PDA

View Full Version : [REQUEST] WebM Support

ItsCliffGaming
January 12th, 2019, 22:29
I'm not sure if it's even possible, but would someone be able to build an extension that allows Fantasy Ground's IMAGE/MAP to support WebM files, instead of just JPG/PNG? If this is something that can be built, as an extension, I would gladly commission out the process, PLUS give you full rights to sell it on DM's Guild, etc!

Let me know!

Zacchaeus
January 12th, 2019, 22:34
If I understand correctly what a webm file is I doubt that video will ever be supported.

ItsCliffGaming
January 12th, 2019, 22:51
If I understand correctly what a webm file is I doubt that video will ever be supported.

Any idea what limitations prevent it from supporting video?

Zacchaeus
January 12th, 2019, 23:06
No, but considering how long it can take to upload even a relatively small image to half a dozen players i’d imagine you could be there all day downloading a video file. Not sure there is any method to even get it into FG in the first place either.

Might be something Unity could do, but there is always the resource consideration. FG can run on pretty much anything right now. Not sure if we’d want to have to kit out a high end machine to use it. Just speculation on my part mind you.

ItsCliffGaming
January 12th, 2019, 23:20
No, but considering how long it can take to upload even a relatively small image to half a dozen players i’d imagine you could be there all day downloading a video file. Not sure there is any method to even get it into FG in the first place either.

Might be something Unity could do, but there is always the resource consideration. FG can run on pretty much anything right now. Not sure if we’d want to have to kit out a high end machine to use it. Just speculation on my part mind you.

Actually, that is the beauty of WebM files. They are relatively small, in comparison to their other video-brethren. You can get WebM files that are less than 5 MB pretty easily.

damned
January 12th, 2019, 23:37
The engine predates WebM.

LordEntrails
January 13th, 2019, 01:05
I suspect FGU will be able to do it. But that's only a W.A.G. In the meantime, just host the file somewhere and post a link in chat. Not ideal, but should work pretty well.

ItsCliffGaming
January 13th, 2019, 01:12
The engine predates WebM.

As someone absolutely ignorant to any sort of programming, I assume this means that it cannot be made compatible (at least, not in the prevvy of an extension)?

I suspect FGU will be able to do it. But that's only a W.A.G. In the meantime, just host the file somewhere and post a link in chat. Not ideal, but should work pretty well.

I would want it to make animated battle maps, not just video for the sake of video. So, that kind of tosses it out the window. If this was something possible, I think it would be great for everyone to be able to use!

LordEntrails
January 13th, 2019, 01:16
Well, Mr. Z and I are not really programmers. And some of the community Devs have done some things in the past that appeared improbable given the current engine, so I don't want to say it's impossible, but as damned said, the engine that runs FG was created before webm files existed, so it seems unlikely that the engine could reasonably be adapted.

Of course, if we say it's impossible, then one of those community devs might just make it work to prove us wrong :)

ItsCliffGaming
January 13th, 2019, 01:47
Well, Mr. Z and I are not really programmers. And some of the community Devs have done some things in the past that appeared improbable given the current engine, so I don't want to say it's impossible, but as damned said, the engine that runs FG was created before webm files existed, so it seems unlikely that the engine could reasonably be adapted.

Of course, if we say it's impossible, then one of those community devs might just make it work to prove us wrong :)

It would be SUCH a shame, if they were to come in here and prove you guys wrong ;)

Thank you guys so much for the information! I appreciate it.

Naurthoron
January 12th, 2021, 06:57
Feature request added: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/fg2app?ia=135378

Jiminimonka
February 17th, 2021, 15:58
It would be SUCH a shame, if they were to come in here and prove you guys wrong ;)

Thank you guys so much for the information! I appreciate it.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/VideoSources-FileCompatibility.html

Unity supports webm - so its a definite possibility in the future.

Jiminimonka
February 17th, 2021, 16:00
Feature request added: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/fg2app?ia=135378

This link is blocked.

Naurthoron
February 17th, 2021, 16:01
They trashed the old link, creating a new one here:
https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=135712

Egheal
February 18th, 2021, 19:54
Hoops, I just created the same demand a few minutes ago. I hope an admin could delete it. Beside animated maps Webm seems to be the way to use animated tokens https://immortalnights.com/product/animated-undead/