PDA

View Full Version : Problem: While hosting guest dice rolls and chat stops working/I cant connect as a gu

Rusher
December 31st, 2018, 07:56
Hi All,

A friend and I both have ultimate licenses.

When I host a game they can log in and everything is fine for the first minute or so. They start to make a character and I can no longer see their dice rolls or chat.
Relogging fixes this, but it repeats moments later.

When I try to log into a game they host I cannot log in. I get the "Connecting..." message.

Here is some general info:
- Windows 10
- I am on a private network
- I have one router
- 1802 is open
- Fantasy Grounds is open on incoming Firewall
- Static IP
- Connection test is successful
- Tracert Info
I'll add this if needed

Thanks in advance

damned
December 31st, 2018, 08:33
Welcome Rusher

Can you launch a serving session on your computer and connect to
localhost
See if the same thing happens to that client session

For the other.
Does their connection test pass?
Are they on a WiFi connection?
How solid is the WiFi strength?

Rusher
December 31st, 2018, 08:49
Hello,

Yes, I can run a localhost game without problem.

Their Connection test passes.
They are on WiFi. The strength is generally very good.
I am on a LAN by the way.

Thanks!

Welcome Rusher

Can you launch a serving session on your computer and connect to
localhost
See if the same thing happens to that client session

For the other.
Does their connection test pass?
Are they on a WiFi connection?
How solid is the WiFi strength?

damned
December 31st, 2018, 09:28
Can you have the other open two cmd potions and in the first type

ping 8.8.8.8 - n 1000

And in the other do the same command but long their router or gateway ip address

Do they excoriating any drops? What %%?

They could also try turning on compatability mode in settings.

damned
December 31st, 2018, 09:29
You may as well try the ping tests too.

Rusher
December 31st, 2018, 17:52
The ping test (ping 8.8.8.8 -n 1000) came back without any drops. avg 7ms

Sorry I don't follow on the 2nd part of your request? Were you just looking for the same test to the gateway IP address?
I can ping my Gateway IP address and ran that same ping test. no drops avg 1ms (I don't think that is what you wanted though)

Thanks!

You may as well try the ping tests too.

LordEntrails
December 31st, 2018, 20:05
See what the ping results are when you try to ping their gateway IP. i.e. change the 8.8.8.8 to whatever their IP is.

Rusher
December 31st, 2018, 21:40
I cannot ping their gateway IP. It timed out.

Adding to post:
I can however ping their static IP address. If that is relevant.

Thanks

See what the ping results are when you try to ping their gateway IP. i.e. change the 8.8.8.8 to whatever their IP is.

damned
December 31st, 2018, 22:27
Hi Rusher - Im mostly interested in the data from the other side.

The second ping test is to the router.
Pinging google gives an indication of overall packet loss including on the internet side.
If packet loss is occurring then running the ping also against the router will tell us if the loss if Wifi related or internet connection related.

Typically you wont be able to ping their gateway.

Rusher
January 1st, 2019, 00:13
Hello,

I was informed that the 8.8.8.8 teast and the gateway Ip test went through without a problem on their side.

Thanks

Hi Rusher - Im mostly interested in the data from the other side.

The second ping test is to the router.
Pinging google gives an indication of overall packet loss including on the internet side.
If packet loss is occurring then running the ping also against the router will tell us if the loss if Wifi related or internet connection related.

Typically you wont be able to ping their gateway.

damned
January 1st, 2019, 02:19
Have they tried compatibility mode in settings?

Rusher
January 1st, 2019, 02:23
Hi,

I will check the "Cross platform compatibility mode for Linux and Mac" and let you know how it goes.

Thanks and Happy new year

Have they tried compatibility mode in settings?

Rusher
January 1st, 2019, 22:15
Hello,

I have Compatibility mode turned on.
I am encountering the same problems.

What else can I try?

Thanks

damned
January 1st, 2019, 22:21
As per before I think the issue sounds more like its at their end.
Have they tried compatibility mode.
If they are online now they could try connecting to me (next 15mins or so) insane hook puny idol

Rusher
January 1st, 2019, 22:57
I went ahead and tried to connect and got an error message: could not connect to host. Check your network settings and verify the host address"

Looks like it is on my side.

Addition: When trying to connect to my friend's host account they see me connect, but on my side it stays in the "connecting..." mode and I don't get an error message, like I did when trying to connect to you.

As per before I think the issue sounds more like its at their end.
Have they tried compatibility mode.
If they are online now they could try connecting to me (next 15mins or so) insane hook puny idol

damned
January 1st, 2019, 23:47
I didnt see any connection attempt register on my side.
Ive changed locations and put the server back up if you want to try again.

