PDA

View Full Version : How to make a Squeaky Voice/Sound

LordEntrails
January 29th, 2019, 04:25
Any of you sound gurus or dabblers have an idea how I could do this...?

I want to make a sound or voice that mimics squeaking metal.

Background: players have salvaged several suits of animated armor and are now wearing them as plate mail. The armor is now coming back to "life" or such. I haven't worked out just yet what is going to happen, but one suggestion is to have the armor start talking. And one of the ideas if for the armor to call for help, saying something like; "Help! Brothers, come save me, I've been kidnapped!"

Now, I would like to make a sound and record it that sounds like something metal armor would "say". You know, something like metal on metal rubbing. A squeak that when you listen careful it sounds like a voice calling for help.

Now how in the heck would I do something like that?

Targas
January 29th, 2019, 05:36
I haven‘t tried it myself, but MorphVox Pro let‘s you modify your voice (as well as professional audio SW like CUBASE).
The Teufel Cage headset even comes with it‘s own 4 presets you could use for voice modification, however not the one you want.

I like your idea of sentient items. In 13th Age most magical items come with some form of ‚own will‘. Using them would change the owner‘s behaviour in sometimes strange ways. If you are interested, dive into the Book of Loot from Pelgrane Press.

mac40k
January 29th, 2019, 14:09
I use MorphVox Pro. Picked it up during Black Friday sale, but even at $40, it's a pretty good deal. Lots of free sample voices and you can start with say, a robot voice and modify the various settings to tweak it to your liking.

DoctorC
January 29th, 2019, 15:33
Clownfishvoicechanger - it is free and works really well.

mghauber
February 11th, 2019, 18:51
If you have access, a ring modulator would do the trick....I would suggest layering as well. If I can get a min. I'll record a sample and send it your way...

LordEntrails
February 11th, 2019, 19:39
If you have access, a ring modulator would do the trick....I would suggest layering as well. If I can get a min. I'll record a sample and send it your way...
Thanks, I don't have one. Google tells me it's something that I would have to add to a sythesizer (which I don't have) or other electronic audio setup (which I don't have) :)

Any help is appreciated. Hope to find time this week to play with the earlier suggestions. Will post any samples I come up with and how I got them.

Xemit
February 11th, 2019, 21:49
If you have audio editing software (or DAW) which supports VST plugins (most do support this), a quick search of the Internet showed a few free VST plugins that were ring modulators.

I'd expect those to provide similar results to a hardware solution.

Depending on the software, you should be able to switch the effect into and out of the audio path at will.

BTW, I know enough about this to be dangerous. Have little actual experience trying to use anything like that.

mghauber
February 11th, 2019, 22:02
Try this. Feedback appreciated.

mghauber
February 11th, 2019, 22:03
Wait...can you not attach an MP3?

Trenloe
February 11th, 2019, 22:05
Wait...can you not attach an MP3?
ZIP it!

mghauber
February 11th, 2019, 22:09
Try this...

mghauber
February 11th, 2019, 22:10
I need to go to computer school Trenloe!!!!

Trenloe
February 11th, 2019, 22:10
Oh no! You've been kidnapped!!! (And you sound scary). We need some meddling kids to come rescue you...

Trenloe
February 11th, 2019, 22:11
I need to go to computer school Trenloe!!!!
Nah, stick to your day job Fred! :)

mghauber
February 11th, 2019, 22:12
Strawberries!!!!

LordEntrails
February 12th, 2019, 00:46
Try this...
Very nice, thanks. Not what I was looking for, it's more ghostly than squeaking, but I still love it. I am definitely going to play with some of the software tonight and see what I can do :)

mghauber
February 12th, 2019, 02:51
Closer?

LordEntrails
February 12th, 2019, 04:57
Closer?
Awesome. Though maybe too identifiable?

How would I layer that over a sound like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwfCAylZ610
To put that metallic voice over a squeak, would that work?

I installed Clownfish, but that doesn't look like it would allow me to layer anything. So I guess I need a sound board software? Does MorphVox do that?

