PDA

View Full Version : SW5e a star wars home brew on the 5e rule set

Pages : [1] 2

pico
January 23rd, 2019, 06:35
This module and extension implement the SW5e rule set. This is a 5e (OGL) based conversion to a Star Wars universe.

This work includes the PHB and Scum and Villainy (Monsters/NPCs) PDF content originating from the SW5e project (https://sw5e.com/) (no affiliation)

Here is the link to the SW5e PHB PDF this work was based upon (https://mega.nz/file/2IEH1awA#NvlThnx4ZwxsvWNkpcIxXLDn5WfCRVV3hPKKeSsbX aE).

See this post for the latest module(s) and extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47628-SW5e-a-star-wars-home-brew-on-the-5e-rule-set&p=616314&viewfull=1#post616314) completed by SilentRuin

The Classic version is still available for those currently using it for campaigns:
Link to the SW5e (Classic) extension in FG Forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/53/view)
Link to the SW5e (Classic) module in FG Forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/44/view)

Need Tokens?
Here's a FG Mod full of SW Tokens! (https://mega.nz/file/ucNx2Y7D#_6Tjj2nPV0gutP49WwDHtof4U-AAghlXRQLdeKwBdvI) (by permission of u/Kualan on reddit)

SW5e Content:
10 new classes with dozens of subclasses
35 new races (Species and driods)
35 new backgrounds
100 new feats
400+ new spells (Powers)
390 new Items/equipment
276 new NPCs
new weapons, creature types, damage types, skills, languages, and a galactic credits replace gold.

GitHub project for the Classic version of this module. (https://github.com/BeeGrinder/FantasyGrounds-SW5e)

Now includes spell and item effects inspired by and with permission of rob2e under condition that no money is ever charged for this work. Thanks!

Be sure to read the notes below AND the reference section of the module. Because the SW5e rules do not perfectly match a true 5e game, some things do not function quite like a real 5e game. When I find these behaviors I make a note in these two areas. I try to fix them, but if I can not find a solution, I do my best to warn you so you are not surprised.

I've also created a starfield background extension (https://github.com/BeeGrinder/FantasyGrounds-SW5e/releases/tag/v3.0.7)
This background extension replaces the current theme's background with a simple starfield. Works great with FG Dark or Simple Gray themes.

Other related content: The following posts contain other user created content for SW5e on Fantasy Grounds:
Starship rules (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47628-SW5e-a-star-wars-home-brew-on-the-5e-rule-set&p=606115&viewfull=1#post606115) by Tyrannosaurus VeX

Good bye
After over 3 years of work on this game module, I'm retiring my use of this module/extension. If there's a serious defect that is reported here I will try to fix. But, I have not been able to run any true campaigns with it and I'm no longer interested in pushing it on my groups. I have no plans on ever removing it from the forge or it's source project on github. I hope someone finds it fun and useful.

pico
January 23rd, 2019, 15:19
Changelog / Added / Modified

Jan. 23, 2019 Update - SW5e Player Book Module - Background skill and feature text fixes
Jan. 25, 2019 Update - SW5e Player Book Module - Race (Species) skill and feature text fixes. Guardian Auras and channel abilities listed correctly.
Jan. 30, 2019 Update - SW5e Player Book Module - weapon list typo fix. sw5e.ext extension typo fixes.
Feb. 6, 2019 - SW5e Extension - Added Binary and Aurebesh fonts/languages.
Feb. 10, 2019 - Added Spell Book Module for force and tech powers, made February PHB updates, text and class feature updates.
Feb. 18, 2019 - Split Item and Spell module to easy development. Extension fixed for powers and weapon type sorting.
Feb. 21, 2019 - Force and Tech powers through lvl 2 have effects coded. Item effects for explosives now coded. See Spell Book reference notes.
Feb. 24, 2019 - Fixed all classes. Made 3rd level choice of sub-class prompt correctly.
Mar. 6, 2019 - Added many extended content races with pics, added full spell effects for all force and tech powers
Mar. 8, 2019 - Major update to module structure. Spells and Equipment are now in the module SW5e Supplement.mod. Several reference manual changes.
Mar. 16, 2020 - Update to Player Book module. Reflecting changes to SW5e PDF file through Jan. 2020.
May 8, 2020 - Removed old NPC module, all NPCs are in the PHB module. Should work with FGU now.
May 18, 2020 - More NPCs added to PHB module.
May 23, 2020 - All NPCs from Scum and Villainy PDF have been added to the PHB module.
Sep 16, 2020 - Fixed damage issue with scout holdout blaster and several "ranged force attack" spells that were not working.
Nov 28, 2020 - Fixed issues with several NPCs spells in combat tracker. Fixed Operative Practice choice at level 3.
Nov 30, 2020 - Updated Berserker class to current.
Dec 2, 2020 - Full class update (Thanks to lordcygnus) plus minor fixes. Please, download both modules and the extension for these updates.
Dec 5, 2020 - Update to PHB module and extension. Fixed extension project web link and renamed directory. Update berserker instincts, operative exploits and monastic vows to be more readable. Made scholar/doctor/panacea side-effects into link to rollable table.
Feb 15, 2021 - Added information about new version 3 of SW5e for Fantasy Grounds pre-release and request for testers.
Feb 20, 2021 - v3 Fixes: weapon category issues, NPC size issues, NPC token issues, Class ability score improvement, and background skill choices.
Feb 25, 2021 - v3 Fixes: Add spell effects to lvl 0-2 powers. Item category fixes. Character wizard should now work. Added background starfield extension.
Feb 27, 2021 - v3 Added spell effects to new powers through lvl 4. About 90% of spells (powers) now have full effects coding!
Mar 3,2021 - v3.0.9 More spell fixes. Fixes for character wizard. See note below about background selection.
Apr 22,2021 - v3.0.10 More spell fixes. More fixes to let basic character creation work in the character wizard (still no money, items or equipment).
Aug 15,2021 - changed distribution of software to Fantasy Grounds Forge.
Aug 20, 2021 - new release collaboration with SilentRuin. See first post for more info. Old version is now "Classic" and will not see major updates, only bug fixes.
Nov 14, 2021 - final classic release. Extension v3.0.3 and Module v3.0.11. Fixes to NPC roles in CT, Concentration issues. Class abbreviations, and effects added.

Link to the known issues working list (https://github.com/BeeGrinder/FantasyGrounds-SW5e/issues)

** Reserving this post for future updates

pico
January 23rd, 2019, 15:23
Instructions and Notes (for the older "Classic" version)
- Make sure the SW5e extension is activated for your "5e" campaign!
- Load the SW5e module.
- Download the "PHB" from the link in the first post. Also provide the PHB PDF to your players.
- Remember when creating characters that many of the casting classes have a choice of which ability counts as the Spell Casting Modifier. So it must be set up manually.
- Proficiency seems to be working for classes, races and backgrounds. I don't think they work for feats or tools, adjust manually.
- The author of SW5e suggests using the Spell Point System rather than Spell Slots. This is an interface adjustment to make during character creation if you use points. Search the FG forum for implementing D&D 5e alternate spell point system. You basically add a spell "ammo" counter for caster classes in the character sheet.
- All spells (powers), some classes, and some items have item effects coded into them for use in the combat tracker. Use the Source selector in the Spell window to see Force Powers, Tech Powers, Items, or a class.
- All included races have pictures in case you forget what they look like ;).
- Starting Equipment Packs are available in Parcels tab.
- Backgrounds have trait tables available for rolling if you like randomness.
- All classes now prompt at level 3 for sub-class choices.
- When creating a new player character, check the spell setup in the Actions tab and make sure the correct Ability type is set (Int, Wiz, Cha, etc.). This becomes the Base value for spell casting.
- When adding a weapon to a character sheet, double check the correct type (ranged/melee) and, especially if finesse weapon, the correct stat is used.
- The FG Character Wizard is still technically in beta testing. As such, I have not spent much time getting this module to work fully with it. You can create a basic character, but do not use the INV, SPELLS, or FEATS sections. Also, you need to manually add spells, money, items/equipment, and any additional proficiencies for these(tools, gaming sets, instruments, etc.).

Force and Tech Powers(Spells): Due to the wording of the SW5e powers, they do not always get interpreted correctly by the 5e ruleset. But, they are easily corrected after adding them to a player's character sheet. Even advanced automations can be added/edited. Here is a great tutorial on effects editing. (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996642031/5E+Effects+for+Advanced+Automation)

Tyrannosaurus VeX
January 28th, 2019, 09:02
I'll definitely take a look at your stuff. I've never played FFG's Star Wars, but I'm a big fan of Saga and 5e, so I think a 5e conversion is an interesting idea.

Could be really cool.

Martin2301
January 28th, 2019, 18:25
looks pretty fine. Im gonna start a game i think. But misses stat block for the ships, and a nice background

pico
January 28th, 2019, 19:03
looks pretty fine. Im gonna start a game i think. But misses stat block for the ships, and a nice background

Thanks. The ship data is coming later as well as a nice theme. Currently my priorities are getting the classes working as well as I can, and fixing any bugs/typos.

And, if someone wants to volunteer and join the project, just let me know :D

Since the PDFs are free for everyone to download, how important do you feel it is to get a reference manual section in the FG interface?

damned
January 28th, 2019, 23:54
Thanks. The ship data is coming later as well as a nice theme. Currently my priorities are getting the classes working as well as I can, and fixing any bugs/typos.

And, if someone wants to volunteer and join the project, just let me know :D

Since the PDFs are free for everyone to download, how important do you feel it is to get a reference manual section in the FG interface?

The Reference Manual is always a good thing - BUT - be careful with copyright... The fact that someone else has written all this stuff up and is sharing it fr free doesnt mean that they havent violated someone elses copyright. I am not saying they have - just asking you to do a little checking as you dont want to be responsible for posting copyright materials.

damned
January 28th, 2019, 23:59
A cursory check and it looks like they have replaced jedi with guardian and sith with sentinel... if they have done things like that all the way thru it should be ok...

Tyrannosaurus VeX
January 29th, 2019, 17:26
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe with Star Wars "fan creations", the general rule is, you can publish things for free (fan fiction, fan art, fan films, etc), but if you charge people or make money in any way, they'll consider it copyright infringement. That's how LucasFilm/LucasBooks/LucasArts treated most stuff in the past, and so far, Disney has continued the tradition. There was recently an issue with a fan-film on YouTube that got into it with a subsidiary, but LucasFilm stepped in and straightened the mess out for the most part. Probably because it was turning into bad PR for LucasFilm/Disney.

damned
January 29th, 2019, 22:48
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe with Star Wars "fan creations", the general rule is, you can publish things for free (fan fiction, fan art, fan films, etc), but if you charge people or make money in any way, they'll consider it copyright infringement. That's how LucasFilm/LucasBooks/LucasArts treated most stuff in the past, and so far, Disney has continued the tradition. There was recently an issue with a fan-film on YouTube that got into it with a subsidiary, but LucasFilm stepped in and straightened the mess out for the most part. Probably because it was turning into bad PR for LucasFilm/Disney.

I would never call it a rule.
They are 100% within their rights to protect their copyright and for any Trademarks they must protect them or risk losing them.
If the current practice by the IP owners is to ignore it thats great. Be aware that they could change that at any time.

pico
February 6th, 2019, 15:51
Here is a game streaming using this rule set on youtube. (not me)
https://youtu.be/1YPThnOiGbI

merkvah
March 29th, 2019, 01:02
Just downloaded and installed these mods... they look incredible. Thank you very much!! I have been dying for some more Star Wars gaming, and it looks like I may get it with this. Much appreciated!!

pico
March 31st, 2019, 00:22
Just downloaded and installed these mods... they look incredible. Thank you very much!! I have been dying for some more Star Wars gaming, and it looks like I may get it with this. Much appreciated!!

Thanks. Be sure to leave any feedback on your experience. It's all very new and not well exercised. So, user feedback is what I depend on to make improvements/corrections.

Liquid_Z
April 27th, 2019, 22:37
This is awesome. Thanks!

SirArion
May 16th, 2019, 00:25
If these are referencing the Jan2019 version, when would there be an updated version reflecting the new books?

That said this is fantastic.

pico
May 16th, 2019, 15:48
I'm not sure I will. Since this project seems to be on a monthly revision schedule, and doing major updates and changes, until they release a fairly static version of the game it's extremely difficult to keep up.

I believe I have a paragraph in the Reference manual part of the module about my plans and opinions on the project changes. Since the project is not producing a product to release, this constant changing and tweaking will continue. And, the complexity of the game has increased drastically over time, moving away from the core 5e principals in my opinion. We already had several fully fleshed out complex versions of Star Wars games available, no need for another.

That being said, in Fantasy Grounds its pretty easy to update the content if something you want is missing or has changed. You can even export your own changes as a module. So, don't let my lack of progress stop you.

Darce
May 31st, 2019, 03:47
Some time in the future I would to join a StarWars campaign. I bought the hard cover several years ago but failed to get involved in a game. Hopefully FG will offer that opertunity.

Shiniou
September 24th, 2019, 09:23
No isue for starship rule ?
Custom ruleset maybi ?

Blue Haven
September 27th, 2019, 15:42
Any news on this? I checked the books and it looks pretty nice :) Like Shiniou said will you take this to the next level (ruleset)?
Thanks for your work :)

pico
September 27th, 2019, 15:52
Not at this time. The disruptive churn has settled down and there seems to be a more stable player handbook. But, the starship rules are not able to be done with a true 5e ruleset. This was frustrating because it was supposed to be a 5e game. Maybe I'll try something after Unity is released since it may have additional functionality.

Until then, this entire adaptation is available open-source on github. So anyone can take over and do any updates or changes and release their own updates.

Honestly if I were to write a ruleset, I would probably work on the Star Wars D6 system. It is very robust and well loved.

Gamerswrath
December 5th, 2019, 05:49
This is sweet. The SW5E PHB is finished. Is this module a version of the finished PHB? Also, the Monster Manual seems to be done now too. Do you plan on updating that? If not, would you be willing to explain how I go about doing it so I could try it myself?

pico
December 5th, 2019, 21:42
This is sweet. The SW5E PHB is finished. Is this module a version of the finished PHB? Also, the Monster Manual seems to be done now too. Do you plan on updating that? If not, would you be willing to explain how I go about doing it so I could try it myself?

If there is a stable release of the PHB and MM for SW5e I would definitely like to update this. I would also like to look at getting it working on FGU.
I would LOVE some help with editing the updates. If you are not familiar with GitHub, we can talk via PM. The entire PHB is in text format on GitHub, but in a format for a utility called Par5e which would just take a little time to explain.
The MM is done in a tool called NPC Engineer which might take longer to explain. But, most of the work has been in the PHB content.
You are absolutely free to take my project and redo it however you like. It is open and free for anyone to use, copy, reformat, whatever.
But, if you want me to do the compiling and just do the text editing, I can also do that. I just ran out of steam keeping up with all the constant changes.

If you have any ideas on how to implement the starship rules, I'd love to hear that too.
Pico

Gamerswrath
December 5th, 2019, 22:34
Yeah, if you go to the guys website, (https://www.sw5e.com/), you can see that the PHB was 100% finished as of 7/9/2019. Don't know if that is the 7th of September or 9th of July though but either way, it's been completed. The MM on the other hand I am unsure about. If you click Scum and Villany, (which is the MM name), it doesn't have them all in there and says "More coming soon..." However, if you click the "ASSETS," section and download the MM source book PDF, it has a far wider variety of Monsters in it and looks to be completed. The "ASSETS," section is also where you would download the completed PHB PDF.

In regards to the starship rules, I have no idea. I haven't even looked at it. Due to the way I do D&D, vehicles don't end up being a major thing. Even in a SW5E campaign, I would probably just keep it very basic and short and just freestyle it, instead of using an actual rulebook for it. Doing so would make vehicle combat much bigger than I want it to be in my campaigns.

bchaddock
December 11th, 2019, 20:14
This Still being worked on? Also has anyone made a theme for this?

pico
December 11th, 2019, 21:01
This Still being worked on? Also has anyone made a theme for this?

I am working on updating to latest PHB and MM (NPCs) versions as I write this.
The extension includes themed background images, so along with the included "grey" theme it does look a little "star wars-ish".
There have been a LOT of updates and churn with the SW5e books, so it will be a few weeks before an update is ready.

Also, the extension does not work yet for FGU.

Aurohra
March 14th, 2020, 18:45
Looking to see if this is still being updated!

pico
March 16th, 2020, 20:10
I've done some updating some of the sw5e updates a few months ago. If people are actually playing with this I'll put them into modules and update this thread.
Due to changes in the NPCEngineer tools suite, the NPC manual will no longer "compile" ( I wish I saved last years version of the software ) so I need to make some decisions on how to proceed with that module.

Aurohra
March 16th, 2020, 20:48
My crew and I are using it now! I've actually been working on compiling all of the Roll20 map/image assets into a map/image module for SW5E for FG as well.

pico
March 16th, 2020, 21:14
Ok, I'll update the Player Handbook module with the latest changes I've completed (about 3 months ago). The NPC Manual has several issues (especially spells/tech) and is missing about 75% of the content from the new NPC book. Look in the first message of this thread for updates in about a week.

Please, let me know when you find something that does not work as expected. I've gotten very little feedback and I can't possible play every possible combination to see if it works properly.

Blue Haven
March 17th, 2020, 22:50
Thank you so much for all your work :)
:)

Aurohra
March 19th, 2020, 17:39
Thanks for doing all of this. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

Looking at the politician pursuit, there are two features labeled "reassemble" that bug out. One appears blank, the other appears normal.

pico
March 19th, 2020, 17:58
Thanks for the feedback. I've added this to the issue tracker on github.

Aurohra
March 19th, 2020, 18:00
I'll go ahead and bookmark the github page and post any other things I find there, so you aren't having to copy stuff over.

pico
March 19th, 2020, 18:02
Awesome!

Also, see the first post in this thread. I'm in the middle of a big NPC revamp. Some bugs may have to wait on that unless trivial.

