YamaShintaku
February 19th, 2019, 18:14
Three Pints Tavern and Inn.

esmdev
February 19th, 2019, 18:57
Nice! Thanks for sharing. :)

YamaShintaku
February 19th, 2019, 19:05
This is the Three Pints property, which includes the tavern, inn, stable, and marina.

GunnarGreybeard
February 19th, 2019, 19:12
Nice work!

YamaShintaku
February 19th, 2019, 20:24
Thank you for the kind words!

Here is the close-up of the Three Pints Stable.

LordEntrails
February 20th, 2019, 04:15
Thanks for sharing.

I'm always curious, what program did you use? Also, what resolution (pixels per 5ft square) are these at?

Also, a suggestion is to put an off-color 5 ft square near one of the left corners so its easy to align a FG grid.

Three of Swords
February 20th, 2019, 05:09
Very nice, ty!

YamaShintaku
February 20th, 2019, 21:52
Thanks for sharing.

I'm always curious, what program did you use? Also, what resolution (pixels per 5ft square) are these at?

Also, a suggestion is to put an off-color 5 ft square near one of the left corners so its easy to align a FG grid.

Thanks! I use Pro Fantasy's Campaign Cartographer 3+ / Dungeon Designer 3 / SS2 Symbol Sheets

Honestly, I do not know my pixels per 5ft sq, I just used the default setting when creating a new sheet.

Thanks for the tip on the box I like it. I'll do that from now on.

Trenloe
February 20th, 2019, 21:59
Honestly, I do not know my pixels per 5ft sq
You set that when you export.

In the Save As window in CC3+, select the image file type in "Save as type" and then click the "Options" button in the bottom right. You can set the pixel size for the exported file here.

YamaShintaku
February 21st, 2019, 01:16
You set that when you export.

In the Save As window in CC3+, select the image file type in "Save as type" and then click the "Options" button in the bottom right. You can set the pixel size for the exported file here.

96 pixels per inch.

Johnny Opie
February 21st, 2019, 16:44
Thanks. These are great.

Trenloe
February 22nd, 2019, 01:54
96 pixels per inch.
That in itself doesn't really mean anything and is the default for CC3+ without it knowing anything about your map. If we assume 1 inch is 1 grid square, and we apply 96 pixels per inch to your second map (the cool property map), which is 1110 x 800 pixels, we end up with 11.5 grid squares horizontally - which seems wrong for the size of this map, if we take the most common battlemap scaling in RPGs (5 feet per grid square).

A baseline of 50 pixels for 5 foot grid square is a good starting point for Fantasy Grounds maps. So, if I had a map that is 200 feet wide, I'd want 40 x five foot grid squares = 2000 pixels (with 50 pixels per 5 foot grid square). This is where the pixel size and print size settings in the CC3+ Bitmap Options dialogue come in handy - see the screenshot below.

If we don't know the pixel size we want for the file we're about to save, but we know how many grid squares there are or the map dimensions in feet, we can set the "Resolution" field to 50 pixels per inch, work out how many grid squares we have (count them or divide the dimensions in feet by 5 - you can get this in CC3+ using the Info -> Distance tool to measure the maps width and height) and enter these in the Print Size -> Width and Height fields (setting the units to "inches"). Once you've filled in the print size (and tabbed out of the fields), CC3+ will have automatically calculated the pixel size width and height based off the data you've entered.

Looking at the example below - I set the pixels per inch to 50, I then counted the total grid squares horizontally and vertically - there are 40 in each dimension. I entered this data and CC3+ set the pixel width and height to 2000x2000.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26406

NOTE: The recommended maximum map/image size in FG is 2048x2048 pixels. Above this and memory use within FG can get too high (even if the computer has lots of memory - FG has limited memory available as it is a 32-bit application). It's OK to have one or two maps a little bigger than this, but that's really an exception.

YamaShintaku
February 22nd, 2019, 03:09
That in itself doesn't really mean anything and is the default for CC3+ without it knowing anything about your map. If we assume 1 inch is 1 grid square, and we apply 96 pixels per inch to your second map (the cool property map), which is 1110 x 800 pixels, we end up with 11.5 grid squares horizontally - which seems wrong for the size of this map, if we take the most common battlemap scaling in RPGs (5 feet per grid square).

A baseline of 50 pixels for 5 foot grid square is a good starting point for Fantasy Grounds maps. So, if I had a map that is 200 feet wide, I'd want 40 x five foot grid squares = 2000 pixels (with 50 pixels per 5 foot grid square). This is where the pixel size and print size settings in the CC3+ Bitmap Options dialogue come in handy - see the screenshot below.

If we don't know the pixel size we want for the file we're about to save, but we know how many grid squares there are or the map dimensions in feet, we can set the "Resolution" field to 50 pixels per inch, work out how many grid squares we have (count them or divide the dimensions in feet by 5 - you can get this in CC3+ using the Info -> Distance tool to measure the maps width and height) and enter these in the Print Size -> Width and Height fields (setting the units to "inches"). Once you've filled in the print size (and tabbed out of the fields), CC3+ will have automatically calculated the pixel size width and height based off the data you've entered.

Looking at the example below - I set the pixels per inch to 50, I then counted the total grid squares horizontally and vertically - there are 40 in each dimension. I entered this data and CC3+ set the pixel width and height to 2000x2000.

NOTE: The recommended maximum map/image size in FG is 2048x2048 pixels. Above this and memory use within FG can get too high (even if the computer has lots of memory - FG has limited memory available as it is a 32-bit application). It's OK to have one or two maps a little bigger than this, but that's really an exception.

This is fantastic information and answers a few questions that I had as a new Fantasy Grounds participant and map creator. Thank you so much for sharing!

Trenloe
February 22nd, 2019, 03:34
This is fantastic information and answers a few questions that I had as a new Fantasy Grounds participant and map creator. Thank you so much for sharing!
No problem at all! I'm always happy to assist a fellow cartographer. :)

backwardoracle
May 23rd, 2019, 16:03
Thanks Trenloe, my mapping skills will benefit from this little nugget :), now to backward apply it to 200+ maps, lol