PDA

View Full Version : Where are Weapon Ranges?

IngloriousBards
February 8th, 2019, 00:35
Hi all,

I'm just getting into Starfinder for FG, and really FG itself. I love how everything drops into place with all the information at my fingertips during a battle. However, I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to see a weapon's range in the middle of combat? If I drop in a creature or a character, I can see their actions, trigger an attack, roll the damage, and even track the ammo (so cool!). But right now, if I drop in a generic Aeon Guard Cadet from an AP into an encounter, I have no idea if it's rifle has a range of 20' or 150' which would have an effect on its chance to hit. Am I missing something obvious?

Am I suppose to remember the name of the weapon from the encounter window, stop what I'm doing in the middle of combat, click Items, enter "Imperial", click the blue icon to bring up the Imperial Pacification Rifle, and then scroll down to find it's range of 90'? As that's what I'm doing now and seems wildly unintuitive compared the rest of the way information is presented.

Thanks,

Tom

Zacchaeus
February 8th, 2019, 00:49
Range isn’t reported on the CT but you should be able to click on the link for the attack line of the weapon to bring up the details of the attack which should include the range.

IngloriousBards
February 8th, 2019, 01:10
Thanks for the response, Zacchaeus.

Where would I click in the CT to bring up the weapon details? Clicking on the Hand icon or the the little rifle icon does nothing. Clicking on the name rolls an attack, and clicking on the damage rolls the damage.

I don't know of a way to bring up the weapon from the CT, hence my list of far too many steps to find it in the item list.

damned
February 8th, 2019, 02:43
I dont think Range is particularly easy to find in any system other than maybe SR4.
It is one of those things that have room for improvement.
Id vote on the wishlist.

Halfront
February 8th, 2019, 03:10
I've never played Starfinder (yet), but in 5e I'm in the habit of adding the range of a weapon after the name of the weapon.

e.g. Longbow (150/600)

IngloriousBards
February 8th, 2019, 06:12
I've never played Starfinder (yet), but in 5e I'm in the habit of adding the range of a weapon after the name of the weapon.

e.g. Longbow (150/600)

Thanks, Halfront. That's unfortunately the only solution I can think of too.

Looks like I cannot edit a weapon and have it show on a pre-existing creature. The name of the item does not update the attack name. Instead, I would have to edit each creature's individual attack and append the range to the attack such as "Imperial Pacification Rifle (90ft)".

That is surprisingly quite a bit of fiddly work. Starfinder heavily emphasizes ranged combat which requires you to know three essential details (Am I in range? If so, then what's my attack bonus? If I hit, then what's my damage?), and yet one of those three bits of information is not close to being readily available during an encounter.

Look at a pair of Level 1 longarms: a Hunting Rifle has 90ft range and a Scattergun has 15ft range. Shooting at 90 feet would mean a normal attack with the Hunting Rifle and a massive -10 modifier for the Scattergun. Yet the GM is suppose to just know the different range capabilities of each weapon in the encounter or wade through the lists to look up a weapon during the battle?

I'm not sure how the folks here have been running combats without range available at their fingertips.

I've added it to the wishlist thread.

Tom

Zacchaeus
February 8th, 2019, 09:18
Sorry I may have made some assumptions that all ruleset were equal. In 5e (and I thought all core based rulesets that when the actions part of the NPC was open there was a list of actions and at the end of that list was a link to the action. So here's a picture of 5e and as you can see it is easy enough to click it to see what the description of the attack and damage is like; including the range.

Trenloe
February 8th, 2019, 18:43
The root cause is that Paizo doesn't include the weapon range in the NPC attack, they didn't in Pathfinder and they haven't in Starfinder. It's an issue running face-to-face or online. For example: "Ranged tactical semi-auto pistol +2 (1d6 P)" - that's all you get, attack bonus, damage and type.

Let's see if Samarex (the Starfinder dev) has some thoughts on whether doing something about this in the ruleset is possible.

Zacchaeus
February 8th, 2019, 20:10
The root cause is that Paizo doesn't include the weapon range in the NPC attack, they didn't in Pathfinder and they haven't in Starfinder. It's an issue running face-to-face or online. For example: "Ranged tactical semi-auto pistol +2 (1d6 P)" - that's all you get, attack bonus, damage and type.

Let's see if Samarex (the Starfinder dev) has some thoughts on whether doing something about this in the ruleset is possible.

One day I will learn not to get involved in questions about rulesets I know nothing about. :)

IngloriousBards
February 9th, 2019, 17:37
Sorry I may have made some assumptions that all ruleset were equal. In 5e (and I thought all core based rulesets that when the actions part of the NPC was open there was a list of actions and at the end of that list was a link to the action. So here's a picture of 5e and as you can see it is easy enough to click it to see what the description of the attack and damage is like; including the range.

I'm certainly envious. That would be a step in the right direction for Starfinder. We have similar icons in SF, but clicking on mine don't do anything.