Aurohra
March 20th, 2020, 21:01
Request to have Cathar added to PHB: https://www.sw5e.com/characters/species/Cathar

maugrim8866
April 10th, 2020, 20:05
Pico,
Thanks for sharing all your hard work!
Looks great.

I would love if the community could find a way for Star Ship Control and Combat to be as cool for this, as it is for StarFinder.
I really like what people have done for StarFinder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pdp7uHXEXw

I am wracking my brain, to find a method just to share a Data sheet, that has everything manually added for starships.
I am thinking of a Shared NPC, using the Battle Royal extension and a Note or Story entry with the data.

pico
April 10th, 2020, 22:08
The biggest issue with SW5e star ship combat is not the SW5e system, other than it claims to be a 5e system. It is nothing like 5e vehicle combat. So, in turn, because my SW5e extension for Fantasy Grounds is built upon the 5e ruleset, the star ship combat system is not part of the base 5e ruleset.

If I were to start this over again, I would seriously consider starting with the CoreRPG or Core Plus rulesets. Now, that being said, 5e is built upon the CoreRPG rules. So, there may be a way to shoehorn the space combat rules into this. The Druid Wildshape extension is an example of a character "within" another character (ships in SW5e are kind of like characters more than construct NPCs). But, SW5e has been so fluid and changing, that just getting the basic rules and NPCs into a stable module is enough of a challenge for now. They all need to take full advantage of the FG combat automation, or what's the point? The space combat can still be run, but more like you would on a less capable VTT software.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the kind words.
Pico

mostcallmetim
April 30th, 2020, 03:03
Pico,
This is amazing! Thank you so much for creating this.

Anyone tested it in Unity yet?

Kaineswiftblade
May 1st, 2020, 17:11
Minor question, could we get the Classic Yellow star wars logo as a decal? I don't know how to make it myself,If not I can look it up no problem

Kaineswiftblade
May 1st, 2020, 18:08
So I wanted to help so I created a giant star field Background Image theme, as well as the Iconic Logo as a decal...... I hope this helps some and I would like to help more in the future.

mostcallmetim
May 7th, 2020, 03:25
Awesome!

Also, see the first post in this thread. I'm in the middle of a big NPC revamp. Some bugs may have to wait on that unless trivial.

How close are you to the NPC revamp?

I downloaded the files from the first post, the stormtrooper blaster attack was input incorrectly as a side note.

I have NPC Engineer and as another side note was wondering if there should also be a way to create all the abilities as spells. Such as "burst" and "grenades". Kinda like the Rob Twohy spell effects module for class abilities but for all the Star Wars stuff.

pico
May 7th, 2020, 03:47
How close are you to the NPC revamp?

I downloaded the files from the first post, the stormtrooper blaster attack was input incorrectly as a side note.

I have NPC Engineer and as another side note was wondering if there should also be a way to create all the abilities as spells. Such as "burst" and "grenades". Kinda like the Rob Twohy spell effects module for class abilities but for all the Star Wars stuff.

The latest downloads from the GitHub site linked in the first post has much improved NPCs, but I'm only about 1/4 the way through the S&V manual. The spells should be working on the ones that are done there. I have added some effects. Read the conversion notes in the reference manual sections of the PHB and Supplement modules. I document a couple I've added there, I think grenade is one of them. The newly fixed NPCs are in the PHB module and the old NPC module will no longer be needed. I hand coded all the spell effects in the Supplement module in order to have Rob2e style effects. He gave me his blessing and it is mentioned in the reference section.

As far as progress goes, NPC Engineer only gets me so far. I need to create the NPCs there, then "repair" them because all the special creature types and damage types for SW5e are not supported in the tool. And, now to make things even worse, my windows PC graphics card went out and I am left with my MacBooks. No NPC Engineer until I scrape together some funds.

(If I had a wish, some enthusiastic soul would enter in the NPCs from the Scum & Villainy book into NPC engineer as close as you can get them and send me all the npc files. That would speed the process up incredibly).

mostcallmetim
May 7th, 2020, 04:35
I'll be that enthusiastic soul! No Joke. Should I just start from the beginning?

pico
May 7th, 2020, 14:44
So I wanted to help so I created a giant star field Background Image theme, as well as the Iconic Logo as a decal...... I hope this helps some and I would like to help more in the future.

This is great. The included SW5e rule extension should have some SW themed backgrounds as well. The more the better. Thanks

Kaineswiftblade
May 7th, 2020, 15:45
So continuing with my theme of wanting to help last night I imported all current 130 ish weapons excluding any "Buster" weapons because I don't wanna mix final fantasy with star wars..... I have also Imported all current armors, updating where needed, and about 35 of the current 104 species bringing the grand total to ( mine and Pico's ) to 65 ish? I plan to work more today to import more species cause I wanna get this done for my campaign :P.... I Made droid a single species, and made each class a subspecies, for ease of use..... I have not added pictures to anything (yet)

maugrim8866
May 8th, 2020, 13:31
I would also like to help with this.

maugrim8866
May 8th, 2020, 17:05
I noticed on the SW5e Discord, they have a chat channel for Roll20, maybe we can get them to add one for Fantasy Grounds?

pico
May 8th, 2020, 17:28
I would also like to help with this.

What I really need help with is dealing with updates to the PDFs. This is a constantly changing ruleset. The PHB module should be up to date as of January. But, so far I just get messages like "there are new updates, when will they be in the module" which doesn't help me much at all. If someone could find any updates and the page and paragraph in the PDF and enter an issue on my github(link above), I could update the module very quickly. Or, alternatively, shoot the specifics about the update in a PM to me and I'll put it in the github issue tracker for you.

I have had some interest with helping on NPCs but nothing concrete yet, would require learning NPC Engineer and coming up with some process that accommodates the differences in SW5e.

Also, I will only be doing things in the PHB and Scum & Villainy PDFs. (I added a few extra races, but will not be adding more). Anything outside those two PDFs will not be in my modules/extensions. So, anyone wishing to create modules containing what I think they call "Extended Content", go for it!

I will be getting my development moved onto my Mac and update the modules with more NPCs soon. Anyone needing a list of what NPCs I've already completed can see them in my github (PM me if you need to know where)

pico
May 9th, 2020, 01:08
Updates! See the notes in the first couple posts for this thread.

Also, got permission from u/Kualan on reddit to use his HUGE Clone Wars token collection to create some token libraries for FG. Hope to have that done soon.

maugrim8866
May 9th, 2020, 15:21
Nice
Thanks for the update Pico.
I have been going through the Scum and Villainy pdf. Using NPC Engineer and Token Tool to create NPCs.
I started at the back of the book with Spy and have been working through them. I realize I maybe be duplicating some of your work, but I found it easier to just do it then to find out if you had already.
I fully intend to share to files when complete.
That is my update.

pico
May 9th, 2020, 15:32
Nice
Thanks for the update Pico.
I have been going through the Scum and Villainy pdf. Using NPC Engineer and Token Tool to create NPCs.
I started at the back of the book with Spy and have been working through them. I realize I maybe be duplicating some of your work, but I found it easier to just do it then to find out if you had already.
I fully intend to share to files when complete.
That is my update.

I am keeping track of which ones I've done in the file below. I'll work from the beginning then, and you can see when we meet. There will be some overlap since I decided to complete the ones from the old NPC module first. PM me and we can discuss how to get the .npc files to me. And, thanks for helping!
https://github.com/BeeGrinder/FantasyGrounds-SW5e/blob/master/par5e/input/orig_npc_list.txt

pico
May 24th, 2020, 02:49
Update.
All NPCs from the Scum and Villainy PDF are now included in the PHB module.

If you see any class features, item effects, or PDF changes that are not in my modules, please let me know.

I'm considering the bulk of work on this project done now that it contains the PHB and Scum and Villainy PDF content. Expanded/Extended content will not be in my modules. I'd like to encourage others to expand into this area by publishing their own modules.

Zerriphan
May 24th, 2020, 03:03
Thanks so much for all the work you've put into this module! So pumped to have all of those stat blocks ready for my games!

BlackSoul566
July 20th, 2020, 22:50
Hey, I'm not sure what happened, but I just updated my game and now there aren't any spells showing up at all?

Edit: I figured it out! Apparently the last update unloaded the modules for whatever reason. I just had to go back into the library and reload the modules.

pico
July 20th, 2020, 22:52
Make sure both the PHB and the Supplement modules are loaded up. That's usually the cause of this issue.

Jonnygadfly
August 26th, 2020, 21:50
OP: Can you re-post the latest versions? There seems to be a number of errors I've noticed, but I think I may have older versions of the modules.
Thanks in advance

pico
August 26th, 2020, 21:54
I updated the first post when the FG Forum says my module is too big to upload, so you must get them from these links:

Extension download: https://github.com/BeeGrinder/FantasyGrounds-SW5e/tree/master/extensions
Module download: https://github.com/BeeGrinder/FantasyGrounds-SW5e/tree/master/modules

Jonnygadfly
August 26th, 2020, 22:02
Thanks for your quick reply.

It seems I do have the latest and greatest.

Are you still updating the files? If so, would you like me to report errors I find?

Thanks again.

mostcallmetim
September 16th, 2020, 22:14
Some of the NPC's are not working properly. For example the Trooper, Scout's Hold-out blaster says "Hit: 4 (1d4+2)." So, it won't do damage in the combat tracker. If I copy and edit the statblock, to say "Hit: 4 (1d4+2) energy damage." it works.

There are some other minor errors on NPC's that use spells. For FG to automate NPC spell attacks, the spell needs to say spell attack instead of tech attack in the spell discription. This is a problem on a number of spells like Choke, where it says "Make a ranged force attack". If you edit it to "Make a ranged spell attack" FG will allow you to roll the NPC's attack from the combat tracker.

Will you be making further updates or is this something we should just change on our own?

Thanks for all your work.

pico
September 16th, 2020, 22:32
I'll look into this mostcallmetim. I'll try to get to any bugs in a timely manner. But, I am not currently playing this, so it's difficult for me to find much myself.

Jonnygadfly, I'll look into anything you find. You can post the issue here, or on the github issues area (link in the first post).

Also, I'd love to hear about FGU vs. FGC issues. I've done a little testing in FGU and it seems to be working fine, but I can only try so much without actual play.

DiceandCapes
September 19th, 2020, 20:46
I put the files in the correct locations, but when I try to Create campaign in FGU, the extension does not show up in the list.

*Does it work in Unity? I see on Gitbit you tried it., thats what im using*

pico
September 19th, 2020, 22:54
Put the extension file (sw5e.ext) in the fantasy grounds extensions folder
Put the module files (SW5e Player Book.mod and SW5e Supplement.mod) in the fantasy grounds modules folder
Create a new campaign and give it a name
Pick Game System "5E"
Select extension "SW5e"
Start game
Go to "Library" in game and hit the "Modules" button at the bottom of the window.
Load both the "SW5e Player Book" and "SW5e Supplement" modules.

That should do it. So far, I've fixed any issues I've found with FGU. I am not currently running a SW5e campaign, so I'm relying on y'all to let me know if you find any.

DiceandCapes
September 20th, 2020, 16:37
I got it. For some reason when I right clicked and saved the files yesterday they were not the correct size.

Collegemerc
November 14th, 2020, 09:41
Hi pico, thank you for bringing SW5e to FG!
I ran into an error in FGU when placing an Inquisitor Master npc into the combat tracker: "Failed spellcasting lookup on 2 spell(s) for (Inquititor Master). Make sure your spell module(s) are open." and "Spell lookup failures: force push, improved darkside tendrils", that's what the chat spat out at me. Same goes for Grand Inquisitor, and Inquisitor Knight is only missing dark side tendrils. In the SW5e Supplement I do not see "Force Push", but there is a Force Push/Pull. I also do not see a "dark side tendrils" spell, so I think that may be the cause for the error.

pico
November 14th, 2020, 15:35
Thanks Collegemerc, I'll look into it

lordcygnus
November 28th, 2020, 18:53
This is amazing!!!! Thank you so much for the hard work on bringing this to FG! Looking forward to start a new campaign and contribute to the setting with whatever I can!

pico
November 29th, 2020, 00:07
I have made updates to both modules to fix issues listed in the 2nd post of this thread. Please, use the links in the first post of this thread to download the latest updates.

Please, continue to report issues no matter how minor you might think they are. Every bit of play-testing helps. But, only if I hear about the issues.

Thanks

lordcygnus
November 29th, 2020, 19:47
Instructions and Notes
- Install the extension SW5e.ext for SW5e skills, money, languages, damage types, skills, npc types, etc. Modules will not work correctly without the extension.
- Install the 2 modules: SW5e Player Book.mod (classes, races, backgrounds, npcs, etc), SW5e Supplement.mod (spells, items, equipment, etc). BOTH MUST BE LOADED!
- When creating a game make sure to use game system "5E" and choose the above SW5e extension.
- The extension includes some appropriate background decal images.
- Remember when creating characters that many of the casting classes have a choice of which ability counts as the Spell Casting Modifier. So it must be set up manually.
- Proficiency seems to be working for classes, races and backgrounds. I don't think they work for feats, adjust manually.
- The author of SW5e suggests using the Spell Point System rather than Spell Slots. This is an interface adjustment to make during character creation if you use points. Search the FG forum for implementing D&D 5e alternate spell point system.
- All spells (powers), some classes, and some items have item effects coded into them for use in the combat tracker. Use the Source selector in the Spell window to see Force Powers, Tech Powers, Items, or a class.
- All included races have pictures in case you forget what they look like.
- Starting Equipment Packs are available in Parcels.
- Backgrounds have trait tables available for rolling.
- All classes now prompt at level 3 for sub-class choices.
- Expanded choice of species (race) and languages to 30.

New Starship rules
These new rules basically has ships as complex as a player character with character sheets. I would suggest providing your players with their ship's sheet and using the FG interface for a star map, token movement, and dice rolling. But, at this time I don't know of a way to implement the starship combat of SW5e into the FG system.

** Reserving this post for future updates

Hey! I was testing the operational class, but the level 3 prompt was not available / working, also, for the Fighter Class, the Second Wind was not taking into account the Fighter level for the healing effect.

pico
November 29th, 2020, 20:00
hmm... I tested the Operative Practice selection yesterday. I'll double check it.

I've been playing a long regular 5e campaign and I'm pretty sure even in the regular D&D setup the DM/GM needs to update these class feature dice. Like bardic inspiration, sneak attack, second wind, etc. At least, I've always had to adjust these myself in Fantasy Grounds. There are even some normal spells that change depending on level, I just had to fix one of my clerics spells for this a few weeks ago. Just click on the magnifier glass or loop or whatever that icon is and update the dice used. If that's not true and I just don't know how it works, I'm happy to learn new things :)

Are you using FGU or Classic?
Thanks for your feedback

lordcygnus
November 29th, 2020, 21:02
hmm... I tested the Operative Practice selection yesterday. I'll double check it.

I've been playing a long regular 5e campaign and I'm pretty sure even in the regular D&D setup the DM/GM needs to update these class feature dice. Like bardic inspiration, sneak attack, second wind, etc. At least, I've always had to adjust these myself in Fantasy Grounds. There are even some normal spells that change depending on level, I just had to fix one of my clerics spells for this a few weeks ago. Just click on the magnifier glass or loop or whatever that icon is and update the dice used. If that's not true and I just don't know how it works, I'm happy to learn new things :)

Are you using FGU or Classic?
Thanks for your feedback

Thanks for checking the Operative stuff, I'm testing all classes now to see if I can find some critical stuff before starting a new campaign with the setting, I mean this, excellent work so far!

About the classes perks, on the Second Wind part, sure, I know about the setup for the heal ability but something is happening with the Ftr reference, see the image on what I'm using on a DnD campaign currently:

It's exactly the same setup on the second wind on your setting, but, it's working on the DnD part, not in this one, probably something's happening with the Ftr reference around it, might be a good idea to check those if you can.

I'm testing on both versions of FG, same behavior on all.

Thanks for the help! And again, excellent work!

pico
November 29th, 2020, 22:45
Ah, ok, I see exactly what you mean. I hope it isn't what I think it is. But, for instance the Berzerker's unarmored defense doesn't work as expected either because FG hard-codes the class names in the Lua code... But, I have an idea to add a "spell" that you (the GM/DM) could add to the actions tab of a player so they can use these class features in the combat tracker... I'll post an update here and to the reference section of the module if I can solve it this way.

pico
November 30th, 2020, 17:18
lordcygnus,
I've just installed a fresh copy of FGU and downloaded the modules and extension from github on a mac I never use just to be sure it was a fresh environment. I also tested on windows, but it's my development machine so I am always skeptical when things work where you develop them... of course it does.

When I drag the third level of operative onto the PC sheet I get prompted and the choice is reflected in the abilities tab.

Perhaps I've misunderstood the issue. But, I've made 3 new operatives and chosen a different practice for each.

lordcygnus
November 30th, 2020, 17:55
lordcygnus,
I've just installed a fresh copy of FGU and downloaded the modules and extension from github on a mac I never use just to be sure it was a fresh environment. I also tested on windows, but it's my development machine so I am always skeptical when things work where you develop them... of course it does.

When I drag the third level of operative onto the PC sheet I get prompted and the choice is reflected in the abilities tab.

Perhaps I've misunderstood the issue. But, I've made 3 new operatives and chosen a different practice for each.

Hey @pico, thanks for the quick fix, I've tested on both FGC and FGU and the prompt is now showing successfully now for the Operative!

Did you have a chance to check the class level issue with the reference window within the Effects functionality?

pico
November 30th, 2020, 18:11
Stay tuned on the class features front. I think I will need to do something similar to rob2e's add-on and the GM can drag the feature into the character's sheet action tab. The player can then use actions or apply effects in the combat tracker as needed.
I started this a while ago, the Guardian's channel force is in there already.

In the Spells windows pick the class as the "Source" and you will see what I mean. This seems like the fastest way to get something into player's hands that works.

