PDA

View Full Version : What DLC to start with?

connivingsumo
February 21st, 2019, 23:19
I looked over the first two pages here and found lots of good 5e threads, which I pleasantly tumbled down the rabbit hole to read them; however, I did not find my query.

What DLC is a good start for a “new to FG” 5e DM? I’m not new to DMing, but I’m just now going to purchase my Ultimate License (tomorrow or Saturday).

I suspect you’ll ask if I’m doing modules or home brew. Though Homebrew is certainly a future possibility, I’m going to stick with modules for now~ Mines of Phandelver for sure. The only other one I own (so far!) in hardcopy is ToA, so maybe that one unless someone makes a strong argument otherwise here.

For books (hardcopy) I own all of them, but for FG I was thinking PHB & XgtE? Should I just get the bundle? Is there other DLC designed for WotC modules that’s specific to FG (map packs, token packs, or?) that is also a “must have”?

Thanks for your help/opinion/advice.

Zacchaeus
February 21st, 2019, 23:29
Summary of what you may or may not want as far as core modules go https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32987-What-do-I-need-to-play-5e

For a first adventure Lost Mine If Phandelver. Xanathar for more player and other options. Volo/Mordenkainen for more monsters. A lot depends on your budget.

connivingsumo
February 22nd, 2019, 00:02
Summary of what you may or may not want as far as core modules go https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32987-What-do-I-need-to-play-5e

For a first adventure Lost Mine If Phandelver. Xanathar for more player and other options. Volo/Mordenkainen for more monsters. A lot depends on your budget.

Thank you! I did check out that thread/list.

I’m not completely clear on the difference between a pdf version of a book and the FG version of the same book, so that’s a significant piece to my question. I’ve got the impression the FG version comes (potentially) with tokens, dynamic automation, and FG integration, but that’s all I know... I think.

Then the other piece to the question was more along the lines of “In your opinion, what are the ‘can’t live without’ titles: books, modules, or other content such as map packs, token packs, etc.?”

damned
February 22nd, 2019, 00:36
If you start with the PHB and LMoP you will get a really good understanding of what you do and dont get from a FG module/DLC.
If you are unhappy with those you can contact support within 30 days.
I think you will see the value of those products and it will help you evaluate what you want to do next in terms of DLC.

Players Handbook
then an Adventure or Monster Manual (if running your own material rather than a Wizards adventure)

They are your best value items in terms of how much usage you will get from them.

connivingsumo
February 22nd, 2019, 05:01
If you start with the PHB and LMoP you will get a really good understanding of what you do and dont get from a FG module/DLC.
If you are unhappy with those you can contact support within 30 days.
I think you will see the value of those products and it will help you evaluate what you want to do next in terms of DLC.

Players Handbook
then an Adventure or Monster Manual (if running your own material rather than a Wizards adventure)

They are your best value items in terms of how much usage you will get from them.
PHB & LMoP - book & module - try out the content and see if I like it/it’s value. That sounds like a good plan.

If I buy the PHB here at the FG Store and then decide to buy the book bundle here on the FG Store, it sounds like the FG Store will know I bought the PHB already and will adjust the bundle’s content & price accordingly?

On that note, it sounds like buying the PHB here at the FG Store and then buying the bundle on STEAM would be no good because the two systems don’t track each other’s purchases, so you’d end up paying full price for the bundle and having 2 PHBs?

Zacchaeus
February 22nd, 2019, 05:06
Yes. Buy everything from the one place to get bundle discounts.

LordEntrails
February 22nd, 2019, 05:26
I will second the PHB & LMoP starting point.

I myself don't buy map or token packages. Their are lots and lots of free maps here on the forums and on google. Tokens I love monster tokens, but I'm too lazy to worry about the few monsters that the MM and other resources do not have non-letter tokens for to spend time replacing the few NPCs that use letter tokens with custom ones.

You may want XGtE etc to increase player options. I myself heard poor reviews of the additions available in SCAG, so I've never bought that one. But, research if you like the player options in it for yourself or not.

If you start doing homebrew, you will want the MM and other "monster" books etc.

Also check out the VTT format items available on the DMsGuild; https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?filters=0_0_0_0_0_0_45545_0
There are a great deal of awesome stuff there. I personally like "The Monsters of the Guild" for a bunch of well done and unique NPCs. Rob2E and Myrdin Potter have some really good "support" modules you should check out for enhancing FG or as time savers.

connivingsumo
February 22nd, 2019, 06:00
I will second the PHB & LMoP starting point.

