PDA

View Full Version : Effect modifiers not working?

flynnkd
January 9th, 2019, 09:31
Is there an issue with built in effects modifiers not working? I have, for eg, a medium shield equipped with the effect/property of [Parry +1, @Ranged|Thrown Armor +2], but it doesnt work. But if I put that into the combat tracker as an effect it works.

I could have sworn they were working, thats why they are there, but last year was ages ago....

Ikael
January 9th, 2019, 16:37
I would need more details, maybe screenshot how you have defined it.

flynnkd
January 10th, 2019, 09:55
So in the following image Sebastion is shooting at Quintus, who has a scutum equipped and the appropriate effect imbedded, and it does not work.
In the second attack I have added the same Effect from the Effects table and it does work.

Ikael
January 10th, 2019, 10:40
Can you also take screenshot from inventory armor section where the shield is equipped?

flynnkd
January 10th, 2019, 13:05

flynnkd
January 12th, 2019, 05:06
OK that is really annoying, it seems to have fixed itself... I think. Will have to find time to test more, but it looks ok for now.

dstuffle
January 14th, 2019, 00:26
Is there a way to get these Effect modifiers to reduce the damage taken by half? [@Melee Damage * 0.5] or some such (undead comes to mind)?

flynnkd
February 6th, 2019, 09:29
And it returns....

In this image you can see that he has 2x [Parry +1] in his Edges but they are not appearing on the Combat Tracker, but some manual effect adds are working (shield and parry). He has a base Parry of 8. It should show as 8+2+2+1+1 = 14.

So this was not working two weeks ago, worked last week and now has stopped again...I need to play every two weeks obviously :-)

He has a shield equipped also which isnt working. Identical code to the manual shield entry.

flynnkd
February 6th, 2019, 09:50
Right I may have worked it out, you have to have cards allocated before things activate fully on the CT! Working now, sorry for the hassle...

pcharran
April 21st, 2020, 05:22
I am experiencing a similar effect. [Parry +1] on the Rapier is not working. Actually any Parry effect does not seem to be working for me. I have Savage Worlds version 5.1. Am I missing a setting or something. Should I reboot (tried that once). Any suggestions?

mac40k
April 21st, 2020, 16:59
A piece of gear has to be Equipped (not just carried) for the effects to apply.

pcharran
April 22nd, 2020, 05:10
Mac,
Thanks for that. It turns out I had two weapons equipped and it was taking the higher of the two parry. Weird. I think I can make it work the way I want to now. Thanks so much for the insight.

Ikael
April 22nd, 2020, 06:25
Mac,
Thanks for that. It turns out I had two weapons equipped and it was taking the higher of the two parry. Weird. I think I can make it work the way I want to now. Thanks so much for the insight.

That is correct according to rules. If you have two weapons with Parry benefit, only the greater one will be used. However if you have Ambidexterity Edge, then both will grant benefits. See the Edge.

pcharran
May 3rd, 2020, 04:28
OK, continuing a theme. I have an edge that allows a PC to use Spirit as his wild die instead of a d6. It's a chi thing. Anyway, the documentation I do have (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Savage_Worlds_Effects) doesn't suggest a method of making the wild die equal spirit. But, there are methods for increasing the wild die. So, I set the edge effect to do Fighting +1wd. But that didn't work. I also tried Fighting = 3wd and Attack +1wd.
Any Idea what I am getting wrong?

Ikael
May 3rd, 2020, 07:03
OK, continuing a theme. I have an edge that allows a PC to use Spirit as his wild die instead of a d6. It's a chi thing. Anyway, the documentation I do have (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Savage_Worlds_Effects) doesn't suggest a method of making the wild die equal spirit. But, there are methods for increasing the wild die. So, I set the edge effect to do Fighting +1wd. But that didn't work. I also tried Fighting = 3wd and Attack +1wd.
Any Idea what I am getting wrong?

That is correct expression. You need to wrap effects within [] 's. Stats on the charsheet are not changed when you add effects but they still be take account when you make a roll

pcharran
May 3rd, 2020, 07:54
Ikael,
So weird thing. In the edge there is an effect box. If I put the formula in there it does not register. If I click on the edge and get that second line and put it there it works fine. Is that how it's supposed to work?