In the meantime, it's easy to create effects and features as needed. Here's an excellent tutorial on creating the Fighting Style features: https://youtu.be/a-fJpe6duM0

lordcygnus
November 30th, 2020, 18:25
Stay tuned on the class features front. I think I will need to do something similar to rob2e's add-on and the GM can drag the feature into the character's sheet action tab. The player can then use actions or apply effects in the combat tracker as needed.
I started this a while ago, the Guardian's channel force is in there already.

In the Spells windows pick the class as the "Source" and you will see what I mean. This seems like the fastest way to get something into player's hands that works.

In the meantime, it's easy to create effects and features as needed. Here's an excellent tutorial on creating the Fighting Style features: https://youtu.be/a-fJpe6duM0

Yup, I'm using a lot of guides for the Effect Creation part, so it's something I'm familiar with, no worries, I can figure out much of the programmatically effects on my own, I was just asking if the reference was reviewed since it's something related to the setting, but thanks anyway =)

Let me know if you need a hand while trying to build the other books as content packages. I will be happy to help wherever I can on your amazing work with this setting.

pico
November 30th, 2020, 19:03
If it isn't too much trouble, you could log into github and add a comment to this issue in the issue tracker https://github.com/BeeGrinder/FantasyGrounds-SW5e/issues/17. Then just update it with class features/effects you notice are needed. It's difficult for me to catch everything, and having input is invaluable.

The other option is to keep a running list in a post here and edit it rather than add more posts. I'll bookmark that post and use it as a reference in my issue tracker.

Either way, I'll be working on it and doing periodic updates to the module.

lordcygnus
November 30th, 2020, 19:34
If it isn't too much trouble, you could log into github and add a comment to this issue in the issue tracker https://github.com/BeeGrinder/FantasyGrounds-SW5e/issues/17. Then just update it with class features/effects you notice are needed. It's difficult for me to catch everything, and having input is invaluable.

The other option is to keep a running list in a post here and edit it rather than add more posts. I'll bookmark that post and use it as a reference in my issue tracker.

Either way, I'll be working on it and doing periodic updates to the module.

Done, comment and file examples there, as I've said on the thread, probably you can implement the features that are similar (and mostly the same) with each other comparing the classes between settings.

I'll be testing most of related effects on your Star Wars setting just to be sure that they can be implemented as such at your end.

Thanks!

lordcygnus
November 30th, 2020, 21:31
Testing the Berserker right now, I've got a question about the available Archetypes, there are 4 for the PHB, two of them (Marauder and Warchief) are already in the setting, but there is an Augmented Approach that is not in any of the books, and seems a little odd, it has a lot of OP characteristics lol, can you confirm that Archetype for the Berserker and if you want me to review the Precision and Ballistic approaches as well (those two are not in the setting for the Berserker) let me know.

pico
November 30th, 2020, 22:14
This is difficult to put diplomatically.

The SW5e rule set is an uncontrolled dumpster fire.

In March 2020 they announced the final version of the PHB. It was to be the final version and only have minor errata fixes. Anything new would be called expanded content, but the PHB would remain the same.
This did not happen.

I spent many months keeping up with the tweaks looking forward to this event. Then, the tweaking resumed almost immediately. I realized I could never keep up. Especially when they stopped carefully documenting what pages had changes from release to release. Fine for them, they are just updating one master PDF. But, maintaining a translation into electronic implementation of the rules into Fantasy Grounds became untenable. So, I am striving to add some stability to the rule set.

So, I stuck with the "final" March 2020 rule set. Since I can't do what everyone would want and "update everything all the time", I'd wait until someone brings up a specific issue.

So far, this is the first time anyone has brought up a specific issue with a later version of the PHB.

I will add "Update Berserker class" to my project list.
My question to you is... would you make this a higher priority than effects/features since they are pretty easy to do yourself since a GM only has to do what their players are actually using?

lordcygnus
November 30th, 2020, 22:30
This is difficult to put diplomatically.

The SW5e rule set is an uncontrolled dumpster fire.

In March 2020 they announced the final version of the PHB. It was to be the final version and only have minor errata fixes. Anything new would be called expanded content, but the PHB would remain the same.
This did not happen.

I spent many months keeping up with the tweaks looking forward to this event. Then, the tweaking resumed almost immediately. I realized I could never keep up. Especially when they stopped carefully documenting what pages had changes from release to release. Fine for them, they are just updating one master PDF. But, maintaining a translation into electronic implementation of the rules into Fantasy Grounds became untenable. So, I am striving to add some stability to the rule set.

So, I stuck with the "final" March 2020 rule set. Since I can't do what everyone would want and "update everything all the time", I'd wait until someone brings up a specific issue.

So far, this is the first time anyone has brought up a specific issue with a later version of the PHB.

I will add "Update Berserker class" to my project list.
My question to you is... would you make this a higher priority than effects/features since they are pretty easy to do yourself since a GM only has to do what their players are actually using?

Thanks for the info, and as a developer, I completely understand the let downs of trying to be up to date with content like this, personally, I would prefer to update the content instead of adding the effects, because as you are saying, as a DM I can easily implement the feature effects on my own, it's a pretty straightforward thing to do if the DMs just stick to all the tutorials and wikis around FG.

On the other hands, a few of us knows how to make the content and implement it at some point for a setting, that's where you current work shines the most, so, if you ask me, I will absolutely prefer the updated content, since you know a lot better that myself you setting files (.mods. and .ext).

As I said before, I'm happy to help wherever I can to make this setting version as good as we can.

pico
December 1st, 2020, 00:48
lordcygnus,
You are doing me a great favor by calling out specific things that need attention. With bite sized things to fix, I can make progress.

I have just updated the PHB module with the updated berserker class.

lordcygnus
December 1st, 2020, 01:23
lordcygnus,
You are doing me a great favor by calling out specific things that need attention. With bite sized things to fix, I can make progress.

I have just updated the PHB module with the updated berserker class.

Great, thanks for the quick reply/fix, testing on both FGU and FGC, it seems that the Berserker class is working ok.

We've found something with the Consular class: there is no Way of Suggestion for the level 3 prompt selection, and in the Way of Lighting, the Electric Attunement has the word Affinity on it instead.

Also, we were trying to use the B2-HA Super Battle Droid, and the Rocket Launcher ACTION doesn't have a DC for the Dexterity Save, hence is not working as it should (check the other ACTION called Wrist Blaster Volley that has the DC 13 Dexterity saving throw), probably the rocket launcher one just needs a DC and that's it for fixing it.

Thanks!

lordcygnus
December 1st, 2020, 02:29
Just finished to review the Engineer class, here are the changes.

Check table for the Potent Aptitude values as a column (remove them from the Features Column) and change Slots to Modifications Slots.
Level 2 Tool Expertise instead of Tool Understanding.
Level 3 is missing the Gadgeteer Engineering and Astrotech Engineering is no longer there, replaced by Unstable Engineering (I'm checking and the Astrotech Engineering is at the Expanded Content, so I'm reviewing it as well)
Change Infuse Item at level 2 to Infuse Item (+1) and add Infuse Item (+2) at Level 10, Infuse Item (+3) at Level 15.

In the Armomerch Engineering:
* Level 6 Ability for the Armormech Engineering should be Extra Attack
* Remove Casting Celerity Level 14 and put Armomerch's Celerity instead.
* In the Armomerch Modifications:
- Absorption Shield should have the Physical Shield requirement instead of Light Shield Generator.
- Advanced power fist should have Armor as a requirement.
- Remove Armorweave Underlay.
- Artificially Intelligent should have level 9 and Armor requirements.
- Add Bonded Plates.
- Change Collapsible Suit requirement to Level 5 and Armor.
- Remove Dampening Overlay.
- Change Electroshock Shield requirement to Shield Generator instead of Heavy Shield.
- Change Infiltration Suit requirement to Armor instead of Light or Medium Armor. (Not sure about this)
- Change Overload Shield requirement to Shield Generator instead of Light or Medium Shield Generator.
- Change Prototype Power Fist requirement to Level 5, Armor instead of the current value.
- Add Reinforced Overlay.
- Shield Amplifier should only have Shield Generator as a requirement.
- Change Shield Cover to Shield Anchor.
- Change Weapon Integration to Weapon Integration Armoring.

In the Armstech Engineering:
* In the Armstech Modifications:
- Remove Augmented Steps.
- Change Burst Fire to Burst Core.
- Change Booming Strikes requirement to Level 5.
- Add Celerity Oscillator.
- Change Collapsible Hilt to Collapsible Frame.
- Add Improved Burst Core.
- Change Jagged Edge to Jagged Oscillator.
- Change Keen Edge to Keen Oscillator.
- Change Power Loop requirement to Level 9.
- Change Subdued Recoil to Recoil Dampener.
- Change Returning Weapon to Returning Weapon Guard.
- Change Shock Harpoon to Shocking Harpoon.
- Change Shocking Strike to Shocking Oscillator.
- Add Stabilizer Cell.
- Add Staggering Oscillator.
- Change Venomous Weapon for Venomous Oscillator.

In the Astrotech Engineering:
* In the Astrotech Upgrades change the wording to Astrotech Modifications:
- Add Analysis Protocol.
- Remove the Class 4 Droid Requirement from Back-Up Protocol.
- Add Darkvision Optics.
- Remove the Class 4 Droid Requirement from Emergency Mode.
- Remove the Level Requirement from the Four-Armed Combatant.
- Add Martial Protocol.
- Add Memory Protocol.
- Add Powerful Droid.
- Add Powerful Grip.
- Add the d6 Hit Die requirement to Premium Power Core.
- Add Truesight Optics.

Thanks!

lordcygnus
December 1st, 2020, 03:12
Now with the Fighter class, same drill as before.

Add the Martial Superiority column to the class table.
Add the Fighting Mastery at 3rd level (and possible reference to that particular feature list within chapter 6 of the PHB).
Add Heavy Weapon Specialist to the 3rd level Fighter Specialty prompt window (and all related information on that subclass)
Change Fighter Specialty to Fighter Specialty Feature at level 7th, 10th, 15th and 18th.

In the Assault Specialist:
* Change the Brute Force ability, new values for damage per level and updated requirement as well.
* Add Remarkable Athlete at 3rd level.
* Check the updated wording on the Brutish Durability 7th level ability.

In the Shield Specialist:
* Check and update the Techcasting new values for the known powers and wording within the feature.
* Add Stay in Formation.
* Check the fighter word typo on the Rallying Cry feature text.

In the Tactical Specialist:
* Check the wording and setup for the all features within the subclass, table for Tactical Specialist Superiority Dice and Maneuvers Known as well.
* Update Student of War to Bonus Proficiencies at 3rd level.
* Update the other 3rd level feature to Improved Combat Superiority.
- Add inside the Improved Combat Superiority:
. Improved Maneuvers.
. Improved Superiority Dice.
* Change Signature Maneuver to 3rd level.
* Change Greater Signature Maneuver to level 10th
* Add Maneuver Mastery at level 18th.

lordcygnus
December 1st, 2020, 04:03
Here is the Guardian feedback as well =)

Update class description word from Predator to Destroyer.
Update Class Table, Force Powers Known values and add Focused Strikes column as well.
Change Force Powered Strikes description, they have new values per level for the damage.
Move Guardian Aura to level 3 and add Fighting Style to Level 2.
Change Guardian Focus to Focus Feature at level 7, 15 and 20.
Add Guardian Aura (15 ft radius) to level 9.
Change Guardian Aura description to Guardian Aura (two auras) at level 10.
Add Guardian Aura (30 ft radius) at level 17.
Change Guardian Aura description to Guardian Aura (three auras) at level 18.
For the 3rd level prompt subclass selection, the current PHB has Makashi, Niman, Shien/Djem So, and Soresu
. We are missing Niman and Shien/Djem So forms completely, please add the two forms currently not present.
. Shii-choo is on the EC so I'm going to review it here as well.
Remove Aura of Devotion from the Guardian Aura list.

In the Form II - Makashi:
* Change the Fighting Style wording and title to Form Basics.
* Change the Channel The Force content from Advancing Defender to Makashi Riposte. (it has the Spec. Required as Form III - Soresu, so if the other one has the Makashi Riposte, just change it, going to review Soresu after)
* Glancing Blow content is repeated, remove the repeated part.

In the Form III - Soresu:

In the Form I - Shii-Cho:
* Need to separate the Channel The Force ability from The Way of The Sarlacc.
* Be sure to check the Channel the Force ability Disarming Strike.
* Change the DeterminatioN word for Determination in the Master of Determination level 20 ability.

lordcygnus
December 1st, 2020, 04:49
And here are the Monk change as well.

Check table values:
. Change Martial Arts Damage Die column to Martial Arts with dice values column.
. Add Monastic Vows column.
Add Monastic Vows to level 2 (and all related content), change Unarmored Movement to level 3 (also, new wording in the ability description)
Level 6 change Focused Strikes to Enhanced Strikes.
Move Purity of Body to level 13 and add Ability Score Improvement to level 10.
Change Monastic Order wording to Monastic Order Feature at level 6, 11 and 17.
Remove Tongue of the Sun and Moon from level 13.
Change Timeless Body to Timeless Vessel at level 15.
At the Martial Arts description, update new content.
Change the Focus description, update to new content for each ability.
At level 3, promtp subclass selector:
. remove Teras Kasi Order, doesn't exists anymore on any of the 5E content.
. Add Matukai and Crimson Orders to the selector (and all PHB Content related to these two orders).

In the Nightsister Order
* Ichor Lighting has a new content description, please change.
* Dark Magick description needs a change as well.

I'm done for today, let me know if you need help regarding these changes, I'll gladly help you out if you instruct me on how to do it =) thaaaaaaaaaaaanks!

lordcygnus
December 1st, 2020, 05:16
Operative updated info after a quick review!

At the class table, add the Operative Exploits column.
At level 2 add Operative Exploits (and all PHB content related to this feature).
Change Bad Feeling from level 2 to level 3.
At level 3 prompt selection:
. Acquisitions and Beguiler Practices missing, please add them (and all related PHB content).
. Lethality and Saboteur Practices from the EC, to be reviewed.

In the Lethality Practice:
* Add Lethal Strikes to level 3 (and all related EC content).

In the Saboteur Practice:
* Check Techcasting table for updated values.
* Change Tracking Droid Improvements to Tracker Droid Companion, and update description and all related Generating your Tracker Droid content.
- Not so sure about the Tracker Droid Upgrades, but you can list those just in case.
* Add Ion Pulse at level 13.
* Remove Explosive Retribution.

Thanks! =)

lordcygnus
December 1st, 2020, 21:44
Here are the Scholar items for review/update!

At the class table:
. Check the values for the Academic Superiority and Discoveries columns, update needed.
Change Multitasker descriptor to updated one.
At level 3 Academic Pursuit prompt windows:
. Change the Physician word for Doctor in the first option and all related descriptors for it.
. Gambler pursuit is missing, add the option and all related content from the PHB.

In the Doctor Pursuit:
* Separate Remote Healer and all the Additional Maneuvers.
* Check last point on the Additional Maneuvers, add it and put all the content present for it from the Remote Healer feature.
* Change Discoveries-Physician Pursuit descriptor to Discoveries (Doctor).
- Put a reference link to the Side Effects table already created
- Change Scholar Physician Side Effects name and references if possible.

In the Politician Pursuit:
* The Additional Maneuvers are being referenced from another set of skills (probably the Tactician Pursuit), change it to have the content for the Politician Pursuit and update references.
* Change the wording for Discoveries-Politician to Discoveries (Politician).

In the Tactician Pursuit:
* Change the wording for Discoveries-Tactician to Discoveries (Tactician).

Thanks!

lordcygnus
December 1st, 2020, 23:46
Here are the Scout items:

At the class table:
- Add Ranger's Quarry column with dice values.
- Check and update values for Tech Powers Known and Tech Points column.
Remove Swift Response from Level 1 and add Pathfinder.
Add Scout Routine to Level 3.
Add Scout Routine (two routines) to Level 7.
Add Scout Routine (15-foot radius) to Level 9.
Add Expertise to Level 14.
Add Scout Routine (three routines) to Level 15.
Add Scout Routine (30-foot radius) to Level 17.
Change Ranger's Quarry descriptor and update ability content.
At level 3 at the Scout Technique prompt windows:
. Add the Slayer and Bulwark Techniques that are missing (from the PHB).
. Deadeye Technique is from the EC, going to review here as well.

In the Deadeye Technique:
* Update values to the Deadeye Technique subclass table.
- Change values for the Focused Superiority column.
- Change values for the Superiority dice column.
* Add the Maneuvers sub title and description to the Focused Superiority ability (there is only the reference to the Maneuvers there).
* Change Suppresing Fire to Covering Fire on the Maneuvers.

Thanks!

lordcygnus
December 2nd, 2020, 04:23
and finally, the Sentinel class =)

At the Class Table:
- Update values for the Force Powers Known column.
- Change Kinetic Combat Damage Die column title to Kinetic Combat Damage and check/update values on the column.
At Level 1 remove Kinetic Combat and add Led by the Force (add the latest from the PHB).
Add Sentinel Ideals (three ideals) to Level 6.
Add Sentinel Ideals (three manifestations) to Level 9.
Add Sentinel Ideals (four ideals) to Level 11.
Add Sentinel Ideals (four manifestations) to Level 17.
Change Forcecasting to match the content in the PHB.
Change the Force-Empowered Self to match the content in the PHB.
Remove Ideal of the Fighter from the Sentinel Ideals list.
Remove the reference of "Spec.Required Stalker Technique" from all the Sentinel Ideals list.
At level 3 at the Sentinel Calling prompt windows:
. Add the Path of the Forceblade that is missing (from the PHB).
. Deadeye Technique is from the EC, going to review here as well.

In the Path of Aggresion:
* Change Voltaic Slash description to the updated version.
* Change Thunderous Momentum description to the updated version.

In the Path of Focus:
* Change Focused Burst description to the updated version.
* Change Blade Storm description to the updated version.

In the Path of Shadows:
* Change Dead Silence description to the updated version.

With this, you can do the related updates, as proposed, I'm going to work on the text changes to help you out, let you know when finished.

