PDA

View Full Version : Map Building

Galbadine
January 10th, 2019, 11:55
Got my map and grid set.

Trying to add some rocks to cover a door on the map. Images doesn't seem to recognise .png files, and .jpg doesnt allow for transparency, leaving an ugly white square around the image.

So my question is this: How is best to add movable terrain to a map? Rugs to cover trapdoors etc, without it looking terrible.

Again, sorry if I'm missing something obvious.
I could edit the image in a photo editor, and switch maps once the secret is revealed but that seems excessive, especially if a map has several movable secrets. vI feel like I'm missing something obvious xD

Zacchaeus
January 10th, 2019, 12:32
You'll need to use tokens which are .png files.

Note that unless you use a layers extension you will get issues with token stacking.

Galbadine
January 10th, 2019, 12:46
Thanks, is there a way to stop tokens from snapping to the grid?
Free placement.
Or would I have to remove the grid, then place it, and put the grid back?

And what is a token stacking issue?
I figure if I'm gonna ask the noob questions I may as well try to avoid the noob mistakes with them xD

Zacchaeus
January 10th, 2019, 12:51
There is an option which you can select to stop grid snapping but it affects all tokens not just one (right click on the map select Layers and then snap to grid off). I suppose you could add your scenery tokens before applying the grid and then draw the grid. Not sure what kind of result you would get.

Token stacking is where you have one token on top of another one. When you try to select one of them you have the chance to select the other. So if you have an PC or NPC token on top of your rocks token then you might grab abd move the rocks rather than the PC or NPC.

Galbadine
January 10th, 2019, 12:54
I'll experiment.
Thanks for the help!

Galbadine
January 10th, 2019, 13:26
Continuing with the noob questions:

Can I hide the grid?

The map I am using has a grid drawn on. And the image doesn't line up perfectly, although its close enough that 80% tokens don't look out of place, but that map has a double line around the squares.

I have used the grid tool to line up the grid as closely as I can, and without editing the image of the map its as close as possible, but I dont like having a double line showing that the game grid and and the map grid dont perfectly align.
Can I hide the game's grid layer, whilst still having it invisibly present for moving tokens around on?

GarthGiantbane
January 10th, 2019, 14:38
Hi,

Once you load a map, unlock it and apply a grid, there are buttons to adjust the grid at the top of the map. You can make the grid lager ot smaller a pixel at a time. You can also move the grid in all directions a pixel at a time.

If it still not lining up exactly with the map, try Map Align. It's a tool which work REALLY well to make the map width and height exactly X number of pixels. Here's a post discussing it: Map Align - Utility to scale and align map to grid (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19813-Map-Align-Utility-to-scale-and-align-map-to-grid)

Hope this helps and welcome to the forums.

Garth

damned
January 10th, 2019, 15:15
Better with Grid On - it manages Size calculations and Distance calculations...
FG doesnt (natively) handle layers without extensions...