PDA

View Full Version : Map capture and mask mode questions

grisix
February 2nd, 2019, 06:59
Hi folks..

I am running three games in FG and we are running the games outside of your weekly game sessions through Discord.

As a DM I use the Mask mode abundantly, to only reveal the parts of the map that my players can see, while the encounters is set up and all the tokens on the map before they become relevant to the combat situation.

So when I run the rounds of combat outside of our game sessions, I do a screen copy of the map and update it in Discord for those of my players that can't always connect to my FG servers outside of our online sessions (I have one server always on per group, but most of the discord action is run during the week through tablet or cell phones mostly...).

Unfortunately, as a DM, the mask mode still shows the tokens that are set as invisible in the combat tracker , and this forces me to do a significant amount of manipulation to clean up the screen copy before posting it.

Is there is a way for the DM to temporarily see the mask mode the same way a player sees it, and to easily switch between Player and DMs view?

A secondary question to this is : is there is a way to select a part of an image and just do a copy of the image instead of a full print screen?

Thanks for your help!

Moon Wizard
February 2nd, 2019, 07:38
You can start a second copy of FG on your GM machine, and log in to "localhost" as the server address with a new user name. Then, any images shared on the second instance will be displayed as a player would see them.

You can't take pictures of a single window; just PrintScreen to send a screenshot###.png to the FG data directory of the tabletop.

Regards,
JPG

grisix
February 2nd, 2019, 08:06
Thanks.. did not even think of trying two FG running on the same machine! works perfectly!

damned
February 2nd, 2019, 08:26
Use the windows Snipping Tool to grab parts of your screen

grisix
February 2nd, 2019, 09:26
Very nice! thanks for the tips!

grisix
February 3rd, 2019, 08:30
I have one more related question.

Is it possible to display the monsters' tokens number way bigger than they are for screen pics?

The current setting to "show token name" is really too small to read from a screenshot.

Zacchaeus
February 3rd, 2019, 09:23
Depending on the size of the tokens this can happen. To rescale tokens to a map place one token on the map; right click and select release token scale. Right click again and select lock token scale, Noww delete the token from the map. When you place tokens on the map now they should be correctly scaled and the numbers/title etc should be more visible.