Thanks!

pico
December 2nd, 2020, 05:07
lordcygnus,
Thank you for the detailed write up on each class. I've started adding them as projects in github. I have limited time over the next week, but should be able to hit them soon. It takes about 2-4 hours work to completely rebuild a class from a fresh copy/paste of the SW5e PHB pdf, so this should allow me to focus on what's changed rather than a wholesale redo.

I'd also like to figure out how to make some of these lists of optional features into something the player can drag into their character sheet when they choose them from the list... it's similar to how the warlock works, so I'm sure there's a way... but par5e can be tricky to figure out the "correct" way to do it. Currently they are just lists under the class feature that provides the list and players need to just type in their choices. I'll add this as a project after the updating is done.

I've also searched and found any changelogs from the sw5e project that have come out since my last update. Might be a good way to double check things:
https://github.com/BeeGrinder/FantasyGrounds-SW5e/issues/12

pico
December 10th, 2020, 00:59
Update to updating to the current (Nov. 2020) SW5e PDFs.

With the help of lordcygnus, the classes, backgrounds, feats, and races have all been updated.
Next is equipment. This should be done shortly. Keep an eye out.
Finally is spells...

Spells will be updated as time allows. These are symptomatic of the entire SW5e project.
In the past 10 months after declaring the "final" version of the PHB content, they have added over 100 new spells... at least, the count is still going.
I will not simply copy in the text. These will have full effects for use in the combat tracker. So this update will take time.

Why take the time to code effects for every spell? Because this is Fantasy Grounds. If you just want a simple spell name and some text, why not just use roll20? The automation of the combat tracker for the players and the GM are what FG is all about!
So, until this massive update is complete, simply add the spell to the players sheet and use the PDF.
If you see an NPC in my PHB module that uses a spell not update yet, tell me, and I will prioritize it so the NPCs all work in the combat tracker.

Thanks

Randor
February 10th, 2021, 02:09
I just wanted to say thank-you for all your hard work. It is very much appreciated. I started inputting everything manually in to my copy of FG and only got weapons and about 1/2 the NPCs entered. Nothing else. Then I asked in the facebook group if anyone had done an FG SW5e module and no one responded for days. Finally I googled it and this came up in the search. From here I was able to track down your files. They are awesome. I understand why they are read only due to the amount of work that went in to them as I can attest to the small amount of work I did on my own before finding your files. I only wish that there had been an unprotected version and I like to sort my NPCs my way but I can work within your categories just as well. Great job. THANK-YOU.

pico
February 10th, 2021, 15:17
Thank you Randor.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by read-only. As a GM you should be able to copy any NPC and modify it. I am trying to emulate the PHB and MM way of doing things from 5e.
Also, I have everything (all files, source, etc.) available to anyone who wants it available on github. You can find a link in the first post of this thread.

I am working on a complete overhaul that will be updated and hopefully in a single module. It hasn't been easy, so there have been some delays. But, it should be done in a matter of weeks.

pico
February 14th, 2021, 01:43
Version 3.0 (pre-release) is ready for testing.
(do not use if in the middle of a campaign, let more testing happen please!)

This is a complete overhaul of my Fantasy Grounds module for SW5e.

- Everything in a single module file. So there's one mod and one extension. Available do download here (https://github.com/BeeGrinder/FantasyGrounds-SW5e/releases/tag/v3.0.1).

I need some more eyes on this, I will be testing this as much as I can, but I have limited time, so my own testing will be somewhat slow. Any assistance is appreciated.

Edit note: the release link above will be updated while testing until the final release of SW5e Fantasy Grounds version 3. So, check while testing to see if a new file version is available.

PjToledo91
February 15th, 2021, 00:18
Hello, I'm starting a Star Wars campaign and just found this thread! Such amazing work will definitely be utiliziting this download! I have installed it and one thing I've noticed as an error is when Twi'lek language is brought onto a character sheet from the race it separates the language into Twi and Leki, instead of one language.

pico
February 15th, 2021, 00:28
huh... well, hadn't noticed that one before. Thanks for reporting it.

Looking deeper into this, for now you need to edit the character sheet entry for languages and enter the correct language as Twi'leki
I don't see any problem in the module XML, so this looks like a FG issue. If this continues to be the case, I may have to report it as a bug.

update:
This is indeed a bug in both FGU and FGC. It has been posted in the house of healing forum. But, since this is a long standing "feature" I would not expect fast action.

Work-Around: until FG is fixed do the following when creating a Twi'lek player character:

After dragging the race onto the character sheet, open the Abilities tab
Delete the false languages Twi and leki
Then manually enter a new language as Twi'leki

I will add a note about this in the SW5e reference section of the module.

Randor
February 16th, 2021, 07:54
Another great version Pico. Nice to have it all in one module and extension. I was wondering if you plan on fixing the NPCs: AT-AT, AT-TE, AT-ST, AAT, and the IG-227 Hailfire Class Droid? You have one of their actions listed as the Type of NPC and it makes it a little more difficult to sort NPCs by correct type. Also you could fix the Twi'Leki language issue just by removing the apostrophe in the race language information

pico
February 16th, 2021, 14:19
I've been struggling with the gargantuan size issue for a while. It's a bug with par5e, not Fantasy Grounds, so there's nobody to report it to. But, now I've written a post-processor for par5e, so I might be able to add a size fixer.

On the Twi'leki issue, if you add the language in a way that does not match the pull-down in the chat window, then the players who speak that language will not get auto-translation.

Also, Moon Wizard says a bug-fix is going in for this issue soon.

pico
February 16th, 2021, 23:06
FYI. The issue with the language Twi'leki has been fixed with today's update.

PjToledo91
February 17th, 2021, 07:28
I'm utilizing your mod and adding some of the extended content to my campaign including starships, the way i'm making the star ships for FG is creating the ships and the deployments as classes (adding the ship as a playable character to the party) and creating Ventures in the feats and manually adding the Mods and equipment to the items. I'll let you know how it works in my campaign!

Also question (possible help) I've found this bomb *** theme but it's old and the original coder isn't working on the project anymore,

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53302-Genesys-(FFG-RPG)-work-in-progress

the Classes, Races, Backgrounds, Feats and Spells icons don't have the same coded image, how can I fix this?

PjToledo91
February 17th, 2021, 08:13
The Force Adept background code doesn't allow you to choose the skills from Deception, Insight, Persuasion, and Perception but instead adds the words "choose from..." instead of the pop up menu.

pico
February 17th, 2021, 14:57
Thanks PjToledo91. I'll add the Force Adept issue to my list of v3 bugs.

On the starships and expanded content, I would love to have the time to look into these other things, but I'm just now getting barely enough time to look at the PHB and Monster manual stuff. So, that's my "fence".

I am leaving the other content up to those who would like to step in/up and publish their own modules. I only have time for the basic foundation. If I can ever convince one of my groups to actually play this game, that may change.

PjToledo91
February 17th, 2021, 18:49
Not a problem, I tested the other backgrounds and these all don't transfer skills correctly. - Investigator, Force Adept, Outlaw, Pirate, and Nomad.

pico
February 18th, 2021, 14:33
Awesome PjToledo91. Thanks for doing some testing. I've updated the issue and I really appreciate the help.

Things are a bit crazy here in Texas at the moment. I'll get on these issues when life returns to near normal. But, I've been fortunate to have fairly small power and water loss, so I've become a family evacuation site.

PjToledo91
February 19th, 2021, 03:04
OH boy stay safe in Texas! I found another error in regards to the classes, in all classes the feature"ability score improvement" Is supposed to be distributed at 4, 8, 12 etc levels however in the coding it generates a level 0 skill only and won't be added in the addition levels.

pico
February 19th, 2021, 15:17
Thanks PjToledo91 I'll add that issue to my list... that was working... wonder what went wrong there... so many moving parts. lol

pico
February 20th, 2021, 18:56
All reported issues have been addressed.

And, I've released v3.0 as "stable". See first post in this thread for more details.

sparticusonfire
February 24th, 2021, 04:11
Hello,
first, thanks so much for your work on these modules.

I'm not sure what happened, perhaps with the latest update to FG unity, but the spells don't seem to be populating in character creation, nor is there a spell button. Spells are still listed on old character sheets. I tried creating a new campaign and using the modules/ext (one at a time) from version 2 3.02, and 3.05 without success. Which is why I'm wondering if it's a problem introduced by Fantasy grounds.

I'm running the latest FGU update which shows as 4.0.10 ultimate (2021-02-04).

sparticusonfire
February 24th, 2021, 04:49
Nevermind, figured it out! There was indeed a change to the latest FGU. Customization of the side bar was moved to under options. I was able to add the missing buttons to the side bar. Force powers still don't show up in the character generator--not sure if that was a current feature or not.
Thanks.

pico
February 24th, 2021, 13:57
Character Wizard is under construction for SW5e. As far as I know it has never worked well enough to create a usable SW5e character. Hopefully I'll get that fixed soon.

pico
February 26th, 2021, 03:16
New update. Fixed character wizard issues. Plus other fixes.

And, there is now a new star field background extension (see first post for link) that will override the background of a theme. So, I'm using it with the new FG Dark theme and it looks great for a SW5e game.

zhivy
March 3rd, 2021, 21:40
This is awesome! Thanks for all the hard work to port this over!!!

Sharkness
March 5th, 2021, 19:15
Haven't figured it out yet but I'm using your mod and the players when connected to FG from my host game are unable to see the SW5e category under the "groups" filters. They can select it but a lot of the information is being defaulted into "Uncategorized" Or just simply not there for them on their end (not encountering it on my host game). Seems like a FG host connection issue but wanted to report.

pico
March 5th, 2021, 19:35
Sharkness, not sure which window you are talking about. If it's all of them, did you have them go to their Library->Modules and hit the "Load" button on the SW5e module? I recently started a new game and forgot that. It's easy to forget if you don't start new campaigns often.

(there is no need to have the player's download anything. They get the SW5e extension and module from the GM's server)

Sharkness
March 5th, 2021, 21:06
No I have the modules loaded and the players have to have the modules loaded as well is what I meant by having them download it.

pico
March 5th, 2021, 21:44
Ok. I'm using Unity. But, it shouldn't matter, they should both share extensions and modules the same way. I'm also assuming we are talking about the latest v3.x versions of the extension and module.

When setting up a new SW5e campaign,

select the normal 5e ruleset
then select the SW5e extension (the extension is required).
Start the campaign
after you (the GM) starts the campaign, go to Library-Modules, select the SW5e Player Book and hit the "Load" button
after each player connects, have them go to Library-Modules, select the SW5e Player Book and hit the "Load" button

On one occasion I had to have the players exit FG after doing the above and return to see everything, but it has not done that recently

I advise against having each player load their own copy of the extension and module. Since they are playing your game, they will get it downloaded to their cache automatically. Otherwise you may get conflicts if you update and they do not. I tested this last week on a fresh install of both the GM (Ultimate) copy and the generic player (free) software. It worked great. If you are still seeing issues, I can try it again.

Randor
March 6th, 2021, 22:35
I just wanted to say thanks again. I notice that in each version you are not only bug fixing, converting from 2 modules to one, but also adding more content either as it is published or more from fisto's codex. You are awesome dude. keep up the great work. I was hoping that in the next versions you might add the legendary bounty hunters from fisto's. Thanks in advance....

pico
March 6th, 2021, 23:23
Thanks Randor. I added a little, but I find that I've bitten off enough by doing the PHB and Monster Manual (Scum and Villainy). I've had to stop adding any more expanded content.

Randor
March 7th, 2021, 01:23
Pico, Do you know of any one using your data sets and making Adventure Modules? I am currently in the process of using your version 3.0.2 to convert the FFG Age of Rebellion starter adventure Rescue at Glare Peak for use with fantasy grounds.

pico
March 7th, 2021, 02:18
Sorry, I do not. I have been doing what you are doing for a new campaign. I'm "converting" the Edge of the Empire starter adventure as a short introduction for my DnD group. I'm also looking at some old Star Wars D20 modules as possible sources. They are much closer to how the SW5e would work and should be easier to convert.

Randor
March 7th, 2021, 02:27
If you are doing Edge of Empire stuff conversion, i'd be interested in maybe doing a file swap of the Age of Rebellion stuff I am doing for it, when it is done of course....I am sure that either adventure would work for us using your original game system files. Maybe we can take turns cranking out adventures based on the older stuff too... If I get to adding any more NPC's from Fisto's I will include them too.

Randor
March 16th, 2021, 21:09
Pico, with the updates to the SW5e PHB that were published today.... are those going to be implemented in an update for your modules? or are you too busy converting previous version adventures to tackle this right now? converting my own adventures i have found it a little daunting as well as time consuming, so i would certainly understand not being available to update the module at the moment.

pico
March 16th, 2021, 21:15
The SW5e PHB was announced to be "final" early in 2020 and would only have corrections and typo fixes.

This was obviously not the case, and they have pretty much rewritten every class, background, spell and even equipment since it was "final".

This is why my work has a download link to the PDF that matches what I've got in my module.

Randor
March 17th, 2021, 01:42
Good enough for me....

tk747rt
April 17th, 2021, 11:21
I was hoping for something like this! I’ve been using FG for a bit now and would love to run a Star Wars based campaign even if it wasn’t official, just something to bounce basic attributes against and some NPCs ideas, so this is perfect! Thanks for leaning forward and doing this!

This module and extension implement the SW5e rule set. This is a 5e (OGL) based conversion to a Star Wars universe.

This work includes the PHB and Scum and Villainy (Monsters/NPCs) PDF content from the SW5e project (link below)

The following extension and module must be loaded together to host a game using this ruleset.

Extension: The extension named "sw5e.ext" must be in your extension folder and selected when you create your 5e campaign.
Modules: The "SW5e Player Book.mod" must be in your modules folder and load from the Library->Modules tabs.

My testing has shown that the module and the extension are compatible with both FGU and FGC

FG Forum says my module is too big to upload, so you must get them from these links:

Current Version:
Download release version 3.0 here: release 3.0 download from GitHub (https://github.com/BeeGrinder/FantasyGrounds-SW5e/releases/tag/v3.0.5)

Old Version for old campaign compatibility:
Download the version 2.0 release from here: release 2 download from GitHub (https://github.com/BeeGrinder/FantasyGrounds-SW5e/releases/tag/2.0.0)

SW5e project website: https://www.sw5e.com/
(I have no affiliation with the sw5e project)

SW5e Content:
10 new classes with dozens of subclasses
35 new races (Species and driods)
35 new backgrounds
100 new feats
400+ new spells (Powers)
390 new Items/equipment
276 new NPCs
new weapons, creature types, damage types, skills, languages, and a single currency

All my sources are on github: https://github.com/BeeGrinder/FantasyGrounds-SW5e

Now includes spell and item effects inspired by and with permission of rob2e under condition that no money is ever charged for this work. Thanks!
Spells with coding have (*FG Coding) in their description. Those without this note may need to be manually coded until I can update the newer spells.

Be sure to read the notes below AND the reference section for DMs in the module. Because the SW5e rules do not perfectly match a true 5e game, some things do not function quite like a real 5e game. When I find these behaviors I make a note in these two areas. I try to fix them, but if I can not find a solution, I do my best to warn you so you are not surprised.

I've also created a starfield background extension (https://github.com/BeeGrinder/FantasyGrounds-SW5e/releases/tag/v3.0.7)
This extension replaces the current theme's background with a simple starfield. Works great with FG Dark or Simple Gray themes.

Also, see the SW5e reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/sw5e/

pico
April 17th, 2021, 17:17
I hope you can find it useful and create an enjoyable game.

pico
April 23rd, 2021, 02:48
released update 3.0.10 of main module.

More spells have usable effects to make FG automated combat easier.

The character wizard should work to select Race, Class, Background and stat adjustments. But, Starting equipment and background bonus proficiency/equipment/money are not selected or added. Do it manually. Also, any inventory, spells, or feats are not tested to work yet.

RitchieB87
May 19th, 2021, 11:38
Hi Pico,

First off, thank you very much for creating and maintaining this brilliant extension.

I have recently upgraded Unity to Version 4.1.1 (2021-05) and since then have been unable to roll skill/ability checks. I grab the value from the character sheet then get the below error in the log. The roll doesn't happen and just the value of the ability is put in the chat. This also happens for Party Sheet rolls.

"[5/19/2021 12:37:32 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_action_check.lua"]:41: attempt to index global 'ActorManager2' (a nil value)

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)"

I have tried this on a fresh campaign and I have downloaded the latest version of the EXT and MOD files from the Git hub page, this does not change things. This also doesn't happen on a Standard (fantasy) D&D5e campaign so I think it is related to the SW5E extension.

Is this something that is known about?

Kind Regards,
Ritchie

pico
May 19th, 2021, 23:06
Thanks Ritchie887
I am able to create a test game in 4.1 and all these seem to work.

Another check is make sure you deleted the old extension and/or module. They have different file names because of version numbers. So, downloading doesn't necessarily overwrite.
Make sure the old SW5e Supplement module is DELETED.

Finally, to make sure something else isn't interfering, when loading the campaign, make sure only the SW5e extension is selected and the SW5e module is the only think loaded. The last big update caused a lot of problems in this and many other extensions. But, so far, I'm not seeing any issues.

Update: On one of my computers I had an old SW5e campaign with some characters rolled up by some friends... I upgraded it to 4.1 and did not see any issues.

This reinforces the theory that it must be some sort of interference from another extension or module.

Sorry, but I can't think of any other things to try.

RitchieB87
May 20th, 2021, 09:16
Thanks for looking into this. You were right, it was another extension.
ADVDIS_Hotkeys_v0.4.ext (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?44212-Advantage-amp-Disadvantage-hotkey-extension).

Seems like I had not removed this from the SW5E Campaign and had not added it to the Test 5E Campaign. Removing/Adding this extension breaks/fixes things.

Sorry to have used up your time!

jfbanks1986
May 27th, 2021, 06:49
So I have added the V3 mod and ext folders and almost everything seems to be working. Except there are no powers(spells). No tab for it. No options in character wizard. Notta... did I miss something getting everything loaded?

