PDA

View Full Version : Is there a SPELL keyword for effects?

BruceDM
February 5th, 2019, 22:07
I want an effect that grants resistance to a damage type if it a spell, but not if its from a different source.

I also want a SAVE: 3, but only vs spells

Anyway to do that? I didn't see anything in the wiki or docs

Zacchaeus
February 5th, 2019, 23:00
The only possibility is Magic resistance. Placing this effect on a PC or NPC will give advantage to saving throws specifically against saves vs magic attacks.

Otherwise RESIST: all or SAVE: 3 applied just before the PC or NPC takes damage from a spell or needs to make a save vs a spell is the only way to do what you want. There's nothing however that could be permanently applied to a creature that would provide resistance against just magic damage or give a bonus to saves just vs magic.

mdrichey
April 30th, 2019, 21:18
The only possibility is Magic resistance. Placing this effect on a PC or NPC will give advantage to saving throws specifically against saves vs magic attacks.

Otherwise RESIST: all or SAVE: 3 applied just before the PC or NPC takes damage from a spell or needs to make a save vs a spell is the only way to do what you want. There's nothing however that could be permanently applied to a creature that would provide resistance against just magic damage or give a bonus to saves just vs magic.

If spells are set up to deliver magic damage in addition to their other damage type (e.g. 4d6 fire, magic), then would RESIST: magic provide resistance from the damage from all those spells? For example in the case of Oath of the Ancients paladin's Aura of Warding.

Zacchaeus
April 30th, 2019, 22:08
If spells are set up to deliver magic damage in addition to their other damage type (e.g. 4d6 fire, magic), then would RESIST: magic provide resistance from the damage from all those spells? For example in the case of Oath of the Ancients paladin's Aura of Warding.

Magic isn't a damage type so it can't be resisted. If you create an effect of RESIST: magic it would be the same as RESIST: which would resist all damage, since FG doesn't recognise magic as a damage type it is ignored.

There's no rules in 5e for magic resistance per se. Some creatures have an ability which is called Magic Resistance but this gives advantage on saving throws against magic. So that this works (and FG recognises when a magic attack is being made) all spells have a 'spell' tag. Thus if you cast a spell which requires a saving throw then a creature with magic resistance will get advantage on that save. If a magic resistant creature takes damage from a spell such as fire bolt which has no saving throw element than all of the damage gets through; the creature doesn't resist the damage unless it has a specific resistance to the damage done by the spell.

For the Paladin's aura that you speak of you would need to have an effect of 'RESIST: all' applied just before damage is rolled from a spell and set to expire on next action.

Nickademus
May 1st, 2019, 14:18
Magic isn't a damage type so it can't be resisted.

I don't understand. How does this work then?
RESIST: bludgeoning,piercing,slashing,!magic

Zacchaeus
May 1st, 2019, 14:26
I don't understand. How does this work then?
RESIST: bludgeoning,piercing,slashing,!magic

Translated that means that the creature resists those damage types provided the thing doing the damage isn't a magical weapon. A weapon can have the magic tag and if it does then it negates the creatures resistance.

LordEntrails
May 1st, 2019, 17:48
In short, "magic" is a weapon property, not a damage type :)

Moon Wizard
May 1st, 2019, 18:30
"magic" is a damage type in the ruleset; as well as other non-energy damage types (adamantine, silver, bludgeoning, etc.). This allows magic and special weapons to be supported.

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
May 1st, 2019, 18:43
"magic" is a damage type in the ruleset; as well as other non-energy damage types (adamantine, silver, bludgeoning, etc.). This allows magic and special weapons to be supported.

Regards,
JPG

Right, so RESIST: magic does in fact work if the damage being dealt has magic as a type. When I tested this I just thought that it was being treated as a RESIST: all

LordEntrails
May 1st, 2019, 19:58
Thanks for the correction Moon :)

mdrichey
May 1st, 2019, 20:57
Right, so RESIST: magic does in fact work if the damage being dealt has magic as a type.
Thank you!