PDA

View Full Version : CTD on launch

josh327
January 22nd, 2019, 20:09
Hi

As soon as I launch FG, whether through Steam or via the application directly, it loads up the first screen for a second or two and then crashes with no error message.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Zacchaeus
January 22nd, 2019, 21:53
More details needed. Are you on a mac or PC? From where did you download the software? Did you accept the default locations during install or did you put it somewhere else?

josh327
January 22nd, 2019, 21:59
PC, and downloaded from Steam. My main Steam Directory is on a separate drive from the C: drive, although there also is a program folder for FG in x86.

Zacchaeus
January 22nd, 2019, 22:03
FG doesn’t install in the Steam directory by default. There are two places the first in x86 and the other in %AppData%/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds. Make sure you have full read/write access to that location. It sounds though that FG hasn’t installed correctly. Try uninstalling and download the client from the store page and install that.

josh327
January 22nd, 2019, 22:14
That's weird then. There was just a steam launcher for FG and an updater in there.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling from the store, still the same issue.

Moon Wizard
January 22nd, 2019, 22:17
Can you make sure your antivirus or other security programs have not quarantined any of the fantasy grounds executables?

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
January 22nd, 2019, 22:21
What operating system are you using?

Check in the Windows event viewer application log to see if there is any info reported when you try to start FG.

Look in the console.log file found in the FG data directory - file locations info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/File_Locations

What graphics card do you have? FG initialises DriectX9 (a very old version) when it starts - there could be issues with your graphics card not initializing this properly. Try reducing the 3D options in the graphics card advanced settings - you may have to experiment to find something that allows FG to launch.

Check that Security/AV apps aren't blocking FantasyGrounds.exe from launching.

Has the install managed to complete - the FG Updater would run and download rulesets etc.. Did this occur? Or aren't you getting this far?

josh327
January 22nd, 2019, 22:21
I've already added them to the exclusions lists.

Currently using Windows 10, my graphics card is a GTX 1080.

There's nothing in any of my AV logs that suggest anything is getting blocked. The updater runs fine, it finishes on "Update check complete" and I can change any of the settings without problem.

Event viewer:

Faulting application name: FantasyGrounds.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5c1cac19
Faulting module name: d3d9.dll, version: 10.0.17134.81, time stamp: 0x8b50c245
Exception code: 0xc000001d
Fault offset: 0x000dc981
Faulting process ID: 0x31c0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4b2a0f7baff3e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGrounds.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d9.dll
Report ID: 8a2a6163-ffed-40ef-b8bb-2add7b666441

Console.log:

[22.01.2019 22:22:32] Runtime Notice: Initializing DirectX
[22.01.2019 22:22:32] Runtime Notice: Initializing COM
[22.01.2019 22:22:32] Runtime Notice: Fantasy Grounds starting

Moon Wizard
January 22nd, 2019, 23:00
It sounds like you might need to install DirectX 9.0c (or install it again).

Try this link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34429

Regards,
JPG

josh327
January 22nd, 2019, 23:20
Threw up an error when I tried to install that, apparently I need to be running windows 98/2000/XP to install it.

I installed the DirectX June 2010 runtimes since that's what most people seem to recommend instead, but now I'm left with a folder full of CAB files I've got no idea what to do with

Moon Wizard
January 22nd, 2019, 23:46
Here's the link I found to the redistributable for the DirectX (June 2010) version.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

If that's the one you used, do you see any .EXE files in the files extracted?

JPG

Moon Wizard
January 22nd, 2019, 23:51
When I just downloaded and extracted the files, there was a DXSETUP.EXE file to run in the extracted files.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
January 23rd, 2019, 00:38
Another user with a GTX 1080 had problems starting FG. See here: https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47463-FG-not-working-with-GPU&p=423108

There’s a couple of possibilities in that thread - Duet Display causing an issue, and not using the GPU drivers (might be worth removing them at test).

josh327
January 23rd, 2019, 19:27
So I ran DXSETUP.EXE but that seemed to have no effect on fantasy grounds.

Tried disabling my GPU to just use the default motherboard one but still no luck. I don't have Duet Display either.

