PDA

View Full Version : Switching ruleset, keeping story entries?

CrawlingChaox
January 31st, 2019, 00:49
Hello, FG people! Apologies if this has been asked before: I tried using the search function and I haven't come up with anything.

I'm running the Trail of Cthulhu campaign Eternal Lies for my group, and we've decided to switch to the CoC 7e rules because a few players are more familiar with those. Thing is, I've put in quite a bit of effort into creating the story entries for the whole campaign, and I was wondering if there's a way to carry over those story entries to a new campaign with the new ruleset, or even to just switch the ruleset (which seems a bit unlikely, but this software never ceases to amaze me).

Thoughts? Ideas? Thank you so much!

Andraax
January 31st, 2019, 00:56
Create a module with the story entries, edit it to add a new ruleset tag (to allow it to be opened in the new ruleset) and then open the module in your new campaign.

damned
January 31st, 2019, 01:48
Lots of ways.

1. create your new campaign. close FG. open up the 2 db.xml files and copy everything between the <encounter> and </encounter> tags into the new db.xml
2. export as per Andraax and edit the export module - change the ruleset tag in the Module to Any
3. export the module and then in your CoC campaign load up the Universal Modules extension and it will be able to read your ToC export (I just updated it to include TrailOfCthulhu)

damned
January 31st, 2019, 02:08
Also I posted a new Trail Of Cthulhu option today.... just in case you want to give it a test run...
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47731-Trail-of-Cthulhu-Full-working-ruleset

Not that I have anything against you switching to Call of Cthulhu :)

CrawlingChaox
January 31st, 2019, 02:59
Also I posted a new Trail Of Cthulhu option today.... just in case you want to give it a test run...
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47731-Trail-of-Cthulhu-Full-working-ruleset

Not that I have anything against you switching to Call of Cthulhu :)

Oh don't worry, we aren't switching because of the FG ruleset! The old version was great, and I'm sure this is even better.
I'll be trying your methods, thanks to both you and Andraax!

Edit: it worked! Now on to madness!