I myself don't buy map or token packages. Their are lots and lots of free maps here on the forums and on google. Tokens I love monster tokens, but I'm too lazy to worry about the few monsters that the MM and other resources do not have non-letter tokens for to spend time replacing the few NPCs that use letter tokens with custom ones.

You may want XGtE etc to increase player options. I myself heard poor reviews of the additions available in SCAG, so I've never bought that one. But, research if you like the player options in it for yourself or not.

If you start doing homebrew, you will want the MM and other "monster" books etc.

Also check out the VTT format items available on the DMsGuild; https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?filters=0_0_0_0_0_0_45545_0
There are a great deal of awesome stuff there. I personally like "The Monsters of the Guild" for a bunch of well done and unique NPCs. Rob2E and Myrdin Potter have some really good "support" modules you should check out for enhancing FG or as time savers.

Thanks for your opinion; I think I’m going to go the PHB & LMoP route, and thanks for clarifying the map & token situation. I also like to make my own tokens so between that and the content I buy I should be good.

For player content, your assessment of SCAG is spot on. I have the hardback and there’s just not much there, and what is there is pretty campaign flavor specific and niche. However, if you like setting- specifically Sword Coast - then it’s worth picking up.

XGtE is really tempting! I play 2 different in-person games, a group of six & a group of five. PHB & XGtE are the most used hands down, so I’m really tempted to make that part of the initial setup.

Again, thank you for all of your input!

Myrdin Potter
February 22nd, 2019, 15:39
Lost Mines is good, but if you already play 5e, then other adventures are good as well. If you look at the store, you will see many 5e products available from non-WoTC sources as well. That is a real strength of Fantasy Grounds, so much content is available, including from dmsguild.com

connivingsumo
February 22nd, 2019, 16:08
Lost Mines is good, but if you already play 5e, then other adventures are good as well. If you look at the store, you will see many 5e products available from non-WoTC sources as well. That is a real strength of Fantasy Grounds, so much content is available, including from dmsguild.com

Myrdin Potter you must have a pretty solid crystal ball because that was my next question. Since Pathfinder, I've stayed away from 3rd party content just because it got so nuts in 3.5/Paizo. I was going to poke around the forums this weekend searching for people's experience(s) with the 3rd party FG content. Sounds like I've already got one solid 'YES' vote from you! :D

I like LMoP because it's a great, in-person starter adventure for newbs & veterans alike, so I am making the presumption it would be equally as good, if not better, here on FG in the context of the degree of care the designers and developers contribute here. That said, I'm going to run myself through some sections of it to teach myself how to both play & DM here. I suspect, sooner or later - maybe sooner - I'll be buying two bundles: the book bundle & the modules bundle.

I still need to read the T&C/EULA, but my tentative plan is to purchase my Ultimate License tonight or tomorrow morning and get myself up & running on my PC with (at least) the PHB & LMoP. Then on my Linux box sign up my kiddo with a DEMO account, or use a different email address for the DEMO account. At that point, I can start to both learn to play and learn to DM, while watching YouTube tutorials on my PC's other monitor, of course.

Since I quasi-know LMoP I'll know what to expect for results, etc. Basically I'm saying I won't have to learn anything new (like a module) on top of learning to play & DM here at FG. I don't care how many times I run the same story/content, I still love to play and DM those games.

This community has been beyond stellar since day/post 1. I suspect a very long relationship here, and am very grateful.

Myrdin Potter
February 22nd, 2019, 16:16
LMoP is as you describe, I was simply pointing out that if you know 5e already then you have other options.

As for 3PP materials, I convert for the store here and on DMs Guild, so I am somewhat biased. :-)

connivingsumo
February 22nd, 2019, 16:31
As for 3PP materials, I convert for the store here and on DMs Guild, so I am somewhat baised. :-)
:O Oh! So now I have someone to come & complain to! hahaha - I kid, I kid. ;) Well now I'm intrigued, so when I get some time today or tonight I'll be going to check out 3PP at the FG Store.

Also, thanks for your sig ~ I think I'll check out the purevpn.

Myrdin Potter
February 22nd, 2019, 16:35
PureVPN is good if you often travel and are in hotels. I am in Shanghai right now on a business trip, so it helps for great firewall reasons. Plus, it protects you more when you are on open internet.

Xemit
February 22nd, 2019, 16:37
You don't need a "Demo Account" to play with the demo version of FG. You just don't enter any user account info at all. You still run upgrades to ensure you have the latest software installed. When it prompts for user info on the upgrade, just hit the OK button and leave all fields blank.

