PDA

View Full Version : How do I set the Ability that a new Skill is based on?

Minty23185Fresh
January 1st, 2019, 18:22
If I add a new Skill to my campaign there doesn't seem to be a way to associate it with its corresponding Ability. It seems as though there should be an Ability field on the record editor.

In the following screenshot I have created a new Skill. But I can't associate it with an ability. There is no field to do so.

The entries in the Player's Handbook have such fields, here are the contents of the Acrobatics Skill when "disassembled" by some custom lua (note the "stat" field):

s'reference.skilldata.acrobatics.text@DD PHB Deluxe' | s'<p>Your Dexterity (Acrobatics) check...
s'reference.skilldata.acrobatics.stat@DD PHB Deluxe' | s'Dexterity'
s'reference.skilldata.acrobatics.name@DD PHB Deluxe' | s'Acrobatics'

Or I can glean the same information by dragging the Skill from the PHB to the (New) Group on the Skills Recordset Library dialog:

And then looking at the db.xml file:

Zacchaeus
January 1st, 2019, 19:03
Indeed. I just did some experimenting thinking it might pick up the stat from the wording (Your Intelligence (Awesome) check) but it doesn't. I don't know if this is intended, the implementation for adding an ability just wasn't added or whether there is a bug somewhere. But Moon Wizard will know.

Minty23185Fresh
January 2nd, 2019, 00:49
Indeed. I just did some experimenting thinking it might pick up the stat from the wording (Your Intelligence (Awesome) check) but it doesn't...
Thank for the confirmation Zacchaeus! I tried that too before submitting, sorry I should have mentioned it. It would have saved you some time.

Ya can work around this issue of course, by hand editing the db.xml file. But that’s a bit unfriendly :)

Trenloe
January 2nd, 2019, 05:37
The reference.skilldata... record is not used to construct the skill in the PC sheet. The reference record is primarily used to match the lookup when the link next to a skill is clicked - to provide additional informational data regarding the skill.

You could manually edit a skill record to add the ability, but then you'd need to drag/drop that skill record to every PC created to add that skill. This may be what you want, I don't know if you're wanting to add a new common skill that every PC has or a rare skill that only some have.

If you are looking at a common skill all PCs have, all of the base skills that are added when a PC is created are defined in the DataCommon.skilldata LUA table, this includes the ability the skill uses. More information on how to add custom skills in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34193-Ultramodern5-Suggestions