PDA

View Full Version : Personalities Tool

ldyparadox99
August 10th, 2006, 17:01
Ok, I'm nearing frusteration here so bare with me.

I've been working on modifying the SRD 3.5 to fit the d20 system my group is going to start playing with FG. No problem. Since our first game is Tuesday, I've just now started actually building the first adventure.

One of my NPC's (the leader of the city) is a CR 30 npc so he has LOTS of skills, equipment, abilities, and feats. What I've noticed is while the page expands to fit all this, there is no ability to scroll. No problem I think, I can put a command in the xml to make it scroll.

For the love of sanity....where is the xml to modify the personalities sheet???? I'm sure I'm blind and it's right here infront of me....

TIA for help and sorry if this has been covered somewhere. After a few hours of searching I figured asking is less torture.

Kalan
August 10th, 2006, 17:28
Ok, I'm nearing frusteration here so bare with me.

I've been working on modifying the SRD 3.5 to fit the d20 system my group is going to start playing with FG. No problem. Since our first game is Tuesday, I've just now started actually building the first adventure.

One of my NPC's (the leader of the city) is a CR 30 npc so he has LOTS of skills, equipment, abilities, and feats. What I've noticed is while the page expands to fit all this, there is no ability to scroll. No problem I think, I can put a command in the xml to make it scroll.

For the love of sanity....where is the xml to modify the personalities sheet???? I'm sure I'm blind and it's right here infront of me....

TIA for help and sorry if this has been covered somewhere. After a few hours of searching I figured asking is less torture.

Unless your players are in that CR range - why even bother havin his stats IN FG? As the old adage goes: "Once you stat it, they try to kill it". Saves a whole lotta grief, and you don't need anythin more than the basic combat stuff anyways (imo at least).

I know this doesn't answer your scroll question...just thought I'd pipe in anyways...that and I know little about most of those functions - Cantstanzya and rich may be able to offer better suggestions ;)

richvalle
August 10th, 2006, 18:33
Are you putting him in a character sheet? Whats wrong with putting him in a 'Personalities' window? The boxes there expand to be sized as needed. If the bottom goes off the screen you can drag the window larger (cntrl-drag with mouse I think).

rv

ldyparadox99
August 10th, 2006, 19:21
Richvalle....THANKYOU!

Here's the irony of the situation. I found the .xml text relating to the personalities pages.....I saw the control drag command (or rather, my BF did) and it didn't compute with either of us.

Much, much, much easier than making the whole page scroll, though I had it half worked out.

Dragging the box bigger works just find....call me clueless today. :-)

richvalle
August 10th, 2006, 21:05
Glad to help. :)

rv

Snikle
August 10th, 2006, 22:04
man rv, they need to give you a discount on future purchases at Smiteworks or something, you are like the Tech support guy or something!

richvalle
August 10th, 2006, 22:20
I do what I can. You guys pitch in quite a bit too!

One big happy family, thats us.

:)

rv

Kalan
August 10th, 2006, 23:52
I do what I can. You guys pitch in quite a bit too!

One big happy family, thats us.

:)

rv

That's why I keep comin back ;)

Azrael Nightstar
August 11th, 2006, 20:04
Just a quick note since Rich has already done the real work;)

A scroller probably wouldn't work as well on the personality sheet, so I'd recommend sticking to the resize method, but for future reference/anyone who checks here looking for it, the type of control you were looking for is the scroller. Code courtesy the Spells page of the d20 ruleset:

<scroller>
<bounds rect="250,647,45,27" />
<target name="spelllist" />
<button normal="button_scroller" pressed="button_scroller_down" />
</scroller>

ldyparadox99
August 13th, 2006, 18:01
In a nutshell, I sorta got the scroller working, but it's easier to just drag it bigger. No need to go fixing something that isn't broken.

Oberoten
August 14th, 2006, 08:06
As far as Personality tools go.. As a GM I have found that the best way to alter the player's personality is to pelt them with dice...

ldyparadox99
August 14th, 2006, 10:03
Arg, bringing back memories of when my ex roommate tried hitting me in the head with dice!