Rusher
January 1st, 2019, 23:56
I am able to log into that server. Not sure if you can see my chat/dice rolls - this was the problem I had when people logged into a game I hosted.

devinlc
February 12th, 2019, 22:13
Hello. I am the person at the other end of RUSHER's connection issue. Since Rusher has been able to connect to other games, the problem is clearly on my end, and I would very much appreciate your help.

I have an MSI laptop running the latest Windows 10 update.

I have port forwarded to 1802 using the Port Forward program suggested by FG.

A RUN TEST on the FG launch screen results in SUCCESS every time.

Yet, when Rusher tries to connect to my campaign, he cannot. On my end, it says he is connected, but nothing ever happens.

Regards,

Devin

damned
February 12th, 2019, 22:22
Hi please post or pm your server alias and pop it up and we can have a quick test and see if all client connections are affected.

devinlc
February 12th, 2019, 22:33
My alias is:

just monk roasted bard

I am on it right now.

damned
February 12th, 2019, 22:53
Password?

devinlc
February 12th, 2019, 23:00
PM'd to you.

damned
February 12th, 2019, 23:13
I cant get a connection now - is the server still up?
And if it is - please check if you have any TCP Flood Protection or similar setting in your Routers Firewall settings and turn it off.

devinlc
February 12th, 2019, 23:20
The server is still up. In fact, I see a notice that you keep connecting and then disconnecting.

As far as TCP flood protection, I don't see that anywhere on my router settings. I do have a setting under Security allowing all new devices to connect (which is checked).

Stepping out for a bit. Will post when I am back.

damned
February 12th, 2019, 23:26
That setting is probably to allow LAN devices to join your network or Wifi and nothing to do with this issue.
What is your model Router please?
Something at your end - Hardware Router or Software Firewall/Antivirus is blocking/dropping/throttling incoming connections.

devinlc
February 13th, 2019, 00:16
My router model is Netgear Nighthawk R7000

My AV is the standard Windows 10 security.

damned
February 13th, 2019, 00:24
https://kb.netgear.com/8219/How-to-setup-Inbound-Outbound-firewall-rules-on-NETGEAR-Modem-router-gateways
https://portforward.com/netgear/nighthawk-r7000/

devinlc
February 13th, 2019, 00:39
My Netgear admin screen has a security tab on the left, like it says in the web page you referenced, but there is no subtab called FIREWALL RULES.

The subchoices under Security are:

Access Control
Block Sites
Block Services
Parental Controls
Schedule

BTW, under Block Services, it has checked "NEVER", indicating no services are blocked.

devinlc
February 19th, 2019, 20:30
Hello damned,

Just following up on our thread. Can you help me out any further?

Also, I wanted to test if the issue is with my network or my specific laptop, so I have another laptop at home I'd like to test FG out on and see if it works on it. Is it possible to load the full FG on a second laptop, or would that require me to pay for a second copy?

Thanks,

Devin

damned
February 19th, 2019, 20:37
You can load the full or demo on the laptop.
If its just for texting the demo will also accept a single connection.
Please put your table up again and resend me the details...

devinlc
February 19th, 2019, 20:55
PM'd you with the details.

LordEntrails
February 20th, 2019, 04:07
Note, you can load FG on a second computer with the same license as long as it is for your own use.

devinlc
February 21st, 2019, 04:49
So. Weirdness abounds.

I tried, as suggested by Damned (thanks for your help, BTW), to disable TCP Flood Control....didn't help.

I then loaded up FG on my old laptop. And it worked! My friend was able to connect and roll dice and everything.

Which is sort of a problem because my old laptop sucks, is on its last legs, and is very slow. I really can't run a campaign on it.

Now, at least I know it is my MSI laptop that is somehow the problem and not my network settings or anything like that. But I'd really like to get FG working on my new laptop. Not sure what could be causing the problem. Both laptops are using the latest version of Windows 10. Both have the same Windows 10 AV. Both have the same firewall settings. Could there really be some hardware issue causing this? If so....any ideas?

BTW, my new laptop has also had a problem with the generic Windows 10 email program that comes with Windows 10. It can receive mail, but it cannot send it out (sent emails always error out) and it cannot connect to Yahoo mail at all (my old lapgtop can do all of these things).

I will be going onto the MSI forums to see if they can help, but if anyone here has any ideas, I'd appreciate the help.

Regards,

Devin

damned
February 21st, 2019, 04:57
open an Administrative CMD prompt and type:

netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
nbtstat -RR

reboot
update your port forward settings as your laptop may have a new IP...

devinlc
March 8th, 2019, 03:53
Hello.

Well, I fixed the problem. Turns out it was a very obscure driver needing to be updated that was found by a proprietary driver updater put out by MSI. That fixed not only my FG problem, but my email problems as well.

Thanks for all of your assistance. It's nice to see good customer support, and I look forward to using FG now!