd, 2019, 23:21
If you are playing Savage Worlds players (just like the DM) will only see Savage Worlds modules - they won't see modules for any other ruleset and will only see modules that are set as player modules by default for Savage Worlds.
If mac40k is using the Universal Modules extension, then players will see modules that are allowed access for any ruleset. If these modules have the data in client.xml, then they will be automatically set to enabled by FG. Even if the Universal Modules extension is not enabled, Savage Worlds can have many different settings and so many different players guides, which are all automatically enabled.

I think mac40k has a valid request - maybe just a right-click option in the module activation screen to remove all currently set player access.

Trenloe
February 22nd, 2019, 23:25
To give you an idea, this is what is enabled for player access by default on my install, and I don't have all the Savage Worlds products in FG!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26408

Euchale
February 23rd, 2019, 09:26
I second this request. Even just making it so double-clicking the checkmark to turn off module sharing instead of having to drag and drop, would be an improvement.

mac40k
March 9th, 2019, 20:50
My modules screen for Savage Worlds looks similar to Trenloe's, with the addition of custom modules I have made myself for settings that don't have FG material available in the store, or just to customize the content for a particular campaign. So far the request has received 0 votes, so if you would like to support this request, please click on the link above and vote for it.

Talyn
March 10th, 2019, 15:31
Having this request on the Savage Worlds IdeaInformer isn't helping; this is a CoreRPG function and needs to be requested on the main Fantasy Grounds IdeaInformer. (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com)

I also agree wholeheartedly with Trenloe and others: a better UI (well, that goes across the board for FG honestly...) and simplification. Use a button to share/unshare rather than old-school dragging icons around one by one. Right-click to select/unselect all, etc.

GM BK
March 11th, 2019, 18:52
Wow! That's a lot of modules! I'm not quite there yet, but I'm not too far behind :) So, does having them all available for the players like that have any effect on performance? Like, RAM usage and such? My computer is a few years old, so I usually trim the available books down to just those that are relevant to the setting I'm running.

Trenloe
March 11th, 2019, 18:54
So, does having them all available for the players like that have any effect on performance? Like, RAM usage and such?
Only if they open the modules, yes.

GM BK
March 11th, 2019, 20:21
Noted! Thanks! :)

Ikael
March 11th, 2019, 21:36
I agree with Talyn that this feature request should be made for CoreRPG. I want to keep SavageWorlds as close to CoreRPG as possible and module activation feature is one of those features that are completely provided by CoreRPG.

If you want some sort of solution before official one you could use the latest SW Enhanced Library extension (1.50) to do what you just asked. When it is enabled in your campaign you can use new slash command: /modules disallow to mark each and every module in that campaign as blocked. There is no slash command to allow everything atm. If you feel brave you could also open all the modules with /modules activate or close them all with /modules deactivate.

mac40k
March 12th, 2019, 11:43
I agree with Talyn that this feature request should be made for CoreRPG. I want to keep SavageWorlds as close to CoreRPG as possible and module activation feature is one of those features that are completely provided by CoreRPG.

If you want some sort of solution before official one you could use the latest SW Enhanced Library extension (1.50) to do what you just asked. When it is enabled in your campaign you can use new slash command: /modules disallow to mark each and every module in that campaign as blocked. There is no slash command to allow everything atm. If you feel brave you could also open all the modules with /modules activate or close them all with /modules deactivate.

Awesome! This works for me. Disallow everything, then allow just the ones needed for the campaign. Thanks!