PDA

View Full Version : Help with coding for Potion of Giant Size

Temmpest
February 9th, 2019, 18:47
This potion is available in the Storm King's Thunder adventure. The description is as follows:

When you drink this potion, you become Huge for 24 hours if you are Medium or smaller, otherwise the potion does nothing. For that duration, your Strength becomes 25, if it isn't already higher, and your hit point maximum is doubled (your current hit points are doubled when you drink the potion). In addition, the reach of your melee attacks increases by 5 feet.
Everything you are carrying and wearing also increases in size for the duration. When rolling damage for weapons enlarged in this manner, roll three times the normal number of dice; for example, an enlarged longsword would deal 3d8 slashing damage (instead of 1d8), or 3d10 slashing damage (instead of 1d10) when used with two hands.
When the effect ends, any hit points you have above your hit point maximum become temporary hit points.

Does anyone know how you would go about coding this to add it in the effects tracker?

Also, there is this Claw of the Wyrm Ruin that has the following abilities:

Wyrmslayer.
As an action, you can point the claw at a dragon within 30 feet of you. The dragon must then succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or gain vulnerability to all damage types until the end of your next turn. This property can be used three times. The claw regains all expended uses at the next dawn.
Wyrm Shield.
While the claw is displayed on your person, you have resistance to the damage caused by any dragon's breath weapon.

How would you code those effects?

Thanks in advance guys!

LordEntrails
February 9th, 2019, 19:00
You won't be able to do all of it. Or atleast I couldn't. Mr. Z and a few other gurus may step in with better advice, but here are the parts I can think can be set with an effect:

Where you will have to manually calculate the appropriate # value based on current value (since these are bonuses and not absolute values)
STR: #

There is a way to set reach, but not with an effect.
Can't think of a way to change HP max, though I can't find it, I think you can add TEMP:# hit points.
And all the weapon/damage is going to be unique for each weapon/character so I don't think you can easily do that either :( i.e. you would have to make another damage roll in teh weapon damage actions, not an effect.

Temmpest
February 9th, 2019, 19:11
Yeah, I figured it would be difficult if not impossible. Thanks anyway!

Kelrugem
February 9th, 2019, 22:10
For the strength effect: I do not know anything about 5e and its effects, my solution is for 3.5e but I assume it can be used in the same way there :) You can not set the strength value to something specific by an effect but you can do this with the strength modifier and basically all the important things are only dependent on the modifier (except e.g. for calculating the possible weight which one can carry, but there the effect would also not help) :) So when you want to put up an effect for this rather think about putting the strength to a modifier of +7 :) In my 3.5e games I put an effect in the actions type for my players:

STR: [-2STR]; STR: 14 enhancement

The effect does the following: It reads the actual modifier of the character sheet and subtracts the doubled amount. So when the player has an even strength value (10,12,14 etc.) then after "STR: [-2STR]" this player will have 10 strength. When the strength is an odd number (e.g. 11, 13 etc.) then after "STR: [-2STR]" the strength is at 11 (but observe that both, 10 and 11 strength, have a modifier of +0). Then after "STR: 14 enhancement" or "STR: 14" (and so on, depending on with which type of bonusses it should stack) the strength will either be 24 (for even initial values) or 25 (for odd), but both have a modifier of +7 :) Do not use "STR: 15 enhancement" because then you would have only a +7 modifier in the even case, the odd case would produce a +8 which you do not want. Would this help you?

Of course this is not universal and not completely perfect, especially when there are effects with strength damage then it is important if the damage has odd or even values, then you may have to tweak this manually since then the actual value of the strength is important. But I assume that this does not happen so often especially because one does not often use such potions at the same time when there is such a damage, isn't it? I am not sure :D In my playing sessions this effect worked perfectly so far :) And you can change the type of the strength bonus, depending on with which other strength effects it should stack or not stack :)

I hope this helps a bit :)

When the initial strength score is higher than 25 then the player is probably aware of that and then he simply should not apply this effect

If the modifier stuff is different in 5e then you might have to change the effect a bit :) (especially the enhancement bonus)

EDIT: So, with that effect you would not need to calculate the difference of the actual strength score to 25 over and over again when the strength score would be different or change

Zacchaeus
February 9th, 2019, 22:46
For 5e the strength is as LE says. If your character has a strength ability score of 14 then the potion makes that 25. So the factor is 25-14=9 so the effect you need is STR: 9. This will apply all the additional bonuses to attack, damage and ability checks based on strength.