I'll try rolling back my GPU drivers

Xemit
January 23rd, 2019, 21:18
Probably obvious, but be sure to reboot after those installs.

josh327
January 24th, 2019, 19:42
After rolling my drivers back I don't even get a look at the starting screen before it crashes, albeit Windows also updated so I'm not sure if that could've affected it.

I'm going to uninstall and reinstall again to see if I get get back to where I was before.

LordEntrails
January 25th, 2019, 00:51
After rolling my drivers back I don't even get a look at the starting screen before it crashes, albeit Windows also updated so I'm not sure if that could've affected it.

I'm going to uninstall and reinstall again to see if I get get back to where I was before.
Do you have any other types of programs or drivers that effect display? Such as Duet Display or a USB dock for multiple monitors, or a driver/program designed to stream your display to another device? Several of these are known to have problems with DirectX 9 and hence FG.

Try disabling any services you don't need before starting FG and see if that helps.

josh327
January 25th, 2019, 23:15
There's not much I can think of. At most, I use flux to control the my monitor's lighting but I just tried deactivating that and it didn't help

On the plus side I'm back where I was before

Moon Wizard
January 25th, 2019, 23:52
I'm at a bit of a loss on next steps. In every previous case of the EXE just failing, it's either that security software on the machine has quarantined the software (thus removing the real executable), or the DX information is not showing up.

Please send a couple files to [email protected], with a pointer to this thread. We'll need the console.log file that is created after you try starting FG; and the update.log information after running the installer/updater with the Enhanced Logging mode turned on in the Settings and then run an Update. This will allow us to double-check your license key and Settings. These files can be found in the FG data directory specified by the installer/updater. (Usually located at C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds) (Make sure to replace <UserName> with the user name of your Windows user.)

Regards,
JPG

ddavison
January 26th, 2019, 14:46
Do you happen to be running Duet Display or anything like that? We had several users report back that this was causing the graphics drivers to not be able to work properly. Removing Duet Display fixed the problem for them.

josh327
January 26th, 2019, 16:47
After disabling/deactivating any programs that seemed like they might interfere with display or GPUs, I found that deactivating MSI Afterburner seemed to solve the problem. As long as I turn that off before running Fantasy Grounds, everything seems to work fine.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Trenloe
January 26th, 2019, 17:01
Glad you worked out what was causing the issue.

damned
January 26th, 2019, 23:26
Well done and thank you for posting the solution/cause.

Magni68
November 6th, 2020, 23:26
I am having similar issues. The game was running fine until the updater updated. Now my .EXE is gone and the program "failed to launch fantasy grounds Unity" Please tell me what information to provide and where to find it. I am extremely frustrated.

Windows 10. don't know how to upload the dxdiag file or any other file. PLEASE HELP

Moon Wizard
November 6th, 2020, 23:30
Are you getting any error messages?
Have you checked your antivirus software to make sure that the program has not been quarantined?

Regards,
JPG

Magni68
November 7th, 2020, 20:15
Yes. I have re-installed several times and checked all things that were reported with the same problem Except the registry. I do not feel completely confident in changing directory files, but with the proper help I could do it. it works the first time I install but after it does the last update it quits working and CTD upon starting the program...

I am also having trouble with the install process, all it wants to do is install the game. After running install it wants to install again when I try to update.

Moon Wizard
November 8th, 2020, 06:49
Like I asked in post #25, it really sounds like some security software on your machine is either quaratining or preventing FG from saving correctly when updating. Updating or re-installing will not resolve the issue; since the security software would trigger again.

Regards,
JPG

Magni68
November 8th, 2020, 06:54
sounds like some security software on your machine is either quaratining or preventing FG

How can I check this?

Moon Wizard
November 8th, 2020, 06:56
It depends on what security software is installed on your machine (Windows Defender, Norton, McAfee, Avast, ...) You'll need to review the directions for the security program you use on how to check whether a program has been quarantined; and how to release it.

Regards,
JPG

Magni68
November 8th, 2020, 18:44
I have windows firewall (quarantine is empty) and Avast (quarantine is empty) also I tried installing with both programs disabled.

Moon Wizard
November 8th, 2020, 18:51
Another idea I just thought of; can you try installing these Microsoft libraries? Specifically, the "vc_redist.x64.exe" installer.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

After installing, please try running FGU again.

Thanks,
JPG