PDA

View Full Version : Random Book Title Generator

Davinci522
January 15th, 2019, 22:13
I couldn't find something like this that I liked so I decided to make my own. An easy module that you can load and randomly generate book titles for those players that love to find libraries.Let me know what you think, and if you have any ideas of things to add shoot them my way.

Note: some of these titles will not work. The basic set up is: Title, Adjective, Subject, Title. To make things more interesting I gave the Titles and Adjectives a chance of not generating anything. I felt it gives the titles more variability but because of this some will have two titles, or in some cases only the Subject will be rolled.

EDIT: Updated to get rid of the script error cause some of the tables numbering was off. Replaced non-SRD entries, with SRD friendly ones.

Tyrannosaurus VeX
January 15th, 2019, 23:23
Pretty cool. I can definitely see the use for when players enter a library and want to browse. You can quickly come up with a whole library full of random titles.

Trenloe
January 15th, 2019, 23:27
@Davinci522 - thanks for uploading, I had a quick look. But now with your update, the download is no longer available.

One request - any chance of making it generic, and not just for the 5E ruleset please? In the definition.xml file, change the whole <ruleset> ... </ruleset> section to be <ruleset>Any</ruleset>

Talyn
January 15th, 2019, 23:35
@Davinci522 - thanks for uploading, I had a quick look. But now with your update, the download is no longer available.

One request - any chance of making it generic, and not just for the 5E ruleset please? In the definition.xml file, change the whole <ruleset> ... </ruleset> section to be <ruleset>Any</ruleset>

There was some non-OGL stuff in there so I requested he edit those then switch the ruleset to Any. New version incoming.

LordEntrails
January 15th, 2019, 23:37
Awesome, looking forward to playing with this. I've had a need more than once for a book name.

Feeling ambitious? I don't know if their are others out there, but I've been dreaming about various name generators... Tried to get my son to put one together, but he never got around to it.

Such things as taverns, NPC names (by race and country/flavor), drinks, rivers, etc? I'm sure you could think of a thousand things it could help.

Davinci522
January 15th, 2019, 23:38

Yes Talyn was helping me make it all legal. It should all be good and usable for any ruleset. I have uploaded this newest fixed version in the original post. Do I need to upload it in a comment or should that work?

Davinci522
January 15th, 2019, 23:40
Awesome, looking forward to playing with this. I've had a need more than once for a book name.

Feeling ambitious? I don't know if their are others out there, but I've been dreaming about various name generators... Tried to get my son to put one together, but he never got around to it.

Such things as taverns, NPC names (by race and country/flavor), drinks, rivers, etc? I'm sure you could think of a thousand things it could help.

There are a few already out there (Onomatology for names, and Content Generator makes some good taverns.) I wouldn't mind trying it, and maybe talking to their authors to incorporate them all in one place.

LordEntrails
January 15th, 2019, 23:40
Yes Talyn was helping me make it all legal. It should all be good and usable for any ruleset. I have uploaded this newest fixed version in the original post. Do I need to upload it in a comment or should that work?
Nope, that should work :)

Trenloe
January 15th, 2019, 23:43
I don't know if their are others out there, but I've been dreaming about various name generators... Tried to get my son to put one together, but he never got around to it.

Lots out there.

See some of them here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23721-5E-Community-Modules

Especially the incarnate system: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42088-Aiding-Players-and-Equipping-GMs-Incarnate-System

And also the recent Squarewave: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?46719-Squareware-Special-Tools-for-the-Tabletop-DM-and-VTT-FG-User-Live-on-Kickstarter

Nylanfs
January 16th, 2019, 16:18
AFAIK Book Titles are not (and can not) be covered by copyright OR the OGL.

Talyn
January 16th, 2019, 16:21
AFAIK Book Titles are not (and can not) be covered by copyright OR the OGL.

Using proper names, etc. covered by their Intellectual Property is, though. The original had Melf's Magic Arrow and several other 'named' spells not covered in the SRD.

Davinci522
January 16th, 2019, 19:53
This has been changes to work with any ruleset now. Not sure if Trenloe or Zacchaeus want to move this thread to the appropriate area.

Trenloe
January 16th, 2019, 20:09
This has been changes to work with any ruleset now. Not sure if Trenloe or Zacchaeus want to move this thread to the appropriate area.
Thanks very much!

I've moved the thread and also added it to a new Generic modules thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47518-Generic-(CoreRPG-compatible)-community-modules