PDA

View Full Version : [Extension] - Weapon Handling - Versatile and Offhand attack

st4lk3r87
January 6th, 2019, 02:38
I created this little extension to get rid of the several copies of the same weapons in the action tab ( 3 longswords, 2 daggers, 2 battleaxes and so on )
It provides a new button to identify the weapon attack as 1-handed, 2-handed or offhand.

In 2-handed mode if the weapon has a Versatile property the new damage will override the base damage dice. ( Longsword, Battleaxe, Quarterstaff )
In off-hand mode the ability score modifier is not applied to the damage.
It's also possible to enable the "Two-weapon fighting style" to ignore the previous rule.
One-handed mode is the default behaviour ( nothing change )

https://i.imgur.com/Jwc1Ujr.png https://i.imgur.com/zjbppS2.png?2

https://i.imgur.com/eY74KhQ.png https://i.imgur.com/U7xPN9Y.png

https://youtu.be/T4PF0C1pmLs

Possible issues:
I was aware of 2 main conflicts with other extensions: "5e Action Abilities" and "Advanced Effects". I managed to let them work with some workaround. I'm not sure if there could be more problems.

Further consideration: I don't like the icons i'm using at all! If you like this extension and you come up with better ideas let me know please!

======

Weapon Handling v1.3.1 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27969&d=1563484156)

Changelog

Version 1.0.0

First implementation

Version 1.1.0

Change offhand attack icon. ( Red and rotated of 45 degrees ).

Version 1.1.1

Fix: Versatile property was ignored when other properties are specified.

Version 1.2.0

Add: Handling restriction. You can only use the proper handling based on the weapon property.
Add: Options to disable Handling restriction and go back to the previous functionality.
Add: Dual Wielder option in "Weapon Meta"

Version 1.3.0

Add: Attack type restriction. You can only use the proper attack type based on the weapon property.
Add: Finesse weapon functionality.
Remove: Old logs.

Version 1.3.1

Fix: Improved code to support the Advanced Effect extension ( thanks to Valerian Stormbreaker and Intruder )

damned
January 6th, 2019, 02:59
Well done. Great job. Maybe a Fist or a Red Hand for Off Hand?

st4lk3r87
January 6th, 2019, 03:27
Well done. Great job. Maybe a Fist or a Red Hand for Off Hand?

Yes I think a Red Hand could work :) Thank you damned.

LordEntrails
January 6th, 2019, 05:40
Or rotate the off hand icon 45 degrees. Or both :)

st4lk3r87
January 6th, 2019, 10:12
Or rotate the off hand icon 45 degrees. Or both :)
I did both :D I just uploaded a new version with the new icon ( as well as the new screenshot ).

StoryWeaver
January 6th, 2019, 11:12
Nice extension, I think I'll be adding this to my games. : )

st4lk3r87
January 6th, 2019, 11:23
Nice extension, I think I'll be adding this to my games. : )
Great! Thank you! I'm going to test it with my players on Thursday. Let me know if you find any issues or if you have any suggestions I'm all ears!

ReverendJ
January 7th, 2019, 17:30
Very nice! I was just contemplating going through all my player's Actions tabs to add the 1-hand, 2-hand & off-hand attacks but this extension has saved me the hassle.

Eru the One
January 7th, 2019, 19:48
Very good extension! I couldn't get it to work with tridents (any) or the Dwarven Thrower as they have more than just "Versatile (XdX)" in their properties.

AlphaDecay
January 7th, 2019, 21:19
Ohh - I like this. Thanks a ton.

st4lk3r87
January 8th, 2019, 03:10
Very good extension! I couldn't get it to work with tridents (any) or the Dwarven Thrower as they have more than just "Versatile (XdX)" in their properties.
I can look into them :) What's the default property?

st4lk3r87
January 8th, 2019, 03:38
Ok, I updloaded a new version with a minor fix. There was a little bug. If Versatile was not the first property it was ignored. Now it works.

st4lk3r87
January 8th, 2019, 05:58
I Uploaded a new version of the extension. I added some restriction based on weapon properties.

If a weapon has the "two-handed" you can't change the mode to "one-handed" or "off-hand" ( Think about all the greataxe, bow, crossbow and so on ).
If a weapon isn't "light" you can't change the mode to "off-hand". ( I added a Dual Wielder checkbox in "Weapon Meta" that ignore the light property rule in this case ).
If a weapon isn't "versatile" you can't change from "one-handed" to "two-handed".

I also added a new option to disable this new update ( by default it is set to on )

ReverendJ
January 8th, 2019, 18:08
New update is good, thanks.

GavinRuneblade
January 9th, 2019, 04:49
I Uploaded a new version of the extension. I added some restriction based on weapon properties.

If a weapon has the "two-handed" you can't change the mode to "one-handed" or "off-hand" ( Think about all the greataxe, bow, crossbow and so on ).
If a weapon isn't "light" you can't change the mode to "off-hand". ( I added a Dual Wielder checkbox in "Weapon Meta" that ignore the light property rule in this case ).
If a weapon isn't "versatile" you can't change from "one-handed" to "two-handed".

I also added a new option to disable this new update ( by default it is set to on )

Excellent update!

birdskull
January 9th, 2019, 16:01
Very nice, little extension!

st4lk3r87
January 9th, 2019, 17:49
Thank you all for the feedback!!!

Talking about "Weapon Handling" the 5e ruleset doesn't treat correctly the range/throw/melee attack type. I decided to remove options when it doesn't make sense. For example: Making a melee attack with a longbow doesn't make sense. If you want to do it, it has to be treated as an improvised weapon. Same if you decide to throw a "non throwable" weapon. With this new version of the extension the player/gm is not allowed to change attack type if the weapon property doesn't state so. Let me know if you like this approach too. Personally I prefer when the user is not confused by lot of useless options.

I also added a functionality for finesse weapon. The extension will try to use the best ability score modifier, between STR or DEX, when "base" modifier is in use and the "finesse" property is added to the weapon.

Moon Wizard
January 9th, 2019, 20:01
The only drawback with this approach is that you limit the way people play the game. One of the reasons why there are so many options is that people often houserule things, so leaving flexibility to use how you want can be useful.

Not saying that it’s bad, just something to consider.

Regards,
JPG

st4lk3r87
January 9th, 2019, 22:20
The only drawback with this approach is that you limit the way people play the game. One of the reasons why there are so many options is that people often houserule things, so leaving flexibility to use how you want can be useful.

Not saying that it’s bad, just something to consider.

Regards,
JPG
Yes I totally agree. That's why I added the option to turn it off. So people have the power to decide. A close to RAW approach or a more Homebrewable one.

pablomaz
January 13th, 2019, 14:44
This is excellent! Thanks!

HuseyinCinar
February 13th, 2019, 15:46
Definitely downloading now! I added a "Take Shield Off" (AC:-2) action to all my PCs for when they switch one-two hands or off hands but the Weapons category was getting clumped up.

I'll add this to my collection for sure.

mac40k
February 14th, 2019, 13:40
This is a rather small cosmetic change and is just my opinion of course, but I think the off hand icon would look better if it was 45 degrees off in the opposite direction.

st4lk3r87
February 14th, 2019, 20:32
This is a rather small cosmetic change and is just my opinion of course, but I think the off hand icon would look better if it was 45 degrees off in the opposite direction.

