PDA

View Full Version : Having errors with my practice module, Any kind soul out there?

ResplendentDarkness
January 30th, 2019, 06:53
Been playing around with entering races and what not, exported content from a campaign after adding in Blues from ultimate psionics. I then decided to try and format it like one of the other modules I have downloaded because I couldn't figure out how to make the reference material and how to link it from within fantasygrounds. So now I have the client.xml looking better but when I try to load the new module to see how it looks in client I get an error.

Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file Psionic Races:client.xml - Error on line 169: Error reading end tag.

As far as I can tell there isn't anything wrong at line 169. Anyone able to give me a hand figuring out what is going on?

Here is a pastebin copy of the xml file. https://pastebin.com/BSRhYjNZ

damned
January 30th, 2019, 07:11
welcome... I cant see any issue with that tag either at a cursory look.
I would try replacing these:

&# 148goblin&# 148
with standard "goblin" and see if that helps?

Trenloe
January 30th, 2019, 16:33
Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file Psionic Races:client.xml - Error on line 169: Error reading end tag.

As far as I can tell there isn't anything wrong at line 169.
If there's a problem "reading end tag" then it means that somewhere in the section ending at line 169 there is an unclosed tag.

Line 169 is the end of the <racialtraits> section. Within that section, <trait3> and <trait4> aren't closed.

ResplendentDarkness
January 30th, 2019, 17:05
That makes way more sense, thank you. Still when it calls out a line it doesn't necessarily mean the issue is right at that line but anything in that section? Good to know.

Trenloe
January 30th, 2019, 17:27
Still when it calls out a line it doesn't necessarily mean the issue is right at that line but anything in that section?
It depends on what the error is.

pindercarl
January 30th, 2019, 17:43
On line 83, you create a section with the open tag <racialtraits>. Then on line 169, you end the section with closing tag </racialtraits>. In between, you've create a number of sub-sections with various trait tags. When the parser gets to line 169 and you close the racialtraits section, it knows that it has open tags (trait3 and trait4) that are internal to racialtraits and those have not been closed yet. So that is why the error is throw on line 169. The parser doesn't know where you intended to close those sections, but it know that you didn't. Hope that helps you understand the error.

Moon Wizard
January 30th, 2019, 17:47
If you use a text editor with XML validation, it can catch those sorts of errors when you attempt to save the file. Notepad++ has an option that you can turn on Plugins->XMLTools menu.

Cheers,
JPG

Talyn
January 30th, 2019, 19:10
As @Trenloe stated, the <trait3> on line 112 should be </trait3> and same for line 119 with <trait4>. Didn't see any other issues off-hand, though I didn't bother creating a folder to actually try to load it into FG.

ResplendentDarkness
January 30th, 2019, 20:10
Yes, thank you. That was the problem. Fixed up the traits and it loaded without issues.