Actually, the best way to alter their personality is to make a trap that makes their most valuable possession go *poof*. Ask my rogue about his bow....it's priceless.

Oberoten
August 14th, 2006, 10:29
Did I mention that due to being GM for all of 23 years and ALWAYS bringing dice for the players as well as being almost compelled to buy interesting dice when I see them I have ended up with some 3kg ( Bit over six pounds ) of Dice... That is a LOT of LART (Loser Attitude Readjustment Tools )

ldyparadox99
August 16th, 2006, 08:41
Omg...and I thought my dice obsession was bad.

I've actually taken to throwing drop (licorace) at my players when they're misbehaving. However, from a purely psychological perspective, I think I'm teaching them to be bad...the whole rewarding negative behavior, blah, blah, blah...I need to find a hard candy I like but they don't to pelt them with. :D

Oberoten
August 16th, 2006, 09:30
NOTHING quite like when I once upended the entire ammo-box (Yes, managed to get my hands on a military ammo box, envy me. :) ) over the head of a player that wouldn't stop talking offgame. :)

Azrael Nightstar
August 17th, 2006, 07:21
Paradox, that's a classic Skinner-box model of positive reinforcement. Might I suggest electical shock? It works just as well on players as on pigeons ;)

Kalan
August 17th, 2006, 10:39
Paradox, that's a classic Skinner-box model of positive reinforcement. Might I suggest electical shock? It works just as well on players as on pigeons ;)

Unless they're like Bart Simpson ;)

ldyparadox99
August 17th, 2006, 13:02
I don't think shock treatment will work...unless I duct tape them to the couch and make them watch Shock Treatment.

Oberoten
August 17th, 2006, 20:12
That WOULD probably depend on the KIND of shock. One of our old GM's flashed us to get us quiet once.

... lets just say that the males around the table went very quiet and attentive.

Shrp77
August 18th, 2006, 09:01
And here for a moment I was thinking flashlight...

ldyparadox99
August 18th, 2006, 09:49
Hmmm....I'm not sure if my BF would appreciate me giving the rest of the group that kind of shock.

Then again, this is Holland and that kind of thing is suposed to be openly tolerated over here.....;)

Mainframemouse
August 18th, 2006, 10:12
And here for a moment I was thinking flashlight...

Maybe a stobe light?

Shrp77
August 18th, 2006, 12:03
Head lights? Fun bags? WHAHOOO!s?

I'm operating under the pretext that the GM was female and that there isn't any weird greasy fetish going on here...

Oberoten
August 18th, 2006, 17:12
Yes, I probably SHOULD clarify that the GM in question was my girlfriend.

I am yet to find any method that works as well for me for some reason. (Might have something to do with the fact that I am male and hairier than Robin Williams... )

ldyparadox99
August 18th, 2006, 18:54
Well, lifting your shirt may shock the group so badly that if you threaten to do it again you'll have their undivided attention??

Oberoten
August 18th, 2006, 22:29
So far, I much prefer throwing dice or dried persimons on them. NOBODY likes dried persimons and they are HARD and cheap.

Shrp77
August 18th, 2006, 22:55
same can be said for lug nuts... but they tend to leave marks in the wall if you miss...

Get a paintball gun >:)

Oberoten
August 19th, 2006, 06:42
Hmmm... We do a LOT of Airsoft as well. But I *DO* have an ooooold paintball gun lying around here somewhere. Wonder if I can fit a D6 into it...

Azrael Nightstar
August 19th, 2006, 18:59
Methinks Ober would feel remiss using a method that didn't involve somehow using dice as the projectiles ;)

Oberoten
August 19th, 2006, 19:25
heh... Well, it *WOULD* be breaking a 23 year old habbit? (Yes, started GMing when I was nine. I was the only one that read well enough to manage the rules. ) ;)

Do something downright annoying, get a D6 on the ear. ;) I have become rather exact with my thrown dice down through the years. It'd be a SHAME to break such a nice and longstanding tradition. :)

ldyparadox99
August 20th, 2006, 11:06
Maybe I ought to start carrying my larp sword with me when I DM....then I can just reach out and touch someone. :D

Oberoten
August 20th, 2006, 21:28
An airsoft gun makes wonders for attention.