I'm doing a small update which is changing the way how ranged attack and ammunition are working. I'll change the icon too :)

Temmpest
February 15th, 2019, 17:23
What an awesome extension! Great work!

Pepor
March 18th, 2019, 09:05
This is really a cool extension.

Could you please tell me how to activate the Finesse property?

Thanks!

Zacchaeus
March 18th, 2019, 10:25
This is really a cool extension.

Could you please tell me how to activate the Finesse property?

Thanks!

Fantasy Grounds already handles finesse. If you equip a finesse weapon then FG will use whichever stat is the highest (STR or DEX) to determine your hit and damage bonuses.

st4lk3r87
March 18th, 2019, 15:16
Fantasy Grounds already handles finesse. If you equip a finesse weapon then FG will use whichever stat is the highest (STR or DEX) to determine your hit and damage bonuses.

Exactly. I didn't touch that part. I must say it's a bit hardcoded but it delivers :D

Pepor
March 19th, 2019, 08:57

Yes, I knew that. I thought I had to do something else in addition to keep that functionality running because of the first post description.

Thank you both guys!

rbtmatrix
April 14th, 2019, 04:08
This should just be included with the 5e rules set by default.

DrakosDJ
April 14th, 2019, 05:46
I agree, but to be fair, there is a lot of stuff that the community does that should be adopted to be in the 5e ruleset.

LordEntrails
April 14th, 2019, 06:05
Keep in mind, every function or piece of automation added to core FG functionality is just a little more overhead. Meaning each version takes little longer to development and validate. Plus, right now the focus is on FGU, not incorporating every valuable idea into FGC.

lostsanityreturned
April 14th, 2019, 18:14
Keep in mind, every function or piece of automation added to core FG functionality is just a little more overhead. Meaning each version takes little longer to development and validate. Plus, right now the focus is on FGU, not incorporating every valuable idea into FGC.

Sure, but some elements are impactful enough that they are worth putting into the core ruleset imo.

Spell slot tracking is minor and non necessary. This however requires someone to modify a weapon every time they use it with a different number of hands so the versatile and offhand functionality is just such a huge time saver for groups that change weapons frequently.

I am not going to demand it now, but I do think this is one addon that is worth making core.

That and FGU getting built in better inventory container handling functions :P ;) because doing it via ruleset is clunky.

Zacchaeus
April 14th, 2019, 19:42
That and FGU getting built in better inventory container handling functions :P ;) because doing it via ruleset is clunky.

Since Unity won't be touching rulesets because rulesets need to be compatible with the current version of FG things like this won't change just because of Unity.

LordEntrails
April 14th, 2019, 19:49
Sure, but some elements are impactful enough that they are worth putting into the core ruleset imo.
If you feel they are important, then make sure they are on the wishlist and you vote for them. Link in Mr Z's signature.

lostsanityreturned
April 14th, 2019, 22:39
If you feel they are important, then make sure they are on the wishlist and you vote for them. Link in Mr Z's signature.

I do?

Since Unity won't be touching rulesets because rulesets need to be compatible with the current version of FG things like this won't change just because of Unity.

Ever? I was under the impression that it was more of a "get the core of unity out there and everything working before looking at further core improvements" kinda thing.

LordEntrails
April 14th, 2019, 23:45
Ever? I was under the impression that it was more of a "get the core of unity out there and everything working before looking at further core improvements" kinda thing.
No, version 1 of FGU won't have ruleset updates. After that, it will depend. As Mr Z says, while FGC remains supported, any ruleset updates will have to be compatible to both FGC and FGU.

Though this functionality can (obviously) be supported on FGC, other possibilities might not be reasonable on both platforms. We wil have to see.

But, regardless, as I said earlier, the best way to get enhancements is to put them on and vote for them on the wishlist :)

Killer931
April 22nd, 2019, 05:10
Awesome work!

Stripe_dog
May 27th, 2019, 13:42
So when you have a versatile weapon (eg. longsword), it changes the damage dice from 1d8 to 1d10 when you change hands. Would it be possible, then, to have a button that can change damage type? For example, change from 1d8 slashing to 1d8 piercing (not for the longsword specifically but a weapon in general), or 1d8 slashing to 1d4 bludgeoning?

Reason being is I think it'd be neat if players could change how they wield a weapon and thus change the damage and damage type. Like the many ways proper long swords are used to make both piercing (thrusts) and slashing attacks or can be held inverted to strike with the pommel/crossguard (Mordhau technique). I know one could just edit the weapon's damage type and dice manually but it's a bit clunky and not conducive to mid-combat tactic changes.

Zacchaeus
May 27th, 2019, 17:53
So when you have a versatile weapon (eg. longsword), it changes the damage dice from 1d8 to 1d10 when you change hands. Would it be possible, then, to have a button that can change damage type? For example, change from 1d8 slashing to 1d8 piercing (not for the longsword specifically but a weapon in general), or 1d8 slashing to 1d4 bludgeoning?

Reason being is I think it'd be neat if players could change how they wield a weapon and thus change the damage and damage type. Like the many ways proper long swords are used to make both piercing (thrusts) and slashing attacks or can be held inverted to strike with the pommel/crossguard (Mordhau technique). I know one could just edit the weapon's damage type and dice manually but it's a bit clunky and not conducive to mid-combat tactic changes.

No, you would need to add a new weapon line with the specific damage type that you wanted.

sorvan76
May 27th, 2019, 18:01
Excellent. Great work, thank you. :)

rbtmatrix
May 27th, 2019, 20:36

No, you would need to add a new weapon line with the specific damage type that you wanted.

I think it would be technically possible to make an extension that adds a button to toggle weapon damage type the same way this extension changes damage dice on the fly. However I don't think that would be within the scope of this extension, and is currently beyond the scope of my ability. Also, the reason that in 5e weapons only have a single damage type option is in part to reduce the number of choices a player need make in a turn to facilitate faster combats, and in part to encourage the use of other weapons so that you can't defeat a creature that is immune to slashing by saying I strike with the flat of my blade. So such an extension would be against the spirit of DnD5e.
Yes, flat strikes and thrusts are part of HEMA longsword training, but they are a very minor part, if you are fighting with a longsword, your goal is to deliver a cut.

st4lk3r87
May 27th, 2019, 20:44
I think it would be technically possible to make an extension that adds a button to toggle weapon damage type the same way this extension changes damage dice on the fly. However I don't think that would be within the scope of this extension, and is currently beyond the scope of my ability. Also, the reason that in 5e weapons only have a single damage type option is in part to reduce the number of choices a player need make in a turn to facilitate faster combats, and in part to encourage the use of other weapons so that you can't defeat a creature that is immune to slashing by saying I strike with the flat of my blade. So such an extension would be against the spirit of DnD5e.
Yes, flat strikes and thrusts are part of HEMA longsword training, but they are a very minor part, if you are fighting with a longsword, your goal is to deliver a cut.

