PDA

View Full Version : Resuming a campaign on a previously used computer

soundave
January 19th, 2019, 16:09
I have a short term need to run a game from my laptop. I'm pretty sure I've figured how to do that that out from previous posts here.

Now, this may be a really, really dumb question, but when I resume playing on my desktop, do I simply REPLACE the whole campaign folder with the one I generated while running the game on my laptop? I don't want to screw up nearly 3 years worth of campaign!

Thanks!

Zacchaeus
January 19th, 2019, 16:22
Find the folder (within the campaigns folder) for your specific campaign and copy that folder to the campaigns folder on the other machine. So if your campaign was called soundave's game you will find a folder within the campaigns folder called soundave's game. Just copy soundave's game folder to the other machine and paste it into the campaigns folder in FGData. No need to copy the entire campaigns folder otherwise you will replace everything in that folder.

soundave
January 19th, 2019, 16:26
Right. So when I go BACK to the regular desktop, I am replacing the folder that is there (which will be named the same thing), yes? Because it will have newer data. Will I be prompted? I just want to be sure I'm not losing anything in the move back and forth.

Thanks again!

Zacchaeus
January 19th, 2019, 16:31
I imagine windows will pop up with something saying this file already exists when you copy/paste over a file that is already there. But if you mean will FG prompt you then no. It can't know that you have changed data for the campaign on another computer; so it will accept whatever is in the campaign folder on whatever machine you load up that campaign. Short answer is yes, copy the folder back into the desktop from the laptop to update the campaign in the desktop.

soundave
January 19th, 2019, 16:33
OK, that's what I figured. Nervous Nelly here, I appreciate the support.

Zacchaeus
January 19th, 2019, 16:41
If you have any doubts at all; before you do anything zip up the campaigns folder and keep it in a safe place. That way if anything goes wrong you have a backup to fall back on.

Nylanfs
January 19th, 2019, 17:19
Always backup, and then backup your backup.

damned
January 20th, 2019, 03:04

Nylanfs
January 20th, 2019, 19:02
And if those fail, call the NSA and ask for their backup of your system.