PDA

View Full Version : GMW Decal Maker for FG

Wintermute
February 8th, 2019, 03:46
Wow, two decal makers release on the same day. It's a great day to be a Fantasy Grounds forum member!

Make your own decal sets using the GMW Decal Maker for Fantasy Grounds.* Quickly turn your images into decals with only a few mouse clicks.* No coding, no XML editing.

Screenshots

Features:

Up to 15 images per extension (Does not resize images)
Save and retrieve decal sets to make changes
Works with all Fantasy Ground Rulesets
No Coding
No XML files to edit
Simple to Use

Video Tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVxhAw3IEPo

This software is for Windows, and I have tested it with Windows 10.

Here is the link for Valeros' Decal Extension Maker https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47834-Decal-extension-maker which alllows you to create decal extensions by importing a folder of images at once.

Change Log

v1.1.6.25 - Fixed XML Encoding Error, Aligned form fields, Added revision to version numbering scheme, added automatic update feature.
v1.1.5 - Initial Release

Download GMW Decal Maker Below

Click here to download (https://www.gmwcampaigntoolkit.com/y7hj)

Note: You will have to manually uninstall any old version before installing v1.1.6.25

Looking for more features?

I have added this standalone app to my GMW Campaign Toolkit and added additional features like drap and drop for the Decal Maker. Click here to learn more. (https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48071-GMW-Campaign-Toolkit-A-Theme-Builder-for-Fantasy-Grounds)

Zacchaeus
February 8th, 2019, 09:32
I can't keep up :)

damned
February 8th, 2019, 11:29
Do be aware that loading all these decals does consume additional memory :)

LordEntrails
February 8th, 2019, 22:56
Oh no! Competition!

Let see if we can get them into a price war :0

seycyrus
February 9th, 2019, 04:43
You mention in the video, but it might be worth pointing out in this thread that the decals need to be in .png format.

Wintermute
February 9th, 2019, 12:34
It supports both png and jpg. I used pngs that I had made in the video. I'll double check the video and do an edit if it's not clear. Thanks for pointing that out.

vegaserik
February 9th, 2019, 22:22
This is awesome! I've wanted to do my own decals since I started with FG and finally got big and brave about a month ago to create my own ext for a 5e Dark Sun campaign but this little beauty has made it so much easier! Thanks a ton!

vegaserik
February 9th, 2019, 23:01
It won't install saying a required dll could not be run ... any ideas my windows is updated and current.

Wintermute
February 10th, 2019, 04:22
What version of windows are you running and can you be a little more specific about the error message? Thanks

vegaserik
February 11th, 2019, 01:35
Windows 10 - and a few seconds after clicking the file this window pops up:

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

The same thing pops up on the theme maker as well.

Wintermute
February 12th, 2019, 17:08
@vegaserik Try downloading and install Windows .NET 4.6.1 Here is a link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49981

Let me know if that works.

vegaserik
February 12th, 2019, 22:49
Says I have it or a later update already installed. I think it's me, the last few weeks have been like this for everything hahaha

Moon Wizard
July 15th, 2019, 17:38
Just found one of the decals for this in the FG store that did not correctly escape ampersands in the extension.xml file for root.properties.name and root.properties.description. (i.e. AD&D -> AD&D)

Also, there was an unneeded extension2.xml.

Just thought I'd mention in case you hadn't already seen those.

Thanks,
JPG

Wintermute
July 15th, 2019, 18:39
Thanks, I'll check into it and push an update.

Wintermute
August 31st, 2019, 17:46
Version 1.1.6.25 has been released. Fixed XML Encoding Error, Aligned form fields, Added revision to version numbering scheme, added automatic update feature.
Note: You will have to manually uninstall any old version before installing v1.1.6.25

Download GMW Decal Maker (https://www.gmwcampaigntoolkit.com/y7hj)

dribur
November 3rd, 2019, 20:44
I have just installed and tried the app to build a custom theme. It's amazing how simple it works. a must in my list of favourite apps for FG!

now the question...When I use the /scaleui 70 chat option to get more space the in the desktop, the background image doesn´t fit the desktop. there is any option in FG to resize the background image automatically when scaling the ui?

Kind regards and thankg for sharing your work.

Wintermute
November 4th, 2019, 00:04
I'm glad you found it easy to use and are enjoying it. FG will tile the image, and currently there is no way to make the background image scale. Sometimes it's difficult to find a background image that will work well with the different screen resolutions of your players. I make all my background 1920x1080 (my normal screen size) and try to ensure that it will look good for players on smaller screen resolutions. Being a multiple monitor FG GM, I've learned to accept the tiling and less than perfect backgrounds on my end. One trick I use from time to time is to vignette the image and have it fade to black in order to make it look better when tiling.