EDIT: though maybe a deeper metal sound like this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVENCuhNEcQ

mghauber
February 12th, 2019, 11:38
Gotcha. Looking for more of the "hinge" sound of the armor...

Layering is done, at least by me, with sidechained gates and compressors. Allows one sound to be let through triggered by another sound. In this case, the "squeaks" are triggered by the speech. You can google it. Tons of info out there...

Let me get through my mundane day of work and I'll shoot a few more samples over. I could do this all day.... Thanks for the challenge! :D

LordEntrails
February 12th, 2019, 16:03
Gotcha. Looking for more of the "hinge" sound of the armor...

Layering is done, at least by me, with sidechained gates and compressors. Allows one sound to be let through triggered by another sound. In this case, the "squeaks" are triggered by the speech. You can google it. Tons of info out there...

Let me get through my mundane day of work and I'll shoot a few more samples over. I could do this all day.... Thanks for the challenge! :D
Yea, like when the characters are moving in the armor, it is causing squeaking. They will check the armor for rust, oil it, all that, to get it to be quiet, but it still squeaks, because it's talking :)

Thanks so much, after I get through my work I'll Google the stuff you said, cause it means nothing to me now :)

mghauber
February 12th, 2019, 23:56
Here's another attempt. Layered in the second sqeaky soundbite you had linked.

LordEntrails
February 12th, 2019, 23:59
Thanks so much! Would it be easy to do to lower the volume of the voice so it's almost hidden or disguised? And maybe drop a second layer of squeak with a time offset?

Don't hesitate to say no. I installed Audacity and I think this might be something I can learn to do myself. Just not sure yet :)

mghauber
February 13th, 2019, 00:38
Google Cakewalk by Bandlab and download the new version of Cakewalk/Sonar. I have been using it for years and prob the best out there. There is a learning curve, but I am always available... A good audio interface and mic are important, but not necessary. I built a soundproof room in my home for this...overkill! hahaha

I enjoy this...never a problem!

LordEntrails
February 13th, 2019, 19:13
Very nice, Thanks! I have to learn how to do that :)

I think I will try to use it tonight with our game.

mghauber
February 13th, 2019, 19:42
Awesome. Let me know how it works out.

LordEntrails
February 13th, 2019, 22:11
Will do :)

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2019, 19:52
So failed on my part. We use Discord for sound and I did not have VMB set up to send the sound to Discord. I'll play with that so that we will be ready next week.

So, I see you mention Cakewalk versus Audacity. Since I'm just starting with sounds, how is Cakewalk for new users? Since I know virtually nothing, is Cakewalk going to be too technical to learn? Since they are both free and both seem to be well supported and capable, why chose one over the other?

mghauber
February 15th, 2019, 13:39
I suggested Cakewalk based on my own preference. At heart, all DAWs do the same basic things... record wav files to multiple tracks, allow manipulation and non-destructive editing, allow processing with various effects, etc, etc. The main difference between Audacity and DAWs such as Cakewalk, Pro-Tools, Cubase... is control over MIDI (musical instrument digital interface) and some of the virtual instruments available. Beyond the musical aspect, MIDI enables many of the on-screen controls to be manipulated by control surfaces, which frees you from the mouse. Again, not a deal breaker unless its something you use every day. I am a musician, so obviously, I tend to lean more toward that aspect. If creating music is not something you remotely envision in the future, then Audacity would do everything you needed just fine.

Another thing to consider is OS you are using. Cakewalk is designed for Windows and only Windows. It has very nice features like the ability to dock and undock screens, multiple windows, etc. Perfect if you have multiple monitors. Also, just the general look of Cakewalk is pleasing to me. It is also customizable with many good skins available. Again, not an issue unless you stare at it everyday. Other DAWs are designed only for macs and if you are a Linux fan, then Ubuntu Studio is worth checking out. The "industry standard" is Pro-Tools and that has support for Windows and Macs. There is a "light" version of Pro-Tools that is free and entirely worth checking out as well.

