PDA

View Full Version : Dev. Support

Ludus Dominus
January 3rd, 2019, 21:59
This might not be the correct place to post this or the right title but I thought smiteworks would like to know my about my connectivity issue. I purchased FG threw steam a few years ago and loved it so I upgraded to the ultimate. I played for a few months when i first got it and could never host a game. I did the whole port forward thing and had no luck. Then I discovered the hamachi cheat/bypass, which was great but, of course can be limiting for those who can't afford a subscription service. So something happened to my Fantasy Grounds recently, I don't know what or when exactly, but it wouldn't update. I originally purchased FG threw steam for the 30$ range version. So naturally i tried the whole uninstalling FG, uninstalling steam to reinstall FG, ETC. But I ended up having to wipe my PC which is no big deal I only had game info that I clouded and a couple games. So when I reinstalled FG I used the free download from the FG store instead of steam and just entered my ultimate license key. Now I don't need Hamachi. My Ports are working correctly. I have switched internet equipment, had a stand alone router and modem at one time and have al new equipment now and have never been able to get the ports to work. So i guess it is either FG threw steam is an issue or the fact I bought FG threw steam and upgraded threw smite itself caused an issue. SO I recomend uninstalling FG threw steam and reinstalling it from smiteworks FG store and seeing if that clears up any port issue. others might be having. I could be an isolated situation but steam somehow could be causing the porting issue for some like it was me. Anyways, I just thought you guys would like to know. I am so happy right now!!

Zacchaeus
January 3rd, 2019, 22:10
Whether you buy via Steam or Smiteworks you get exactly the same software downloaded from Smiteworks. Steam is just a wrapper and has no bearing on whether you will or won't have issues with Port Forwarding.

FG should if all things are equal port forward itself via UPnP. Only if that doesn't work for whatever reason do you actually need to manually forward ports. In addition to port forwarding your network needs to be set to private and if you are using any kind of Anti virus or Malware or Spyware software that needs a rule to enable FG to communicate properly with the internet.

Exactly why you were unable to connect in the past is now a mystery but it will be one of those factors. Switching to a different router/modem setup will be the most likely reason why you can now connect either because the new one uses UPnP better or possibly your previous system had a separate router and modem which would have required some further steps to get Port Forwarding working correctly.

At any rate, good to hear that everything is now good. Happy Gaming.