PDA

View Full Version : Max critical damage possible?

Nuncle
January 1st, 2019, 00:24
Greetings all!
I'm a noob to Fantasy Grounds, so I'm certain I'm asking something that's been asked before, but a search for the answer doesn't come up too readily for me :p
In my in-person games, I have a house rule that states a nat 20 always does max damage (Max the dice damage, double it, then add any modifers afterwards).
Is it possible to have FG take this into account when the players roll to hit? Obviously I don't want their weapons to max damage every hit, so is there a way to adjust the Attack Info to reflect the max damage when a 20 is rolled? Thanks in advance for any help with this (hopefully) simple problem! :D

celestian
January 1st, 2019, 01:27
Greetings all!
I'm a noob to Fantasy Grounds, so I'm certain I'm asking something that's been asked before, but a search for the answer doesn't come up too readily for me :p
In my in-person games, I have a house rule that states a nat 20 always does max damage (Max the dice damage, double it, then add any modifers afterwards).
Is it possible to have FG take this into account when the players roll to hit? Obviously I don't want their weapons to max damage every hit, so is there a way to adjust the Attack Info to reflect the max damage when a 20 is rolled? Thanks in advance for any help with this (hopefully) simple problem! :D

I don't think there is a toggle/effect to make that happen but it's possible with an extension. Someone could review what I've done in AD&D Core and take the options to do it. I've options for double, max, double dice or none.

Zacchaeus
January 1st, 2019, 01:39
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34431-New-Extension-TheoGeek-s-Improved-CriticalThis extension does what you are looking for I think

Nuncle
January 1st, 2019, 03:22
This is the message that I saw. I think it's close, but not exactly what I'm hoping for. If the players roll a 20 on their die, I want the damage to reflect that by automatically maxing whatever damage dice are associated to that weapon.
I'm suspecting that this might be a bit of a pipe dream. As I'm not smart enough to adjust all the weapons and spell attacks with this info :P
So I may just have to adjust the damage on the specific roll as it comes up...such is life, I guess :)

Nuncle
January 1st, 2019, 03:34
Yeah, I'm kind of finding that out...I may be out of luck for the specific plans I wanted to happen :P

SirGraystone
January 1st, 2019, 05:39
Create a 2nd weapon in the action tab called "Greataxe Critical" and don't put dice in the damage, only number for the critical damage (For a greataxe that would 12 x 2 so 24 + mod.). Then attack normally and when the player roll 20 have him use the critical damage instead of the normal one.

LordEntrails
January 1st, 2019, 05:58
The easiest thing would to be to make a second damage roll for crits. In that second damage just manually calculate the max damage (i.e. 1d8 weapon crits for 2d8 so 16) and put that number (16) in the damage field.

Myself, I use the Improved Crit extension linked above, but it only maxes the first die.

Nuncle
January 1st, 2019, 17:41
Create a 2nd weapon in the action tab called "Greataxe Critical" and don't put dice in the damage, only number for the critical damage (For a greataxe that would 12 x 2 so 24 + mod.). Then attack normally and when the player roll 20 have him use the critical damage instead of the normal one.

Yup, I think that's going to be the route I have to go...thanks! :)

Nuncle
January 1st, 2019, 17:43
The easiest thing would to be to make a second damage roll for crits. In that second damage just manually calculate the max damage (i.e. 1d8 weapon crits for 2d8 so 16) and put that number (16) in the damage field.

Myself, I use the Improved Crit extension linked above, but it only maxes the first die.

Yeah, in order to have it do what I want it to do, I'll have to go with the second damage option instead of the extension, you're right...