PDA

View Full Version : Exporting NPC Encounter token placement

backwardoracle
January 24th, 2019, 15:24
Hi, This is a little problem that has been vexing me for some time,

How can I keep the token placement on a map when I add the encounter, after exporting from the original module, so they appear where I placed them (via the encounter tracker) in the loaded module before import.

I'm sure its something simple I've overlooked, but its going to be so very, very, very handy to know.

cheers

Trenloe
January 24th, 2019, 16:15
the wording of your question confuses me - I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. I'm going to assume you're asking how to change NPC pre-placement in an encounter that can be exported to a module (or just used later in a campaign).

You can't export into a module tokens already on a map. The only way you can export NPC placement is via the encounter placement functionality. Unlock the encounter, click the check marks on the already pre-placed token graphic and re-drag the tokens to the map (so that the check mark appears). Then when you export the encounter into a module, the new placement will be used.

backwardoracle
January 24th, 2019, 18:09
Ahh, I'm probably over complicating the description, I have an encounter set up on a map with tokens placed, I then save it as a module.

Opening the module and then adding the encounter to the combat tracker I have to reapply the tokens

Trenloe
January 24th, 2019, 18:41
Ahh, I'm probably over complicating the description, I have an encounter set up on a map with tokens placed, I then save it as a module.

Opening the module and then adding the encounter to the combat tracker I have to reapply the tokens
Sounds like you're not fully doing token pre-placement in the encounter. Dragging tokens from the CT to the map does not provide pre-placement, you need to drag the token placement icons from the encounter to the map, and the token icons in the encounter will change to check marks.

Info on encounters here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Encounters Step 8 in "Preparation" is where you pre-place the encounter token icons on the map - the Combat Tracker is not used as part of this process.

If you've followed the above steps - please provide a screenshot of the encounter in the campaign used to create the module, and also the resulting encounter in the module.

Halfront
January 24th, 2019, 19:15

IF you are using your own tokens then you need to add them to the export from my understanding. When you are exporting your module are you adding the "tokens" to be exported also?

Trenloe
January 24th, 2019, 19:25
FG knows if it needs to add tokens to the module export. FG will add the tokens (if in a campaign) or links to tokens (if from another module) when you export an encounter.

You only need to manually add tokens to a module export if they aren't used anywhere in the data you're exporting. For example: you're creating a token only module.

Halfront
January 24th, 2019, 19:56
Awesome, thanks for the clarification.

backwardoracle
January 24th, 2019, 20:48
Brill, Simple really,

thanks!