They all have a learning curve, but all act pretty much the same. The basic functionality, ie recording speech/sound, editing, applying effects, is all the same regardless. If you know how to set one up, you can set any of them up. The difference is what comes next. For sound effects and speech related things for FG, I don't believe it will make much difference other than YOUR preference. I have found that a good mic and good preamp with a good audio interface is much more important. However, even that is not needed to simply record your voice or basic sounds and/or manipulate something (pre-existing sound) that is out there. If you google "free DAWs" you can look over the lists and see what seems the best fit for you. Again, I think aesthetics and familiarity are big factors if you use it a lot.

As always, you can always ask me questions. I have more gear than I have time to use most days! Hope this has helped a little bit.

LordEntrails
February 15th, 2019, 17:26
Thanks MG :)

I did a little research yesterday googling things. For others dropping in on this, DAW = Digital Audio Workstation. Basically it turns your computer into most all of that equipment you see in in TV/Movies where the sound engineer has all those dials, switches and sliders.

I do use Windows, so I think I'll go with Cakewalk. If for no other reason,I can ask you!

Oh, and yea, I just plan on making sound effects and voices like this. I'm no musician and will never do more than dabble a little bit here and there :)

mghauber
February 15th, 2019, 17:38
You will not be disappointed with Cakewalk. Very helpful and respectful forum as well. Kinda like another forum I know....;)

mghauber
February 15th, 2019, 17:41
I do use Windows, so I think I'll go with Cakewalk. If for no other reason,I can ask you!

Yes. Any time.

LordEntrails
February 15th, 2019, 17:54
Yes. Any time.

Xemit
February 15th, 2019, 18:25
Cakewalk has been around since the late 80's. I would have used it back then except they were Windows only, and I was running Amiga. I now use Cubase, mostly because it came with my Zoom H6 recorder. Also play with Sonic One, which came with my Yeti microphone.

They (DAWs) are now all very similar in functionality/workflow with differences showing up in the plugins that come with it, many of which can be purchased separately. A lot of plugins are free/open source now too. The UI layouts are often different between them, but they still function similarly.

So you can really play around with this stuff for a very long time without getting bored.

DoctorC
February 18th, 2019, 14:18
I repeat - Clownfishvoicechanger - it is free and works really well.

I do not know if this works with a mac (I like computing power and the ability to control my machine, so I dislike macs).

This software is easy to access, easy to use, does not use lots o power from the machine and works really well.

LordEntrails
February 19th, 2019, 00:59
I repeat - Clownfishvoicechanger - it is free and works really well.

I do not know if this works with a mac (I like computing power and the ability to control my machine, so I dislike macs).

This software is easy to access, easy to use, does not use lots o power from the machine and works really well.
I looked at Clownfish. It seemed focused on real-time voice altering. Seemed like it would be good for changing voice for NPCs and such as playing. But in this case I wanted to make a background sound file that I could play on repeat while talking myself. Couldn't figure out how to do that with Clownfish.

But, thanks for the suggestion, it is on my list for altering my voice for live NPCs.

DoctorC
February 19th, 2019, 09:04
I looked at Clownfish. It seemed focused on real-time voice altering. Seemed like it would be good for changing voice for NPCs and such as playing. But in this case I wanted to make a background sound file that I could play on repeat while talking myself. Couldn't figure out how to do that with Clownfish.

But, thanks for the suggestion, it is on my list for altering my voice for live NPCs.

Really sorry - my fault completely - I thought you needed a voice changer for live running. I use it for that and it is really good.

LordEntrails
February 20th, 2019, 04:01
Really sorry - my fault completely - I thought you needed a voice changer for live running. I use it for that and it is really good.
No problem :)

I didn't ask for a voice changer for live, but it is something I want to get into, so you just beat me to the punch so to speak :)

dberkompas
February 20th, 2019, 04:24
LIVE voice altering, I absolutely LOVE MorphVox Pro.

Dave