Edit... nevermind I closed and reloaded and it all came up

pico
May 27th, 2021, 14:42
I should add this as a "first run" hint. Thanks jfbanks1986.

Tyrannosaurus VeX
June 9th, 2021, 08:50
I'm prepping to run a campaign using this .ext/.mod you've made pico. So far, I'm really impressed.

As for the Starship implementation, I think what I'm going to do is build the Starship using a PC character sheet. I think I can create "enemy" ships using NPC sheets and get the relevant info built so that the usual 5E automation actually works in combat. I'm going to test this out tomorrow with an actual PC, a PC Ship, and a NPC ship and see if I can make it so it all works correctly the way I want it to.

SilentRuin
June 9th, 2021, 14:35
Just a note as Vex is posting here - as all my extensions work with this I have not attained the level of "lazy DMing" with the data I normally wish. So I've spent the last 24 hours (since I've heard of this) doing all the data in the PHB mod of this with a supplement which has every power/effect defined for items/feats/etc. so they play nice manually or with equipped effects like Aridhro's 5E data (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67481-5E-Automatic-Effects) does.

I'll be dropping it in here for free with permission for the author of this thread to completely incorporate it into his .mod (rather than having a supplement - or just leaving it as it is). When it comes out - usually caveats apply - use at own risk. Here is a screen shot of where I am so far (Just hit H's). Will probably be another day or two or three before completed. Keep in mind I have yet to play a game in this and just doing prep work to make sure I have to do as little as possible in the way of DMing.

pico
June 9th, 2021, 14:44
That's awesome. I have only included a few item and class-specific effects as examples. I might have had time for more if they didn't seem to completely rewrite the PHB every few months. I think even Smiteworks would stop maintaining D&D if Wizards did that. lol

SilentRuin
June 9th, 2021, 14:46
That's awesome. I have only included a few item and class-specific effects as examples. I might have had time for more if they didn't seem to completely rewrite the PHB every few months. I think even Smiteworks would stop maintaining D&D if Wizards did that. lol

Well the advantage of being retired and having a break in my COS game that I need a one shot for and chose this based on Vex notifying me of its existence. As everything in this awesome thing is free - I figured it was only fair to do this work pro bono also. Plus if you add it in after I post it you can maintain it as I'll have no interest in doing so ;)

And keep in mind I'm just using YOUR data - not going through their PDFs. I'm lazy not crazy ;)

Tyrannosaurus VeX
June 9th, 2021, 22:31
Before I go down this dark path ... no one else has already turned all the Starship Equipment / Weapons into FG items, have they?

I'd hate to be doing work someone else already did.

pico
June 10th, 2021, 02:06
@Tyrannosaurus VeX, none that I am aware of. I'm sure everyone would be very pleased to have something available to use. I never really intended on doing much beyond the PHB and NPCs. I had hoped to inspire others to do the missing parts... looks like I may have done that?

Tyrannosaurus VeX
June 10th, 2021, 06:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JK9gsyFrpk

Ok, using Zodiak's mod as a base, I have modified his work and added in my own and I've put together a .mod that works fairly well at bringing Starship combat from the SW5e rulest into this Fantasy Grounds 5E workaround that Pico has made. I could type several long blocks of text explaining how to use it, but instead, just watch the video. I know it's an hour long, but it is comprehensive.

I hope this helps people trying to figure out how to do some starship combat in FG.

Some helpful Extensions that I think make the experience better:
- SilentRuin's Extensions (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/336265/Fantasy-Grounds-Unity-SilentRuins-Extension-BUNDLE), specifically Combat Groups and Equipped Effects.
- Kelrugem's Ongoing Temporary Hitpoints (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56194-Extension-Ongoing-temporary-hitpoints), this can automate shield recharging (sort of). But if you want it RAW, you'll have to roll manually every turn. I prefer using this extension and not having the shields necessarily recharge cumulatively, but more like how TEMP HP works in FG already, this just makes it move smoother/faster.

razzed1
June 10th, 2021, 19:29
I think this was asked, but does anyone have any adventures converted already that they would be willing to share?
Or tokens, even...
Either or any of this would be amazing!

pico
June 11th, 2021, 01:21
I use FFG, old SWRPG/Saga (Wizards), and even the old SWd6 adventures. There is a TON of them out there, even entire campaign guides.

A guy published an entire collection of Star Wars tokens (mostly clone wars era) in the reddit group r/swrpg search it for tokens, they are still published on his google drive from what I can see.

I hope it's alright to link the reddit posts here for these tokens:
stuck_in_quarantine_but_still_want_to_fight_the (https://www.reddit.com/r/swrpg/comments/g20fgl/stuck_in_quarantine_but_still_want_to_fight_the/)
325_tokens_are_ready_with_a_million_more_well_on (https://www.reddit.com/r/swrpg/comments/g4h3x2/325_tokens_are_ready_with_a_million_more_well_on/)
the_clone_wars_rage_on_heres_a_second_token_pack (https://www.reddit.com/r/swrpg/comments/g3mtvb/the_clone_wars_rage_on_heres_a_second_token_pack/)

There are several others, but that should get you started collecting those tokens

This is a link to FFG and their free adventures. They are not d20, but are a great source of ideas:
FFG Free Adventure Downloads (https://www.legendsofthegalaxy.com/Adventure-Downloads/)

razzed1
June 11th, 2021, 03:02
Perfect! Thank you!

SilentRuin
June 12th, 2021, 00:07
What my goals were:
1) Make sure it works with equipped effects extension (this is for me, Vex, and Razzed after all and we all have it).
2) Make sure people without equipped effects can use the data manually. (this was a freaking nightmare and took 100 of hours - had a known before I started I would have "let them eat" cake if they didn't have the extension)

[Warning: If you remove something that is crosslinked that link is an ID in the DB which will be reused. That means it will point to garbage (a new empty item - or something that just filled up the ID that was deleted and reused) just FYI. For example, updating a power/effect for a spell requires you to delete the old one which will make any links to it garbage which must be replaced with the new link.]

Here are some of the things I did:
1) Made sure I defined all feature/feat/trait and items with power(spell)/custom effects where generically feasible (so many special case rules that I did very few as not many are generic).
2) Crosslink all powers I created to their respective feature/feat/trait/item.
3) Crosslink all feature/feat/item to the powers I made for them.
4) Replaced most/all classes/backgrounds/tables with relevant links.
5) Created missing data which was in text form - you can't choose text to be part of your abilities or action tab. This involved recreating A LOT of lists and a lot of data that was not there as linked data.

This is a supplement to pico's current .mod on page 1. This new .mod is supplied in much the same way Aridhro's 5e Automatic Effect modules were, providing the name matches required for equipped effects to do its thing. Where you see more than one of something use the "SW5e Extras" version. Charwizard will pick up all the SW5e_Extra.mod first where overridden due to the alphabetical nature of how searches work.

If you have equipped effects extension this will just automatically keep your action tab up to date as you equip/unequip or add features/feats/traits into your abilities tab or drop things into the CT. To get it to redo the actions tab you'd have to delete all the entries in it and re drop it into the CT.

If you only want pieces of it - simply load - copy pieces you want to your local DB and unload. Presto done. But its designed as one solid piece and has NO GUARUNTEE of me EVER - as in EVER - maintaining it. I put this all in a data form that allowed me to be my true lazy DM self and use equipped effects with it - so build this .... monstrosity.

All Power definitions I provide are only suggestions and likely have to be modified before actual use based on description - think of them as head starts you can optionally use, redefine, or delete and do your own thing.

I provide the campaign I used to create it which had SW5e.Player.Book-3.0.10.mod (pico's page 1 mod) and my SW5e_Extras.mod (supplement to pico's for equipped effects and full linkable data). I have no plans to keep up to date with the constant changes of SW5e pdf's and will be using this as is for my games. I will provide the campaign I used to create it you can modify your own version. IF you replace a power - YOU WILL BREAK one or more LINKS (spells/feats/backgrounds/tables). BEWARE. If you change them in your PC sheet - you will break nothing. As so many power/effect are super specialized I did not provide many - but there is going to be an action tab entry for everything relevant in the abilities tab (and if you have the first link display option set on equipped effects you will see the link expanded into text so you don't have to click it). In any case, this was a royal pain that I would not have done had I known the amount of work it involved.

Completed.

[Replaced with this https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47628-SW5e-a-star-wars-home-brew-on-the-5e-rule-set&p=616314&viewfull=1#post616314 ]

similarly
June 12th, 2021, 00:29
This is amazing work!

SilentRuin
June 12th, 2021, 00:52
Already updated, made forcecasting a power with prep daily 4 - this will be where the force points are maintained for me.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47628-SW5e-a-star-wars-home-brew-on-the-5e-rule-set&p=606521&viewfull=1#post606521

pico
June 12th, 2021, 01:21
That is awesome SilentRuin!

Coding for automated FG behaviors is VERY time consuming. But, it's also why no other VTT even holds a candle to FG in my opinion.

Thanks for doing this. I'm barely nearing the end of the nearly 400 spells. This should make everyone who really uses FG combat tracker features very happy.

edit: Oh, very nice, you even link back to my module for some of the equipment and item effects I had already done. This is sweet!

SilentRuin
June 12th, 2021, 03:15
It's a supplemental .mod not a stand alone. Though as I stated earlier - you could easily combine them into one mod. Right now I've only overridden what I had to. And only the classes are left to finish - though if you want to only use berserker and consular class types your good to go :) Though all the old ones are still there - they just don't have any feature power defintions or defining of any text lists into linkable data.

SilentRuin
June 14th, 2021, 01:00
Way behind in my efforts - there is just so much data not there that has to be defined. Doing the engineer unstable table took forever, so did figuring out to fix all the backgrounds to play properly with character wizard as best could be done. Engineer is still only 1/3 of the way done as every new feature seems to explode into a ton of work. I do not update this thread every time I add to this anymore. This is likely my last update you'll have to check the referenced .mod post for updates from now on. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47628-SW5e-a-star-wars-home-brew-on-the-5e-rule-set&p=606521&viewfull=1#post606521)

Likely updating several times a day for the next week.

SilentRuin
June 15th, 2021, 03:29
Backgrounds and tables all fixed.

Tyrannosaurus VeX
June 16th, 2021, 05:53
Starships of the Galaxy major update ... new .mod file and video showing how to use it.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47628-SW5e-a-star-wars-home-brew-on-the-5e-rule-set&p=606115&viewfull=1#post606115

SilentRuin
June 17th, 2021, 23:12
I am done (but will update as I find things in using it - specifically correcting NPCs now - you'll know based on edit date of the post below) with this time consuming horror of a mod I've created... use it as you see fit...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47628-SW5e-a-star-wars-home-brew-on-the-5e-rule-set&p=606521&viewfull=1#post606521

miked2681
June 20th, 2021, 18:11
First off, I want to say thank you to pico, VeX, SilentRuin, and everyone else who have worked on this so far! I've been looking it over the past couple of days and I'm really excited to try it out. I've started converting/inputting some info for an adventure that I'd like to run and I'm curious how any of you who have played with these rules are handling the "reload" property of weapons, specifically for NPC's. I'm not seeing it in the statblocks that I've looked through, so is it best to just ignore that? I kind of like the idea of an NPC having to take an action to reload now and then (although compared to some of the older Star Wars RPG rulesets, the ammo counts on weapons in SW5e seem low) but I don't know if there's a good way to keep track of the ammo on an NPC.

SilentRuin
June 20th, 2021, 19:42
First off, I want to say thank you to pico, VeX, SilentRuin, and everyone else who have worked on this so far! I've been looking it over the past couple of days and I'm really excited to try it out. I've started converting/inputting some info for an adventure that I'd like to run and I'm curious how any of you who have played with these rules are handling the "reload" property of weapons, specifically for NPC's. I'm not seeing it in the statblocks that I've looked through, so is it best to just ignore that? I kind of like the idea of an NPC having to take an action to reload now and then (although compared to some of the older Star Wars RPG rulesets, the ammo counts on weapons in SW5e seem low) but I don't know if there's a good way to keep track of the ammo on an NPC.

Well all I know is I'm still working through NPCs in the SW5e_Extras.mod that I keep updating in earlier post. Had to rename some conflicting names in most recent update - nor do I post as I update them anymore - I just update the one thread. I think I'm up to replacing the NPC B's alphabetically at them moment for things that don't place in CT correctly or have missing/wrong data/syntax.

SilentRuin
June 21st, 2021, 14:56
Still updating corrections to bad text in NPCs, trait/power modifications, etc. Track this post update data to see when its updating - which will be for another week at least.

SilentRuin
June 23rd, 2021, 01:06
NPCs are all done (use SW5e Extras ones as they have the fixes in them to work properly in FGU) - just powers left to review and fill out more.

SilentRuin
June 23rd, 2021, 01:13
Also - found some incredible maps and ship maps that are generic star wars but can be used in most games including this one.

https://thompsonpeters.com/eote/maps/

Jaegar
June 23rd, 2021, 02:30
This is Awesome!
Did I mention this is awesome!

SilentRuin
June 25th, 2021, 23:33
Golly gee... only another 300 powers to weed through left (sigh)

pico
June 25th, 2021, 23:40
SilentRuin, I'm curious what you are doing because I sat with 3 people reviewing the Force and Tech powers for effects and damage options in the combat tracker. I have a couple dozen still to finish, but everything below lvl 6 should be good.

SilentRuin
June 25th, 2021, 23:47
SilentRuin, I'm curious what you are doing because I sat with 3 people reviewing the Force and Tech powers for effects and damage options in the combat tracker. I have a couple dozen still to finish, but everything below lvl 6 should be good.

Let me see....

~100 NPC corrections
~900 feature/trait/class/background/feat/item NPC/PC power definitions
All class definition/links/corrections redone
Most background definition/links/corrections redone

Need I go on? Try attaching my mod - then go to SW5e Extras group for various buttons if your really curious. With equipped effects these things are auto added into sheets and need power definitions. Granted most are just best guesses or start points - but its a ton of work.

Gist being - to be ready for a purely lazy DM it has to be ready for automation and also for non automation (hence all the links).

SilentRuin
June 25th, 2021, 23:59
Let me see....

~100 NPC corrections
~900 feature/trait/class/background/feat/item NPC/PC power definitions
All class definition/links/corrections redone
Most background definition/links/corrections redone

Need I go on? Try attaching my mod - then go to SW5e Extras group for various buttons if your really curious. With equipped effects these things are auto added into sheets and need power definitions. Granted most are just best guesses or start points - but its a ton of work.

Gist being - to be ready for a purely lazy DM it has to be ready for automation and also for non automation (hence all the links).

And I've done 0 spells - I assume you have those in your .mod which I'm a supplement to.

SilentRuin
June 27th, 2021, 00:44
I can safely say I will never volunteer to do this DATA HELL type of project again. I hate data, and its only been completely reaffirmed.

More than 100 hours worth of data entry.
~100 NPC corrections to work in CT actions tab with equipped effects.
~900 powers for features/feats/traits/items for PCs and NPCs to work with equipped effects
All classes, and a lot of backgrounds and feats redone to respect links to powers, NPCs, and items where relevant.
Whatever light sources for items required powers have been added.
Custom effects added to complement (duplicate) power effects where relevant to work with equipped effects.

Keep in mind that the powers and their effects are best guess entries and meant to be used, changed, ignored by players as they see fit - they are not an end all in some cases just a start point.

The campaign I used to create this and the mod it built are both provided here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47628-SW5e-a-star-wars-home-brew-on-the-5e-rule-set&p=606521&viewfull=1#post606521). The SW5e_Extras.mod is designed to work as a supplement (in conjunction with) pico's SW5e.Player.Book-3.0.10.mod (put in modules) and his sw5e-3.0.2.ext (put in extensions) from page 1 of this thread.

While I may entertain updating for obvious bug fixes as I'm about to start my own campaign with all this - I am NOT going to actively support this. Hence providing the campaign file and warnings on how you can screw up the links if not done correctly.

May the force be with you :ogre:

pico
June 27th, 2021, 17:46
SilentRuin, I feel your pain. Add to this the SW5e writer's habit of completely revising their PHB every 6-12 months... it's very difficult to keep up. They need to consider switching to the WotC (and every other serious RPG) of nailing down their basic rules and publishing enhancements as new content rather than rewriting half the PHB every year. It doesn't effect most simple VTT where it's just an indexed document, but kills work on something as intricate and automated as FG.

I've stopped focusing on module work and just started writing software to make dealing with their constant changes... and it's not working well because their areas of change are not predictable.

SilentRuin
June 27th, 2021, 18:33
SilentRuin, I feel your pain. Add to this the SW5e writer's habit of completely revising their PHB every 6-12 months... it's very difficult to keep up. They need to consider switching to the WotC (and every other serious RPG) of nailing down their basic rules and publishing enhancements as new content rather than rewriting half the PHB every year. It doesn't effect most simple VTT where it's just an indexed document, but kills work on something as intricate and automated as FG.

I've stopped focusing on module work and just started writing software to make dealing with their constant changes... and it's not working well because their areas of change are not predictable.

Yeah so happy I was able to use all your work or it would have been impossible. And I don't plan on keeping up with the changes. I just wanted a game platform that would work with the equipped effects automation and then run it for my players. I had to rename some conflicting names in SW5e features/feats/traits/items and NPC/PCs where they used the same name for completely different capabilities - had to make them unique. So this is just a locked in version I don't plan on updating but just using and modifying in my own campaign. First session and already I could not find a police droid so made my own Z-59 one with 1d4 damage and ability to stun if they failed on a save after max damage (4) was done. So really all this is just the basics for building a campaign on. As far as I'm concerned - unless you tell me you update your stuff (in a way that does not require me to update tons of my stuff) - I've frozen these mods in amber and will be using them as is in my campaign (with modifications as I see fit as I go along).