The bundle discount only applies if you 'complete the bundle', which is to say you make a purchase that includes everything in the bundle in one purchase that you don't already own. So if you got the PHB by itself (at full price), and then go for the bundle, you get the remaining six books at the bundle price discount of those six books. If Smite Works later on adds another book to that bundle, you can again complete the bundle, buying just that one book at the bundle discounted price.

The info on buying all books either through Steam or Smite Works still applies. Buying directly from Smite Works puts more money in their pocket, instead of some in Steam's pocket.

Your budget will limit how you make your purchases. You save more if you go for the bundle all at once, but its value may be limited if there are books in there you won't really use. It might still be your best bet to get the PHB, and LMoP to get a taste of FG and then later supplement with what you use. You really know what books you already use at the table top, those will be your highest priority with FG.

Also, there are three 5e Bundles: Essentials, Adventures, and Completionist. They cover different non-overlapping groups of books/DLC.

connivingsumo
February 22nd, 2019, 17:06
You don't need a "Demo Account" to play with the demo version of FG. You just don't enter any user account info at all. You still run upgrades to ensure you have the latest software installed. When it prompts for user info on the upgrade, just hit the OK button and leave all fields blank.

The bundle discount only applies if you 'complete the bundle', which is to say you make a purchase that includes everything in the bundle in one purchase that you don't already own. So if you got the PHB by itself (at full price), and then go for the bundle, you get the remaining six books at the bundle price discount of those six books. If Smite Works later on adds another book to that bundle, you can again complete the bundle, buying just that one book at the bundle discounted price.

The info on buying all books either through Steam or Smite Works still applies. Buying directly from Smite Works puts more money in their pocket, instead of some in Steam's pocket.

Your budget will limit how you make your purchases. You save more if you go for the bundle all at once, but its value may be limited if there are books in there you won't really use. It might still be your best bet to get the PHB, and LMoP to get a taste of FG and then later supplement with what you use. You really know what books you already use at the table top, those will be your highest priority with FG.

Also, there are three 5e Bundles: Essentials, Adventures, and Completionist. They cover different non-overlapping groups of books/DLC.

The DEMO account was so I could DM with Ultimate on one device, and then "see what the player sees" on the other device/DEMO. This way I could essentially "DM myself" and get to experience both screens, both sets of tools, both views for what is & isn't seen like with Fog of War, etc.

I hear you on the bundles - I'm really torn if I should just take the plunge, or be 'picky.' I will likely end up buying PHB & LMoP (maybe XGtE, too) and then a week or two later end up buying a bundle or two... or three. :p

Myrdin Potter
February 22nd, 2019, 17:13
If you want to quickly see from the player perspective, start up the program and open the campaign. Start up a second instance of the program and connect to “localhost” as the server ID. You can then flip back and forth between player and DM on the same machine.

connivingsumo
February 22nd, 2019, 17:22
If you want to quickly see from the player perspective, start up the program and open the campaign. Start up a second instance of the program and connect to “localhost” as the server ID. You can then flip back and forth between player and DM on the same machine.

Ohhh - ok cool, wasn't sure I could do multiple instances on the same IP - nice. I sill need to read the EULA, just to make sure I'm not crossing lines.

Myrdin Potter
February 22nd, 2019, 17:24
Ohhh - ok cool, wasn't sure I could do multiple instances on the same IP - nice. I sill need to read the EULA, just to make sure I'm not crossing lines.

You are fine doing that. You can check for yourself but the method I described is the standard advice given by the moderators here.

connivingsumo
February 22nd, 2019, 17:26
You are fine doing that. You can check for yourself but the method I described is the standard advice given by the moderators here.

Will do. :D

Xemit
February 22nd, 2019, 17:37
You can get the two instances going on one PC as described above, but no more than that.

I've used this to set up a second player instance on a second monitor that I show to the players when we are playing at one table. One large monitor showing the map works great for that. Players use notebooks with smaller screens to manage their specific characters.

I've also used it for "GM training".

connivingsumo
February 22nd, 2019, 17:45
You can get the two instances going on one PC as described above, but no more than that.

I've used this to set up a second player instance on a second monitor that I show to the players when we are playing at one table. One large monitor showing the map works great for that. Players use notebooks with smaller screens to manage their specific characters.

I've also used it for "GM training".

Oh that's a really good idea, and makes sense why the devs would be okay with it. Interestingly, one of my local friends that I'm getting to come over to FG (from "the other") pondered if this was possible for our monthly in-person game. He'll be excited to know that it's not only possible but that people have been successfully doing it.

