PDA

View Full Version : Update wiped out my entire campaigns folder

grimm182
February 8th, 2019, 01:32
I just did the latest update and it seems to have deleted everything in my campaign folder!!
I ran a scandisk to make sure it wasn't HDD related, i was able to recover from shadow copy but is this a bug?
All my campaigns were listed before the update...

still looking to see if it did anything more than this.

grimm182
February 8th, 2019, 01:37
Seems Portraits and Tokens were also affected...I had my tokens backed up but not portraits folder...grrrrrrrrrr

grimm182
February 8th, 2019, 01:39
And extensions, it is like it rolled my back to a clean installation...
Guess I will have to use a restore utility fml...

grimm182
February 8th, 2019, 01:59
Ran recovery tool and sure enough they had been deleted, yet bypassed the Recycle bin.
Perplexed as how this could have even happened!
I am on the Live build fwiw.
If I had not seen the files just before the update I would think hardware or user issue was the culprit!

damned
February 8th, 2019, 02:46
Are you on Live or Test?
Can you backup your data folder and rerun the updater?

grimm182
February 8th, 2019, 03:47
I am on Live. I did a backup and reran the update. normal behavior so far...
I ran all kinds of tests afterwards, drive health, event logs, stuck keyboard haha...this is a great mystery as I have been doing this for a very long time without a single issue.
Its now made me paranoid that my entire drive is flaking out (even if it tests fine).

Moon Wizard
February 8th, 2019, 07:45
I haven't heard of anything like this before. The only time FG deletes a directory is on uninstall, and when clearing player cache (and that's only the cache subfolder).

Regards,
JPG

grimm182
February 8th, 2019, 16:05
Yeah, have no answers yet as to why. I was able to recover everything i believe. The bizzaro thing were the select directories it deleted from.
If i find an better answer, I will post it. :)

LordEntrails
February 8th, 2019, 22:50
You don't have two installs do you? Or something that would have changed a registry setting to move/reassign your FG Data folder do you?

grimm182
February 8th, 2019, 23:48
I have a standard setup for FG, always have.
It is very possible at this point it was not FG triggered, i have scoured my drive and the only thing i know so far that was missing was some contents inside the FG Data folder.
If i had not seen the campaigns listed right before clicking update and then seeing them blanked out, I would not even suspect the update.

blueflame451
August 20th, 2019, 03:56
Know this is an old thread, but I just lost all my custom data (campaigns, self-made modules, tokens, portraits, Community made rulesset's I've downloaded) from the AppData folder. I'm not sure if this has to do with a recent update or from the fact that I just upgraded to Ultimate. Luckily I can recover much of it from an old HD, but that is a month or two outdated, so still losing something on current games.

Any thoughts?

LordEntrails
August 20th, 2019, 04:32
Hey, welcome to the forums. FG itself doesn't touch the FG Data folder when updating FG. It's more likely that somehow FG is now looking at a different location for your FG data. Check where FG is now looking for your data folder (use the folder icon from the FG launch screen). If that folder is empty, then try a search of your drive for something like "campaign"