PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Custom Extension

Frumious Jabberwock
February 8th, 2019, 21:21
Hello everyone. :)

My players recently showed interest in playing D&D 5th Edition, so I decided to indulge them. However, we've become accustomed to some of the mods I've made to our regular game (which uses the CoreRPG ruleset), and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to make some of the changes work with the 5E ruleset.

I suspect that part of the problem has to do with the Wizard's 5E extension we're using for aesthetic reasons. I understand that it's preportedly encrypted for some reason, which in turn explains why I can't even find the bloody thing, let alone poke around in the various files to figure out what I need to change or add to a custom extension.

So, yeah, I was hoping some of you might be able to help me create a work-around for the following.

1.) I'd like to use a custom DM icon. The extension I was using (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27261-Extension-to-change-GM-portrait&p=243752&viewfull=1#post243752) doesn't work at all. I don't think this one has anything to do with the encrypted extension as the change doesn't even work with the base ruleset... but I'll be damned if I can figure out why. I can't even find the default icon to save my life.

2.) I'd like to change some of the slash commands to different ones, and the in-line help file that's displayed when you enter /help to reflect those changes. In particular I'd like to change /die so that it also works with /dice and /roll, but also a few other things.

3.) Last but certainly not least, I would like to remove the text bubble graphic and associated padding in the chatbox. This was relatively easy to do with the CoreRPG ruleset but, again, I can't even find the graphic for it anywhere, let alone the specific code that adds it in the 5E ruleset. We all find the chat bubble really unattractive and a distraction.

Any and all help would be appreciated. :)

Trenloe
February 8th, 2019, 21:43
My players recently showed interest in playing D&D 5th Edition, so I decided to indulge them. However, we've become accustomed to some of the mods I've made to our regular game (which uses the CoreRPG ruleset), and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to make some of the changes work with the 5E ruleset.

I suspect that part of the problem has to do with the Wizard's 5E extension we're using for aesthetic reasons. I understand that it's preportedly encrypted for some reason, which in turn explains why I can't even find the bloody thing, let alone poke around in the various files to figure out what I need to change or add to a custom extension.
D&D 5E is not an extension, it's a ruleset (layered on top of CoreRPG - a little like an extension). Look for 5E.pak in the FG rulesets directory, it's not encrypted.

damned
February 8th, 2019, 21:44
Hello everyone. :)

So, yeah, I was hoping some of you might be able to help me create a work-around for the following.

1.) I'd like to use a custom DM icon. The extension I was using (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27261-Extension-to-change-GM-portrait&p=243752&viewfull=1#post243752) doesn't work at all. I don't think this one has anything to do with the encrypted extension as the change doesn't even work with the base ruleset... but I'll be damned if I can figure out why. I can't even find the default icon to save my life.

2.) I'd like to change some of the slash commands to different ones, and the in-line help file that's displayed when you enter /help to reflect those changes. In particular I'd like to change /die so that it also works with /dice and /roll, but also a few other things.

3.) Last but certainly not least, I would like to remove the text bubble graphic and associated padding in the chatbox. This was relatively easy to do with the CoreRPG ruleset but, again, I can't even find the graphic for it anywhere, let alone the specific code that adds it in the 5E ruleset. We all find the chat bubble really unattractive and a distraction.

Any and all help would be appreciated. :)

Dont be damned. That jobs taken.
There are several GM Icon extensions that work with 5E in the list - might be one in my signature.

You can create new /commands - look for DMFirmy's Drop Lowest extension. I dont know f you can do what you want in this particular instance though.

Change the load order of your extension so that it loads last.

Frumious Jabberwock
February 8th, 2019, 21:44
D&D 5E is not an extension, it's a ruleset (layered on top of CoreRPG - a little like an extension). Look for 5E.pak in the FG rulesets directory, it's not encrypted.

I was referring to the "skin" or "theme" labeled as "5E Theme - Wizards," not the ruleset.

damned
February 8th, 2019, 21:47
Dont worry about what is inside the extension.
Its overwriting whats in the 5E.pak so just overwrite it again in your extension.
Look at Load Order.

Frumious Jabberwock
February 8th, 2019, 21:49
I get that.

My problem is that I don't even know what it's overwriting. I can't even find the related commands in the core 5E ruleset for some of the things I mentioned. I even searched the entire folder using Notepad++ for the phrase "SLASH COMMANDS" and it didn't find anything, ditto for any of the specific commands.

I'm totally at a loss. I didn't have too much problem doing this stuff with the CoreRPG ruleset.

LordEntrails
February 8th, 2019, 23:09
I doubt the phrase slash commands is going to be in the xml or lua files, but I bet if you search for one of the actual commands, like "/whisper" you will find that.

Frumious Jabberwock
February 8th, 2019, 23:14
I tried that earlier as well, along with a few other commands like "rollon," too. Results:

Search "whisper" (0 hits in 0 files)
Search "/whisper" (0 hits in 0 files)

I tried "SLASH COMMANDS" because that was how I found the relevant info in the CoreRPG rules I did; it appears at the top of the list.

damned
February 8th, 2019, 23:49
You need to roll back and understand how 5E works.

5E, like most of the rulesets in the last 5 years is a CoreRPG based ruleset. That means it loads CoreRPG first.

CoreRPG loads and defines a whole bunch of stuff.
5E loads and changes some things defined in CoreRPG and then adds a whole stack of its own things.
The Wizards extension loads and it may add some new things and/or change things defined in 5E and/or CoreRPG.

If its not in the extension, and its not in 5E then its in CoreRPG.
If its not in CoreRPG its in the engine and you cant change it.

Zacchaeus
February 8th, 2019, 23:54
Aren’t the slash commands part of the core ruleset. I doubt therefore you’ll find them in the 5e one.

Trenloe
February 9th, 2019, 00:36
As has been mentioned - 5E is layered on top of CoreRPG. The command you're looking for is registerSlashHandler - details here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/Comm.xcp#registerSlashHandler

Frumious Jabberwock
February 9th, 2019, 00:44
Oh, all right, that's what was confusing the heck out of me. I'll venture into that tomorrow and see if I can figure things out.

Thank you.