Again - really grateful for the work you did as it allowed me to build on it and save a bunch of time referencing or breaking out text into linkable features. I've corrected things as I've found them so just use the SW5e version if you see more than one in All listings and you'll be fine.

pico
June 27th, 2021, 19:02
For now, I'm concentrating on getting the current SW5e PHB module working as well as I can for the version that was out in Jan. 2021.
They completely rewrote several classes a few months ago, but this is why I give links to the PDFs that this ruleset adheres to.

Unless you have objections, I may incorporate some of your fixes and/or additions (particularly class/racial/background/equipment abilities) which have been on my long list of to-dos.

SilentRuin
June 27th, 2021, 20:00
For now, I'm concentrating on getting the current SW5e PHB module working as well as I can for the version that was out in Jan. 2021.
They completely rewrote several classes a few months ago, but this is why I give links to the PDFs that this ruleset adheres to.

Unless you have objections, I may incorporate some of your fixes and/or additions (particularly class/racial/background/equipment abilities) which have been on my long list of to-dos.

The reason I included the actual campaign I used to build the mod was so that you could include whatever you wanted by having the source local DB versions.

For sure in an ideal world you would incorporate the entire thing into your mod and maintain it all as a cohesive mod in your single mod on page 1. And if it was fully workable with equipped effects I'd dump mine completely and just use yours.

And I need no credit attributed if you do.

SilentRuin
June 29th, 2021, 16:16
I shall be doing ship combat in my own simplified way using NPC ships controlled by players with weapons, shields (temp hit points and recharge per turn), and move/turn type of movement, and probably use kits like slicing and security as separate skills or just use one of the existing skills for resolving them. We played our first campaign last night and had fun - they started in a bar on Denton looking for work and ended up with a dangerous job, half the party arrested by police security droids, and the rest off to a shuttle port to try and rescue the captured members of the party and... well... we'll see what happens ;) GAME ON!!!

Jaegar
June 29th, 2021, 18:39
I shall be doing ship combat in my own simplified way using NPC ships controlled by players with weapons, shields (temp hit points and recharge per turn), and move/turn type of movement, and probably use kits like slicing and security as separate skills or just use one of the existing skills for resolving them. We played our first campaign last night and had fun - they started in a bar on Denton looking for work and ended up with a dangerous job, half the party arrested by police security droids, and the rest off to a shuttle port to try and rescue the captured members of the party and... well... we'll see what happens ;) GAME ON!!!

Those Screenshots look amazing!

SilentRuin
June 29th, 2021, 18:46
Those Screenshots look amazing!

Just scavenging off the internet...

https://wrvh.home.xs4all.nl/galaxymap/

https://thompsonpeters.com/eote/maps/

Basically you can usually find stuff for your personal games just by surfing around - they don't have to be for your specific game/ruleset - just images will do. Just don't try to sell them and make sure they are freely downloadable for personal use. And obviously you have to add your own lighting/LOS and whatever other graphics you want.

SilentRuin
June 29th, 2021, 20:07
Added Specialist Skills into SW5e_Extras.mod (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47628-SW5e-a-star-wars-home-brew-on-the-5e-rule-set&p=606521&viewfull=1#post606521). During my game I found it would be easier to have rolls that were associated with these kits and their proficiencies if they were defined as skills based on ability modifiers (and proficiency). Made my life simpler.

miked2681
July 11th, 2021, 04:22
I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong on my end but I've been adding some NPCs for an adventure I hope to run, and it seems like FG isn't parsing some of the Tech and Force "spells" properly for NPCs.

For example, Acid Dart has a description saying it requires a "ranged tech attack". When adding an NPC with this power into the CT, it doesn't properly parse the attack. Changing this to read "ranged spell attack" will allow it to work correctly.

I know very little about coding extensions, so I don't know if there's a way to force FG to recognize "tech" and "force" like it would "spell", or if the best thing to do would be to just change the wording in the spells so that FG recognizes them. If the later is the case, and if pico and Silentruin agree, I can go ahead and do a little search and replace and then post the edited files here.

pico
July 11th, 2021, 04:31
miked2681,
This sounds like I may have missed some of the way the NPC "spells" are working. I actually get very little specific feedback, and without it I have to stumble into issues while working on updates.

On the force/tech vs. spell, I gave up changing it in the FG code and just started rewording them all as "spell", much like things with the magic property vs. SW5e "enhanced" property. I just gave up and use "magic" to keep things working in FG.

I'll take a look at my spell lists and see which ones still say force/tech attack vs spell.
Thanks

miked2681
July 11th, 2021, 04:35
miked2681,
This sounds like I may have missed some of the way the NPC "spells" are working. I actually get very little specific feedback, and without it I have to stumble into issues while working on updates.

On the force/tech vs. spell, I gave up changing it in the FG code and just started rewording them all as "spell", much like things with the magic property vs. SW5e "enhanced" property. I just gave up and use "magic" to keep things working in FG.

I'll take a look at my spell lists and see which ones still say force/tech attack vs spell.
Thanks

Not a problem. I opened up the modules and did a quick find/replace changing "ranged tech" and "ranged force" to "ranged spell", and the same for melee versions. Just thought I'd bring it to attention.

SilentRuin
July 11th, 2021, 05:03
Not a problem. I opened up the modules and did a quick find/replace changing "ranged tech" and "ranged force" to "ranged spell", and the same for melee versions. Just thought I'd bring it to attention.

I basically followed pico's lead - there are no spells at all in SW5e. The tech powers are manage by techcasting number of prepped items as described in the techcasting description. Same for force powers using forcecasting number of prepped items as described in the forcecasting description. Spell levels are simply assigned to the max values (though that is arbitrary as they are only used to fake FG into allowing them to process). Spell slots radio buttons are never even used/consumed - only techcasting and forcecasting radio buttons are.

Having said that - you can run your games however you wish - or change them to what best suits your game play.

As the mechanics of how they are defined and such are different I don't plan on using them as spells.

pico
July 11th, 2021, 19:30
I found the issue, last year when the SW5e project decided to rename/replace over 250 "spells" I used their website JSON to repopulate my module generator. I did not reword everything I had from my last update.

I try to be as transparent as possible and put anything like this in the reference section of the module. For the purposes of running on the FG 5e rules engine (where many things are hard coded, especially the phrasing standards of Wizards of the Coast) I was going on the assumption that all "spells" will be worded as 5e spells and "enhanced items" will be worded as "magic" so the FG engine will treat them as such.

I'll add this ranged/mele spell attack wording to my to-do for my next update.
Also, with the generosity of SilentRuin, I will likely add all the Effects button items for all these sub-class/equipment/ammo, etc. are easier to work with. (Thanks again SilentRuin)

edited for note: My work is ramping up with several high-priority projects, plus I'm looking at going into a legal nightmare with the builder behind my home who has been flooding my yard for 2 years. So I will work on this as much as time allows.

SilentRuin
July 12th, 2021, 21:11
Updated SW5e_Extras.mod for "Rangers Quarry" powers. More like the 5E type of operation where you set the key word effect on target then have self effect determine if damage is applied based on IFT.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47628-SW5e-a-star-wars-home-brew-on-the-5e-rule-set&p=606521#post606521

SilentRuin
July 13th, 2021, 05:11
Updated SW5e_Extras.mod by providing spell effect fixes (duplicates in SW5e Extras spell group - use mine if you want fix) of Battle Precognition, Holographic Disguise, Affect Mind, and Target Lock.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47628-SW5e-a-star-wars-home-brew-on-the-5e-rule-set&p=606521#post606521

As I play my own sessions and find them I'll add in fixes.

miked2681
July 15th, 2021, 21:10
I noticed that the human ability score increase (the one for the race itself, not for any class) appears to not parse fully.

It currently reads:

One ability score of your choice increases by 2, and two different abilities of your choice increase by 1. Alternatively, four ability scores of your choice each increase by 1.

The choice of the +2 increase works fine, but nothing else. Changing it to read as below will fix it to allow the choice of the two scores with +1 as well (change is in bold):

One ability score of your choice increases by 2, and two different ability scores of your choice increase by 1. Alternatively, four ability scores of your choice each increase by 1.

The alternate method of +1 to four stats still would have to be done manually, of course.

SilentRuin
July 16th, 2021, 04:55
I noticed that the human ability score increase (the one for the race itself, not for any class) appears to not parse fully.

It currently reads:

The choice of the +2 increase works fine, but nothing else. Changing it to read as below will fix it to allow the choice of the two scores with +1 as well (change is in bold):

The alternate method of +1 to four stats still would have to be done manually, of course.

Added Human override in SW5e_Extras for this fix.

I should also note that to replace the original Human race with the SW5e Extras version in an existing character you need to realize dropping it over the old one will duplicate some abilities which you must delete. You also want to hit X on the form that asks you to update the stats so you don't bump them up higher than they should be (you should have already added them in correctly when you originally made the human character).

miked2681
July 16th, 2021, 07:11
Added Human override in SW5e_Extras for this fix.

I should also note that to replace the original Human race with the SW5e Extras version in an existing character you need to realize dropping it over the old one will duplicate some abilities which you must delete. You also want to hit X on the form that asks you to update the stats so you don't bump them up higher than they should be (you should have already added them in correctly when you originally made the human character).

I put in a fix for it in my personal version and had just posted here in case one of you wanted to add it in to the modules. Good to know for anyone else who comes across this though.

miked2681
July 19th, 2021, 17:59
I just wanted to give a heads-up and point out that the IFT: CUSTOM(Rage) effects that are coded should be IF: CUSTOM(Rage) since the Rage effect would be on the PC and not on the target.

SilentRuin
July 19th, 2021, 18:24
I just wanted to give a heads-up and point out that the IFT: CUSTOM(Rage) effects that are coded should be IF: CUSTOM(Rage) since the Rage effect would be on the PC and not on the target.

Fixed SW5e_Extras.mod to correct multiple issues with IFT usage and also fixed Action Surge to initially only be 1 preparation (is not 2 until 17th level).

SilentRuin
July 20th, 2021, 17:55
Updated SW5e_Extras.mod for medpack equipped power - decided having one of each type of Hit dice + constitution to heal was better than nothing. Plus was pain to recover HD if a player actually tried to use one to heal with for this. Targeted heals as they can be used on you or another - you just have to pick the relevant heal that applies to targets Hit dice.

miked2681
July 21st, 2021, 05:42
Updated SW5e_Extras.mod for medpack equipped power - decided having one of each type of Hit dice + constitution to heal was better than nothing. Plus was pain to recover HD if a player actually tried to use one to heal with for this. Targeted heals as they can be used on you or another - you just have to pick the relevant heal that applies to targets Hit dice.

I think it's worth noting that this takes the user's CON bonus, as opposed to the target's. I'm not sure of a better way to do it though, other than maybe having to manually add the target's CON bonus as a modifier before hitting the heal button (or manually adding it after).

SilentRuin
July 21st, 2021, 15:28
I think it's worth noting that this takes the user's CON bonus, as opposed to the target's. I'm not sure of a better way to do it though, other than maybe having to manually add the target's CON bonus as a modifier before hitting the heal button (or manually adding it after).

Why I left it blank to start with. But during play it was evident something was needed and I'm not about the existing rules - I'm about the play and nothing "breaking it". The players reading this and clicking on their Hit Dice (removing one till a long rest) messed things up so that I had to repair it. This avoids it by giving them a template to work from. You have to pick the relative dice of the target and their constitution (if not self) and roll it. Or just have them do it manually with a matching HD and add their CON to it and manually subtract from their wounds. But as most things will be self - this is going to work in almost all the cases.

miked2681
July 21st, 2021, 17:04
I understand and I hope I didn’t come across as criticizing how you had done it, I appreciate the work you’ve put in here.
At the time I was looking it over I thought I’d point it out in case others are following this and run into some confusion. Although now that I’ve thought about it more, it’s certainly not a big deal and easy enough to manage so my post probably wasn’t needed in the first place lol.

SilentRuin
July 21st, 2021, 18:03
I understand and I hope I didn’t come across as criticizing how you had done it, I appreciate the work you’ve put in here.
At the time I was looking it over I thought I’d point it out in case others are following this and run into some confusion. Although now that I’ve thought about it more, it’s certainly not a big deal and easy enough to manage so my post probably wasn’t needed in the first place lol.

Not at all - was just explaining the why and how I do it for my players (will do it from now on anyway).

I mean I made up my own space combat completely due to the needless complexity and non fun of SW5E. I shall include my campaign's notes for my rules and a screen shot of some of the ships. Basically the ships are all NPCs that the players play instead of anything with their PC's. With some extensions I let the players only see the same faction in their CT and only see the NPC ships they are currently playing (own). (note: I've corrected the fighter lasers to show (1/2) instead of (2) to show they have 1 action that fires twice during that one action - as per text at one target. Picture showing NPC sheet is incorrect with (2) showing.)

miked2681
July 21st, 2021, 18:29
Not at all - was just explaining the why and how I do it for my players (will do it from now on anyway).

I mean I made up my own space combat completely due to the needless complexity and non fun of SW5E. I shall include my campaign's notes for my rules and a screen shot of some of the ships. Basically the ships are all NPCs that the players play instead of anything with their PC's. With some extensions I let the players only see the same faction in their CT and only see the NPC ships they are currently playing (own).

Nice, I'll definitely take a look at it. I have yet to start using these rules for a game, just been working on prepping an adventure and trying to fine-tune some of the effects and such for how my brain works lol, while my group finishes up some other adventures we've been running. I'm really excited to try it out though!

SilentRuin
July 21st, 2021, 18:35
Nice, I'll definitely take a look at it. I have yet to start using these rules for a game, just been working on prepping an adventure and trying to fine-tune some of the effects and such for how my brain works lol, while my group finishes up some other adventures we've been running. I'm really excited to try it out though!

Well as you notice - every session I finish I have more corrections to the game data (the way I want it for better playability in FGU) - and we are only on level 2 chars so far. So I expect to find more stuff as time goes by.

SilentRuin
July 22nd, 2021, 00:07
Fixed SW5e_Extras.mod - Rangers Quarry effect was missing "s" at end so would not match - fixed.

SilentRuin
July 26th, 2021, 00:13
Fixed SW5e_Extras.mod - Evidently I've done all the (C) stuff wrong so needed to fix Gleaming Outline, Affect Mind, and Target Lock.

pico
July 27th, 2021, 02:16
SilentRuin, your work is much appreciated.

SilentRuin
July 27th, 2021, 03:49
SilentRuin, your work is much appreciated.

Would not have done it at all but for your work. Between Vex's campaign and mine we are finding bugs in almost every session so I'd not expect things to settle down anytime soon. Players get new powers and we find something to fix or make more handy. And we don't even USE all the potential combinations. So hopefully others who use this stuff will chime in here when they find something off.

pico
July 27th, 2021, 03:58
Yes, by using your Extras module, I can compare yours to how it looks in my work.
Many of these I had no idea weren't working in mine. For instance, the background feat roll table links to nowhere in mine. I had no clue that was happening.

If ANYONE READING this find anything, even minor, please report. I not only don't mind bug reports, I need them.

SilentRuin
July 27th, 2021, 04:37
Yes, by using your Extras module, I can compare yours to how it looks in my work.
Many of these I had no idea weren't working in mine. For instance, the background feat roll table links to nowhere in mine. I had no clue that was happening.

If ANYONE READING this find anything, even minor, please report. I not only don't mind bug reports, I need them.

Just remember if you copy all my stuff into yours BEWARE THE LINKS! I usually have to add powers into a dummy char and then edit the db.xml to correct the original SW5e Extras version by copying the <action data into the real data so that I don't have to redefine the links everywhere. They have to be correct in every list - spell/npc/item/race(other tab and main tab)/background (other tab and main tab)/feats/tables/etc. These are easily broken and mangled.

miked2681
July 31st, 2021, 03:15
Just remember if you copy all my stuff into yours BEWARE THE LINKS! I usually have to add powers into a dummy char and then edit the db.xml to correct the original SW5e Extras version by copying the <action data into the real data so that I don't have to redefine the links everywhere. They have to be correct in every list - spell/npc/item/race(other tab and main tab)/background (other tab and main tab)/feats/tables/etc. These are easily broken and mangled.

I've been a bit curious about the reasoning behind all of the crosslinking that was done. I understand that it makes things simpler in some ways, by having the "spell" handy within an ability for instance, and also that with the way Equipped Effects works it populates a description out of the link. At the same time, it seems it gives that much more opportunity for something to "break" if an ID is changed or whatever. I'm wondering if there's some functionality there that I'm overlooking.

For example, the Criminal Contact feature of the Criminal background. Open the feature and there's the description and a link to the Spell: Criminal Contact. Open that "spell" and it just has a link back to the original feature which is used by Equipped Effects to populate the description there. If I were to remove those links in my campaign and just copy/paste the full description into the "spell", it seems I wouldn't have to worry about broken links anymore but is there anything else that would be broken by doing that?

SilentRuin
July 31st, 2021, 03:33
I've been a bit curious about the reasoning behind all of the crosslinking that was done. I understand that it makes things simpler in some ways, by having the "spell" handy within an ability for instance, and also that with the way Equipped Effects works it populates a description out of the link. At the same time, it seems it gives that much more opportunity for something to "break" if an ID is changed or whatever. I'm wondering if there's some functionality there that I'm overlooking.

For example, the Criminal Contact feature of the Criminal background. Open the feature and there's the description and a link to the Spell: Criminal Contact. Open that "spell" and it just has a link back to the original feature which is used by Equipped Effects to populate the description there. If I were to remove those links in my campaign and just copy/paste the full description into the "spell", it seems I wouldn't have to worry about broken links anymore but is there anything else that would be broken by doing that?

I spent a zillion hours doing all those cross links for people WHO DO NOT use my extension(s).

I had no use for them as I have my extension(s). They serve no purpose if you have equipped effects. Only if you don’t.

Figured I was doing raw FGU users a favor. I don’t need the cross links at all.

miked2681
July 31st, 2021, 03:38
I spent a zillion hours doing all those cross links for people WHO DO NOT use my extension(s).

I had no use for them as I have my extension(s). They serve no purpose if you have equipped effects. Only if you don’t.

Figured I was doing raw FGU users a favor. I don’t need the cross links at all.