Exactly. It's totally doable with an extension but it belongs more to an "homebrew" use case.

capchu
June 13th, 2019, 17:41
I love this extension! I was just wondering if you could add a sneak attack function as well (maybe that you can turn on in the weapon meta). It would make my rouge's life so much easier!

st4lk3r87
June 13th, 2019, 17:48
I love this extension! I was just wondering if you could add a sneak attack function as well (maybe that you can turn on in the weapon meta). It would make my rouge's life so much easier!

You can add a power in your list of powers and add an effect that give you the +1d6 and so on damage. How do you do that right now?

Zacchaeus
June 13th, 2019, 23:27
Open the sneak attack ability and drag it into the actions tab. It will create the sneak attack effect for you. Apply the effect before damage is rolled and after the hit is a success.

H2Os
June 17th, 2019, 21:23
This is great and doesn't add any complexity to the player! Thank you!

st4lk3r87
June 17th, 2019, 22:38
This is great and doesn't add any complexity to the player! Thank you!

Thank you for letting me know :) If you have any feedback or advice don't hesistate to tell me that :)

Intruder
June 22nd, 2019, 20:48
Not sure if you corrected, or even are aware, but when "Advanced Effects" places an effect on an item
this extension will not let the effect work.

We like this extension very much, but can not give up Advanced Effects. :)

ie, place "Savage Attack; DMG: 1d6 critical" on an item and the effect will not work.
Any new remedies?

HuseyinCinar
June 24th, 2019, 20:09
Why not use the Crit Range / Crit Dice window for Savage Attack?

I haven't realized an issue with Advanced Effects before

Valerian Stormbreaker
July 17th, 2019, 20:52
Okay! After working with Intruder (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?53150-Intruder), I have solved the problems between the Weapon Handling (WH) and Advanced Effects (AE) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)) extensions. Both extensions replace the "char_weapon" windowclass' script. Because the WH extension has a load order of 300 and the AE extension has a load order of 99, the WH extension is loaded last. So, the WH extension ends up replacing the "char_weapon" windowclass' script causing the AE extension to no longer function. I knew the fix was to simply use WinMerge and copy the differences in the AE extension into the WH extension. Once this was done, Intruder did not have a problem running both extensions.

Now, st4lk3r87 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?43440-st4lk3r87) will have to monitor the Advanced Affects extension and copy any changes in the "char_weapon" script to the "char_weapon" script in the Weapon Handling extension. Again, this can be done easily using WinMerge. However, I will post a tutorial showing how to do this because sometimes it can be tricky.

Below is the extension with the fixed "/campaign/scripts/char_weapon.lua" file (Please note that I updated the version to 1.3.1):

st4lk3r87
July 17th, 2019, 23:01
Okay! After working with Intruder (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?53150-Intruder), I have solved the problems between the Weapon Handling (WH) and Advanced Effects (AE) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)) extensions. Both extensions replace the "char_weapon" windowclass' script. Because the WH extension has a load order of 300 and the AE extension has a load order of 99, the WH extension is loaded last. So, the WH extension ends up replacing the "char_weapon" windowclass' script causing the AE extension to no longer function. I knew the fix was to simply use WinMerge and copy the differences in the AE extension into the WH extension. Once this was done, Intruder did not have a problem running both extensions.

Now, st4lk3r87 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?43440-st4lk3r87) will have to monitor the Advanced Affects extension and copy any changes in the "char_weapon" script to the "char_weapon" script in the Weapon Handling extension. Again, this can be done easily using WinMerge. However, I will post a tutorial showing how to do this because sometimes it can be tricky.

Below is the extension with the fixed "/campaign/scripts/char_weapon.lua" file (Please note that I updated the version to 1.3.1):

I remember I did something similar the first time I implemented the extension. Could this be related to some of the new updates of Advanced Effects?

Valerian Stormbreaker
July 17th, 2019, 23:35
I remember I did something similar the first time I implemented the extension. Could this be related to some of the new updates of Advanced Effects?

It's definitely possible. Without having a revision history of that file, it's impossible to tell. The changes I made will be tested live tonight if the session happens. So, we'll know for sure if everything continues to work as it should. However, examining the actual code, there's no reason why the merged changes shouldn't have worked for you. Perhaps you missed something in the initial merge if you did it manually?

st4lk3r87
July 17th, 2019, 23:52
It's definitely possible. Without having a revision history of that file, it's impossible to tell. The changes I made will be tested live tonight if the session happens. So, we'll know for sure if everything continues to work as it should. However, examining the actual code, there's no reason why the merged changes shouldn't have worked for you. Perhaps you missed something in the initial merge if you did it manually?

Yes it could be. I'll take a look at the changes. I should have a local repo of those changes. I want to thank you for the support to the extension! This community is very cool!

Valerian Stormbreaker
July 18th, 2019, 00:23
Yes it could be. I'll take a look at the changes. I should have a local repo of those changes. I want to thank you for the support to the extension! This community is very cool!

Np! I really like this extension and when Intruder had to disable it because of conflicts, I knew I had to see what I could do to solve the problem. ;)

Valerian Stormbreaker
July 18th, 2019, 03:25

It was tested in a live session tonight, and the fix I made works! So, you might want to update your extension code and post an update in the OP so everyone can enjoy Advanced Effects and Weapon Handling. ;)

st4lk3r87
July 18th, 2019, 20:35
It was tested in a live session tonight, and the fix I made works! So, you might want to update your extension code and post an update in the OP so everyone can enjoy Advanced Effects and Weapon Handling. ;)

Nice! I'll try to merge the changes and put them in the first post. Thank you again.

st4lk3r87
July 18th, 2019, 20:47

Now i think I know what happens. I was trying to run the advanced effect code on a new function

function runAdvancedEffectCode(rActor, nodeWeapon)
if Extension.getExtensionInfo("AdvancedEffects") ~= nil then
-- add itemPath to rActor so that when effects are checked we can
-- make compare against action only effects
local _, sRecord = DB.getValue(nodeWeapon, "shortcut", "", "");
rActor.itemPath = sRecord;
end
end

Maybe the extra check I added to run the code only if that extension is enabled doesn't work as expected ( Extension.getExtensionInfo("AdvancedEffects") ).

What I mean is that I don't want to run the Advanced Effect code if a user doesn't have that extension enabled. It's not correct. I'll investigate a bit more.

Valerian Stormbreaker
July 18th, 2019, 20:56
Now i think I know what happens. I was trying to run the advanced effect code on a new function

function runAdvancedEffectCode(rActor, nodeWeapon)
if Extension.getExtensionInfo("AdvancedEffects") ~= nil then
-- add itemPath to rActor so that when effects are checked we can
-- make compare against action only effects
local _, sRecord = DB.getValue(nodeWeapon, "shortcut", "", "");
rActor.itemPath = sRecord;
end
end

Maybe the extra check I added to run the code only if that extension is enabled doesn't work as expected ( Extension.getExtensionInfo("AdvancedEffects") ).

What I mean is that I don't want to run the Advanced Effect code if a user doesn't have that extension enabled. It's not correct. I'll investigate a bit more.

That's an easy fix too. I can use WinMerge to identify the differences between AE and WH and run the AE code if it is enabled.

st4lk3r87
July 18th, 2019, 21:05
Mmmh. Actually I can't reproduce the bug with the source version.