Xemit
February 22nd, 2019, 18:18
Search the forum and you'll find people who use a second instance to run a TV that is mounted into the playing table. The maps are then scaled so that the one inch grid is actually true scale, and then they place their miniatures on the map. GM drives tokens under their miniatures to assist with range and area of effect, etc.

These people are often playing on paper still, but use FG for GM automation and encounter maps.

There is even an extension to help with the mapping scaling function and recent changes to FG to make maps go full screen easier.

Trenloe
February 22nd, 2019, 18:24
Info on using FG at the tabletop here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33834-Map-resize-to-TV-resolution-for-Face-To-Face-games

I'll be using it for 2d20 Conan this Sunday. By Crom!

connivingsumo
February 22nd, 2019, 20:10
Search the forum and you'll find people who use a second instance to run a TV that is mounted into the playing table. The maps are then scaled so that the one inch grid is actually true scale, and then they place their miniatures on the map. GM drives tokens under their miniatures to assist with range and area of effect, etc.

These people are often playing on paper still, but use FG for GM automation and encounter maps.

There is even an extension to help with the mapping scaling function and recent changes to FG to make maps go full screen easier.
One of my developer buddies that I'm pulling over to FG is all about the automation. When I told him about clicking & dragging the class to level up your character sheet, heal spells on the target, etc. he was pretty stoked for all that!

Info on using FG at the tabletop here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33834-Map-resize-to-TV-resolution-for-Face-To-Face-games

I'll be using it for 2d20 Conan this Sunday. By Crom!
It's funny, the same friend I have (above) has talked about hanging a big screen TV in my dining room for the 5e games I run. I kinda chuckled him off and shrugged... sounds like there's a lot more folks doing this than I thought! :o

Trenloe
February 22nd, 2019, 20:37
It's funny, the same friend I have (above) has talked about hanging a big screen TV in my dining room for the 5e games I run.
Hang a TV? On the wall?

Put it on the table!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18996

connivingsumo
February 22nd, 2019, 20:50
Hang a TV? On the wall?

Put it on the table!

I have thoroughly searched the FG emoji base and have failed to find a "Holy Sh__!" face.

I suppose, in my dreams, I would get a nice giant flat screen, cut out the table, and set the TV into it with a nice, beveled edge with something like plexi-glass covering it for protection. Is yours set down into the table or just wobbley-rocking on the table's surface?

Crickey, that would be cool! ...pass the Bugles, please.

Trenloe
February 22nd, 2019, 21:05
Is yours set down into the table or just wobbley-rocking on the table's surface?
It's set on the table (with a single support underneath to give it stability) and is very stable for gaming purposes. A plexiglass insert to protect the screen. And I made a quick-and-dirty wood surround (quick release velcro on the corners as it's not a permanent installation) to stop dice rolling underneath and also keep any dice rolled on the plexiglass from falling off the edge. It's a simple solution, but works really well. At home I have a gaming table with a recessed center - and it fits quite well in that, with a bit of space for GM "things", but I also take it to other people's house and gaming stores, where it sits quite nicely on the table top.

connivingsumo
February 22nd, 2019, 21:11
It's set on the table (with a single support underneath to give it stability) and is very stable for gaming purposes. A plexiglass insert to protect the screen. And I made a quick-and-dirty wood surround (quick release velcro on the corners as it's not a permanent installation) to stop dice rolling underneath and also keep any dice rolled on the plexiglass from falling off the edge. It's a simple solution, but works really well. At home I have a gaming table with a recessed center - and it fits quite well in that, with a bit of space for GM "things", but I also take it to other people's house and gaming stores, where it sits quite nicely on the table top.

The coincidences are killing me. Here's my dev-buddy's comments (via Google chat)...

>>I sent him your TV-game table pic...

A: OMG! I am having a nerd-gasm

>>I blab about cutting out the table, inserting the TV, plexi-topper, yadda yadda

A: I was thinking making a box that houses the TV and we just place it on your table

>>I read your above post... <insert crickets chirping> :square:

I'm starting to think you two are the same person and are just messing with me!! :D ;)

Trenloe
February 22nd, 2019, 21:31
I'm starting to think you two are the same person and are just messing with me!! :D ;)
https://media.giphy.com/media/11Emiv9GVBh7Ow/giphy.gif

Myrdin Potter
February 23rd, 2019, 00:29
For 3PP, I have listed the ones I have done on DMs Guild here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36047-Myrdin-Potter-s-DMs-Guild-Offering

Once you have gone over to dmsguild.com, if you adjust the search criteria at the left to look for VTT files, others available for Fantasy Grounds will show up. Only FG has an arrangement with Dms Guild to offer VTT files.

