PDA

View Full Version : Connection issues on Mac

shadybonsai
February 17th, 2019, 07:18
Not sure where to turn.

I downloaded the demo in hopes of getting a feel for if fantasy grounds was a good tool to use with my gaming group.

But it seems that every time i do a connection test it fails.

I've opened port 1802 on my router (Calix) with instructions from portforwarding.com but i still get a failed connection test.

I'm currently using a 2015 Macbook Pro and running Mojave. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Zacchaeus
February 17th, 2019, 09:10
Make sure that your network is set to private and that you have created an exception in your anti virus software for Fantasy Grounds. Other than that (and I'm not even sure if either of those things are a 'thing' on the mac) I'm not sure where to go. On windows I'd say post a screenshot of a tracert 8.8.8.8 but again not sure if that's a thing on a mac. It might be worth while hopping onto the FGC Discord; there's a few chaps in there that use macs and might know more than I do,

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40020-Join-Fantasy-Grounds-College-Learn-Fantasy-Grounds-learn-D-amp-D-and-then-play!

dmbrown
February 17th, 2019, 17:49
In your router make sure that you have given your Mac a static ip address and are forwarding port 1802 to that ip address.

I have High Sierra and after configuring my router as I mentioned earlier I have had no problems.

Do you have a modem/wireless router from your internet provider and a seperate router too?

shadybonsai
February 17th, 2019, 18:38
I have a modem/wireless router. I’ll give what you suggested a shot when I get home from work and let you know how it works out. Thanks for suggestions :)

shadybonsai
February 18th, 2019, 07:46
Still no luck. I have port 1802 open on my router settings, but i still fail connection tests.

dmbrown
February 18th, 2019, 18:45
Do you have port 1802 pointing to your Mac with the static ip address? You should be able to do this in your router. You mentioned you have a modem/wireless router do you also have a separate router?

Trenloe
February 18th, 2019, 18:56
@shadybonsai please provide the following info:

Open up FG on your Mac, click the "Load Campaign" button and then click the "<<Click to Retrieve>>" entry in the "External" address field - what do you see there?
Please provide the results of a trace route to IP address 8.8.8.8 - details on doing that here: https://www.liquidweb.com/kb/how-to-use-traceroute/
When you say " I have port 1802 open on my router settings" - what, exactly, have you done on the router? Just opening port 1802 is not enough, it need to be forwarded to the IP address of the FG computer. Please provide a screenshot of the port forwarding rule on your router.

The above information will enable us to help you further.

shadybonsai
February 18th, 2019, 21:23

shadybonsai
February 18th, 2019, 21:24

Please see the attached screenshots for requested information. Thanks in advance for the help :D

Zacchaeus
February 18th, 2019, 21:32
You didn't believe me on Discord?

Trenloe
February 18th, 2019, 22:42
There are a couple of issues here.

The internal IP address is 127. - which is an internal loopback IP address. So, this install of FG is not using the IP address of the computer to communicate on the local network. This will be setup/config relating to the Windows wrapper you're using. How did you install FG?

This is more of an issue - this shows that you are behind a couple of private IP addressed routers - more than likely in your ISP. Which means that standard port forwarding won't work, as the public IP address you've been assigned is shared with other users.

You have a couple of options:
1) Ask your ISP to help. Tell them you need port 1802 forwarded to your router for peer-to-peer gaming. They may be able to do this in their shared IP address space (if no one else has asked the same question) or they may move you to non-shared public IP addresses.
2) Use a VPN solution that supports port 1802. Some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43607-Port-Forward-Alternatives

Laerun
February 19th, 2019, 03:26
Not sure if this will help, but here goes nothing!?
https://fgc-kb.fantasygroundscollege.net/knowledge-base/mac-os-networking-for-fantasy-grounds-101/

jrowsey1
March 6th, 2019, 04:35
I am having the same issue hosting a game with my Macbook Air. I have forwarded port 1802 to the static IP address of my Mac - I used a windows 10 PC on the same IP address and passed the FG connection test on the PC, so I'm pretty sure the router has been configured correctly, but here's a screen shot of my port forwarding and traceroute results

I think the issue is the Wine application provided
"an internal loopback IP address. So, this install of FG is not using the IP address of the computer to communicate on the local network. This will be setup/config relating to the Windows wrapper you're using."

I've provided a screen shot for verification of this issue.

How do I fix this? Many thanks in advance!

damned
March 6th, 2019, 05:17
Most likely its a Mac Firewall Issue.
The FG uses the Loopback address - and the Wineskin listens on the OS physical interface.

jrowsey1
March 6th, 2019, 14:20
My Mac firewall is off.

dmbrown
March 6th, 2019, 18:48
It appears that the ip address in the first screenshot and the one in the second are different. 1st ends with .12 and second ends with .1

jrowsey1
March 6th, 2019, 19:54
That's correct. Wineskin is creating an Internal IP address different than the IP address of the Mac on my network. The Network IP address of the Mac matches that of the Port Forwarding on the router, but when I launch FG I get that "Internal IP Address" that's different. How can I change that "Internal IP Address" in the Wineskin to match the IP address of the Mac?

dmbrown
March 8th, 2019, 23:39
When I launched my FG and look, it doesn’t show me an external IP address, just an external one. I’d have to poke around wineskinsome more to see if there are any settings for ip addresses.

LordEntrails
March 9th, 2019, 23:33
When I launched my FG and look, it doesn’t show me an external IP address, just an external one. I’d have to poke around wineskinsome more to see if there are any settings for ip addresses.
Um, I think you need to clarify. Bolding on your quote is mine to show the confusion...

dmbrown
March 10th, 2019, 03:11
What I meant to say is it just shows me an external ip not an internal one.