I'm giving a Longsword to the character, adding the effect "Savage Attack; DMG: 1d6 critical", doing a crit and everything works as expected. :(

Valerian Stormbreaker
July 18th, 2019, 21:31
Mmmh. Actually I can't reproduce the bug with the source version.

I'm giving a Longsword to the character, adding the effect "Savage Attack; DMG: 1d6 critical", doing a crit and everything works as expected. :(

We did test it. However, if you truly want to exclude AE code when it is not loaded, then drop this into the extension! It is a version of the char_weapon.lua that does what you want. I already did preliminary testing with these new changes.

st4lk3r87
July 18th, 2019, 21:41
That's an easy fix too. I can use WinMerge to identify the differences between AE and WH and run the AE code if it is enabled.

Wait! Maybe I got it. Is the host renaming the extension file? Is the name different from "AdvancedEffects.ext" ?

st4lk3r87
July 18th, 2019, 21:47
We did test it. However, if you truly want to exclude AE code when it is not loaded, then drop this into the extension! It is a version of the char_weapon.lua that does what you want. I already did preliminary testing with these new changes.

Ok I see. I totally miss those if statements for the strength stat earlier. Probably those have been added later in the Advanced Effects extension.

The problem will still be there if the AdvancedEffects file is renamed but I guess it's ok for now.

Valerian Stormbreaker
July 18th, 2019, 21:48
Wait! Maybe I got it. Is the host renaming the extension file? Is the name different from "AdvancedEffects.ext" ?

No. The name of the extension remains the same. Even on my system I was having problems running both of them together because both extensions override the char_weapon.lua script used by the char_weapon windowclass.

<windowclass name="char_weapon" merge="join">
<script file="campaign/scripts/char_weapon.lua" merge="replace" />
</windowclass>

This is what is causing the problem. So, I merged AE's code into the char_weapon.lua file used by WH because WH loads after AE. The char_weapon.zip file I posted does what you want. It excludes the code ran by AE when it is not loaded. I only zipped the char_weapon.lua file. Check it out!

There were certain effects in AE that are not being processed. That is why it seems to work for you if you didn't test those specific effects. However, if you look at the code I posted in the .zip file, you will see where these effects get broken if the AE code isn't merged into the WH code.

Search for the variable m_bAdvancedEffects in the zipped up char_weapon.lua script. You'll see where the AE code is being ran if the AE extension is running.

st4lk3r87
July 18th, 2019, 22:00
No. The name of the extension remains the same. Even on my system I was having problems running both of them together because both extensions override the char_weapon.lua script used by the char_weapon windowclass.

<windowclass name="char_weapon" merge="join">
<script file="campaign/scripts/char_weapon.lua" merge="replace" />
</windowclass>

This is what is causing the problem. So, I merged AE's code into the char_weapon.lua file used by WH because WH loads after AE. The char_weapon.zip file I posted does what you want. It excludes the code ran by AE when it is not loaded. I only zipped the char_weapon.lua file. Check it out!

There were certain effects in AE that are not being processed. That is why it seems to work for you if you didn't test those specific effects. However, if you look at the code I posted in the .zip file, you will see where these effects get broken if the AE code isn't merged into the WH code.

Search for the variable m_bAdvancedEffects in the zipped up char_weapon.lua script. You'll see where the AE code is being ran if the AE extension is running.

Ok, could you give me an example of the bug? What effects doesn't work? I'm curious to see if there's a better solution to propose to the creator of AE.

Valerian Stormbreaker
July 18th, 2019, 22:09
Ok, could you give me an example of the bug? What effects doesn't work? I'm curious to see if there's a better solution to propose to the creator of AE.

Intruder tested the problems he was having and they are gone. I asked him what they were exactly, but they are caused because you missed some of the AE code. In the image below, which is from the new code I posted in the char_weapon.zip file, the left pane contains the code fixes I made, the right pane contains your original code:

https://i.imgur.com/iCrEOlg.png

st4lk3r87
July 18th, 2019, 22:11
Intruder tested the problems he was having and they are gone. I asked him what they were exactly, but they are caused because you missed some of the AE code. In the image below, the left pane contains the code fixes I made, the right pane contains your original code:

Yes I got it but I'd like to know what could cause the rAction.stat from being empty and why the Advanced Effect need that. Well nvm! The important part for now is to have a working extension :D I just uploaded and updated the first post.

Valerian Stormbreaker
July 18th, 2019, 22:16
Yes I got it but I'd like to know what could cause the rAction.stat from being empty and why the Advanced Effect need that. Well nvm! The important part for now is to have a working extension :D I just uploaded and updated the first post.

Once Intruder gets back to me, I'll let you know what effects were broken so you can test 'em. When code is missing, things don't work. So, when I noticed that the char_weapon.lua file was being overridden, I knew that the AE code needed to be merged into the WH code. Intruder did mention what the problem was originally, but that was a few moons ago...

Intruder
July 19th, 2019, 18:09
Hey Guys, This is the issue I was having....

I use Advanced Effects for placing Global and Item-Specific Effects, such as Racial and Archetype effects Globaly and any type of effect that is dependent on the Weapon/Item being used.
The Item dependent effects would work during testing when I, as DM, activated them, but in practice players could not get them to work, though Global effects did.

What I found was that disabling WH allowed item effects to function correctly. Valerians patch corrected the problem.

The other issue was Theogeeks most recent update prevented the IMMUNE and RESIST effects from working. After informing him of this, he re-posted a corrected version.

Ajantear
August 20th, 2019, 21:32
Hi, apologies if this has already been answered, as I have not read the whole thread. Does this also allow you to have two weapons of the same type in the actions panel? two short swords for example?

st4lk3r87
August 20th, 2019, 21:47
Hi, apologies if this has already been answered, as I have not read the whole thread. Does this also allow you to have two weapons of the same type in the actions panel? two short swords for example?
Hi Ajantear. No the extension doesn't deal with it. The question now is why you need it? What's your use case?

Ajantear
August 20th, 2019, 22:00
If I have 2 short swords in my inventory, only one will show in the actions tab. There is nothing (that I know of) to say both are in use (if there is I would love to know how, been struggling with this for ages).

The issue being of course, that if you used both only one would have the damage bonus, which I understand this addresses, but you still only have one entry on the actions panel.

st4lk3r87
August 20th, 2019, 22:17
If I have 2 short swords in my inventory, only one will show in the actions tab. There is nothing (that I know of) to say both are in use (if there is I would love to know how, been struggling with this for ages).

The issue being of course, that if you used both only one would have the damage bonus, which I understand this addresses, but you still only have one entry on the actions panel.

I understand. Well imo the problem is with the inventory system. Items with the same name are all stacked and considered as a singole equipped item. Not the best of the solution.

Killer931
August 20th, 2019, 23:24
In the inventory make it so you only have 1 shortsword. Rename it as: Swordsword 1 or right handed or whatever. Rename it so in the Actions Tab as well, then drag your second Swordsword in.
Bam, two shortswords. Might wanna rename the second one too.

