PDA

View Full Version : Best use of Modular [battle] maps?

SailorLovins
January 19th, 2019, 04:03
I am looking to add the element of randomness to some of my "one-shots." I see loads of map packs containing modular tiles that can be arranged any way desired. I thought about converting these small images into tokens and using the enhanced images extension to put these sections onto the background layer. Is there a better way? Id really like to maximize the use of these pdf modular map packs.

Trenloe
January 19th, 2019, 04:29
I am looking to add the element of randomness to some of my "one-shots." I see loads of map packs containing modular tiles that can be arranged any way desired. I thought about converting these small images into tokens and using the enhanced images extension to put these sections onto the background layer.
It's possible, but you'll need to turn off auto token sizing to grid and make sure that the tokens you use are sized relevant to the pixel grid size you're using - you don't want too large tokens otherwise these will take up a lot of memory. Also, the mask works on each token as on or off - you can't reveal a portion of a token.

Is there a better way?
I put together the complete maps, using the tiles, in GIMP or Photoshop before the game. This is less work during the game and produces a seamless map that can have the mask revealed bit-by-bit. You could even pause for a couple of minutes in your game (give the players a bio break) and quickly put together a map in GIMP and import into FG.

SailorLovins
January 19th, 2019, 04:34
I am going to go with your method Trenloe. Ill have to install GIMP. Thanks for the advice as always bro.