Let me know if I can be of any more help. Make sure to post a screenshot to show us your creation. :)

Sarezar
March 7th, 2020, 08:23
Hey Wintermute

Thank you for this app! We now have a very cool decal/background in our campaign :)

Please excuse the beginner question but does the extension the app creates affect the desktopdecalpanel in desktop_panels.xml?

I posted a question about resizing this panel and Moon Wizard provided some instructions; unfortunately, it didn't work, so I wanted to check if this is due to me using an extension created by this app or if I am doing something wrong.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54142-Custom-Decal-Size&p=479071#post479071

Wintermute
March 7th, 2020, 13:58
Glad you are enjoying the app. No the app doesn't modify the desktopdecalpanel at all. It just adds new options (decals) to it. I have not tried resizing decals at all.

Klandare
March 7th, 2020, 19:49
Thanks for the app. I was able to make a decal extension for Mad Mage since it doesn't seem to come with one. I love the ease of use of the app.

Sarezar
March 8th, 2020, 22:49
Glad you are enjoying the app. No the app doesn't modify the desktopdecalpanel at all. It just adds new options (decals) to it. I have not tried resizing decals at all.

Thanks for confirming!

ljewell
May 16th, 2020, 03:34
Just downloaded your great app Wintermute! Worked great in Windows 10 (running on Parallels from a Mac). How is that for cross platform coolness?

Wintermute
May 16th, 2020, 04:11
After the hard day that I have had, that is most excellent news. Mac is the one platform that I can't test. lol

Any chance you would see if my toolkit works on the Mac? Link is in my sig.

Thanks for letting me know.

Just downloaded your great app Wintermute! Worked great in Windows 10 (running on Parallels from a Mac). How is that for cross platform coolness?

ljewell
May 17th, 2020, 16:02
Downloaded and running :). As long as a Mac has Parallels running Windows... it should be a snap to setup. What programming language are you using to make these?
Super awesome tools!

Wintermute
May 19th, 2020, 00:33
Awesome and thanks for testing it. I used visual basic, although in retrospect wished I would have used C#. lol

ljewell
May 19th, 2020, 16:52
For sure :). I hear Python is also good, but it's been a few years since I did any programming. Wintermute, thank you again for making these great programs. You are a rockstar!

asa34
September 5th, 2020, 23:08
Hey I just tried it out and it does not seem to work for me. I did it just like in the tutorial Video but when I start up FG and select the Decal it just shows nothing. I tried it out with different images but it's all the same. Can someone help?

Edit: I disabled all other Decals extensions, Set the Name of the Extension as Decal_'Name', and disabled the Feature: D&D - Official Language Fonts and now it works! One of those things fixed it, I didn't test exactly what. So for anyone who has a similar problem this might help.

PS: Great work Wintermute! Thanks it's amazing.

Cinero
October 5th, 2020, 00:18
This works as described. The easy-to-follow video makes it even easier. Good stuff. Thank you.

demonsamurai
December 23rd, 2020, 10:33
Hi, thanks for taking the time to share this. Does this work in FGU ? I have created the ext. file which is visible in the Extensions folder of fantasy grounds, but it doesn't seem to be visible in the options.

demonsamurai
December 23rd, 2020, 10:36
It ok, got it !!

adzling
January 1st, 2021, 18:33
Thanks for building this Wintermute but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working for me on fgu with traveller 2e ruleset.

I can generate the extension fine (in the extensions folder) but it doesn't show up as an option in the Options dialog box (i can only see the traveller ruleset specific ones that came preinstalled).

I also am not seeing the text notification in the chatlog indicating the wintermute extension has loaded.

any ideas? thanks!
--

user error, found the option to choose what extensions load on startup. duh.

Raefn Grimnirsson
February 6th, 2021, 01:47
What are the specs of the Image file that we should use for our custom decals?

Kelrugem
February 11th, 2021, 17:12
What are the specs of the Image file that we should use for our custom decals?

I didn't really mess with decals, but I kept it normally under 1mb and the sizes are never really bigger than 1024 (often way less than that) :)

Captcorajus
February 23rd, 2021, 03:28
I keep getting an "unexpected Token' compile error

neobio2230
March 8th, 2021, 16:40
I keep getting an "unexpected Token' compile error

Is it something like this?

[3/8/2021 10:39:09 AM] [ERROR] Extension Info Load (mydecals): 'file' is an unexpected token. Expecting white space. Line 42, position 43.