Zacchaeus
August 21st, 2019, 01:39
In the inventory make it so you only have 1 shortsword. Rename it as: Swordsword 1 or right handed or whatever. Rename it so in the Actions Tab as well, then drag your second Swordsword in.
Bam, two shortswords. Might wanna rename the second one too.
I think the whole point of this extension was so you didn’t have to do that. I would not rename the weapon in the inventory and drag another one in since that means your carry weight will increase. You would just add a new weapon line in the actions tab to handle the off hand weapon. However, as I say, the point of this extension is to avoid that, but in the case of the two weapons being the same that is the only way to handle it.

Killer931
August 21st, 2019, 01:50
I think the whole point of this extension was so you didn’t have to do that. I would not rename the weapon in the inventory and drag another one in since that means your carry weight will increase. You would just add a new weapon line in the actions tab to handle the off hand weapon. However, as I say, the point of this extension is to avoid that, but in the case of the two weapons being the same that is the only way to handle it.

It would not increase the carryweight. Having two shortswords of the same weight doesn't make them weigh the same as one shortsword, if you want to uniquely swing two shortswords, one set to offhand, (My advice is just get two weapon fighting style so you don't have to) naming your second sword 'Off-hand Shortsword' and making it offhand in actions separately is the only way, unless you know how to punch in a new weapon attack in the actions tab, but if you don't, this is more convenient.

Just make sure the two swords named differently weigh the same and are counted as one each, which with some common sense you should of done anyhow. >:v

Now have fun playing the game.

st4lk3r87
August 21st, 2019, 01:52

The point of this extension is to change the way you are handling a weapon. It's slightly different.
I'm more used to videogame where if you are equipping two swords I would expect two separate actions.

Anyway there's a workaround so we're fine 😃

Zacchaeus
August 21st, 2019, 02:08
It would not increase the carryweight. Having two shortswords of the same weight doesn't make them weigh the same as one shortsword,.
Haha, yes of course. I was thinking versatile rather than two handed. Also it is 2am so things are fuzzy ��

theMaXX
November 18th, 2019, 15:09
Hello. How could i add the GW style? REROLL 2 effect only if wielding a weapon two handed?

LordEntrails
November 18th, 2019, 16:14
Hello. How could i add the GW style? REROLL 2 effect only if wielding a weapon two handed?
You can't. You can add an effect for GWM, but FG doesn't know if you are wielding a one-handed or a two handed weapon. Or, you can change the traits of the weapons that are two handed themselves. Depends on your preference.

mattekure
November 18th, 2019, 16:53
Yeah, your best bet is to create a version of the weapon specifically for 2H use with the REROLL property applied to it.

Omalus
December 7th, 2019, 22:17
Definitely downloading now! I added a "Take Shield Off" (AC:-2) action to all my PCs for when they switch one-two hands or off hands but the Weapons category was getting clumped up.

I'll add this to my collection for sure.

Greetings,

I am new to FG and have the following question:
How do I add "take Shield Off" (AC:-1) action? I have the versatile extension and love how it works, but want to make sure those using two hands for their weapon remove their shield from their AC during combat.

Cheers!

NuclearMonkey
December 7th, 2019, 23:12
I'm not sure you want to automate that since removing/adding a shield is an action. I've been having my players remove/add the shield manually on their turn to show an expended action.

mattekure
December 8th, 2019, 01:28
The "easy" way is to just have the player announce they are dropping their shield, then have them go to their inventory tab and mark it as not carried. that will remove the AC bonus. Then if they pick it up and equip it again, you just mark it equipped and your are done.

Omalus
December 8th, 2019, 02:47
Thank you fellow adventurers,

I thought there was an additional extension that removed the AC bonus automatically when selecting the versatile option on the action tab. I can see in the heat of battle it being forgot but that is the same when sitting around the table.

Cheers.

HuseyinCinar
December 8th, 2019, 09:45
I have a Standard Actions group in all PCs. "Doff Shield: AC:-2" is added to characters with shields. It's easier than going into the inventory and changing it. They click the effect and seeing the "Doff Shield" in Combat Tracker also helps clear confusions.

Omalus
December 9th, 2019, 04:39
Greetings HuseyinCinar,

How would I add that? I know how to create a new action in the actions tab; It gives me two fields to type in. What do I type into which field (left/right) so that it actually changes the AC of the PC clicking the action?

Cheers.

LordEntrails
December 9th, 2019, 05:45
Greetings HuseyinCinar,

How would I add that? I know how to create a new action in the actions tab; It gives me two fields to type in. What do I type into which field (left/right) so that it actually changes the AC of the PC clicking the action?

Cheers.
If you like videos, try one of these;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftram-fAQhY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU-qiAOpgb8&list=PLvtWYj3HpGj5yzVugpCeoUzxtJ0i906QG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=****66Wo_lE
(EDIT, lol, apparently the string for this one is the "f" worrd, lower case letters except the third letter upper case.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0DLYxqQNzE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU-qiAOpgb8&list=PLHp5zmdtCK12mP05CNYubXyeF_txkmBqr

Otherwise check out the "5E Effects" page on the wiki;
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

Omalus
December 9th, 2019, 06:01
You guys are awesome, thanks!

Trenloe
December 9th, 2019, 10:11
"Doff Shield: AC:-2" is added to characters with shields.
The correct syntax would be "Doff Shield; AC:-2" - note the semi-colon after Doff Shield. Otherwise this won't work correctly.

LeoKeros
March 28th, 2020, 19:53
Does this extension work in FGU?

LordEntrails
March 28th, 2020, 20:12
Does this extension work in FGU?
Probably. Any extension that does not alter or interact with images should. The community is dependent upon people trying it and then posting the results. So it would be great if you could do that for us :)

Knightmare86
April 15th, 2020, 14:31
Just wanted to say thanks for this,

also if its still being question if it runs with unity, it dose :)

rbtmatrix
April 19th, 2020, 22:56
So here is a thing I just noticed, in the FG chatlog, it reports the version of the extension as 1.0 I even double checked, deleted every instance of the ext file from my computer, re-downloaded the extension and it says weapon handling v1.0.

steev42
May 23rd, 2020, 23:48
So, this doesn't appear to be listed for me in my Unity 5E list, even though I (thought I) put it in the right spot. Is there something I have to do to get it to show up?

Zacchaeus
May 24th, 2020, 09:08
So, this doesn't appear to be listed for me in my Unity 5E list, even though I (thought I) put it in the right spot. Is there something I have to do to get it to show up?

It's called 5e - Weapon Handling in the list; so not easy to spot.

Majestik Moose
May 29th, 2020, 17:08
I've been running this extension in Unity for a few weeks now. Not had any issues.

WinterSoldier7
June 23rd, 2020, 12:02
As someone who hasn't played around with FGU too much yet, how does it deal with double-handed attacks without the extension?

GavinRuneblade
June 23rd, 2020, 17:30
As someone who hasn't played around with FGU too much yet, how does it deal with double-handed attacks without the extension?

same way as people who don't use the extension: make two weapons and pick which one to click. It is just like a dagger. When you equip one notice you have two options for melee and range. Just like that but one is d6 and the other is d8 and you have to create the second one.

0m0n
June 24th, 2020, 01:07
There appears to also be a conflict with Kent McCullough (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?62515-kentmccullough)'s extension Automatic Flanking and Range (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/314487/Fantasy-Grounds-Automatic-Flanking-and-Range) for ranged attacks. It won't apply the disadvantage for attacks beyond normal range with this extension enabled.

