PDA

View Full Version : LFP: Pathfinder(1E, Houserules): Biweekly Curse of the Crimson Throne

DMReckless
February 12th, 2019, 04:10
Mythic Curse of the Crimson Throne

FG License: Ultimate, demo only needed
Game System: Pathfinder 1E with House Rules (see below)

Time Zone: EST
Day of week and time: Thursdays 7 PM
If new game, planned start date: February 21st or March 7th based on recruitment
Planned Duration & Frequency: 3 1/2 to 4 hours, biweekly
Term: long term, 1st- somewhere around 16th level, may take a year or two

Text or Voice: Both
Voice software used: Discord
Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? NO

Roleplay & Combat mix: shooting for 50-50 good mix
Number of Players in game & needed: 4-5
Character starting level & equipment: 1st level, average for class
Character restrictions: See House Rules and Character Creation below. Characters must be LG, NG, CG, or LN, no murderhobos, psycho- or socio-path types need apply.

Details of your scenario:
This will be a play-through of Paizo's Curse of the Crimson Throne adventure Path using a variety of House Rules and adapting it for Mythic Play. Curse of the Crimson Throne is the story of a group of heroes struggling to preserve and protect their home city while it undergoes tumultuous times. Gathered together by the hatred of one of the city's most despicable citizens, the PCs soon find themselves embroiled in trying to battle a mysterious plague and deal with the fallout caused by the death of the king.
I am looking for players who enjoy roleplaying heroes with a sense of justice and citizenship. Much of the AP takes place within a single city which the PCs should be invested in saving from its problems. I expect players to show up on time and be ready to play, and endeavor to do the same. Notice should be given if anyone cannot attend a given game.

I can work with players of any experience level with fantasy grounds, although I prefer at least some experience with Pathfinder for this particular campaign.

About Me: I am an experienced old GM - been playing and running games since the late 70s and Pathfinder since its alpha playtest. I have run the first part of this campaign a few times, and run several others as well. I am currently running two games- one each Saturday and the other on alternate Thursdays. I will be playing in an alternate Wednesday game as well. This game will be scheduled on opposite weeks to my Wed/Thu games, but I'm open to discussion of the day.

House Rules and Character Creation
The following house rules are being implemented in hopes of extending the ten-minute workday, boosting some classes, and tamping down on some out of control numbers one can achieve.

Sourcebooks
The following books are the only sources allowed for Races, classes, feats, spells, equipment, or any other feature of the character (anything on your charsheet): Core Rule Book, Advanced Players Guide, Ultimate Magic, Melee Tactic Tool Box, Advanced Race Guide, Mythic Adventures, Curse of the Crimson Throne Player’s Guide, Path of the Genius, Path of the Stranger. I reserve the right to add additional sources as they become available for Fantasy Grounds.

Classes
Alchemist, Bard, Cleric. Fighter, Inquisitor, Magus, Monk, Oracle, Ranger. Rogue, Sorcerer, Wizard; no archetypes will be allowed, but classes will be adjusted as follows:
All classes have been adjusted to have minimum 4+Int Skill Ranks per level. Classes with only one good save now have two good saves.
Monks have full BAB, d10 HD, and 6+Int Skill Points/lvl
Fighters count as having the Combat Expertise, Dodge, Improved Unarmed Strike, and Power Attack feats for meeting prerequisites for other feats. They never provoke attacks of opportunity by performing combat maneuvers. They have perception as a class skill. Armor training now also adds a dodge bonus to a fighter’s armor class (see bonuses below).
Rogues gain improved feint as a bonus feat at first level. (Rogue Sneak:) A Rogue learns to take advantage of cover and concealment when sneaking. As long as they begin their movement unobserved by a target creature and end it within five feet of a source of cover or concealment, a Rogue can roll a Stealth check as part of their movement and a target creature which does not meet or exceed this roll with their perception check fails to see the rogue. The rogue is considered invisible to this creature. Soft cover does not count as a source of cover for this ability. A rogue that attacks a creature becomes visible to that creature after the first such attack and other creatures observing the attacked creature may make another opposed perception check at +20 to notice the rogue after each attack.
Wizards gain free ranks in Knowledge (Arcana), Spellcraft, and one other Knowledge Skill.

