PDA

View Full Version : Damage Types

MadBeardMan
January 9th, 2019, 01:13
Hi All,

As part of the PSI stuff I spoke about Damage Types for weapons and PSI abilities.

So it's on the wishlist and I'm going to start to collate what I need to do.

For example, Reflec Armour offers a different level of Protection from a Laser attack, to a Slug Pistol attack.

So what kind of Damage Types do we need?

Kinetic (Slug weapons etc)
Laser
Radiation
Psionic
Stun
Fire

That's part of the what we need, Armour needs to be updated to have different armour values for the different types, ie like Reflec does, or do we have that and a mix of resitances?

I welcome your thoughts on this.

Cheers
MBM

esmdev
January 9th, 2019, 13:53
I had to go digging through my Drivethru archive to find my old MGT1 core rules, but as far as I can tell Kinetic, Laser, Psionic and Radiation are the only damage types listed in either edition.

Unlike MGT1, the MGT2 core rules don't specifically state that there is a difference in damage between standard and psionic. It might be an oversight, or it might be a decision to standardize damage.

Also, radiation inflicts RAD damage in addition to regular damage. It might be useful to have a RAD indicator on the character sheet.

I was thinking it might also be useful to list each of the damage type resistances individually on the character sheet and just have the armor worn apply the highest value to the individual damage type with a maximum of two armors worn. Then for damage that number can be automatically deducted from the appropriate damage type.

MadBeardMan
January 10th, 2019, 07:55
I had to go digging through my Drivethru archive to find my old MGT1 core rules, but as far as I can tell Kinetic, Laser, Psionic and Radiation are the only damage types listed in either edition.

Unlike MGT1, the MGT2 core rules don't specifically state that there is a difference in damage between standard and psionic. It might be an oversight, or it might be a decision to standardize damage.

Also, radiation inflicts RAD damage in addition to regular damage. It might be useful to have a RAD indicator on the character sheet.

I was thinking it might also be useful to list each of the damage type resistances individually on the character sheet and just have the armor worn apply the highest value to the individual damage type with a maximum of two armors worn. Then for damage that number can be automatically deducted from the appropriate damage type.

Thanks for such a detailed reply.

There are a number of subtle differences between the two versions. I'm going to be starting to use 2E from the end of next month.

Adding a Radiation level/status track to the PC sheet sounds like a good idea, I'll think about that and how it'll work etc.

Like your idea about having the resistances listed as their own thing rather than against each piece of armour/vaccsuit etc.

Cheers!
MBM

chesire
January 20th, 2019, 14:06
Related to damage types is “Stun” dmg something that’s currently handled in the ruleset or being considered? I recognize it’s sort of a special case but right now I’ve been having to make all the rolls outside of the normal automation in the CT so if it’s possible to do would be nice to have this handled automatically as well (ie. roll dmg - Armour value, apply as dm to automatically rolled END check and apply “unconcious” effect if fail).

MadBeardMan
January 20th, 2019, 14:12
Related to damage types is “Stun” dmg something that’s currently handled in the ruleset or being considered? I recognize it’s sort of a special case but right now I’ve been having to make all the rolls outside of the normal automation in the CT so if it’s possible to do would be nice to have this handled automatically as well (ie. roll dmg - Armour value, apply as dm to automatically rolled END check and apply “unconcious” effect if fail).

Hi Chesire,

Valid suggestion for 'Stun', I'll add that now as I'm working on Damage Types.

It'll take a bit more work to make certain damage types damage certain attributes, so can't promise that just yet.

I know for low End characters, you can randomise which attribute is first damaged etc, quite a few caveats to take into account.

Cheers,
MBM

MadBeardMan
January 20th, 2019, 16:39
Folks,

Here's the first bit of development for the Damage Types.

This example shows 4 weapons being used, the 1st and last have 'kinetic' damage type, the other two nothing.

To add the damage type simply edit the 'Damage' section on the CT. I will update the initial Data to do that for you, but for current Attack/Damage options it's the easiest thing to do.

Next up though, time to work on the Armour Resistances.

Cheers,
MBM

chesire
January 20th, 2019, 17:14
Looks good so far! I just had a look at the Central Supply Catalogue for 1E to see if there were any other damage types worth considering and I did notice two that could be worth adding:

Flame
Psi

I know you mentioned putting Psi under kinetic but there is at least 1 armour type that works specifically against psi attacks so if it's not much trouble may be worth breaking that one out. For Flame there are a number of armors that work against lasers and flame weapons so these could be combined into one damage type if needed but could be nice to have them broken out for customization down the line.

MadBeardMan
January 20th, 2019, 17:26
Looks good so far! I just had a look at the Central Supply Catalogue for 1E to see if there were any other damage types worth considering and I did notice two that could be worth adding:

Flame
Psi

I know you mentioned putting Psi under kinetic but there is at least 1 armour type that works specifically against psi attacks so if it's not much trouble may be worth breaking that one out. For Flame there are a number of armors that work against lasers and flame weapons so these could be combined into one damage type if needed but could be nice to have them broken out for customization down the line.

Well at the moment PSI has it's own damage type, 'psionic'. I need to edit the 1st post to make this clearer.

As for Fire, MGT2E has the 'Fire' trait, allowing continuous damage etc, so I could look at bringing that into 1E, I don't have the Central Supply Catalogue for 1E though, and I doubt Mongoose would allow me to convert it for this ruleset even though it's probably quite compatible with 2E.

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming!

Cheers,
MBM

MadBeardMan
January 20th, 2019, 19:30
I'm playing in DnD soon, but here, I've updated the data that's part of the 1E Data set, the Armour shows what it protects against and to what level.

Next up is to update the data models used when a player uses that armour. Then onto the resistances stuff inside the Damage code.

Alas I'm busy on something else in the week, but hope to get this done at least at the next weekend, gives me a week to get the PSI stuff done.

Cheers,
MBM

MadBeardMan
March 2nd, 2019, 16:34
Afternoon All,

Here are the 'Damage Types' for 1.0.9+

kinetic
laser
psionic
radiation
stun
fire
corrosive
ap
sap
super-ap

The last 3 are for 2300AD.

How to use them?

At the end of the Damage Field, add the Damage you need, ie 3D6+2 laser

In the 1.0.9. ruleset all the weapons have the Damage Types, so what you might want to do, remove the Equipment/Actions, and then re-add them.

Let me know if we need more.

Thanks,
MBM

esmdev
March 2nd, 2019, 17:31
Nice, bravo. Keeps getting better.

GunbunnyFuFu
March 2nd, 2019, 17:47
Looking forward to using these in my 2300 AD campaign! Excellent work!

GB