For the actual size thing go into the CT and change the size of the PC to 15 and the reach to 10. The tokens will now reflect the correct size and reach.

For the additional damage there are two methods. Either create and effect such as DMG: 2d8, melee (this would be for a character who uses a longsword); or when the players want to do damage instead of double clicking click the damage and hold now drag a little right click twice to add two more damage dice and drop onto the target.

For the Magic item see the graphic attached.

LordEntrails
February 10th, 2019, 01:09
For the additional damage there are two methods. Either create and effect such as DMG: 2d8, melee (this would be for a character who uses a longsword); or when the players want to do damage instead of double clicking click the damage and hold now drag a little right click twice to add two more damage dice and drop onto the target.
Would either of these methods work properly with criticals?

Zacchaeus
February 10th, 2019, 01:19
Would either of these methods work properly with criticals?
Both. Assuming correct targeting on the hit. FG doubles all dice rolled from whatever source or method used after a critical hit.

Temmpest
February 10th, 2019, 02:49
For 5e the strength is as LE says. If your character has a strength ability score of 14 then the potion makes that 25. So the factor is 25-14=9 so the effect you need is STR: 9. This will apply all the additional bonuses to attack, damage and ability checks based on strength.

For the actual size thing go into the CT and change the size of the PC to 15 and the reach to 10. The tokens will now reflect the correct size and reach.

Zacchaeus, you're the greatest! Thank you!

Kelrugem
February 10th, 2019, 13:30
I read now the effects for 5e and indeed it should work with STR: [-2STR]; STR: 14 (but from the actions tab; otherwise [-2STR] doesn't work) :) But without "enhancement" of course, were not aware of the fact that there are no bonus types in 5e anymore :) (sorry for that :D)

GavinRuneblade
February 12th, 2019, 06:19

Can this be added to the 5e Effects wiki entry? This is good stuff!

Zacchaeus
February 12th, 2019, 09:17
Can this be added to the 5e Effects wiki entry? This is good stuff!

It is all in the wiki already really. I'd never be done with it if I added every potential item to it.

GavinRuneblade
February 13th, 2019, 04:48
It is all in the wiki already really. I'd never be done with it if I added every potential item to it.

That's why most wiki's are community efforts with editors. Many hands make light work.

Kelevraa
August 30th, 2020, 22:24
Only when the targeting self. I need to figure out how to manipulate the target's scores. If possible.

So, works 75% =]

Zacchaeus
August 30th, 2020, 22:54
Only when the targeting self. I need to figure out how to manipulate the target's scores. If possible.

So, works 75% =]
I don’t understand this statement.

Kelevraa
September 1st, 2020, 06:42
I don’t understand this statement.

It's using the persons stats who have the effect on their sheet. I tried targeting someone else (as potions can be applied to others) and it used the first characters stats for the calculation that was then applied to the second character, giving the wrong bonus.

If a party member wants to quickly toss a potion or apply it to someone else then they are going to have to link it in the chat, the other will have to drag it to their list, and then use it.

Would be easier if you could just drag the effect onto someone and it use the targets stats when you calculate [-2STR].

I feel like that's how it should work, but I removed an reapplied it multiple times and it didn't work properly until I made it target self and gave the other character the action on their sheet.

Zacchaeus
September 1st, 2020, 07:54
Indeed. As the wiki points out those are PCTags and therefore only apply to the PC that they are currently on. So you cannot use PCTags on another character - only the one that the effect is on. FG can't know that the tag should apply to someone else's ability score.