With the exception of the pregenerated characters I did, I have concentrated on Adventurer's League or Guild Adept products that cannot have two listings. Others convert more less "official" products and can list them separately. I offer modules I converted for my personal game/personal use for free to the people that did the original module to help other DMs, so you get the FG files along with the PDF. The pregenerated characters show how to automate many effects, Rob Twoey also has a lot offered for free and has excellent additional automation packages for sale there.

LordEntrails
February 23rd, 2019, 02:02
I suppose, in my dreams, I would get a nice giant flat screen, cut out the table, and set the TV into it with a nice, beveled edge with something like plexi-glass covering it for protection. Is yours set down into the table or just wobbley-rocking on the table's surface?

Crickey, that would be cool! ...pass the Bugles, please.
Sit down, take a deep breath...

Have you Googled "Digital Game table"? You can not only find pictures and examples, but instructions too.

connivingsumo
February 23rd, 2019, 03:27
For 3PP, I have listed the ones I have done on DMs Guild here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36047-Myrdin-Potter-s-DMs-Guild-Offering

Once you have gone over to dmsguild.com, if you adjust the search criteria at the left to look for VTT files, others available for Fantasy Grounds will show up. Only FG has an arrangement with Dms Guild to offer VTT files.

With the exception of the pregenerated characters I did, I have concentrated on Adventurer's League or Guild Adept products that cannot have two listings. Others convert more less "official" products and can list them separately. I offer modules I converted for my personal game/personal use for free to the people that did the original module to help other DMs, so you get the FG files along with the PDF. The pregenerated characters show how to automate many effects, Rob Twoey also has a lot offered for free and has excellent additional automation packages for sale there.

Nice! I'll be adding that to the "to do" list (aka - check out) for sure. Thanks for the info and explanation!

Sit down, take a deep breath...

Have you Googled "Digital Game table"? You can not only find pictures and examples, but instructions too.

Yeah I've seen some of those- pretty crazy! I've never found instructions though... that might be kind of cool. My condo has a nice, big dining & kitchen area; large enough that I have an antique butcher's block right in the middle of the kitchen, and then a huge 8 person dining room table. A nice added touch is the 4' x 6' dry-erase board mounted on the wall. Good for kiddo's homework and "D&D 'Plans'"!

Anyway, I'd have to make a TV-Table-BOX that I could pull out and set onto the dining table. Maybe some day - that ever dangling carrot of "disposable income" - I'll be able to have a game room. Then I'll get real serious about the gaming table; of course, by then it'll be like holograms, and I'll actually have been dead for quite some time but my consciousness was uploaded to said game-table. :(

LordEntrails
February 23rd, 2019, 18:45
There are plans for a mobile TV box and I think Damned? was it who talked about his would help out too. But I can't find the link at the moment. Other interesting links;

For a full table, this article has links to hand drawn plans for the table; https://makezine.com/2015/12/08/how-to-build-a-high-end-gaming-table-for-as-little-as-150/
Not real detailed etc, but interesting.

I like how Geek Dad has designed and detailed things. His designs can be used as normal tables, where cup holders etc use a rail system so that they are hidden until needed or used. https://geekdad.com/2017/06/geek-chic-gone-build-your-own-gaming-table/

This post is a good list of resources; https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1335923/game-table-design-series-index

This one has a fun video to watch if you are a woodworker; https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/gaming-dining-table/

connivingsumo
February 23rd, 2019, 20:53
There are plans for a mobile TV box and I think Damned? was it who talked about his would help out too. But I can't find the link at the moment. Other interesting links;

For a full table, this article has links to hand drawn plans for the table; https://makezine.com/2015/12/08/how-to-build-a-high-end-gaming-table-for-as-little-as-150/
Not real detailed etc, but interesting.

I like how Geek Dad has designed and detailed things. His designs can be used as normal tables, where cup holders etc use a rail system so that they are hidden until needed or used. https://geekdad.com/2017/06/geek-chic-gone-build-your-own-gaming-table/

This post is a good list of resources; https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1335923/game-table-design-series-index

This one has a fun video to watch if you are a woodworker; https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/gaming-dining-table/

Nice links! Those are good for a "handy-man" type skill level. Sadly, I'm about as 'handy' as a foot; in fact, over at a Home Improvement forum, that's my user ID. Doesn't matter to me though, I still enjoy trying to make things, and doing home improvement type stuff. If you're not a natural then you'll never get better if you don't practice! :)