TXCBoy36
June 24th, 2020, 04:27
I created this little extension to get rid of the several copies of the same weapons in the action tab ( 3 longswords, 2 daggers, 2 battleaxes and so on )
It provides a new button to identify the weapon attack as 1-handed, 2-handed or offhand.

In 2-handed mode if the weapon has a Versatile property the new damage will override the base damage dice. ( Longsword, Battleaxe, Quarterstaff )
In off-hand mode the ability score modifier is not applied to the damage.
It's also possible to enable the "Two-weapon fighting style" to ignore the previous rule.
One-handed mode is the default behaviour ( nothing change )

https://i.imgur.com/Jwc1Ujr.png https://i.imgur.com/zjbppS2.png?2

https://i.imgur.com/eY74KhQ.png https://i.imgur.com/U7xPN9Y.png

https://youtu.be/T4PF0C1pmLs

Possible issues:
I was aware of 2 main conflicts with other extensions: "5e Action Abilities" and "Advanced Effects". I managed to let them work with some workaround. I'm not sure if there could be more problems.

Further consideration: I don't like the icons i'm using at all! If you like this extension and you come up with better ideas let me know please!

======

Weapon Handling v1.3.1 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27969&d=1563484156)

Changelog

Version 1.0.0

First implementation

Version 1.1.0

Change offhand attack icon. ( Red and rotated of 45 degrees ).

Version 1.1.1

Fix: Versatile property was ignored when other properties are specified.

Version 1.2.0

Add: Handling restriction. You can only use the proper handling based on the weapon property.
Add: Options to disable Handling restriction and go back to the previous functionality.
Add: Dual Wielder option in "Weapon Meta"

Version 1.3.0

Add: Attack type restriction. You can only use the proper attack type based on the weapon property.
Add: Finesse weapon functionality.
Remove: Old logs.

Version 1.3.1

Fix: Improved code to support the Advanced Effect extension ( thanks to Valerian Stormbreaker and Intruder )

Works great!!!

Milmoor
June 24th, 2020, 11:50
I saw a thread the other day how to let extensions cooperate better. That seemed like a more elegant solution than replicating the code of Advanced Effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)). But of course I cant’t find it right now. Will update when I do.

Will try this extension, it sounds very promising.

TXCBoy36
June 25th, 2020, 06:37
Here you go....

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)

Milmoor
June 25th, 2020, 07:04
I saw a thread the other day how to let extensions cooperate better. That seemed like a more elegant solution than replicating the code of Advanced Effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)). But of course I cant’t find it right now. Will update when I do.

Will try this extension, it sounds very promising.
Found it: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?39930-How-to-Avoid-or-Mitigate-Extension-Conflicts-(or-Collisions)

EllivasKram
July 30th, 2020, 07:36
Is it me but the link for download in post #1 is v1.0.0 of this extension and post #50 is where you obtain v1.3.1

Can you edit #1. I can’t be the only person thinking why does it always load as v1.

ThingsCouldGetDicey
August 6th, 2020, 17:48
could you put this up on dmsguild so i can get notifications of when its updated?

Naurthoron
August 6th, 2020, 17:51
could you put this up on dmsguild so i can get notifications of when its updated?

You could simply subscribe to this thread to get update notifications.

ThingsCouldGetDicey
August 6th, 2020, 17:54
You could simply subscribe to this thread to get update notifications.

yeh but ill just got messages upon messages with nothing related to the updates. with dmsguild ill just get the update ready to download.

LordEntrails
August 6th, 2020, 22:44
Note, if the OP choses to move or post this to the DMsGuild they need to be aware of the implications to the CCA and how that will effect their intellectual property rights. Including that they will no longer be able to distribute this anywhere else, ever.

Knaarke
August 14th, 2020, 09:49
Hey, first off great work. As most of my players are using weapons as their main combat tool this will help them a lot.

I just have one question if this displaying bug(Checkboxes) could be solved without much effort (as it is more a luxury problem)

ShaunB
September 27th, 2020, 22:15
Working great in FGU! Thanks a lot. I'm amazed this isn't a built in feature

Roach
October 5th, 2020, 09:24
@ThingsCouldGetDicey: why not use Mad Nomad's 3rd Party Updater - available on DMG here (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/327667/Mad-Nomads-3rd-Party-Updater?affiliate_id=188530) for PWYW?

fooman
October 30th, 2020, 23:43
Have a suggestion for additional functionality (if it is feasible) in line with the elimination of "redundant copies of the same weapon" issue that this extension handles so cleanly.

Adding a Great Weapon Fighting Style toggle to the "Weapon Meta" to add the reroll 2 property to 2-handed weapons or Versatile weapons when wielded two-handed. It is the latter that is most useful as at present when using the extension there is not a way to add the reroll property to one toggle of the Versatile weapon without applying it to the other.

My 6 person campaign has been using this mod and love it. Totally makes the character inventories and action tabs so much cleaner. The dual and two weapon functionality was also specifically useful for my group. Great work solving this problem.

eriktedesco
November 7th, 2020, 13:22
Hi all!! For some reason, the latest update of FGU seems to have reintroduced compatibility issues between this extension and advanced effect.

I have tried both extension in a vanilla situation (no extension or module loaded, except for Weapon handling and Advanced Effects).

When Advanced Effect is turned off, Weapon Handling works smoothly, but when I turn on AE, WH doesn't recognize between one-handed and two-handed for versatile weapons.

Is it possible to make them compatible again?

Thanks a lot for your hard work!

Laerun
December 8th, 2020, 21:53
This is now a core function within the DnD5e rulest in FGU. I have not tested FGC.

eriktedesco
December 8th, 2020, 21:59
So weapon handling extension is not needed anymore in FGU?

Can I turn it off?

Moon Wizard
December 8th, 2020, 22:22
Any extension can be turned on/off at the FGU launch screen before loading the campaign on the GM machine.

Regards,
JPG

Temmpest
December 8th, 2020, 22:55
This is now a core function within the DnD5e rulest in FGU. I have not tested FGC.

What's a core function? Weapon handling or Advanced Effect?

Moon Wizard
December 8th, 2020, 22:57
The following was added to base 5E ruleset today:

* Ability to specify which hand(s) a PC weapon is used in (Primary, Two Hands, Off-Hand)
* Ability to specify Two Weapon Fighting Style in weapon section details
* Support for Versatile and Off-Hand damage calculations, based on the options above.

Regards,
JPG

Naurthoron
December 8th, 2020, 23:18
Do I understand well that this extension is therefore not useful anymore ans that its functionalities have been fully integrated?
This is very nice!

Temmpest
December 8th, 2020, 23:26

* Ability to specify which hand(s) a PC weapon is used in (Primary, Two Hands, Off-Hand)
* Support for Versatile and Off-Hand damage calculations, based on the options above.

Regards,
JPG

Any chance there will be a video explaining how this will work?

Moon Wizard
December 8th, 2020, 23:37
I believe this extension does more in terms of "enforcing" values on the type/hands fields; which I do not do in the built-in code by design.

