PDA

View Full Version : Neo-Vancian Casting

Daniel Romualdo
January 6th, 2019, 14:18
I'm starting a new campaign with Pathfinder 2, but me and my players all hate classic Vancian spellcasting, so I houseruled it away in favor of a neo-Vancian system like 5th Edition. Is there at least a workaround to make that work in Fantasy Grounds? So that players choose a number of spells to prepare and have avaliable but the spells themselves aren't expended on casting, only the spell slot?

Trenloe
January 7th, 2019, 05:14
Set to spontaneous spellcasting?

Daniel Romualdo
January 7th, 2019, 05:34
The thing is, I needed a Spontaneous Casting that lets the player mark some of the spells as prepared to be used for that day, and then only those appear when they switch to Combat, not the entire list. Exactly like a Wizard in DnD 5e, basically. I don't think that's possible with how Spontaneous Casters work in the PF2 ruleset.

I'll probably have my players create one prepared spellcasting class to mark which spells are prepared and one spontaneous class with just the spell slots, unless there is and easier way that I'm missing.

Trenloe
January 7th, 2019, 15:43
There's nothing that auto-checks of spell uses, you need to do that manually, so you can pretty much do what you want to track it.

A couple of things I can think of:

1) Use prepared casting and "prepare" each spell the number of slots you have for that spell level - then the level header can keep track of how many have been "cast" for that level, and if you use "combat" mode, the level will disappear when you reach the number of uses defined for the level.
2) Add a "00 - Spell slot uses" dummy spell (or some similar name so it's at the top of the spell list for the level) and prepare that the number of slots you have. Prepare the other spells as normal (one "check" to indicate you have it prepared) and then track the uses with the dummy spell.

Ampersandrew
January 10th, 2019, 01:34
Actually what you're describing is an Arcanist in Pathfinder first edition.

shadelon
January 14th, 2019, 01:25
I honestly don't like either vancian system at all. I prefer a spell pts system that goes with my world better. Anyway to make that work?

Trenloe
January 14th, 2019, 05:32
I honestly don't like either vancian system at all. I prefer a spell pts system that goes with my world better. Anyway to make that work?
I specifically only coded to support what was in the playtest and I removed the 3.5E psionic (points based) casting as it was messing with the powers implementation and wasn't relevant to the playtest.

Could you use powers, as this is spell points based?

shadelon
January 14th, 2019, 05:34
I could if I could rename labels easily and have separate spots for it versus the powers.

shadelon
January 14th, 2019, 05:36
I actually am going to have to house rule in the psionics cause my setting uses that too.

Trenloe
January 14th, 2019, 05:50
I could if I could rename labels easily and have separate spots for it versus the powers.
You can have a separate spot for this - just create another power class and call it what you want. You can multiple spell and power classes on the same PC sheet.

You can change the labels with an extension. However, there's probably only one label to change - the "powers" label on the power/spell header/divider. You can just ignore that.

shadelon
January 14th, 2019, 05:54
Considering I can't code extensions worth crap, I'm trying to do what I can without having to resort to that lol

Trenloe
January 14th, 2019, 06:06
Considering I can't code extensions worth crap, I'm trying to do what I can without having to resort to that lol
Well, if your points based casting basically does what powers do, then you can use powers. There's only one label that says "powers" and that's pretty innocuous. Everything else says spell points, etc..

shadelon
January 14th, 2019, 06:22
Yeah my only other problem is the traditions. As I eluded before I completely re-organised all of the spells and don't even use the traditional schools.

Trenloe
January 14th, 2019, 06:27
Well, you have to realise that if you change too much stuff, you won't be able to fit that round peg into the square hole. My goal this year will be to create the PFRPG2 ruleset that provides as much functionality of the official Paizo product as I can. I won't even consider looking at customisations/house rules outside of this for a long time - just so everyone is very aware of that!

shadelon
January 14th, 2019, 06:38
I know I just have to house rule things a certain way for it to work with my setting. My setting is VERY different from Faerun or Golarion or whatever. I do things very differently. lol

UltimateGM
January 14th, 2019, 19:59
So when you say your going to be working on PFRPG2, do you mean functionality like 5e where you can drag and drop most class feats and they will create effects? ;)

Trenloe
January 14th, 2019, 20:00
So when you say your going to be working on PFRPG2 do you mean functionality like 5e where you can drag and drop most class feats and they will create effects? ;)
No comment. Nothing like that at all.

Zacchaeus
January 14th, 2019, 20:09

I think you just commented on the no comment :)

UltimateGM
January 14th, 2019, 20:13

Sorry for high jacking the thread but I couldn't resist! I know those coder skills your working with you cant hide it! :o