PDA

View Full Version : Esoterrorists - Full Extension Ruleset

damned
February 17th, 2019, 12:59
Hi guys,

Ive just built out a full working extension ruleset for Esoterrorists by Robin D Laws and published by Pelgrane Press

This extension requires MoreCore version 1.51 or later. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset

Place this extension in your \extensions folder. Create a New Campaign and choose the MoreCore ruleset and the MoreCore - Esoterrorists extension.

When clicking to create a new PC be aware that is takes a few seconds as the system populates the sheet with all the abilities and rolls.

The blank character sheet will look like this:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26354

You will need to click the shield next to each Ability that you wish to add points to and adjust the Max Number. You may also use the Cycler to change the chat Icon for that skill.
Once you have spent all your build points right click any of the number boxes and choose Reset All.
To use these Double Click the second box to spend a pool point.
You can Alt+Double Click to use an ability without spending a point (if directed by the GM).
You can Shift+Double Click to use an ability and to add the spend to the next Roll (the spend will be added to the Modifier
After you have finished spending your build points tick the small checkbox and next refresh of the Skill lists will hide all the skills that do not have any points assigned.

By default 7 Rolls are also added.
The General Ability roll is your all purpose roll. The default challenge on the Gumshoe Roll is 4. To adjust that type over the number in the red box. Dont forget to reset it to 4 after the roll.
If you are spending General Ability Pool points to improve a Roll these will be added to the Roll if you Shift+Double Click the Ability.
I have added Rolls for Handguns, Weapons and Scuffling as well as Damage Rolls for each. I have set the Attack Rolls to -2 which represents Unskilled. If you have Firearms, Weapons or Scuffling respectively you can adjust the Attack Rolls to 0. For Damage Rolls if you have Scuffling adjust the Damage Roll to -2 and if you have Weapons adjust the Damage Roll to -2.
You may add additional modifiers directly to the Modifier box if required or by spending pool points (Shift+Double Click).

Set your Maximum and Current Health.
Set your Hit Threshold to 3 (or 4 if your Athletics is 8 or greater).
Armor is unlikely however your GM may allow a +1 in Armor for sturdy clothing like a leather/heavy jacket).
In a combat contest the Order should be based on your Current Skill points for the skill being used - Firearms, Weapons, Scuffling.
Combat Rolls take Hit Threshold and Armor into calculation.

There are additional areas for:
Stability - Max/Cur and Notes
Personal Info
Sources of Stability and Pillars of Sanity
Clues and Contacts

I would love to assist anyone in building out Nights Black Agents, Gumshoe and Fall of Delta Green.
The build to another Gumshoe system should be fairly straight forward - new graphics/skin and new skill tables.

If there is enough interest in Gumshoe - particularly in Trail of Cthulhu (my favourite flavour) I would consider doing a full commercial ruleset with Occupations and Reference Manual etc.

damned
February 17th, 2019, 13:00
The Gumshoe SRD can be found here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47977-Gumshoe-SRD

NotRussellCrowe
February 17th, 2019, 16:08
Fantastic, damned!

VickyLyn
February 17th, 2019, 16:55
What a great job you've done!Super!

Hector Trelane
February 24th, 2019, 22:51
We used this ruleset today and got off to a fine start! It's clear there's a lot of functionality and flexibility that the MoreCore ruleset brings to the table. Here's an initial screen shot. More to come!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26458

damned
February 25th, 2019, 13:05
So we used the new ruleset last night and a couple of bugs reported have been fixed and a couple of small new features added.
Superteddy57 assisted with some funky code to reset parameters after a roll.
Now if the GM asks you to adjust the Roll Target to 3 or 5 it will auto reset back to 4 after the Roll.
Cleaned up a couple of graphics and layout things and fixed a bug in the /gumshoe roll.
PM me if you need the MoreCore beta for this Roll (ignore if 1.51 is out when you read this!)