I shot one of the players in the leg and the rest of the evening was wonderful fun. :)

Soo... we now have a small sturdy greenlandic colony of European Magi awaiting the prophecied onslaught of the christian knights.

They have closed deals with what is pretty much Lovecraftian Deep Ones, one of them has drunk deep from the chalice of Madness and returned from a deep visionquest which has left him more powerful but with a very troubeled mind. (And with a irrational fear of trees. )

As for the others, the priest is starting to think they are ALL diabolists, the architect is starting to put up plans for a great fortress to repel the knights once they arrive... and the others seems to be heading for the hills.

Griogre
August 21st, 2006, 08:49
Soo... we now have a small sturdy greenlandic colony of European Magi awaiting the prophecied onslaught of the christian knights.

They have closed deals with what is pretty much Lovecraftian Deep Ones, one of them has drunk deep from the chalice of Madness and returned from a deep visionquest which has left him more powerful but with a very troubeled mind. (And with a irrational fear of trees. )

As for the others, the priest is starting to think they are ALL diabolists, the architect is starting to put up plans for a great fortress to repel the knights once they arrive... and the others seems to be heading for the hills.
LOL. I was running a Spring Covenant in the Black Forest. They had a "senior" mage who was a Quesitor, twisted, not too sane and head of the covenant. The young maji and companions were terrified of this magus. The Quesitor told a bunch of Church Knights they had demons in their cellar - in front of a horrified group of companions. The knights said we need to talk to our superiors about this… and left. :p

The companions told the rest of the young maji and the grogs. The senior mage left to gather some vis by himself – and the rest of the covenant packed up, left and moved in with their Winter Covenant ally.

The former covenant members felt safe there because the several magi left in the Winter Covenant were so close to final twilight they were unbelievably powerful and insane - so the Quesitor was terrified of them! :eek:

Oberoten
August 21st, 2006, 12:03
Heh... The guy with the irrational fear of trees just called.

"I'll put the coming season into 'treading the ashen path' (for those not in the know for Ars Magica, this is basically 'Agent Orange' IE, a spell to kill trees in a wide area... ) I didn't have the heart to actually point out that 'This is greenland, how many trees do you really THINK there is going to be?'

Ahya... Been working with the campaign notes all morning as well and fleshing out the man leading this crusade. Thinking to let him slowly go more and more corrupt, leaning more and more heavily on the magi following him, taking in their advice on how to kill off the diabolists. And of course becoming more and more entangeled in the webs of his truly diabolistic advisors.

Campaign has been renamed 'Covenant of the Ten Towers' after the first nice battleplpan / fortification plans turned in to me by the players. Basically, they will try to get the refugees from Europe collected into a single huge covenant by the sea... hoping that the logistics will be working hard for them.

And I admitt it, the poor knights have NO idea what is waiting for them...
... on the other hand since this is 1530, the magi WILL have to deal with cannons as well. Nasty stuff.

ldyparadox99
August 21st, 2006, 12:08
Heh... The guy with the irrational fear of trees just called.

Heh, reminds me of my larp....during downtime the staff would come out as something called the "Reecheechee" which are spirits of minor curses.

One of our fellows got hit with the "irrational fear of trees" curse. Sadly, we play in the middle of a heavily wooded park. The poor boy was never the same after that incident...

On the other hand, my character got cursed with an "irrational fear of the sky" curse. Think that curse lasted 15 minutes.....so 15 minutes of cowering under picnic tables, making people hold a blanket over my head as I ran from tree to tree to provide cover incase the sky started falling....

I sound like such a geek now....I'm going back to my sewing project. :)