Refocus
Refocus is a home-brew mechanic.
A Player Character gains a number of Refocuses per day equal to their Constitution or Charisma Modifier (whichever is higher) plus 1/3 their level (rounded down). A character may take a refocus action by spending 10 minutes in meditation/resting/practicing. They need 10 minutes of uninterrupted concentration to perform the refocus action. If this is interrupted, the character must make a Will save with a 20 DC or lose the Refocus with no benefit.
A character who has refocused may choose one of the following benefits:
A) If the character currently has at least 75% of their maximum hit points (rounded down), they are restored to full hit points.
B) If the character had at least 50% but no more than 75% of their maximum Hit Points, they regain a number of hit points equal to their Constitution or Charisma Modifier times their level.
C) Spellcasters may regain a number of spell slots equal to their highest mental attribute modifier. These spell slots must be no more than one level lower than the highest spell level the caster may cast, and regained slots must not exceed their spells per day for a given level. For example, a third level wizard with an 18 Intelligence would regain 4 spell slots. Since the highest spell level they can cast is 2nd, these must be 1st level or lower slots. Furthermore, since a 3rd level 18 Int Wizard may only cast 3 1st level spells per day, the Wizard would restore three 1st level slots, with the additional slot wasted since 0 level spells do not expend slots. At 7th level, the same 18 Int Wizard could restore three 3rd level slots and a 2nd or 1st level slot, since they have 4 slots to restore and a maximum of three 3rd level slots.
D) A Character capable of channeling energy may restore one expended use of channeling.
E) Bards, Fighters, Oracles, and Sorcerers have additional uses for refocusing; bards may regain bardic music, fighters may temporarily swap out bonus feats, and oracles and sorcerers may regain one (and only one) of their highest spell slots in exchange for a lesser slot or regain uses of limited use bloodline or revelation abilities.

Bonuses
Too many stacking bonuses leads to massive imbalance in the game, therefore the following type of bonuses are hereby grouped together. A bonus in a given group will not stack with any other in the group, you just get the highest bonus from among those listed in the group (penalties likewise only use the lowest modifier- penalties and bonuses oppose/stack against each other):

Alchemical, Enhancement, Resistance
Deflection, Dodge, Size
Competence, Insight, Morale, Perfection, Profane, Sacred
Circumstance, Divine, Luck
Epic, Mythic
Inherent, Racial
Natural Armor
Armor
Shield
Finally, untyped bonuses may stack to add no more than 2 +1/4 Character Level (rounded down) to any given ability. Trade-off bonuses (such as trading attack chance for damage with power attack) are an exception to this rule, and stack with other untyped bonuses when used.

Touch AC
Touch AC has a minimum of 10 + Reflex Saving Throw Bonus + (Deflection/Dodge/Size group highest bonus) – any Size Penalty.

Inspirations
Straight up stolen from D&D 5E, inspirations will be handed out throughout the game for excellent and memorable gameplay. They may be used to reroll any d20 roll, taking the better roll. This may be declared after the results of the d20 roll but must be declared before any other dice are rolled. They may also be passed to another player.

Character Creation

Using the restrictions listed above, each applicant should create a 1st level character using one of the following arrays: 14. 14, 14, 14, 14, 14 // 16, 14, 14, 14, 13, 12 // 16, 16, 14, 14, 10, 10 // 16, 16, 16, 10, 10, 10. Players may choose any Core or Featured Race (from Advanced Race Guide) except goblin, hobgoblin, or kobold. Only the alternate racial traits from the ARG are allowed for these races (no Alternate Aasimar/Tiefling abilities or types from other sources, for example). PCs should use the listed average wealth for their class. Any class with less than 4 ranks per level in skills gets bumped up to 4 (plus Int Mod.) Lawful Good, Neutral Good, Chaotic Good, or Lawful Neutral only. Max HP at 1st level. Characters choose 1 Trait from the Advanced Players Guide and 1 Campaign Trait.

Mythic
We will be using a limited amount of Mythic for this game. PCs will be gaining at least one Mythic Tier. Some of the challenges they face will also adapt Mythic materials.

kneebone
February 12th, 2019, 05:08
Count me in.

DMReckless
February 13th, 2019, 02:51
Four out of five slots filled, still room for 1 more.

DMReckless
February 15th, 2019, 17:47
Planning on starting on 2/21. Still room for one more.