PDA

View Full Version : NPC Portrait instead of GM Portrait

YAKO SOMEDAKY
January 6th, 2019, 13:08
As I always say I'm not a programmer, but with my stubbornness I can make some changes and yesterday I went to sleep with the following idea and theory in my head.
I imagine it's one of the LUA files in the desktop folder that says so-and-so has portrait displays it in the chat, but I imagine it has something that says if it's the GM rolling it displays the image of it, even though I personify the NPC.
I also know that NPCs only have the Token field, but if I enter the Portrait field in the NPC, I would tell the program that if GM personifies the NPC instead of using GM Portrait to use the NPC Portrait and I imagine that I should do this an extension in CoreRPG or should I do in the ruleset that I want this function?

MadBeardMan
January 6th, 2019, 19:14
As I always say I'm not a programmer, but with my stubbornness I can make some changes and yesterday I went to sleep with the following idea and theory in my head.
I imagine it's one of the LUA files in the desktop folder that says so-and-so has portrait displays it in the chat, but I imagine it has something that says if it's the GM rolling it displays the image of it, even though I personify the NPC.
I also know that NPCs only have the Token field, but if I enter the Portrait field in the NPC, I would tell the program that if GM personifies the NPC instead of using GM Portrait to use the NPC Portrait and I imagine that I should do this an extension in CoreRPG or should I do in the ruleset that I want this function?

That's a very good idea! If you create it they could add it to CoreRPG, or you could via an extension, I'd love to use it in my rulesets and games.

Huzzah!

LordEntrails
January 6th, 2019, 21:52
It sounds familiar... I would search the forums to see if someone has done it before or at least that it has been discussed.

Moon Wizard
January 7th, 2019, 02:26
Portraits are strictly tied to character IDs, so there is no concept of "portraits" as a non-PC object. This is one of the reasons why nothing like this has been written yet. I actually looked at doing something like this a while back, and realized that it required another set of functionality. The built-in icon graphics system was hacked by original developers to automatically create icons for PC portraits.

Either the chat window message system needs to be enhanced to add the ability to specify token objects (or other graphic objects) as part of the message; or some other mechanism needs to be developed. I believe that this is something that will work best as a client enhancement; as any extension-like implementation would be limited to pre-loaded icon graphics in the ruleset, or some sort of hack to try and re-use PC portraits which would cause all sorts of interesting issues to resolve as an extension.

This capability is a lower priority than FGU, so it's not something that will be available for some time.

Regards,
JPG

YAKO SOMEDAKY
January 7th, 2019, 02:37
Understood, thanks for clarify my thoughs :D