Thanks for the response clearing that up for me. I certainly appreciate the work behind it all, I didn't meant to imply that I didn't! I do have your extensions (along with probably too many others) so I don't necessarily need the links either it seems. As much as I don't look forward to the idea of doing all the work to remove them myself, I feel like in the long-term it'd save my headaches with broken links and the like if/when I add or change things.

SilentRuin
July 31st, 2021, 03:42
Thanks for the response clearing that up for me. I certainly appreciate the work behind it all, I didn't meant to imply that I didn't! I do have your extensions (along with probably too many others) so I don't necessarily need the links either it seems. As much as I don't look forward to the idea of doing all the work to remove them myself, I feel like in the long-term it'd save my headaches with broken links and the like if/when I add or change things.

For sure - I handed out the project that built the .mod so people could do whatever they wanted with it. People without extensions have to go look up the spells and manually drag the links for each one themselves - which is why I provided them so they did not have to go look up the matching name under spells themselves. But if you have the extensions they serve no purpose. Especially as you have to drag a spell into a dummy character to see what it even has defined anyway.

SilentRuin
July 31st, 2021, 03:44
In fact, I made a joke video (https://youtu.be/7zqdu8MaBNM) using this stuff to make fun of one of my own extensions - shows parts of my live SW5E campaign I'm running now in fact!

SilentRuin
August 3rd, 2021, 05:20
Well our game today discovered multiple issues with the base page 1 .mod data mostly in spells some in bonus proficiency engineer text. Effects that have the (C) concentration effect defined have to have a ; in front of it at the very least. Will have to fix all these and some other spells etc. that I had not really looked at before. Characters just hit level 3 and found several of them so figure there are more. Will post when I have fixes.

[too many to fix in one sitting - every single concentration spell effect is wrong - have "(C)" instead of "; (C)" or "; (C);" - will take a while to do all of them]

Niles
August 3rd, 2021, 14:22
I love the new Forge in the FG store! I just downloaded the Star Wars player's handbook. Does anyone know if any of the other books on SW5e will be converted to modules?

SilentRuin
August 3rd, 2021, 14:46
I love the new Forge in the FG store! I just downloaded the Star Wars player's handbook. Does anyone know if any of the other books on SW5e will be converted to modules?

Have to ask Pico. I have my own fixes/extras .mod on top of his and I'm currently fixing a whole raft of spells for my own game. When done I post it to my original post in here. Some things you should know are SW5e changes their manuals very frequently - pico has stated he's not trying to keep up with it and my fixes .mod are based on the original .mod I pulled from page 1 when I originally started. I have no intention of trying to keep up with the sites constant changes and made up my own space combat to simplify things.

Gist is - Forge is only going to have pico's stuff. He has my full permission to use whatever I do in his stuff - but I'm doing this for my current campaign and don't plan on changing from my frozen state of his original .ext/.mod that I pulled and my extras .mod on top of that.

pico
August 3rd, 2021, 15:36
@SilentRuin. I'll add fixing the (C) issue as a high priority.
@Niles. There is no way I can keep up with the main SW5e project's pace of change. After they changed almost every spell last year (easily over 200 spells changed) , I stopped trying. I can imagine if Wizards changed the PHB every few months to this extent, we wouldn't see any systems like FG even trying to automate anything and just stick their PDF in their game and say "good luck".

You can download a copy of the SW5e PDF that I am using as a source in my top posts. That's the best I can do.
I have most of the "monster manual" in this mod. But, I am not even sure how I would implement the space combat/starships and faction play stuff they have out. I can't remember the name of those PDFs.
I certainly have absolutely no intention of ever implementing any of the extended content. It would be like trying to catch a slime monster with tweezers.

SilentRuin
August 3rd, 2021, 16:12
@SilentRuin. I'll add fixing the (C) issue as a high priority.
@Niles. There is no way I can keep up with the main SW5e project's pace of change. After they changed almost every spell last year (easily over 200 spells changed) , I stopped trying. I can imagine if Wizards changed the PHB every few months to this extent, we wouldn't see any systems like FG even trying to automate anything and just stick their PDF in their game and say "good luck".

You can download a copy of the SW5e PDF that I am using as a source in my top posts. That's the best I can do.
I have most of the "monster manual" in this mod. But, I am not even sure how I would implement the space combat/starships and faction play stuff they have out. I can't remember the name of those PDFs.
I certainly have absolutely no intention of ever implementing any of the extended content. It would be like trying to catch a slime monster with tweezers.

No worries - I have a live game to manage and I just keep sharing things I've modified over your original version - I'm not waiting for anything so you do what you wish. If you ever do incorporate all my fixes/extras just let me know and I'll check it out.

This latest update in SW5e_Extras.mod has a TON of spell override fixes added, some engineering bonus proficiency fixes, and whatever else I found. In general most were fixes to incorrect concentration effect definitions - but also corrected garbage text, incorrect functionality, and other things I noticed in spells as I corrected the concentration effects. By no means does this mean I VERIFIED any of these - I've only verified fixes up to my games level 3 characters which means I've not verified a lot by any standard.

Per usual if you use my .mod on top of pico's .mod then you should (and your players) only access SW5e_Extras group spells when their is more than one definition in your spell list. And you should NOT use feats of the same name as a spell which I tried to put into a duplicate directory so you know not to grab those. Sometimes there are 3 versions of a spell though because the original spell had a correction and their was feat/trait named exactly the same as the spell (differentiated by feats always being level 0 - you have to rename one of them if you have a cantrip and a feat/trait with the same name which I have done). Sounds confusing? Maybe. Gist is you only have to worry about picking SW5E_extras when there is more than one name of something. Turns out deleting any conflicts in host is no good as players will never see those modifications. Only long term solution is probably to blend the two .mods into one mod. Not going to take on that anytime soon - for now they can just make they pick the corrected item/spell/class/feat/etc.

Updated in https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47628-SW5e-a-star-wars-home-brew-on-the-5e-rule-set&p=606521&viewfull=1#post606521

miked2681
August 3rd, 2021, 21:27
I'm probably a masochist or something for putting myself through the work instead of just using the perfectly fine modules available, but I'm currently in the process of combining the work that pico and SilentRuin have done here into a Player's Handbook module. I'll then break off the "monsters" into a separate Scum & Villiany module and likely add any that may have been skipped. After that I may see about working on the Wretched Hives or Starships books as separate modules as well.

Do note though that the work I'm doing is all based on the way I like to play. Meaning that the coding will be done to take advantage of certain extensions (Equipped Effects, Better Combat Effects, Ongoing Save Effects, and others) that I use and this will make my version of the modules not quite as open-ended or user-friendly for those who may not want to use the same extensions. Having said all of that, I'll gladly share the modules here when I'm done if any are interested in using them as a framework or whatever else.

Niles
August 3rd, 2021, 22:44
I'm probably a masochist or something for putting myself through the work instead of just using the perfectly fine modules available, but I'm currently in the process of combining the work that pico and SilentRuin have done here into a Player's Handbook module. I'll then break off the "monsters" into a separate Scum & Villiany module and likely add any that may have been skipped. After that I may see about working on the Wretched Hives or Starships books as separate modules as well.

Do note though that the work I'm doing is all based on the way I like to play. Meaning that the coding will be done to take advantage of certain extensions (Equipped Effects, Better Combat Effects, Ongoing Save Effects, and others) that I use and this will make my version of the modules not quite as open-ended or user-friendly for those who may not want to use the same extensions. Having said all of that, I'll gladly share the modules here when I'm done if any are interested in using them as a framework or whatever else.

Heck yeah, miked. I'd be glad to have those when you convert them. Thank you for the time spent making them!

miked2681
August 3rd, 2021, 22:49
Heck yeah, miked. I'd be glad to have those when you convert them. Thank you for the time spent making them!

The real credit goes to pico and SilentRuin. Without the framework that they made, which I am able to copy and modify slightly to my own ends, I doubt I'd ever have begun to convert any of this on my own. Besides, I still have to get through this first module without burning myself out or I won't have anything to share lol.

SilentRuin
August 3rd, 2021, 22:51
The real credit goes to pico and SilentRuin. Without the framework that they made, which I am able to copy and modify slightly to my own ends, I doubt I'd ever have begun to convert any of this on my own. Besides, I still have to get through this first module without burning myself out or I won't have anything to share lol.

Credit goes to pico - he made this stuff - like you I just added on as I needed to. Never would have attempted it from scratch - no way no how. Pico is the hero of the story.

miked2681
August 4th, 2021, 09:54
While working on my module I came across an apparent oversight in the SW5e extension. The extension still uses the base 5e classes in the power and DC cyclers (for example, when adding a heal effect to a power, you click on the Stat box and it cycles through the attributes and then the classes) instead of the SW5e classes. I know very little about extension coding so it took me longer to wrap my head around things than I'd like to admit but I think I've finally got it fixed. Now when clicking on the box it'll cycle through the SW5e classes and properly add the bonus based on the class levels.

I used the following abbreviations but if any have better ideas for them, they can certainly be changed.
Berserker = Brs
Consular = Csl
Engineer = Eng
Fighter = Ftr
Guardian = Grd
Monk = Mnk
Operative = Opr
Scholar = Sch
Scout = Sct
Sentinel = Snt

I did test each class, adding levels and seeing the bonus change so hopefully it'll all work correctly but I really muddled my way through it so someone with more knowledge may want to double-check.

SilentRuin
August 4th, 2021, 15:03
While working on my module I came across an apparent oversight in the SW5e extension. The extension still uses the base 5e classes in the power and DC cyclers (for example, when adding a heal effect to a power, you click on the Stat box and it cycles through the attributes and then the classes) instead of the SW5e classes. I know very little about extension coding so it took me longer to wrap my head around things than I'd like to admit but I think I've finally got it fixed. Now when clicking on the box it'll cycle through the SW5e classes and properly add the bonus based on the class levels.

I used the following abbreviations but if any have better ideas for them, they can certainly be changed.
Berserker = Brs
Consular = Csl
Engineer = Eng
Fighter = Ftr
Guardian = Grd
Monk = Mnk
Operative = Opr
Scholar = Sch
Scout = Sct
Sentinel = Snt

I did test each class, adding levels and seeing the bonus change so hopefully it'll all work correctly but I really muddled my way through it so someone with more knowledge may want to double-check.

I've taken this to replace the other one on total... blind... faith. When I play my LIVE game Monday it will be on your head should it go badly!!! ;)

miked2681
August 4th, 2021, 18:16
I've taken this to replace the other one on total... blind... faith. When I play my LIVE game Monday it will be on your head should it go badly!!! ;)

Remember, EXTENSIONS = RISK! ;)
Although this one may possibly have a higher risk quotient then normal lol.

Joking aside, I did test that every class correctly gave their level as a bonus when added on a test heal effect, and I don't -think- it'll cause any problems elsewhere but I honestly don't know for sure. All of the currently coded spells/features/etc. are likely coded based on total level rather than class level (since the SW5e classes wouldn't show in the selection box previously) so the only way anyone would really know would be to change some of those codings. I wanted to try and fix it though in case of multiclassing and features like Second Wind that are meant to use the class level instead of total level.

Anyway, it was a bit of a learning experience for me and I hope it works well for your game, if nobody else comes along to review my fix before then!

miked2681
August 4th, 2021, 20:39
I edited the above post and reuploaded the extension because I made comments on the things I added. Just in case it needs to be said, pico (or anyone else) is free to use what I added to update the extension for his github and in the main post.

SilentRuin
August 6th, 2021, 18:39
Fixed SW5E_Extras.mod to remove all quotes from skill names as NPC's cannot use anything with a quote in their name - ex. "Mechanic's Kit" is an item and a skill - the skill has now been changed to "Mechanics Kit" so that it can be used in NPC sheets.

SilentRuin
August 10th, 2021, 05:08
I am still modifying my starship combat - I have my rules as a story and several example ships. I plan to update this as I go along - and get some of the scanner custom effects put it in when I figure out how to add custom effects individually to a .mod file. Basically space combat I made up for use with my extensions. My players have fought two space battles with it so far so it continues to be refined I will update it like the other one as I go along.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47628-SW5e-a-star-wars-home-brew-on-the-5e-rule-set&p=612240&viewfull=1#post612240

miked2681
August 12th, 2021, 04:59
Does anyone following this have an idea if it would be possible with an extension to basically split spellcasting into two separate functions, one being for Force and one for Tech. There's a few parts to my thinking here: One being the parsing of forcecasting and techcasting for both PC and NPC. The second being the use of FG's magic resistance coding.

For the first point, when importing an NPC statblock, any references to forcecasting and techcasting have to be changed to spellcasting otherwise FG won't understand it. This is fine, and not a difficult change to make, but having an extension that more fully supports the rules couldn't hurt.

The second point is really what drew me down the rabbit hole of trying to see if this could be "fixed". Using one of the Consular archetype's ability of Force Resistance as an example, it says "Starting at 18th level, you have advantage on saving throws against force powers. Additionally, you have resistance against the damage of force powers." In FG's base 5e ruleset this is done easily enough by giving the character a magic resistance ability and then saves against any spells that have the little 'Magic?' box checked will automatically be rolled with advantage. This would work with SW5e also, except you have to consider techcasting and how it also has abilities that grant advantage against tech powers. There's no way to differentiate because they both just use the default spellcasting, and there's no separate checkbox for two types of "magic".

I've been banging my head against this last night and most of the day today. I've been looking through the coding in the 5e ruleset and in some of the FG documentation here online but I just don't understand the coding well enough to get what would need to be done or how an extension could tie into those functions. So here I am, asking if anyone might be able to tell me if this is even possible, and where I might start researching how to do it.

damned
August 12th, 2021, 06:13
In terms of the checkbox just create 2 checkboxes.
One for tech and one for force.

In terms of two separate functions you could do that but I think it would be better to check the checkbox on one list

In terms of unravelling code - start with something you do know that is fairly specific like "resistance" and do a Find In Files on the 5E ruleset.
You might first find a string, the search the variable associated with that string, then search the functions and templates that use that variable etc.

miked2681
August 12th, 2021, 06:27
In terms of the checkbox just create 2 checkboxes.
One for tech and one for force.

In terms of two separate functions you could do that but I think it would be better to check the checkbox on one list

In terms of unravelling code - start with something you do know that is fairly specific like "resistance" and do a Find In Files on the 5E ruleset.
You might first find a string, the search the variable associated with that string, then search the functions and templates that use that variable etc.

It's possible I'm just dense but I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around this. I get the part about having one checkbox for Force and one for Tech, but I'm not understanding how I'd then tie that in with the magic resistance coding to allow it to tell between them so that I could code Force Resistance to work with any spell with the Force checkbox and Tech Resistance to work with any spell with the Tech checkbox, and not work on the opposite ones. Would it be a case of instead of making two spellcasting functions, I'd just duplicate (and rename) the magic resistance function instead?

SilentRuin
August 12th, 2021, 15:33
I plan on just plodding along with what i have - forcecasting and techcasting powers each have preparations and that is where the points are defined and checked off after use and recovered after rest - spell slots are just not used in my SW5e at all. Though they have to have minimum values so that FGU shows your leveled powers/spells/whatever. Resistances are purely what is currently defined for types of damages in my world and defined via effects. The rest you just wing it.

miked2681
August 12th, 2021, 17:53
I plan on just plodding along with what i have - forcecasting and techcasting powers each have preparations and that is where the points are defined and checked off after use and recovered after rest - spell slots are just not used in my SW5e at all. Though they have to have minimum values so that FGU shows your leveled powers/spells/whatever. Resistances are purely what is currently defined for types of damages in my world and defined via effects. The rest you just wing it.

That’s certainly fair, and likely what I will go with also, at least to begin. It’s just a situation where my brain gets stuck on something and then I fall down a rabbit hole of trying to figure it out.

SilentRuin
August 12th, 2021, 18:53
Can't believe a Hutt was not in the NPCs - added in SW5e_Extras.mod.

damned
August 13th, 2021, 01:42
It's possible I'm just dense but I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around this. I get the part about having one checkbox for Force and one for Tech, but I'm not understanding how I'd then tie that in with the magic resistance coding to allow it to tell between them so that I could code Force Resistance to work with any spell with the Force checkbox and Tech Resistance to work with any spell with the Tech checkbox, and not work on the opposite ones. Would it be a case of instead of making two spellcasting functions, I'd just duplicate (and rename) the magic resistance function instead?

There is a thousand ways to do something in code.
Go with what makes sense to you.

pico
August 14th, 2021, 15:32
Soon I will be changing my distribution to the Fantasy Grounds Forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/). I will put links in the first post of this thread.
I will not use "Vault" distribution, so the extension and module will be visible to users who might want to modify it or expand upon it.

I will release new work via the TEST channel so you can preview the changes. Then after a feedback period and any bug fixing, that release will be moved to the main channel for everyone.

I will also be replacing the version number (currently 3.10) with a build date.

The following are planned for the next release:

Fix NPCs missing attack rolls in Combat Tracker (the tech attack/force attack issue).
Fix spell effects Concentration notation to work properly in Combat Tracker.
Add spell effects coding for remaining spells on my list.
Fix background feat roll table linking issue.
Add effects from SilentRuin's module to main module.
Adjustments to Autonomous Servant spell text and NPC entry.

(SilentRuin, I am going to try to add some of your content into the main module. Things not requiring other extensions. I know you said it is ok, but wanted to get feedback on it if you have any)

Please, let me know if I have missed anything critical that should be added to this list. I will see if I can work it into my schedule.
Thanks

SilentRuin
August 14th, 2021, 16:21
Soon I will be changing my distribution to the Fantasy Grounds Forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/). I will put links in the first post of this thread.
I will not use "Vault" distribution, so the extension and module will be visible to users who might want to modify it or expand upon it.

I will release new work via the TEST channel so you can preview the changes. Then after a feedback period and any bug fixing, that release will be moved to the main channel for everyone.

I will also be replacing the version number (currently 3.10) with a build date.

The following are planned for the next release:

Fix NPCs missing attack rolls in Combat Tracker (the tech attack/force attack issue).
Add spell effects coding for remaining spells on my list.
Fix background feat roll table linking issue.