Regards,
JPG

Speculi
December 8th, 2020, 23:41

Regards,
JPG

Not sure where this should be reported, but since you already answered above:
Didn't do a comprehensive test, but it seems to me like offhand doesn't work as intended. It seems like only ranged weapons and versatile weapons can be properly set to "offhand". All others keep the damage bonus. (Tried with dagger and scimitar.)

Yes, the extension did more in enforcing the rules. The extension did actually check if the weapon was versatile, or light (unless you had the dual wielding feat) before it allowed to use it in offhand/two handed.

Temmpest
December 8th, 2020, 23:56
Oh boy. Almost deleted the extension.

Moon Wizard
December 9th, 2020, 00:08
Looks like it's working to me (see video). And enforcement is not done by design.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MTKWVFFYCp78KCdVxYEMifUsS7ObIuzz/view?usp=sharing

Regards,
JPG

mattekure
December 9th, 2020, 01:41
It appears to work for me.

In the top pic, two weapon fighting style is not selected, and the offhand weapon does not include stat bonus for damage. In the bottom one two weapon style is selected, and the damage includes the stat bonus.

https://imgur.com/b85ESsd.jpg

delgondahntelius
December 9th, 2020, 05:26
Looks like it's working to me (see video). And enforcement is not done by design.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MTK...ew?usp=sharing

Regards,
JPG

In the video, when you switch the battle axe to Two Hands, it looks as if the damage goes from 2d8+3 to 1d10+1d8+3 ... is there something about battle axes I am missing? don't they do 1d8 1 handed and 1d10 two handed? Or is there some kind of magic bonus we are not seeing on this particular battle axe?

Badger1017

ironsplitter
December 9th, 2020, 06:32
Same for me. With all extensions off, the Off-Hand status does not remove the ability modifier from the damage on all weapons. And Two Weapon Fighting Style is NOT toggled. From my tests:
If weapon has no properties: removes damage bonus
If weapon has volatile, two handed, ranged: removed damage bonus
Otherwise: NO

I see on the vide that Moon Wizard posted he is using daggers, but that definitely does not work for me.

Moon Wizard
December 9th, 2020, 07:01
@delgondahntelius,
It was my special "test" battle axe that had more than one die.

@ironsplitter,
Please disable all extensions before testing. There has already been at least one extension identified which replaces some of the scripts, so the changes don't get picked up.

Regards,
JPG

ironsplitter
December 9th, 2020, 07:11
Hi MoonWizard,

All extensions are off except for a decal. I'm on Fantasy Grounds Classic btw.

There must be other things going on, because it works for SOME characters. It looks like if I add a dagger to a character that never had a dagger in their inventory before, then make the dagger off-hand, it works as expected. However, the off-hand effect doesn't work on daggers for characters that already had them. For those characters, if I remove the dagger from the inventory and add them back on it still doesn't work.

I don't know, probably a coincidence, but noting it anyway.

Thanks

Naurthoron
December 9th, 2020, 09:02
Same issue, brand new rogue character, no extension loaded at all, dagger offhand and two weapon fighting style disabled: ability damage modifier is still applied to offhand when it should not.

Milmoor
December 9th, 2020, 12:03
I think troubleshooting this should be done in https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53217-5E-Bug-reports-(2020)? Since it has nothing to do with the original extension?

Naurthoron
December 9th, 2020, 12:22
The thread seems to be actually here for the integrated functionality issue: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?64299-Primary-hand-action

Eroc999
December 10th, 2020, 04:32
Was working fine for me until I updated FGU today. Now, when using two-handed, I get a script execution error: [string 'campaign/scripts/char_weapon.lua]: 343 attempt to call field 'hasWeaponProperty' (a nil value)

LordQ96
December 10th, 2020, 17:34
Was working fine for me until I updated FGU today. Now, when using two-handed, I get a script execution error: [string 'campaign/scripts/char_weapon.lua]: 343 attempt to call field 'hasWeaponProperty' (a nil value)

They have naturally put it in FGU now.. this Ext is no longer needed.

blazingwebs
December 10th, 2020, 18:04
I disagree. The Unity functionality does not work as intended and is rather ugly to boot. I'd love to have this EXT working again...

pablomaz
December 10th, 2020, 18:15
I disagree. The Unity functionality does not work as intended and is rather ugly to boot. I'd love to have this EXT working again...

It doesn't work as intended? Why not? Honest question.

blazingwebs
December 10th, 2020, 18:19
Offhand weapon DMG isn't calculated correctly. Plus cycling thru the 3 options causes "hinky" results sometimes. I'm sure it'll get sorted out, but the look/feel of the EXT was really good.

pablomaz
December 10th, 2020, 18:24
Offhand weapon DMG isn't calculated correctly. Plus cycling thru the 3 options causes "hinky" results sometimes. I'm sure it'll get sorted out, but the look/feel of the EXT was really good.

I see.
Well, we have to wait a bit. They will figure it out...

Foxdeceir
December 21st, 2020, 07:38
Hi

It's currently bugging out on Unity, with the dice roll section of weapons, blanking out.

EllivasKram
December 21st, 2020, 07:45
This extn is now redundant isn’t it. Replaced by built in unity functionality.

I have removed this extn from extns loaded now. And working fine enough. Some dev work is to be made to fix some issues with the built in functionality.

Roach
December 21st, 2020, 10:10
Hi

It's currently bugging out on Unity, with the dice roll section of weapons, blanking out.

I had it happen yesterday, tests showed it was an extension (IIRC Advanced Effects, but I could be mistaken) causing this.

Sabrosa
December 24th, 2020, 14:26
Getting a similar issue in Classic where the damage for offhand is empty. Oddly enough, it's also happening on the Longbow.

Here's the script error I get when switching to the Actions tab.
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/char_weapon.lua"]:343: attempt to call field 'hasWeaponProperty' (a nil value)
Ruleset Warning: window: Unable to locate control (leftanchor) specified in insertbefore attribute for control (handling) in windowclass (char_weapon)
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/char_weapon.lua"]:362: attempt to call field 'hasWeaponAbility' (a nil value)
Ruleset Warning: window: Unable to locate control (leftanchor) specified in insertbefore attribute for control (handling) in windowclass (char_weapon)

Update:
After disabling the extension in Classic, it looks as though the functionality is now implemented in Classic as well.

Aedus Amaterasu
December 25th, 2020, 20:13
Getting a similar issue in Classic where the damage for offhand is empty. Oddly enough, it's also happening on the Longbow.

Here's the script error I get when switching to the Actions tab.
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/char_weapon.lua"]:343: attempt to call field 'hasWeaponProperty' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/char_weapon.lua"]:362: attempt to call field 'hasWeaponAbility' (a nil value)

Update:
After disabling the extension in Classic, it looks as though the functionality is now implemented in Classic as well.

Ya it is, but for me the button on the actions tab changes when you click it but it doesn't seem to work correctly though. The button icon changes but nothing else. Damage on the weapon stays the same. Is it working correctly for you?

Zacchaeus
December 26th, 2020, 09:53
Ya it is, but for me the button on the actions tab changes when you click it but it doesn't seem to work correctly though. The button icon changes but nothing else. Damage on the weapon stays the same. Is it working correctly for you?

