PDA

View Full Version : Help With Cover Effects, Please, I'm Going Insane!

Boobox
February 14th, 2019, 22:05
Okay, I have no idea if this is even the right place to add it, but I've been at this effect for about an hour now and I still can't get it to work. I just got the program yesterday so I'm still new...anyway

I have 2 Custom effects set up that are simply (COVER) and (SCOVER) and they work well enough on their own, giving the [DEF EFFECTS +2/+5] respectively... which is fine and dandy amazing.

I'm trying to set up an effect that adds 2 to the attack roll if someone has COVER, and another that adds 5 if they have SCOVER. This is the effect I'm using

( Steady Aim;IFT: CUSTOM(COVER); ATK: 2 ) with a target of Self and duration of 1 round. So if they activate their ability to ignore cover, the rest of their attacks will have the bonus against cover to essentially negate it.

It doesn't work.... it will not add the 2 attack

HOWEVER if I use

( Steady Aim;IFT: CUSTOM(COVER); DMG: 2 ) it will give bonus damage against targets in cover

AND if I use

( Steady Aim;IFT: CUSTOM(COVER); ADVATK ) I'll get advantage while attacking someone in cover.

ALSO NOTE, it was suggested to do ATK:2 (with no space) and it's the same exact thing, so that's not it.

I think it has to be some kind of bug? Because I can't explain it to save my life, it makes no sense to me. Any help would be amazing... and yes I KNOW I can just remove the cover condition temporarily, or have them manually add the bonus or any number of other work arounds, but that's not the point... I want to get this to work as it should. Any help would be a life saver.

EDIT: ALSO, if I just put in ( ATK: 2 ) it works fine and gives me bonuses, but when I have it in that string, it doesn't work.

Moon Wizard
February 14th, 2019, 22:16
It might not be displaying in the place you are thinking. The attack roll and attack result are separate components of the attack action. The attack roll is not modified directly in that scenario, because that attack bonus is only relevant when the roll is applied to a specific target. The same attack roll could be dragged to a different target with different results later. So, it will only be shown in the attack result.

Using this effect ("IFT: CUSTOM(COVER); ATK:2"), I got this roll and result, which is correct. (See the [EFFECTS +2] in the attack result.)

Regards,
JPG

epithet
February 14th, 2019, 22:18
If your target has cover, your attack should be at -2. If your target has superior cover, it should be -5. Conveniently, there are -2 and -5 buttons next to the dice down below the chat window. Since cover is really something that has to be determined on the basis of a particular attacker for a particular target, I've never bothered with any kind of effect--I just tell my players what their cover situation is and they hit the -2 or -5 button. I do the same with flanking, my players just hit the ADV button most of the time when they have advantage. I only really use effects for things that apply to everyone for a round, like reckless attack.

Zacchaeus
February 14th, 2019, 22:35
Indeed, i’d Echo epithet here. If a character is firing into cover or superior cover just get them to hit the -2/-5 buttons. No real need to add an effect to the target. If a character can ignore cover then they would not hit those buttons and just make a normal attack.

Additionally there are cover and superior cover buttons in the modifiers dialog.

Boobox
February 14th, 2019, 22:40
Oh
my
god

It was working this entire hour I've been trying... I was looking at the big total, next to the dice that pops up before the modifiers.....

Thank you so much, you're an angel sent from heaven.

By any chance, can you make 1 full effect that also gives the +5 if the target is in SCOVER, as well as giving all damage rolls +2+half fighter level?

I know how to put those in as individual effects, but is it possible for them to all be the same effect?

Zacchaeus
February 14th, 2019, 22:51
You can chain effects together if you separate them with a semi colon such as ATK: 2; DMG: 2; SAVE: 2.

You may need to be careful if you are using IF statements since if the initial statement returns false it may ignore all of the rest. Also it depends on where the effects are needing to sit. You can’t chain two effects that requires one part on self and the other bit on targets.

Boobox
February 14th, 2019, 23:05
Yeah, I tried getting it to work like...

( Steady Aim;IFT: CUSTOM(COVER); ATK:2; IFT: CUSTOM(SCOVER); ATK:5 )

But it wouldn't work for the SCOVER

Oh well, i'll try fiddling with it later to see if it's possible to get it to work, but I don't think it is. If you can figure it out and send it my way, that'd be nice but this forum's already helped me a lot for one day. So thank you all!

Trenloe
February 14th, 2019, 23:18
Yeah, I tried getting it to work like...

( Steady Aim;IFT: CUSTOM(COVER); ATK:2; IFT: CUSTOM(SCOVER); ATK:5 )

But it wouldn't work for the SCOVER
It won't because the first IFT fails, so nothing after the failure is processed. Put them on different effect lines.

Zacchaeus
February 14th, 2019, 23:21
You need to think of the logic. The first statement will return false if the target does not have a cover effect on them. So the whole thing ends and it never gets as far as the second test.

Boobox
February 14th, 2019, 23:44
What does a different effect line mean? Like by hitting enter like...

( Steady Aim;IFT: CUSTOM(COVER); ATK:2;
IFT: CUSTOM(SCOVER); ATK:5 )

Or would the ";" that ends the 2 have to be on the second line?

I already know to put the +damage effect at the front of the IFT triggers, because that goes off regardless. I'm just not sure how to properly seperate them on different effect lines.

Or by effect lines, do you mean just have them as 2 separate effects?

Sorry for the barrage of questions and ignorance

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2019, 23:52
No, he means adding a second effect, all on it's own like you were doing.

Zacchaeus
February 14th, 2019, 23:57
Two different effects in the actions tab.

Nickademus
February 16th, 2019, 00:02
I was under the impression that COVER and SCOVER were already effect words that the ruleset looked for. They have their own effect graphic and apply the bonus to Dex saves as well as AC.

Zacchaeus
February 16th, 2019, 01:26
I was under the impression that COVER and SCOVER were already effect words that the ruleset looked for. They have their own effect graphic and apply the bonus to Dex saves as well as AC.
This is the case. The user was looking for a way to negate these effects if the character had an ability which allowed for cover to be ignored where it is present on a foe.