New attachment added to first post.

damned
April 28th, 2019, 04:19
Version 6 has been uploaded.
This contains several fixes.
Please use in conjunction with the latest MoreCore build (1.51 at this time)

Hector Trelane
April 29th, 2019, 19:18
Thanks--I'll be sure to use this for this weekend's game session, where the updates can get a test-drive!

Hector Trelane
June 1st, 2020, 19:10
Heads up damned: the link to this thread is currently broken in the reference post here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37755-MoreCore-extensions&p=332030&viewfull=1#post332030

damned
June 2nd, 2020, 00:33
Thanks Tom!

CJR
January 13th, 2021, 14:25
Dear Damned

I am looking now attempting my first MoreCore extension for the Gumshoe game Casting the Runes. Would this be something you would be interested in working on? I can buy you a hardback and suspect Design Mechanism would be interested in a commercial release if you ever have time? I am writing a campaign for it to be published this year so am a bit busy. It is Design Mechanism not Pelgrane but uses the Gumshoe SRF

If you would like to make your Gumshoe work official and licensed I bet Cat would be very interested. Happy to put you in touch with a strong recommendation.

CJ x

damned
January 14th, 2021, 02:16
Hi CJR

I really enjoy the premise behind the Gumshoe system.
Someone is working on an Official Gumshoe conversion (but Im not aware of the details).
I suggest you pull apart the Esoterrorists extension and update it for Casting the Runes.
Unfortunately it doesnt really make sense for someone without a keen interest in the specific system to make a full commercial release of CtR as its current entire base is only 500 users/gms. Only a small fraction of those would become buyers of a commercial FG ruleset.

I have too many pet projects going on to even consider it right now - sorry.

CJR
January 14th, 2021, 05:28
Yeah I had no idea it was that small but yes absolutely: if you don't mind me messing with your code I will adapt it. Luckily the audience is big enough to commission my book :)

I worked out you can unzip files so have been looking at coding but guess I need to go watch some videos. I had no idea there was an official Gumshoe version on the way but look forward to that!

CJ x

damned
January 14th, 2021, 10:06
I took that number from Kickstarter -

485 backers pledged CA$ 24,337 to help bring this project to life.

At this stage I cant see it available on any other outlet (yet) so thats where my 500 number came from.
Providing you share it for free you are welcome to fork the Esoterrorists or Trail of Cthulhu extensions.

If you are not familiar with coding and coding FG extensions there is going to be a learning curve...

CJR
January 14th, 2021, 12:15
I'm OK at coding but Fantasy Grounds is a new challenge. Hopefully the former is rather more important though. Any useful resources?

damned
January 14th, 2021, 12:30
Im not a programmer - so dont laugh too hard -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_CulFJYs-M&list=PLsgd1zJLdiKVbJg6KJv668LyJXmfk25Yv

CJR
January 26th, 2021, 02:22
Nor am I, but lua proved very easy to learn compared with say Arabic (I taught myself that in lockdown). Thanks for all the help and support, and I now have a working Casting the Runes version. Just need to make the Health and Stability boxes a bit bigger (currently only displaying one digit) and then install the fonts I want in morning. Anyway your videos and work on Gumshoe made coding unnecessary.

I will test it and then if anyone would like a copy and if you are agreeable as it is just your code repurposed happy to share it. And now feel more comfortable with lua happy to try and work on new projects or help others

Don't know if I.mentioned my wife works for Pelgrane Press - Becky, Cat's assistant. CtR is Design Mechanism though.

damned
January 26th, 2021, 03:11
hadha khabar eazim

That is great to hear. I am 100% happy for you to share it out - well done CJR.

Say hello to Becky. Im a big fan of the whole Gumshoe premise. It has a clearly defined mechanic that helps keep investigative adventures moving forward.

Hector Trelane
January 26th, 2021, 06:56
Second the motion. Looking forward to seeing your handiwork.

PS Pelgrane is doing some of the best work in gaming ... my compliments.