PDA

View Full Version : Creating a story template that pulls from only one table

TobyFox2002
January 26th, 2019, 17:40
Hello I'm trying to create a story template that pulls from only a single multi-column table, since the information is linked. For example, lets say I'm using the "Alchemical Events" from Ultimate Campaign.
I have a Discovory, I want the story template to show the following:

Event: Discovory
Description: The introduction of a new material makes your alchemical recipes more potent, leading to booming sales. For 1d6 days, the business gains a +10 bonus on its first check to generate capital each day.
Duration: 1d6 (the result of the roll) days
Bonus: +10 to first check

Because these are linked, I cannot reroll the table, not can i create a table that has different kinds of bonuses, and duration.

Is this possible, if so how, if not... Is there any clever work around or interesting trick that can get the effect I'm looking for.

Zacchaeus
January 26th, 2019, 17:51
You'll need four separate tables one for each of the things you want to pull from the tables. Templates don't play nice with multicolumn tables. You can pull from a single column in a table using the | character but you can't call that for each column since every time you call the table it will roll again. So you might get row one column one then row three column 2 etc.

TobyFox2002
January 26th, 2019, 17:59
Thats alot of extra tables, so much for making things easier on myself and my players.

Not really the answer, I wanted to hear, but thank you.

JimSocks
June 17th, 2021, 14:23
Not really the answer, I wanted to hear

How about this one: you can do this now :)

Use Column Referencing. It’s all in the wiki for you to check out!