PDA

View Full Version : Tool for importing character sheets from Roll20

DrFrank
January 2nd, 2019, 11:57
IMHO, The best way to use Roll20 is to use it for dynamic lighting AND use Fantasy Grounds for the Combat Tracker.
Fantasy Grounds has all of the session management tools I was using notebooks to facilitate.
Roll20 has an easy visual interface that also does Dynamic Lighting.

I need to manage using both tools.

The only problem is that character creation creates double entry, even though both tools have a export / import features.

Is there a tool for exporting between the JSON of Roll20 and the XML file that Fanatasy Grounds creates?

ALSO,

If the user interface would have an option for an analog die, that would be fabulous.

Matthew Colville asks for this feature here:

"It would be nice if this had an icon that said 'i accept dice as an input'" (https://youtu.be/28aaaoJTPwc?t=972)

That would be nice as a tool to allow another application, such as analog dice or Roll20 to roll the attack, yet allow the superior game engine decide what happens with the attack they chose.

My players are also wanting to return to rolling analog.

I can configure Roll20 to accept a numerical input instead of a die roll. Is there a way to get a plugin that would allow this?

Thanks for any help on either of these issues.

Zacchaeus
January 2nd, 2019, 12:42
Hi DrFrank, welcome to FG.

There's no such importing tool that I am aware of.

I don't understand the second question. What's an analog dice?

damned
January 2nd, 2019, 12:57
Turn on Manual Dice in options.

Trenloe
January 2nd, 2019, 14:51
Yep, turn on manual dice in the campaign options.

LordEntrails
January 2nd, 2019, 19:51
Someone was working on a JSON importer from Roll20, but, if I remember right, the problem was that the format from Roll20 wasn't consistent. i.e. since Roll20 has many different character sheets that can be used to create a 5E character, each one of those requires a different importer and the other part of the problem (if I remember) was no user conversant with Roll20 was willing/able to provide sample characters from each type of sheet used.

I think the discussion pretty much picks up here, but would require some more digging to get to the last discussion/results. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40736-NPC-Engineer&p=369750&viewfull=1#post369750

dberkompas
January 3rd, 2019, 03:24
This is interesting. Since I'm working on taking the JSON output from D&D Beyond, there's no reason why something similar couldn't be done with Roll20.

But as has already been mentioned, it would require us to either nail down a specific character sheet, or put in toggles that allow you to choose which character sheet you want to use.

Do you need a mentor account on Roll20 in order to get JSON output? I'm familiar with Roll20 character sheets, I created the one for Castles & Crusades.

Dave

Edit: I took a quick look, and I'm leaning towards: D&D 5E by Roll20

pindercarl
January 3rd, 2019, 14:55
I don't believe that Roll20 has a mechanism for exporting characters. You may want to take a look at the VTT Enhancement Suite. It's a browser extension to provide additional functionality, including import/export. https://ssstormy.github.io/roll20-enhancement-suite/ Since it is a browser extension, I don't think that a plus or pro account is necessary. The official 5E character sheet is the only one supported by their Charactermancer tool, so that would probably be the best candidate.

dberkompas
January 3rd, 2019, 16:19
I just tried that extension, and Roll20 crashes and the game refuses to load in Chrome.

Works in Firefox, so I'm going to run with that and see how far I get.

Since you can't directly access characters like you can in D&D Beyond, the user will either have to upload the file or copy/paste.

Dave