IceBear
May 3rd, 2020, 08:52
Ikael,
So weird thing. In the edge there is an effect box. If I put the formula in there it does not register. If I click on the edge and get that second line and put it there it works fine. Is that how it's supposed to work?

Is the second line indented a little under the first? I've noticed that a couple of times in some locations (that's escaping my memory right now). The top line is the title and the second line the description / where you put the effect

pcharran
May 3rd, 2020, 12:25
Yes, if I place the effect on the second line it works. But the effect line in the Edge seems not to work.

IceBear
May 3rd, 2020, 12:59
When I get to my PC I'll take a look. I was just wondering if the second line was indented from the first. If so that's expected.

IceBear
May 3rd, 2020, 14:44
Here's one of my characters in my Tyrnador campaign. He has the Arsenal edge which gives him +1 Benny if he has 6 weapons. Since he pretty much always has 6 weapons I added it to the Edge and will get him to get rid of a benny if he has less than 6. Anyway, looking at on his sheet I do see the second line is indented from the first. I believe the top line is just the "title / description" so it's not parsed for effects. I put the [Benny +1] in the second line (which is indented in a little from the first and it works

I'm not sure how to post screenshots here but I will put it up in the FG Savage Worlds Discord channel if you want

Ikael
May 3rd, 2020, 15:19
You must have written the effect expression into Edge/Hindrance/Ability's Effect field BEFORE you add it to anyone. That field is only read & copied when drop the ability to record sheet. The so called "second line" is the same field that maps to Ability record's Effects field, but it is populated from the ability records source when you drop the Ability. The reason for this is that unlike Items and Gear, Edges are NOT copied completely into your character sheet, instead they are links to original records. For instance, if you have added any official SWADE Abilities and you click the link, that record is hard locked because it references to the module it comes from.

pcharran
May 3rd, 2020, 16:28
IceBear,
Since you mentioned screenshots I thought posting some might explain what I am working with.
I added the Bring it on Edge like so:

You see that in the effects section I put the formula. But, it doesn't work from there. It only works if I manually put it in the character sheet, like this:

So, my big question is, do the edges not automatically populate the effects they are describing? Do I have to go in and manually update all of them?

Thanks,
Paul

pcharran
May 3rd, 2020, 16:30
Ikael,
That's interesting. I built the edges before I ever imported them. I'll go back and edit them and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip,
Paul

pcharran
May 3rd, 2020, 17:00
Ikael and IceBear,
So, that was totally it. I needed to add the effects to the new edges to make them take effect. Sorry about being such a pain. The virus has forced me to take my home game online. It's a lot more prep than just drawing maps on my dining room table. I really appreciate the help you guys.

Thank You Soooooo much!

IceBear
May 3rd, 2020, 17:22
Don't worry about it...I've only been using FG since March 17th for the same reason:)

dikdastard
May 8th, 2020, 12:41
If I may as possibly a related issue to some of this, I am trying to add an effect to a power that would be applied directly on the power. I can drag the correct effect syntax onto the spell description and it appears like it would when attached to an item but then doesnt seem to do anything. In some of the other rulesets, I can create effects under the spell description that I can at least then manually drag onto the targeted character. Is there no way to do this under SWADE short of finding it in the global effects list and dragging it across from there to the CT every time? Screenshot attached to illustrate trying to set up a subpower where PPs adjusted to add fatigue to the target along with damage (Franklin's zapper entry)35035

IceBear
May 8th, 2020, 14:47
As of right now Effects can't be added to targets of a power. What I've told my spellcaster player to do is add the effect to his hotbar and put a note on his power that it adds this effect. Then drag the effect from his hotbar to the target in the combat tracker

dikdastard
May 8th, 2020, 15:27
Thanks that sounds like a sensible workaround. Just wanted to be sure wasn't simply doing it wrong as the effect allowed itself to be dragged across almost like it wanted to work ��

IceBear
May 8th, 2020, 16:13
I was where you are now a couple of weeks ago :) I'm like, why can't my wizard's lingering bolt leave an effect on the target to take 2d4 damage the next round and roll the damage for me. Turns out, Ikael wants to do it, but it's a big project so until then I made an effect that lasts one round called Lingering Damage and we put it on any target of a lingering bolt spell. It's there just as a visual reminder to roll /dmg 2d4 and apply it to the target on his next turn.

Things are automated so much that when they don't, it's like "Huh? What am I doing wrong?" :D