(SilentRuin, I am going to try to add some of your content into the main module. Things not requiring other extensions. I know you said it is ok, but wanted to get feedback on it if you have any)

Please, let me know if I have missed anything critical that should be added to this list. I will see if I can work it into my schedule.
Thanks

As I said you have full permission to take everything I've done - no credit required - just take it and use it.

pico
August 14th, 2021, 16:40
Force/Tech powers, and "magic" items (called enhanced) in SW5e are problematic when using the 5e ruleset of FG.

The basics of a magic item/damage vs. a non-magic item/damage is very deep in the ruleset code. I gave up on changing it.
So, I am reviewing how to implement "magic" back into the SW5e text to make it work properly in FG.

I did not know that there was resistance/immunity/vulnerability to not only force vs tech spells (which can be differentiated by school), but resistance/immunity/vulnerability between light/dark/universal force powers.

If I were changing this, I could see these being separate schools. But, that is also problematic if there is some instance of general force/tech resistance/immunity/vulnerability. Each school would need to be listed in the resistance/immunity/vulnerability list.

Point me to some of these resistance/immunity/vulnerability examples please.

SilentRuin
August 14th, 2021, 16:56
Force/Tech powers, and "magic" items (called enhanced) in SW5e are problematic when using the 5e ruleset of FG.

The basics of a magic item/damage vs. a non-magic item/damage is very deep in the ruleset code. I gave up on changing it.
So, I am reviewing how to implement "magic" back into the SW5e text to make it work properly in FG.

I did not know that there was resistance/immunity/vulnerability to not only force vs tech spells (which can be differentiated by school), but resistance/immunity/vulnerability between light/dark/universal force powers.

If I were changing this, I could see these being separate schools. But, that is also problematic if there is some instance of general force/tech resistance/immunity/vulnerability. Each school would need to be listed in the resistance/immunity/vulnerability list.

If you look in mine you'll see we use forcecasting and techcasting to set preparations for points to check off - spell slots are marked with min value just so 5E lets the levels work - and we ignore all spell slots on action tab completely - only the casting entries are used to track points. All in linked text for those.

pico
August 14th, 2021, 17:06
I used to have a link to a good post on implementing spell-points in 5e on FG... it seems to have gone missing. But, spell points is an officially accepted 5e rule in the DMG. So, there's nothing non-5e about that part of SW5e.

I was speaking to the use of "enhance" in SW5e vs "magic" in the 5e ruleset to determine damage. Particularly "magic" items/abilities used in the combat tracker.

But, I'm particularly interested in the post that says some resistance/immunity/vulnerability based on the light/dark-ness of force use. Not just force vs. tech spells. I can't find the reference to this in the PHB. I must not be looking at the correct section.

SilentRuin
August 14th, 2021, 17:14
I used to have a link to a good post on implementing spell-points in 5e on FG... it seems to have gone missing. But, spell points is an officially accepted 5e rule in the DMG. So, there's nothing non-5e about that part of SW5e.

I was speaking to the use of "enhance" in SW5e vs "magic" in the 5e ruleset to determine damage. Particularly "magic" items/abilities used in the combat tracker.

But, I'm particularly interested in the post that says some resistance/immunity/vulnerability based on the light/dark-ness of force use. Not just force vs. tech spells. I can't find the reference to this in the PHB. I must not be looking at the correct section.

Well you're on your own there - my players are already used to playing and working with what we have - plus the made up space combat as we do both space battles and ship boarding at the same time now. I have my copies of stuff so you can take/do what you like with them - use or not use as you see fit. We are in game and going with what we have. Though I'm sure I'll be adding more fixes as they level.

pico
August 14th, 2021, 17:25
SilentRuin,
I'm curios about the races you changed. I only notice one change which is their racial attack. The wording/description didn't change, just the label(name). Is this for something with your extensions or some other reason?

SilentRuin
August 14th, 2021, 17:27
SilentRuin,
I'm curios about the races you changed. I only notice one change which is their racial attack. The wording/description didn't change, just the label(name). Is this for something with your extensions or some other reason?

Links/unique names stuff like that if I recall. And yes, you can't name everything the same with different functionality under it. Though spells/feats can be the same name and different as level of 0 is assumed to be feat - but you have to have unique name if feat vs feat or spell vs spell or trait vs trait or feat vs cantrip where they have different definitions.

miked2681
August 14th, 2021, 19:24

My thinking for the enhanced items is simply to use the 'magic' tag like in base 5e. I could be missing something but it seems to me that should work fine.

As for the issue with resistances and force/tech "spells", I haven't gotten through every ability yet (I'm somewhere around 1/3) but I don't recall seeing any instances of resistance/advantage/whatever versus specifically light/dark/universal. The issue that I had brought up was for something like Force Resistance (Consular, Way of Balance ability at 18th level) and trying to figure a way to get that automated using the base 5e Magic Resistance. If there's a similar ability that gives resistance to all Tech powers, there'd be no way to differentiate between the two because there's just the single 'Magic?' checkbox in the cast dialog. Since then, I've decided to stop stressing over trying to make sure everything is as automated as can be and just figure that myself and my players will have to take a little more time and do things manually (simply clicking the ADV button before rolling a save, for instance).

pico
August 14th, 2021, 19:36
Yes, there are several references to resistance to either "tech" or "force" powers. And, at that level we can use the school of "magic".
I thought I had seen a post about making an effect condition to give resistance to a certain school of magic... but, I can't seem to find it at this moment.

I could be mistaken, but I thought in 5e there are examples of this, for instance some undead are resistant or immune to necromancy spell damage.

The same should work for ADVSAVE on a certain school for the same reason. Now, I just need to find this. If a school based effect is not possible, this could be tricky to implement.

SilentRuin
August 14th, 2021, 19:38
Yes, there are several references to resistance to either "tech" or "force" powers. And, at that level we can use the school of "magic".
I thought I had seen a post about making an effect condition to give resistance to a certain school of magic... but, I can't seem to find it at this moment.

I could be mistaken, but I thought in 5e there are examples of this, for instance some undead are resistant or immune to necromancy spell damage.

The same should work for ADVSAVE on a certain school for the same reason. Now, I just need to find this. If a school based effect is not possible, this could be tricky to implement.

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996642031/5E+Effects+for+Advanced+Automation

That is the only effects doc I'm aware of - keep in mind some things are ambiguous and while I might give a head start entry in the power/effect they would really have to edit/create it themselves or they would have to remember as in a normal tabletop game to apply the special situation. Not all things can/should be automated. Just the non ambiguous things.

pico
August 14th, 2021, 19:40
This one too
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

SilentRuin
August 14th, 2021, 19:41
This one too
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

No. Remove that link as its the old one that is no longer used. Classic is dead. Long live Unity.

miked2681
August 14th, 2021, 20:31
I'm trying to keep it in my head that, as SilentRuin said, not everything needs to be automated. I played D&D for a lot of years before VTT's ever came along and had a great time doing it. Having to remember to apply things manually and figure it out as we go along isn't going to kill me or my players. Stressing about how I can code every last thing for the utmost in automation...that might lol.

pico
August 16th, 2021, 20:03
RELEASE v3.11 notes:

New build available in the "Test" channel. I have done some testing of basic functionality. But, PLEASE, let me know if you find anything!

In particular. I am 99% sure I fixed 90% of the concentration (C) issues in the combat tracker...

Known issues in above:
- Missing link from Autonomous Servant spell to NPC entry.

Any updates for this release will be in this post. A link will be provided in the 2nd post of this thread (release notes).

(Edited to reflect the correct sw5e Classic version)

SilentRuin
August 16th, 2021, 20:30
What about all the NPC fixes/crosslinks with classes main and other page/fixes to feats etc.? Just curious if you implemented all the fixes I required or just the ones you wanted.

pico
August 16th, 2021, 21:02
The feats references/table links that I know about are in the task list of known issues (https://github.com/BeeGrinder/FantasyGrounds-SW5e/issues) to be worked. Its a long story, but the "not normal 5e" background trait rolls found in SW5e is causing a problem with links in Par5e... yet another reason I'm moving more and more off of that parser. But, it's not done yet.

One of the problems I have found when comparing the Extras module to mine is that it is not always obvious why you duplicated something.
I assume it was to fix something.
But, some of the them just don't jump out at me. And, I don't know if it was to accommodate something, not necessarily broken.

The only NPC issue I could find was that the tech/force attack rolls were not showing in the combat tracker. This is addressed in this release.
For each class I tried to make one of each and as I level it check the items in the Abilities tab and make sure any links work. So far, all have been working.

The next release is not final... this is only a release candidate. So, if you would like me to focus on adding something, let me know. But, please, give examples because "NPC fixes" makes me think I already did that.

Please have patience with me on this. I have only played a hand full of level 1-2 one-shots with my groups. So, I don't get yelled at by my players when things don't work... I need you to do that :)

SilentRuin
August 16th, 2021, 22:01
The feats references/table links that I know about are in the task list of known issues (https://github.com/BeeGrinder/FantasyGrounds-SW5e/issues) to be worked. Its a long story, but the "not normal 5e" background trait rolls found in SW5e is causing a problem with links in Par5e... yet another reason I'm moving more and more off of that parser. But, it's not done yet.

One of the problems I have found when comparing the Extras module to mine is that it is not always obvious why you duplicated something.
I assume it was to fix something.
But, some of the them just don't jump out at me. And, I don't know if it was to accommodate something, not necessarily broken.

The only NPC issue I could find was that the tech/force attack rolls were not showing in the combat tracker. This is addressed in this release.
For each class I tried to make one of each and as I level it check the items in the Abilities tab and make sure any links work. So far, all have been working.

The next release is not final... this is only a release candidate. So, if you would like me to focus on adding something, let me know. But, please, give examples because "NPC fixes" makes me think I already did that.

Please have patience with me on this. I have only played a hand full of level 1-2 one-shots with my groups. So, I don't get yelled at by my players when things don't work... I need you to do that :)

Most things were naming issues with NPCs - as in they shared names with other things - which for name matching - obviously - they could not. I really can't remember all of them as I fixed them as I encountered them. Same for feats - and of course anything that changed had to have things updated in classes main page and other pages so the links would be correct or data defined in there was correct. Likely this forum has the reasons as I did them.

pico
August 16th, 2021, 22:35
Ok, I think this would be things like the Wookie "Claw" or Ugnaught "Bite".

I have not implemented much on race, class, item etc. "spells" for use in the character sheets.
When I do, I will be grouping them so the spell search on "Source" will group them by
- "Class" - "Operative: Sneak Attack", etc.
- "Species" - "Wookie: Claw", "Ugnaught: Bite", etc.
"Feat", "Background", "Equipment" would be some of the other "Source" entries.
The current list in "Source" is getting too long to just ask players to look something up there. And, sadly, it doesn't seem to change based on if you are looking at a specific book/module. I wonder if this is a FG bug.

SilentRuin
August 17th, 2021, 04:08
Ok, I think this would be things like the Wookie "Claw" or Ugnaught "Bite".

I have not implemented much on race, class, item etc. "spells" for use in the character sheets.
When I do, I will be grouping them so the spell search on "Source" will group them by
- "Class" - "Operative: Sneak Attack", etc.
- "Species" - "Wookie: Claw", "Ugnaught: Bite", etc.
"Feat", "Background", "Equipment" would be some of the other "Source" entries.
The current list in "Source" is getting too long to just ask players to look something up there. And, sadly, it doesn't seem to change based on if you are looking at a specific book/module. I wonder if this is a FG bug.

The changes I made work with equipped effects - so as long as the "name" is uniquely matched to its power and/or effect it will work. If not it won't. And Class links/definitions in main/other pages are used by classwizard to do things - as class is only valid way to see what is valid to define for certain levels. There were fixes in those also for things that were not properly defined to work with leveling up (repeated data was just outright wrong and not uniquely named. There was literally no fix I put in the extras that was not "required" for my characters to play. I'm sure there will be more as they level up.

SilentRuin
August 20th, 2021, 06:26
Warning: Largely untested - but I will no longer be updating my old SW5e_Extras or starships modules. At some point I will delete those older post attachments when I feel this new stuff is working to my satisfaction. If pico adopts it all I'll dump all attachments of mine . For now - this is what I plan to run with.

This new SW5e.mod is a blend of pico's original mod and my SW5e_Extras.mod. Unfortunately, pico's was created with a tool that created named references while mine was created by /export in an FGU campaign. This means some of the links won't be recoverable and will have to be replaced in any existing campaigns using the old stuff. Also, it turns out there is no way to create skills that are used by FGU create character software in a mod generated by FGU. This means I had to create another mod that MUST ALWAYS be used with the new blended SW5e.mod, called SW5e_skills.mod. And as usual you also need the SW5e.ext to run all this stuff correctly. So, if starting a new campaign from scratch you will need the following:

SW5e.ext - put in your FGU extensions directory and select "SW5e" extension when you load your campaign. (pico and miked2681 blend)

SW5e_skills.mod AND SW5e.mod - put in your FGU modules directory and MUST BOTH be loaded as modules in your campaign with the share with players button (green check mark) set on them both. (pico and SilentRuin blend)

If you use my made-up spaceship combat which my players have run and had fun with you can also load...

SRs_SW5e_Starships.mod - put in your FGU modules directory and load as module in your campaign with the share with players button (green check mark) set. A Story has directions. Has just the ships I've created to date for my own campaign. (SilentRuin)

If you had an existing campaign under the old stuff you will be better off just recreating it from scratch up to the point your current session is at (yes as in create a new campaign and start making stuff for it again).

If you are really crazy you can attempt to muddle through and correct all the links. I successfully ported mine as it appears only the following was required...

Edit campaign's db.xml file. Replace All "SW5e Player Book" with "SW5e" and Replace All "SW5e Extras" with "SW5e".

I then edited the modulestate.xml to replace the previous two old SW5e things before I came up with...

<module name="SW5e_skills">
<loaded />
<allow />
</module>
<module name="SW5e">
<loaded />
<allow />
</module>

But you can do that when you come up in the campaign (remove old modules - add new ones with player access).

Then recreate all your character sheets from scratch - I did this while having both old sheet and new sheet up at same time - I also took a risk copying inventory links but NO OTHER LINKS - as item links still seem to be the same (at least for me - was risk). I then had to replace some of the tokens (look up reference. of each and then find that id- number in mod and replace them - painful way I did it) in NPCs, encounters, etc. that I had copied from the previous mods. This worked for porting my campaign.

If you don't do this - then you will be in for a world of hurt trying to replace links - for example, I came up in the campaign and started clicking on things to find the bad links at one point. This immediately resulted in bogus new entries creating in background and anywhere else there was a bad link (I had to delete the bogus entries created by clicking on the corrupted links). Dropping over valid links to replace these things can of course trigger leveling logic in the char sheet main page and that is a whole other level of fun to undo.

Easier to just recreate the character sheets as that is where most of the bad links are located. The point is you have to have a valid recordname and that means with the new stuff it must be id based - and the beauty of id's is they can change if the record is ever deleted and recreated (like if you were were using two .mod files that did two different referencing mechanisms plus the id's changed in the new one - which an existing campaign would have been doing). Search for "reference." to see if you have any bad non id references if your not going to replace your chars from scratch.

But if creating a new campaign - your ready to go.

The SW5e campaign files could not fit (nor could SRs_SW5e_Starships campaign files but just going to leave that out) so they are in the following post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47628-SW5e-a-star-wars-home-brew-on-the-5e-rule-set&p=616315&viewfull=1#post616315). The zip for the starships is not included as it would not fit here any longer - and its short enough you can just copy it from mod to local if you need your own.

Has been designed to work by itself but data is configured to be used with Equipped Effects, Aura, and BCEG extensions if you use them (I use these and all the ones in my signature).

SilentRuin
August 20th, 2021, 06:47
Removed the backup of db.xml and just barely fit it in - this is the campaign I used to create SW5e.mod in the above post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47628-SW5e-a-star-wars-home-brew-on-the-5e-rule-set&p=616314#post616314).

pico
August 20th, 2021, 14:59
Thanks for all the hard work SilentRuin!!!

I will be adopting this as the official source of the Fantasy Grounds SW5e based module over the next few weeks.

I will rename my current SW5e projects as "Classic" versions. So, anyone using it can still get it.
I will be making only bug fixes to the "Classic" versions. (I have one update nearly ready to go)
Eventually, I will retire the "Classic" version and no longer work on it.
I will work on getting this new version into the Forge for easy distribution.
The new version will be maintained to work properly with SilentRuin's extensions.

SilentRuin
August 20th, 2021, 15:32
Thanks for all the hard work SilentRuin!!!

I will be adopting this as the official source of the Fantasy Grounds SW5e based module over the next few weeks.

I will rename my current SW5e projects as "Classic" versions. So, anyone using it can still get it.
I will be making only bug fixes to the "Classic" versions. (I have one update nearly ready to go)
Eventually, I will retire the "Classic" version and no longer work on it.
I will work on getting this new version into the Forge for easy distribution.
The new version will be maintained to work properly with SilentRuin's extensions.

And without my extensions. Once you incorporate you can just add things in the SW5e campaign and /export (select all) to get a new SW5e.mod with the updates. You only ever need to change the hardcoded SW5e.ext and paired SW5e_skills.mod if you change what you want as the default FGU char created skills. SW5e.mod only has skills that are optional (tools mostly).

SilentRuin
August 20th, 2021, 18:01
Edited my earlier post as I sucessfully ported my campaign using the steps I stated here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47628-SW5e-a-star-wars-home-brew-on-the-5e-rule-set&p=616314&viewfull=1#post616314).

pico
August 20th, 2021, 22:18
Finally finished a FG Mod full of Star Wars tokens. Link in the first post of this thread.

Permission to publish from creator u/Kualan on reddit.

SilentRuin
August 20th, 2021, 23:48
You will need to add weapon property powers for burst and rapid fire saves manually to your campaign if you want to automate the saving throws for when a player fires a weapon with one of these.