PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my Coding?

Elijhan
August 18th, 2006, 22:04
So, I am new to the software and new to XML (though I have moderate experience in HTML), and I came across a problem while attempting to create something within a custom ruleset.

What I am trying to do is modify the d20 reference manuel to include more than just the basic classes. As a test, I created a node within the classes.xml file. I placed the following code beneath the races node and directly above the barbarian node.

<node name="new">
<stringvalue="name" value="New" />
<formattedtext name="text">
<p>Hi</p>
</formattedtext>
</node>

What occured when I opeded FG and the d20 Reference in game was the list as normal, except that there was a space in between Fighter and Monk (with its own button), but no "New" text-link. When I attempted to click on the blank space, FG had an error and was forced to shut down.

I made sure that the base.xml file was appropriately directing FG to classes.xml in the custom ruleset folder and everything. So.... What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!!!!

unimatrixzero
August 19th, 2006, 00:08
could try

<stringvalue name="name" value="New" />

regards
Uni

Elijhan
August 19th, 2006, 05:19
Yeah... who looks like an idiot..... lol, me!

Thanks for the answer!

Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead.... oi :)

tdwyer11b
August 19th, 2006, 05:40
It's really not that bad, just don't get into a hurry and try to code everything at once. Stop occasionally and test the ruleset, cause it makes it easier to track down problems, without having to search through alot of code to find the problem. After awhile it gets to be pretty routine stuff.