Versatile and two handed fighting is now handled by the ruleset. If you use this extension you will likely get conflicts and errors - and the extension is therefore unlikely to work.

Aedus Amaterasu
December 27th, 2020, 01:31
Versatile and two handed fighting is now handled by the ruleset. If you use this extension you will likely get conflicts and errors - and the extension is therefore unlikely to work.

I just wanted to make sure it was fully implemented into the ruleset cause I removed this ext and the button isn't working. So my guess is it is prolly another ext causing a problem for me.

badgr
January 31st, 2021, 03:44
I just wanted to make sure it was fully implemented into the ruleset cause I removed this ext and the button isn't working. So my guess is it is prolly another ext causing a problem for me.

I was having this issue also. it's AdvancedEffects or something similar. Basically, any extension that's replacing and overriding the functionality of `char_weapon.lua` in the 5E ruleset. As far as I can see (in limited testing) AdvancedEffects doesn't actually *need* to override this file and so far I've disabled the extension from calling AE's record_char_weapon override where it loads the script file. Might break something else on that extension, but so far so good...?

I've got AE working alongside the 5E's weapon handling features for the time being, but that was definitely the culprit for me.

Sabrosa
February 1st, 2021, 19:11

We actually didn't get back to playing until this past week. I'll have to verify this week, but I think everything was ok with this.

DustyLensCap42
February 21st, 2021, 23:37
Having an issue where all the weapons in the actions tab are coming up with a zero value in To Hit and Damage sections. The problem went away when I switched this extension off. I do use a lot of other extensions though. I really do enjoy your extension and want to say thanks for all the hard work! I tried switching off some other extensions first, one at a time, I marked those with a checkmark ✓ below so you know they've already been tested. Let me know if there's anything further I could do to help.

Here's my Error Log:

Runtime Notice: Host session started
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_actor2_bat.lua"]:7: attempt to index global 'ActorManager2' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/char_weapon.lua"]:250: attempt to index global 'ActorManager2' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/char_weapon.lua"]:250: attempt to index global 'ActorManager2' (a nil value)

And here's the list of other Extensions I had switched on at the time:

Custom Damage Manager ✓
Enhanced Spell Window ✓
Portals REVAMPED
5e - Advanced Effects
5e - Automatic Critical Damage
5e - Automatic Death Resistance
5e - Automatic Elemental Adept
5e - Automatic Flanking and Range
5e - Automatic Halfling Luck
5e - Automatic Lingering Effects
5e - Automatic Mirror Image
5e - Automatic Pack Tactics
5e - Automatic Return Damage
5e - Automatic Save Advantage
5e - Automatic Shield Master
5e - Automatic Sneak Attack
5e - Automatic Spell Resistance
5e - Blindsight and Truesight
5e - Coin Converter
5e - Miss Flavor Text
5e - More Monster Filters
5e - Ongoing Save Effects
5e - Rob2e - Next Level XP Automation
5e - Roll For Initiative!
5e - Turn Based Effects
5e - Weapon Handling
5e Attunement Tracker
5e Elven Accuracy
5e Extension - NPC flavors
5e Modifier Buttons A
5e Random Treasure Generator
CoreRPG - Death Indicator
CoreRPG - Has Initiative Indicator
CoreRPG - Ready Check
Dungeons and Demogorgons
Feature: CT Open on Turn
LAE: Expanded Options
Mad Nomad’s Automatic Actions Tab ✓
Mad Nomad’s Character Sheet Tweaks ✓
Mad Nomad’s Coin Manager ✓
Mad Nomad’s Enhanced Encounter Window ✓
Mad Nomad’s Filterable Inventory ✓
NPC Maker 5e
NPC Random Treasure Drops
Shops
Syrinscape Sounds
Use Up Powers
Waterdeep Decals

DustyLensCap42
February 21st, 2021, 23:53

This is really good to know, is the extension unnecessary then?

BTW, thanks for all the really great videos on YouTube! They really helped my group of 14 players get the ball rolling to online D&D when Covid hit us in March.

SmackDaddy
February 22nd, 2021, 00:06
Having an issue where all the weapons in the actions tab are coming up with a zero value in To Hit and Damage sections. The problem went away when I switched this extension off. I do use a lot of other extensions though. I really do enjoy your extension and want to say thanks for all the hard work! I tried switching off some other extensions first, one at a time, I marked those with a checkmark ✓ below so you know they've already been tested. Let me know if there's anything further I could do to help.

Here's my Error Log:

Runtime Notice: Host session started
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_actor2_bat.lua"]:7: attempt to index global 'ActorManager2' (a nil value)

And here's the list of other Extensions I had switched on at the time:

Custom Damage Manager ✓
Enhanced Spell Window ✓
Portals REVAMPED
5e - Advanced Effects
5e - Automatic Critical Damage
5e - Automatic Death Resistance
5e - Automatic Elemental Adept
5e - Automatic Flanking and Range
5e - Automatic Halfling Luck
5e - Automatic Lingering Effects
5e - Automatic Mirror Image
5e - Automatic Pack Tactics
5e - Automatic Return Damage
5e - Automatic Save Advantage
5e - Automatic Shield Master
5e - Automatic Sneak Attack
5e - Automatic Spell Resistance
5e - Blindsight and Truesight
5e - Coin Converter
5e - Miss Flavor Text
5e - More Monster Filters
5e - Ongoing Save Effects
5e - Rob2e - Next Level XP Automation
5e - Roll For Initiative!
5e - Turn Based Effects
5e - Weapon Handling
5e Attunement Tracker
5e Elven Accuracy
5e Extension - NPC flavors
5e Modifier Buttons A
5e Random Treasure Generator
CoreRPG - Death Indicator
CoreRPG - Has Initiative Indicator
CoreRPG - Ready Check
Dungeons and Demogorgons
Feature: CT Open on Turn
LAE: Expanded Options
Mad Nomad’s Automatic Actions Tab ✓
Mad Nomad’s Character Sheet Tweaks ✓
Mad Nomad’s Coin Manager ✓
Mad Nomad’s Enhanced Encounter Window ✓
Mad Nomad’s Filterable Inventory ✓
NPC Maker 5e
NPC Random Treasure Drops
Shops
Syrinscape Sounds
Use Up Powers
Waterdeep Decals

Are you sure you didn't have Brach9's Advanced Weapon Damage loaded to get that error -- only time I saw this error was brach9's adv wep dmg, and after updating, it went away....

DustyLensCap42
February 22nd, 2021, 00:52
Are you sure you didn't have Brach9's Advanced Weapon Damage loaded to get that error -- only time I saw this error was brach9's adv wep dmg, and after updating, it went away....

I did not. Never seen that extension before. Maybe some of that program's code is similar to another extension I'm using, but with 5e Weapon Handling disabled I'm no longer having any issues. I also disabled LAE: Expanded Options after finding out it too no longer functions.

Psloni
December 14th, 2022, 22:05
is this still being maintained? I get an error an error:

Handler error: [string "WeaponHandling'...gn/scripts/char_weapon.lua"]:241: attempt to call field 'getActor' (a nil value)

I have no other extensions running.

FGU DND 5E

NuclearMonkey
December 15th, 2022, 00:23
This functionality is part of fgu now. The extension is not needed.