PDA

View Full Version : MoreCore Rolling Rules Questions

Ravenousfire
January 6th, 2019, 01:45
I picked up the MC .pak today and was playing around with making a template character sheet for running D6 Star Wars.

I saw that within the rolls rules there is a /weg d6 roll, that will allow for the wild die rolls...however I have having an issue with it.

I wanted to make a Dexterity check. Dexterity is 3d6, 2d6 rolled regularly, and add the 1d6 wild die. However, when it rolls, any and all 6's reroll for a bonus. Crit fails only happen on the very first die rolled. I am unsure why all d6's reroll, as there is only supposed to be one wild die.

I tried referencing rolls and doing a few things to get only 1d6 to roll as the wild die, but to no success as of yet.

Any Help would be appreciated.

Edit: Also after testing some more, because the wild die can be any die, you can roll a 1 and a 6 on different die, and critically fail and succeed in the same roll...

damned
January 6th, 2019, 03:17
Hey Ravenous Fire I build the scripts based on the info provided to me.
Sometimes my interpretation is wonky - more often Im not told exactly the right info - it seems many games have people interpret how rolls wok differently...

If you can clarify exactly how it should work AND have someone corroborate I will update it...

The other way way to do this at the moment (I think this works from my testing) is any of these:
/weg 1d6+2d1006
/weg 1d6+2d2006
/weg 1d6+2d3006
/weg 1d6+2d4006

And if you have modifiers then use the Paremetised Rolls feature.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25830

Ravenousfire
January 6th, 2019, 03:24
Damned, thanks for the response. I will try those out. Also, completely understand that things can get out of whack with everyone's interpretations of the rules and data provided.

Would Text directly from the WEG rulebook work to back me up? :)
Edit: The text here is actually fairly clear on how the Wild Die works, more than I remembered it being.

Ravenousfire
January 6th, 2019, 03:25
*Double Post*

Ravenousfire
January 6th, 2019, 03:57
Ok Damned you were right on the money. That works exactly as intended, and being able to set the non-wild die colors is great! I will explain this to my players, they might not be able to read the totals on their character sheet, but I might just have them put (p1) there as a reminder of their total ability / skill score.

damned
January 6th, 2019, 10:31
You can enable the Ps and not link them.
If the Wegs need to compare the result against an attribute score I can make that happen too...

Ravenousfire
January 7th, 2019, 02:29
One of my players and I were working around with it last night, and this is what we came up with. It seems to work fine, and it makes the wild die a different color, and with making a standard roll, my players can drop the rolls on to their character sheet and just link the attribute and all should work fine. Also the ability to create rollable tables is awesome, I setup a few last night. D6 Star Wars has tons of those. Roll Examples below.

The one thing I am looking at next, is how to do multiple action penalties. Basically you get 1 free action, and then if you want to do more than 1 action, you need to subtract 1D6 from every dice total, for every action after the first.

Example: Kylo wants to attack with his lightsaber twice, and melee parry to defend this round. Kylo has a 6D6 Lightsaber skill, and a 5D6 melee parry skill. Kylo has a -2D6 penalty because he wants to take 2 additional actions.

So his two lightsaber swings would roll at 4D6 and his melee parry would roll at 3D6.

Star Wars D6 turn order is also a little wonky compared to modern RPG games. Basically everyone cycles through their 1st set of actions, then they cycled through their 2nd set, and so on, until everyone is out of actions, then the turn is over.

damned
January 7th, 2019, 02:38
There is no support in any of the rolls or in the pools for a -ive dice number im afraid.
I think the easiest way would be to adjust the roll with the p1 fields at that time...

For Turns... You cold use Manual Turns (or whatever i have called them)... tick everyone off as they have their first round - then ask - who has 2nd actions - an uncheck those and then check them off as they go and repeat until no one has actions left?
Could possibly make another Initiative option in the future with Pips...

Ravenousfire
January 7th, 2019, 03:36
I am going to try doing this another way, I think I may pitch them the idea of having a -5 or -6 GM modifier per extra action to their rolls for multiple actions, I think I can make it an effect, and just set it to -5, -10, -15, -20 etc. and let them roll their total die pool. I feel like it would be almost as effective as removing die from the die pools, maybe I will make a house rule that you can only take up to 4 actions in a turn or something, to keep it from getting out of hand.

Ravenousfire
January 7th, 2019, 03:55
*Double Post*

The reply window copying my last reply is messing me up, I think that I just left it down there and didn't reply when I see it again...

Ravenousfire
January 7th, 2019, 08:07
Damned, so a friend and I were looking at the rolls scripts to see if we could find a way to create a local variable that we could call Action Modifier or Multi-Action Modifier but we sort of came to a dead end.

We were wondering if it would be possible to insert a local variable into the roll command before the dice roll is made, and basically cut that process short by the value of the number manually set in the field associated to it.

Example1 - sParams returns the string match, and says 6D6 will be rolled, the local variable (MultiActionMod) is set to 1 and then either the roll value is interrupted 1 value short, or 1 value is removed before the roll command is made.

Example2 - sParams returns the string match for 6d6 with a referenced roll c1 /multiAction which has a value of 1d6, which modifies the die total value down by 1.

Both of us are unfamiliar with .lua and we don't really understand how the whole web is constructed, but these are the ideas we had from a few hours of looking into the files. We were unsure of where the base roll function resides, so we haven't experimented with getting this to work yet.

Our main issue I think is that we're used to seeing numerical values in relationship to database programming and being able to do math on values to return, but all of these are setup as strings which made us have to think sideways some.

*edit: should we move this thread over to the CoreRpg forum page?*

damned
January 7th, 2019, 13:03
Im afraid I really dont understand your question(s).
There is no way to cut short the roll process but Im not sure that is what you are asking...

Ravenousfire
January 7th, 2019, 14:54
I understand that the current coding doesn't allow what I am looking for, to remove dice from a dice pool or die roll.

Ok, one of my questions is answered, there's no way to interrupt the die roll early to drop die.

Maybe I should go back to more basic questions to get a better idea of what is happening.

How does the roll manager numerically know how many dice to roll, when the sParams is a string field?

Does it convert part of that string back to a number and total them before rolling?

damned
January 7th, 2019, 23:17
You use some regex to split the string up and save the parts to various variable names.
Then if some of those need to be numbers you convert them to numbers (use tonumber())
And then you can get down to business...

Ravenousfire
January 8th, 2019, 18:00
Thanks for the info! I spent last night looking into some documentation about LUA to get familiar. If I have time I am going to try to come up with something tonight. Hopefully, I have gotten familiar enough to do what I am trying to do.